Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Asian townies

Comments

• ParmaViolet87ParmaViolet87 Posts: 1,800 Member
    @SparklyBecca I've had three Shingos in my game and goodness knows how many Tanakis :neutral:
    giphy.gif
  • Rae357Rae357 Posts: 922 Member
    I haven't noticed any hair stuff because the majority of my townies all have these types of names. It's really kind of annoying. Since CL the townies are very ethnic with either clothing/names, their looks don't necessarily match. At one time I had three different Mariko Mori's running around. Awesome name, but a bit much.
  • SparklyBeccaSparklyBecca Posts: 106 Member
    @ParmaViolet87 Wow, so not just me then. It starts to get very confusing, especially if you're doing a challenge. It's not always easy to see who's related to who :/
  • KolikokolitkaKolikokolitka Posts: 178 Member
    edited November 2018
    What I did:
    1. download English names for everyone from Mod the Sims
    2. open it in Sims 4 Studio
    3. open "tuning", there are categories that are then divided in different languages. First category is just the names that are generated in CAS and should be use for random townies (but aren't), then categories: Latin, Maroccan, Indian, Japanese and then one for Pets and Skeletons
    4. Each category is not only divided in different languages but also to three other categories - female names, male names and surnames
    5. Copy the biggest category female names (the first category) and past it in "female" categories in categories for the Latin, Maroccan, Indian and Japanese names
    6. Repeat this with male names and surnames
    7. Save it - now your NPCs will have different names than just few Japanese ones.

screenshot-1542737959.png

screenshot-1542738050.png

screenshot-1542738179.png

screenshot-1542738351.png

screenshot-1542738459.png

I play with the English names so I am not certainly sure if you should alter other two tunings (under "tuning") and change something there if you want to use this with your language names. What I noticed is that all original names are preserved and it is just changed in the first part to "ENGLISH" so maybe it will be enough to change your language back (i.e. instead of cz-cs: ENGLISH to cz-cs: CZECH)

screenshot-1542737740.png

I am at the club with my sim now and townies are called: Kiley Cary, Dustin Broke, Riley Redd, Lewis Lloyd, Simon Brewer...
    EA ID: Simkiim (you can find all my Maxis-only builds on Gallery)
    My build previews on this site HERE.
  • barraakenobarraakeno Posts: 489 Member
    Nice Fix. I'll try it later :D
    Brazilian guy here, so my English is not that good.

fB7mWIn.gif
    Spinning toilets confurm3d!!!!11!!1!1!!!!11!
  • SeashoreLiviaSeashoreLivia Posts: 833 Member
    You can use a mod for less City Living names. It's been updated for the latest patch. :)

h t t p ://modthesims.info/download.php?t=614664
  • KolikokolitkaKolikokolitka Posts: 178 Member
    You can use a mod for less City Living names. It's been updated for the latest patch. :)

h t t p ://modthesims.info/download.php?t=614664
    Lol, or that :smiley:

EA ID: Simkiim (you can find all my Maxis-only builds on Gallery)
    My build previews on this site HERE.
    Ooh thanks for the solutions, folks! :smiley:
    giphy.gif
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    Almost all my townies look the same too. It's really annoying.
  • feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    I always have to edit my townies, and those moving into empty houses. not so much for names and looks. but their traits, most have the evil trait and even those with children have the hate children and none committal. So I change their traits and their clothes. But now I put those wardrobes in community lots so I can change their clothes at least.
  • February11February11 Posts: 12,655 Member
    aaronrulz wrote: »
    Jprp83 wrote: »
    This is probably just me nitpicking, but has anyone else noticed that, since CL, townies with japanese sounding names tend to be always blonde? I noticed that their other facial features usually match the japanese name. I think the devs meant to make their hair always black, but something went wrong. It happens too much in my game for it to be just a coincidence. It's not a huge deal, but....

I think it's a huge deal. It's annoying that the new generated sims, since CL was released, that all the names are of asian and middle eastern descent no matter what they look like. It's overkill, and as you have experienced, it often doesn't match. I go in to CAS to change their name. I recently had a blonde girl who had an asian named and changed it to Heather McDonald. haha, because she clearly was a blonde, white chick, not an asian.

