Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is this a glitch? Or what am I missing?

So I'd say definitely over 50% of the time, probably closer to 75%, when my babies age up to toddlers, they're fat (like in the top third part of the weight scale somewhere). Their moms are always on the thin side (current one is less than a third of the way up on the weight scale). The dads are always average weight or pretty lean or somewhere in between. Yet the toddlers are aging up at much higher weights than either parent most of the time.

I know the weight for children is supposed to be based on genetics from the parents so I am not sure why this is happening. I would think this was a glitch but this has been happening since before the update and still after (I would guess if it was a glitch it would have been addressed by now). Is this happening in anyone else's game? I do have full edit mode enabled in CAS so I usually just slide the weight back down to match one of the parents' (or somewhere in between).
I have a YouTube Channel dedicated to Sims 4! You can find it here if you are so inclined!

www.youtube.com/c/LadySweettart

Comments

• MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,176 Member
    How often do you feed them as babies? If you overfeed your babies, they're more likely to be on the chubby side when they grow into toddlers.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • ladysweettartladysweettart Posts: 239 Member
    edited November 2018
    Hmmm, I guess that depends on what the game considers overfeeding. I don't usually wait until they're crying before feeding them, but I do usually feed them every four sim hours or so. I just always thought if the babies weren't hungry, they'd reject the feeding, I've also noticed they feed for less time if not as much time has passed. I do breastfeed them 90% of the time too, not sure if that makes a difference.

If that is the case I sort of have an issue with the game doing that. We know in real life that studies show chubby babies actually end up growing into thinner adults, not to mention I'm pretty sure live babies feed as their hunger dictates, i.e. when they aren't as hungry they simply don't eat as much. If the game is encouraging players to wait to feed their babies when they're starving, or else making them fat, that seems wrong to me.
    I have a YouTube Channel dedicated to Sims 4! You can find it here if you are so inclined!

• x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    My twins Sims used to be chubby since they were a toddler until they are a teen. The parents have an average body type, pretty much slim & slender. My guess is, I fed them quite often & there's no way for a toddler & a child to work out. TBH, initially, I was surprised, but I would prefer not to use any cheat, so I waited until they grew up and get them to work out almost every day. :D

You can see their transition here. :D
    Y3o1k86.png?1
    xzFHfT7.png
    u7EoO7H.png?1
    x7XkoId.png?1
    NWpNDgD.png
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • Saunta2Saunta2 Posts: 870 Member
    I don't think they can be overfed as they reject the feeding if they're not hungry. Most of mine grow up quite chunky too. Then if I don't change it, they're chunky children and I heard the monkey bars is supposed to make children lose weight but it didn't do anything for me.
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    @XAmira99, aww, they are cute as chubby toddlers! I never knew you could have chubby toddlers in the game, I never feed babies until they are crying and don't have a dirty diaper. I give them enough attention that I know it isn't social when they are crying, so if it isn't diaper, it's food they need.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • poemetragurlpoemetragurl Posts: 17 Member
    > @MDianaSanders said:
    > How often do you feed them as babies? If you overfeed your babies, they're more likely to be on the chubby side when they grow into toddlers.

This. I used to overfeed my babies and they were all like that. Now, when they cry I usually use 'shoosh' or 'hush' and they go back to sleep. I only feed them when they are hungry now. I haven't had that problem since.
  • HowGreatThouArtHowGreatThouArt Posts: 1,662 Member
    If you have Parenthood (or maybe it's just BG?) you can use the "Find Out What's Wrong" interaction on the bassinet, and a thought bubble will appear above the baby's head indicating what he/she needs. There should be no danger of over-feeding the baby then.
    aSE16f8.gif
  • BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    I don't feed the babies every 4 hours. Maybe 3 times within 24 hrs. When they cry sometimes they need a diaper change or attention so I have my sims cuddle or rock them.
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • samemiesamemie Posts: 1,623 Member
    I don't know for sure, but I used to have this issue when I fed them as soon as they started crying. These days, I do 2 or 3 social interactions before feeding them to be sure that food is what they want, and they rarely if ever grow up chubby so I do think you can overfeed them. I never feed them before they start crying. However, I now have a lot of kids the total opposite side who are incredibly thin upon aging up so I've found it pretty hard to get the balance right.
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    @XAmira99, aww, they are cute as chubby toddlers! I never knew you could have chubby toddlers in the game, I never feed babies until they are crying and don't have a dirty diaper. I give them enough attention that I know it isn't social when they are crying, so if it isn't diaper, it's food they need.

