Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Generic Lots - What are they?

I've seen this option in my game but I never understood what is it and why is it there. Can anyone help me?
Brazilian guy here, so my English is not that good.

fB7mWIn.gif
Spinning toilets confurm3d!!!!11!!1!1!!!!11!

Comments

• kendallrankendallran Posts: 125 Member
    They’re lots that you can make anything of
  • AriaMad2AriaMad2 Posts: 1,380 Member
    I guess it’s for if you want to make something different that’s not available, such as a photography lab or a ceinma.
    F€€Ł ŦĦ€ ŴΔV€ ØF ŞØỮŇĐ, ΔŞ ƗŦ ĆŘΔŞĦ€Ş ĐØŴŇ

ĴØIŇ UŞ ĆØŇŞUΜ€ ŦĦ€ FŘUIŦ ØF ŦĦ€ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ΔŇĐ KŇØŴ P€ΔĆ€
  • whimreaperwhimreaper Posts: 361 Member
    It describes them as "this lot has no requirements" or something, so it's probably just for making a public venue that you don't want any restrictions for building (i.e. you can make a gym with less equipment/no showers or a new type of lot not available (cinema or photography studio, as mentioned above)).
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    A Generic lot has no item requirements when building. The only thing that agrevates me is that they don't attract other Sims and they aren't available as an scheduled event destination. For instance when I want to throw a bday party it won't be an option in the location category.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • barraakenobarraakeno Posts: 489 Member
    leetamme wrote: »
    A Generic lot has no item requirements when building. The only thing that agrevates me is that they don't attract other Sims and they aren't available as an scheduled event destination. For instance when I want to throw a bday party it won't be an option in the location category.

So, no one visits a generic lot if I don't travel with them?
    Brazilian guy here, so my English is not that good.

fB7mWIn.gif
    Spinning toilets confurm3d!!!!11!!1!1!!!!11!
  • sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    I use it for my cemetery and for a church, and for a wedding venue, I just have to change the lot to bar when I want to have a wedding. So, like @leetamme mentioned it's frustrating that you can't use generic lots when you go to have a wedding.
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    edited November 2018
    If you are in a neighborhood with your sim that has a generic lot when if you click on it to travel it will say "visit the isolated venue with.."
    You can invite others to travel to it with your sim or call and invite them later.
    I use it for home away from home areas, storytelling, picture taking ect.
    I like that it's secluded because you can control what sims are there.
    My main beef with it is that you can't set up or bring clubs there..
    egTcBMc.png
  • NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    This was always my understanding: A lot type usually has requirements because the game is coded to have Sims behave a certain way there. E.g. a bar requires a bar, Stereo and TV, because Sims are coded to show up there and use those items, get drinks, dance, watch TV, different interactions. A generic lot has no requirements, therefore no coding. It also attracts no other Sims for this reason, they would just be standing around and/or all using the object on the lot that is the most fun and there would be no variety in their behaviour.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • alyssa123alyssa123 Posts: 323 Member
    i only ever use generic lots for private family cemeteries, otherwise i dont bother. it's frankly ridiculous that you cant host social events at them
    when gravity falls and the earth becomes sky, fear the beast with just one eye
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    For me, generic lots are super useful when making film. Say I want to record a scene in a museum. The Museum lot will attract lots of non controllable sims, mostly they will run in front of "camera", ruining the filming. If I use the tag "Generic" just for that filming session, no sims outside my control will visit the lot, meaning I can control the situation 100%. The Council house in my series "As Sims Go By" is actually tagged as Museum because I want sims to come there when I play my game, but it's mostly set to Generic when I record.

