Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is getting GF worth it if you don't care about acting?

DreamaDoveDreamaDove Posts: 393 Member
Most of the pack seems devoted to that, but it's not something that has ever interested me.

I am interested in the fame aspect, but I've always liked it for live performance careers like magic, bands, and even acrobatics/stunts. I like that you can get famous through regular jobs, but it's not the focus of the pack so it's not particularly developed.

I also want the reputation system, but it's just a small part of this pack and I wish there was more to it... for it to be deeper like in ts3.

I don't know. I really want to get it because I'm desperate for new gameplay since ts4 is just boring to me right now, but since acting is the focus of the pack and not something I care for, I don't know if I'll be wasting my money by only using 30% of the pack.

Not to mention... most of CAS and BB are props and costumes for the acting career... I don't have a use for it and I'll just bloat my game.

What do you think? Is there enough OTHER elements than acting in this expansion to be worth buying it?

Comments

• KJBKJB Posts: 173 Member
    I'm in the same boat as you, but I actually LOVE the CAS and BB. It isn't all costumes and props, there are some very nice clothing and hairstyles and beautiful BB. I'm just waiting for a sale. It's $26.99 right now on the cdkeys website.
    And you never know, we might actually enjoy the acting career. :blush:
    0G9Un6T.gif
  • DreamaDoveDreamaDove Posts: 393 Member
    KJB wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat as you, but I actually LOVE the CAS and BB. It isn't all costumes and props, there are some very nice clothing and hairstyles and beautiful BB. I'm just waiting for a sale. It's $26.99 right now on the cdkeys website.
    And you never know, we might actually enjoy the acting career. :blush:

psst.... it's $20 right now on best buy... that's why I'm trying to decide....

I don't like the extravagant BB.. the golden stuff isn't even nice, it's tacky. And so much of the rest is props?? What am I going to do with that? CAS is skimpy, I think. Only costumes or over-the-top items. I don't even have a sim I'd like to be an actor. None of my sims are interested--though they would be interested in the liver performance things I talked about before. I have ~40 sims--most of them teens-- and it's just not something that matters to them. I honestly don't know that many people that are into acting, anyway. Maybe if it was theatrical acting, like for musicals and plays. but TV??? ugh.

• LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    edited November 2018
    One thing I was pleasantly surprised was, it actually opens up the music and singing (if you have this skill) part of the game. Your sim can create, produce, sell records, and actually hear/listen to them play on the radio and stereos on the game. The costumes are pretty much locked up until you either use a mod to unlock them or unlock them through career game played.
    LaBlue0314 wrote: »
    One thing I was pleasantly surprised was, it actually opens up the music and singing (if you have this skill) part of the game. Your sim can create, produce, sell records, and actually hear/listen to them play on the radio and stereos on the game. The costumes are pretty much locked up until you either use a mod to unlock them or unlock them through career game played.

can you play the tracks you make with the DJ station from Get Together? If so, that might be significant.

I dunno... again, it's the live performance aspect of fame that I like. I want concerts. Just 'uploading' things into imaginary web for make believe (like the livestream videos) seems silly to me. I feel like it should be more concrete. I do like the swordfighting interaction, but apparently that's just for acting? I wish it was a skill. That'd be something I'd be interested in.

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    DreamaDove wrote: »

can you play the tracks you make with the DJ station from Get Together? If so, that might be significant.

I dunno... again, it's the live performance aspect of fame that I like. I want concerts. Just 'uploading' things into imaginary web for make believe (like the livestream videos) seems silly to me. I feel like it should be more concrete. I do like the swordfighting interaction, but apparently that's just for acting? I wish it was a skill. That'd be something I'd be interested in.

If you do get it, make sure you turn off Fame under Game Options, I read if you don't your towns will be overrun with celebs interrupting everything because other Sims stop doing what they should be doing like in your stores, restaurants etc.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    Cinebar wrote: »

If you do get it, make sure you turn off Fame under Game Options, I read if you don't your towns will be overrun with celebs interrupting everything because other Sims stop doing what they should be doing like in your stores, restaurants etc.

what?

but like... isn't that the whole point of GF? Won't that also turn off fame for your sims, too? Isn't fame the whole point of the pack? If I have to turn off the main feature, then it's not worth it at all.

• LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    edited November 2018
    @DreamaDove
    I don't know, hadn't thought to check that part. There is this device that comes with GF that opens it up. They also came out with a new style microphone. Both of these come in 3 different colors.

46831257_1157701007713526_7668117581009518592_o.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.xx&oh=4cdae46a248a6cde1960dfc934cf2525&oe=5CA87DD7
  • SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,308 Member

what?

but like... isn't that the whole point of GF? Won't that also turn off fame for your sims, too? Isn't fame the whole point of the pack? If I have to turn off the main feature, then it's not worth it at all.

You can toggle it off so that new sims don't spawn with fame, but it doesn't take away fame from sims that already have it. You can turn on fame for any individual sim of your choice.
  • simwolfsimwolf Posts: 323 Member

If you disable fame globally to prevent random celebrities, then you can manually enable for individual sims in their simology panel. Gives you total control then, but the game ships with several premade celebs also.
    The Simwolf - happily simming since 2000
    My Sims, Saves and Challenges

Gallery: simwolf79 Twitter: @SimwolfSims
  • SimsweetieSimsweetie Posts: 562 Member

what?

No, your sims can still get famous but ONLY your sims (and sims who were already famous like Judith Ward). Otherwise the game will randomly make townies famous for no apparent reason and you've got sparkling famous people everywhere causing chaos.

what?