There's a good Scottish name!
    I do the same thing, and some of the outfits they show up in are horrendous!
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Rae357Rae357 Posts: 922 Member
    I noticed two sims on the acting set had nearly identical names so I went and looked at the names for all those on the lot:
    Masato Suzuki
    Masato Sasaki
    Kengo Sasaki
    Shingo Sakamoto
    Houda Ichmauin
    Maki Yamamoto
    Aarav Savalani
    Britney Skinner
    Siya Ramesh
    Averie Guevara
    Mehdi Al Arabi
    Navya Chandran
    Izumi Mori
    Kent Cole
    Rae357 wrote: »
    I noticed two sims on the acting set had nearly identical names so I went and looked at the names for all those on the lot:
    Masato Suzuki
    Masato Sasaki
    Kengo Sasaki
    Shingo Sakamoto
    Houda Ichmauin
    Maki Yamamoto
    Aarav Savalani
    Britney Skinner
    Siya Ramesh
    Averie Guevara
    Mehdi Al Arabi
    Navya Chandran
    Izumi Mori
    Kent Cole

Yep. This pretty much sums up my game's demographic.
    giphy.gif
  • Kamb64Kamb64 Posts: 2,546 Member
    I was trying to play my game vanilla, but, this thing with all the sims in my game except the ones I make are supposedly from Asia or something. I have nothing against them I just would like to sometimes see other name types. Like John or Mary or Sue for example. I am going to have to download a mod.
  • AlwaysAskingAlwaysAsking Posts: 1,403 Member
    FKM100 wrote: »
    I am really enjoying the wider range of ethnic types appearing in the game since CL, but I too have found that the townie generation function doesn't always get things right. I have seen some really implausible combinations of name and ethnic appearance and yes, it does bother me.

Like some other players, I periodically go through all the NPC households in my game and edit them in CAS. I don't bother to use full edit mode, but I fix what I can to make the characters' appearance match their names (eg, change skin & hair color and features) and I change their clothes and body shape to something one would be more likely to find in RL. My game seems to have an inexplicable preference for certain clothing items (the maxi skirt is one of them) and these seem to show up all over the place, ad nauseam, regardless of suitability. Also, I have found lately that most of my townie women are impossibly fat, with enormous stomachs. I know that obesity is on the rise in RL, but this is going a bit too far...

Hi! Maybe you can answer a question for me? Sometimes there will be someone walking around in my town that is so terrible looking that I honestly stop the game and go to manage worlds to fix or delete them, but then I can't find them in the "other households" edit area. There are times that I don't care, but sometimes they are tooooo awful. Am I crazy? Or not looking in the right place? Shouldn't everybody be there? Actually, now that I think about it, sometimes they are actual NPCs, not just townies, and I can't find them there. I feel like I'm missing some vital piece of information, lol
    SqxdF0m.png

Gallery ID is ARIANNANEAL
  • SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,226 Member
    I am really enjoying the wider range of ethnic types appearing in the game since CL, but I too have found that the townie generation function doesn't always get things right. I have seen some really implausible combinations of name and ethnic appearance and yes, it does bother me.

Like some other players, I periodically go through all the NPC households in my game and edit them in CAS. I don't bother to use full edit mode, but I fix what I can to make the characters' appearance match their names (eg, change skin & hair color and features) and I change their clothes and body shape to something one would be more likely to find in RL. My game seems to have an inexplicable preference for certain clothing items (the maxi skirt is one of them) and these seem to show up all over the place, ad nauseam, regardless of suitability. Also, I have found lately that most of my townie women are impossibly fat, with enormous stomachs. I know that obesity is on the rise in RL, but this is going a bit too far...

Hi! Maybe you can answer a question for me? Sometimes there will be someone walking around in my town that is so terrible looking that I honestly stop the game and go to manage worlds to fix or delete them, but then I can't find them in the "other households" edit area. There are times that I don't care, but sometimes they are tooooo awful. Am I crazy? Or not looking in the right place? Shouldn't everybody be there? Actually, now that I think about it, sometimes they are actual NPCs, not just townies, and I can't find them there. I feel like I'm missing some vital piece of information, lol

If you're crazy, then so am I. I can think of at least two townies right off the top of my head whom I couldn't find in the households list. Ended up having one move in with my Sim so I could fix her outfit. Not only does the other one not show up, she's apparently an immortal. Has been the receptionist at the science lab for at least three generations.
    image.png
  • John65A9John65A9 Posts: 59 Member
    This I've noticed too. Ever since I got city living it seems over two thirds of my randomly generated townies either have a really Indian name or a really Japanese/Chinese name and not the easy to spell Lees' or Guptas' it will be something long and audacious like vinataaraman or mizuki saka-whatever! I live in Africa and I'd like more African names put in the code so it's something I relate to.
    SimTresa wrote: »
    If you're crazy, then so am I. I can think of at least two townies right off the top of my head whom I couldn't find in the households list. Ended up having one move in with my Sim so I could fix her outfit. Not only does the other one not show up, she's apparently an immortal. Has been the receptionist at the science lab for at least three generations.