In game play Generic means a quiet lot with none or very few visitors. The San Myshuino Meadows Park is an example. Good if you want to host a wedding or want two sims having a private date without lots of strangers joining in on their chatting :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • MiyomioMiyomio Posts: 1 New Member
    From what i understand, generic lots prevent other NPC sims to visit the lot so basically this generic type lot will have no visitors. Its like a 'private gate away' or maybe like a special venue for your sims to hang out. I have made like a 'company' for my sims and i actually think that it is great to have this kind of lot where there are no random NPCs show up :# :*
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,284 Member
    The only trouble I've run into with the Generic status of a lot, is oftentimes they don't show up for Events as a place to go. I had to change the designation to that of lounge to send my Sim there for a concert. And the wedding venue I created also had to be changed to lounge, in order to send my Sims there for the wedding Event.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    They're gosh dang annoying. I made a wedding parlor with them once, and that was when I found out that you can't have events at them without mods.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    I find them pointless. i used them at first and thought sims would visit them anyway and use the stuff I put on the lot, but sims do not visit these lots so WHAT ARE THEY!?? Do not understand how they forgot about lot types. It lacks so much in creativity and gameplay for years.
  • verlainemverlainem Posts: 837 Member
    Well that explains why the learning centre I downloaded didn't have any other sims there. Question then what would be the best choice for a learning / skilling centre? Library?
    EA ID burnished_dragon
  • Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,183 Member
    For me they are useless. Now if we could set a club there or have events there, I'd be happy. I don't really like my church to be set as a nightclub.
  • phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    The only time I actually use Generic lots is with a prom mod, but I've considered using it for second homes/summer homes. It's basically a private lot that you don't actually have to buy, so why not?
    verlainem wrote: »
    Well that explains why the learning centre I downloaded didn't have any other sims there. Question then what would be the best choice for a learning / skilling centre? Library?

Library sounds like a good bet. When in doubt, since you already have a lot, go through the lot types and see which ones have the requirements filled.
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    Churches can be set as museums. That's what I do for wedding venues.

Generic lots may come in very handy for using as a vacation home in island living.
  • xstxrrysequencexstxrrysequence Posts: 3,194 Member
    I set all the residential lots that don’t have sims living in them to Generic so that stupid townies can’t completely fill up the world.
    image0.gif
    Do you like games that involve strategy? Do you like solving a mystery?
    Come try a Mafia Game!
  • sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    generic is good for cemeteries.
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • verlainemverlainem Posts: 837 Member
    I set all the residential lots that don’t have sims living in them to Generic so that stupid townies can’t completely fill up the world.

I just click don't fill empty houses.
    EA ID burnished_dragon
  • Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    Yeah, most lots will spawn visitors or families, based on the objects in that lot, however, you put the toddler stuff out the toddlers do not spawn with there other family members so it makes the play date event impossible to start if your sims know no toddlers, but plenty of Toddlers in not in this world. Also i wish they had a special phone or option like they did in the Sims 3 that listed sims from not in this world we could call. Also another problem I have is any sim that is spawned with the new expansion pack will be put in not in this world, I wish they had 3 more tabs one for Out Door Retreat, not in this world sims, Jungle Adventure, Not in this world Sims, that way you could tell where each sim was from.
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

"Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
  • JC1979JC1979 Posts: 491 Member
    @barraakeno no, sims will visit generic lots as long as you have traits set for them. I’ve made a Dave and Busters type establishment set the traits to “party place,” “chefs kitchen” and “convivial.” And I have made a cemetery on a generic lot. Wedding venues do not work on generic lots.
  • Jasper7702Jasper7702 Posts: 300 Member
    Churches can be set as museums. That's what I do for wedding venues.

Generic lots may come in very handy for using as a vacation home in island living.

Omg!! Very true! It would only be lacking the rental like features, but it’s better than nothing!
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Club
    verlainem wrote: »

Yeah libraries work. Or cafés. I wanted to make a center for my freelancers to work, so I'll have to go around town, make sure not only my sims but also others have freelance jobs (+ social media + stylist + acting), then add them to clubs (a club for freelance artists and stylists, a club for freelance programmer, a clubfor actors, a club for writers), create said clubs. That way the café itself is essentially open to all sims, but I lock the doors around it to specific clubs only, so that to them it's a work space and so that it won't be crowded by other sims (but they're still there to add a bit of liveliness to the thing).

You can essentially do the same thing with libraries though, I just wanted them to have a cantine-like place where they can drink coffee / have a lunch break during the day. But it's always just a teeny tiny bit laborous (especially in new saves like the one I'm currently in).

Generic lots are useless for this cause no barista or guests will spawn :/ But I think we can use them for clubs.