You can toggle it off so that new sims don't spawn with fame, but it doesn't take away fame from sims that already have it. You can turn on fame for any individual sim of your choice.

Oh good, very good. This makes sense.

• SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,308 Member
    It's nice because that way my Leader of the World and my bestselling author can be 5 star celebrities (eventually) but I don't have to worry about ending up with a world famous part-time barista. :p
  • QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    Important to note that even sims that aren’t celebrities still have reputations. It seems more developed than the sims 3’s, but that might just because I don’t hate the things that give you a bad reputation. The whole “you woohoo’d a supernatural” was super obnoxious, and weirdly racist. My sim isn’t getting falsely accused either, which is nice.
  • lynxchildlynxchild Posts: 15 Member
    I'm enjoying it. I was going to skip it completely because I wasn't at all interested in acting, either, but I'm finding I actually like playing that career. Fame itself is fun so far, too, but I haven't gotten very far on that track.
    QueenMercy wrote: »
    Important to note that even sims that aren’t celebrities still have reputations. It seems more developed than the sims 3’s, but that might just because I don’t hate the things that give you a bad reputation. The whole “you woohoo’d a supernatural” was super obnoxious, and weirdly racist. My sim isn’t getting falsely accused either, which is nice.

I mean, it's kinda realistic. Lol. I don't think people RL would react any different to someone hooking up with a vampire or werewolf. If I get the pack, it'd be probably to make all my renegade sims infamous, so I might be it for that.

I really do like the fame and reputation, but I really wish it wasn't so packed with CAS and BB that is only useful for the acting career or overly obnoxious rich sims. There's nothing so far I've seen in either BB or CAS that I like, and I hate that if I get the pack it's just going to clutter my catalogue more and load the game slower.
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    I just want to thank you for mentioning the best buy sale. I was able to buy GF and JA plus perfect patio for the exact same price as a bundle normally is. Keeps me from having to wait since bundles aren't active with GF right now on origin.
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited November 2018
    Been enjoying it myself took me about two to three days to even get around to the acting part.

The costumes I do enjoy as I really like having more of these due to costume parties or displaying at geekcon.

Having penny in the social media career plus using the media production table is a great combo. Art and food critic too. Used the drones with some of my other freelancing sims for art related videos and painting.

Glad there mid-century furniture to fancy pants one that's overly expensive for my sims to finally spend their money on things.

Though if fame never seemed that appealing to you you probably don't think it's worth it and then one can always wait on a sale. I do like the reputation system.

Thought it was boring and lack luster in 3 though it caught like a virus even when you weren't playing the sim. And in superstar it was too grindy though I did enjoy the quirkiness of it.

So I was surprised that this pack had some deep gameplay to it because I honestly wasn't gonna buy it. The set pieces are really good if you want to try more fantasy related stories for your sims. The sleeping pods make for really good beds for my alien sims.
    Post edited by LadyKyn on
    5vJrxmT.png
  • SimsFinest1SimsFinest1 Posts: 326 Member
    I wasnt into acting or at least I didnt think I was. Its actually fun and I was pleasantly surprised! I got it mostly for build mode items but I really got into the auditions and doing gigs!
  • citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    edited November 2018
    Do any of you know if the staus of your club from Get Together (infamous, obscure, popular) affect your reputation? For example would being in the renegades lower your reputation because they have the infamous club perk?
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

Akl500P wrote: »
    I just want to thank you for mentioning the best buy sale. I was able to buy GF and JA plus perfect patio for the exact same price as a bundle normally is. Keeps me from having to wait since bundles aren't active with GF right now on origin.

you welcome :)
  • KJBKJB Posts: 173 Member
    @DreamaDove I had no idea it would be $20 on Best Buy. I wish it were on Amazon since I have credit there, but best buy works too. Thanks for the notice! :)
    0G9Un6T.gif
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    So far I'm really enjoying it and haven't touched the acting career yet. I have had my sim practice acting in public though it's pretty funny. Since it .. fame.. can be gotten in so many ways I didn't know where to start. I had my sim join the rabbithole entertainer career and it's been a fun ride He streams, does public performances of both comedy and singing. His roommate is a painter and critic. It's made everything more exciting... even rabbithole stuff for me and that's saying a lot.
    I've found it hard to move away from this save that I basically just made as a throw away because of the aging bug that was fixed.
    I'll have to go back to all the stories I prepared for later though. I have to get him to at least 5 stars first...
    egTcBMc.png
  • Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member
    I haven't touched the acting career, but I'm really enjoying this pack. My Sims are recording and posting drone videos almost daily as if they're recording episodes of a reality series, and they're currently making about $6k per day on them. The Build/Buy items are really nice, too.

I also have fun with the paps. I don't do anything mean to them, but I noticed they're not nearly as annoying as they were in TS3. In fact, I usually have my Sims pose for them and offer autographs when they come around their home or wherever they are.
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Overall I'd say no since there's still a lot to do even if you don't play the acting career. Like you mentioned, any career can get you fame, plus there are the new media production objects which add new gameplay.

But as you mentioned, yeah a lot of the CAS and BB is solely for the acting career. I can understand feeling like you aren't getting many options if you don't plan to ever use those things.

If anything, try to go for it on sale :)
  • EA_CianEA_Cian Posts: 1,359 EA Staff (retired)
    Real quick!

I've moved this to our Expansion Packs section. Carry on. :smile:
    ~my hair color is frequently changing, so my Sim reflects that~

Have questions about necroposting? Check out our Necroposting thread.

Bugs/Issues should be posted on Answers HQ, learn more over on Update on The Sims 4 Help Center.