Thanks @Stormkeep! :D I always fed them even when their hunger was only half, and I always get them to finish their food. And since the father was a chef (now, he is an investor :)), my assumption is, it's filled up their hunger pretty fast, although there is still lots of food on the plate. While when they were babies, I would say that, I kept on feeding them whenever they woke up and play with them afterward. :D Shrek once said, "All they do is eat and poop, and then they cry, and they cry when they poop, and poop when they cry." ;)
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • cactusflowercactusflower Posts: 31 Member
    This thread is helpful because I've recently had an epidemic of mysteriously chubby toddlers and children born to genetically fit parents, and I didn't realize you could overfeed them as babies.

Thinking about it, I never use the highchair for toddlers since it's so buggy. I let them grab a plate themselves off of the table and I only just learned that certain dishes will make a Sim gain weight faster. I wonder if my Sim toddlers are so plump because of all the city food stall recipes that I was filling up the refrigerator with.

(That being said, many updates ago I remember having all of my Sim children avoid leveling the motor skill because if they got above 4 skill level or something they would age into a ridiculously skeletal body type that made them all look sick. Glad it's been fixed though.)

On a related note, does anybody know if there's a difference between bottle feed and breast feed? Or rather, how it affects Sim children?
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Wasn't this an old bug back in 2014? I think I read a bug thread about this.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • SimsweetieSimsweetie Posts: 562 Member
    If you feed them too much as babies they will be chubby toddlers. Feeding them every four hours is crazy, you should only feed them when they cry (and don't have a dirty diaper). On average I only feed my babies 2 or 3 times a day. Yes if they were real babies that would be nuts but these are sim babies, they don't need that much food.

Also when they are toddlers, watch what they eat. Instant high chair meals are fattening, cook for them instead. Garden salad, fruit salad, fish, chicken etc.
  • alyssa123alyssa123 Posts: 323 Member
    i used to have this issue too. then i started to only feed my babies once the "*baby's name* is very hungry! feed them soon before social services takes them away" or whatever it is thing pops up and i'm not having any more problems with chubby children
    when gravity falls and the earth becomes sky, fear the beast with just one eye
  • ladysweettartladysweettart Posts: 239 Member
    edited December 2018
    Well with the last baby I waited until she cried before feeding her and she still aged up chubbier than both her parents (who are both pretty thin ..her father is Joaquin and we all know how skinny he is, mom is at comparable thinness also). So I'm pretty sure it's something buggy.

Also to be clear I was saying I fed them every four hours at the most ...not that it was always that amount of time (for example when everyone is sleeping I don't wake mom or anyone else up just to feed the babies every four hours).

How are some of you ending up with babies who only want fed 2-3 times a sim day? That must be nice. After this experiment of waiting for the babies to cry before feeding them, I've noticed they still want to eat at least four times a day (and I know that's why they were crying because they didn't have a dirty diaper and they turned green after, and feeding won't satisfy their social need like in Sims 3 so it wasn't that either).

Also I have had it happen where babies rejected the feeding, like if my sim throws a party and mom has just fed the baby, baby cries in the middle of the party, and a well-meaning guest goes up to the baby and tried giving it a bottle ..... They don't eat long and a minus sign appears. So I really don't know that currently you can overfeed the babies like you can toddlers and all the ages above. Especially since I tried waiting until they cried and they still aged up with a higher weight than parents. In this case I really think there might be something glitchy causing the babies in my game to age up fatter.