Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Help with install location?

kipper123kipper123 Posts: 595 Member
Hello! I’m super excited to finally have a new computer (it’s running Windows 10) and I’d like to install Sims 3 on my second hard drive, F.

However, I’m slightly unsure if there’s anything I need to know before attempting this? I have Sims 3 with all EPs and SPs as physical copies and I’m confident my computer will be able to handle running the game, but I was just cautious in case there are any complications to watch out for when installing everything on my F drive? I’m guessing any CC and screenshots will still be sent to documents in the C drive, so will I need to move that over to drive F as well? Is that possible?

Also, I’ve never used mods but I’d like to give nraas a go. It sounds like the best way to enjoy a smooth gaming experience! I don’t really know anything about the mod, so will there be problems if I use it on my game installed in drive F?

Thanks for reading! I’m not the most tech savvy person, so I’ll appreciate any help.

Edit: oh wait, I have island paradise as a download. The others are all on disk.
Always remember you are braver than you think, stronger than you seem and smarter than you believe ~ Christopher Robin

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    The decision to install the game on a second (I hope internal, not external) drive is usually dictated by how much space there is on C. How large is the C drive to begin with?

If F is definitely the way to go, note that you will need to create a subfolder on F first if you don't already have one for such purposes and direct the installation there. In other words, you cannot install directly on F:\ but you should be able to on F:\Program Files (or whatever you want to call the new sub-directory).

Your TS3 user game folder will stay in Documents. The best/easiest way to prevent that from taking up too much space on C over time is usually to redirect Documents in its entirety to F at the Windows level. The game (and mods, etc.) doesn't really care which physical volume these things are located on as long as it can find them.

https://www.dummies.com/computers/operating-systems/windows-10/how-to-change-the-location-of-user-folders-in-windows-10
    (sorry for the name of the site here, but they do provide some good illustrations)

If even one of your EPs is going to be an Origin digital install (is this what you meant?), then your game will be Origin controlled and you will land on Patch 1.69. Many find it simpler to just go ahead and do the install all through Origin then, provided the base game and all of the packs were yours to register or can be registered now as using the discs is too cumbersome and you will end up in almost the same place in the end.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • kipper123kipper123 Posts: 595 Member
    @igazor Thanks so much for your reply! Yes the second hard drive is internal, I’m trying to save space on my primary drive as I’m an animator (working in Maya) and I’m hoping to keep drive C dedicated to that purpose.

And yep Island Paradise was legally purchased as a digital install through Origin! Sorry, I should have made that clear. Thanks again for all the info, I really appreciate it and I’ll check out the link now :D
    Always remember you are braver than you think, stronger than you seem and smarter than you believe ~ Christopher Robin
  • jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    @igazor You're a lifesaver :) Thank you so much for the explanation and the link!
    NymlADp.jpg