LOL!! That's so funny! 3 generations?! And yes, I did the same thing once, put a townie into my family to fix her. But anyway, good, I'm glad I'm not crazy :)

SqxdF0m.png

I always have to edit my townies, and those moving into empty houses. not so much for names and looks. but their traits, most have the evil trait and even those with children have the hate children and none committal. So I change their traits and their clothes. But now I put those wardrobes in community lots so I can change their clothes at least.

Yes, I hate that too, so many of mine are Evil, Mean, or Hate children, even when they are parents!!
    But ... I have a question. What do you mean about putting the wardrobes in community lots? Do you mean a dresser or locker type thing like you click on in their house to change their clothes? I'm trying to figure out if you mean there's a way to change a townie's clothes without putting them into your family for a minute?
    SqxdF0m.png

• SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,226 Member

LOL!! That's so funny! 3 generations?! And yes, I did the same thing once, put a townie into my family to fix her. But anyway, good, I'm glad I'm not crazy :)

Yes. I don't think she has even aged. But it is funny. And it's going to be 4, since my current scientist's oldest child is a teen.
    image.png
  • FifinezFifinez Posts: 59 Member
    edited December 2018
    This is the reason why my sims don't even bother interacting with townies anymore.
    (Venkataramans, Venkataramans everywhere.)

Another thing about this that bugs me is that literally every. single. townie spawns with CL clothing and it's not pretty. About 90% of my females wear the SAME asian style t-shirt thing and the long skirt in the brightest possible colors. It's annoying and doesn't fit, and I feel like it's pointless to edit all of them when I know the game is going to spawn new ones anyway as soon as I continue. :lol:

I'm all for diverse sims, but these "diverse" sims are all the same and that's the OPPOSITE of diverse. :joy: It's getting hard to take these ethnic salads seriously when they are a little bit of everything. They look white or racially ambiguous, wear ethnic looking clothes with bright, clashing colors and all have unfitting names like Maki Tanaka or Fatima Al Kader. They just don't feel like real people. It's such a mess, really.
    But hey, at least the devs tried :lol:
    Post edited by Fifinez on
  • mysterionzmysterionz Posts: 3,608 Member
    Fifinez wrote: »
    This is the reason why my sims don't even bother interacting with townies anymore.
    (Venkataramans, Venkataramans everywhere.)

Another thing about this that bugs me is that literally every. single. townie spawns with CL clothing and it's not pretty. About 90% of my females wear the SAME asian style t-shirt thing and the long skirt in the brightest possible colors. It's annoying and doesn't fit, and I feel like it's pointless to edit all of them when I know the game is going to spawn new ones anyway as soon as I continue. :lol:

I'm all for diverse sims, but these "diverse" sims are all the same and that's the OPPOSITE of diverse. :joy: It's getting hard to take these ethnic salads seriously when they are a little bit of everything. They look white or racially ambiguous, wear ethnic looking clothes with bright, clashing colors and all have unfitting names like Maki Tanaka or Fatima Al Kader. They just don't feel like real people. It's such a mess, really.
    But hey, at least the devs tried :lol:

Sums up my point exactly. Sometimes I get non Indian or Japanese names. The only last name that wants that language was Foust which seems to be similar to the last name Faust.
    Oh hamburgers!
  • JadedJaneJadedJane Posts: 991 Member

At least I am not the only one who edits townies!!! Yay!!! I'm not alone!! I love to create absolute diversity with my characters. I download a lot of clothes, hair and shoes. I love to have the perfect outfit for my rebellious teens or hot snobby moms for example. I have a club called Hot snobby moms. I'm working on the leader of the snobby moms to be a trendsetter and have her groupies copy what she wears. And as soon as i get them to copy her look, i change it up again. Kinda like mean girls all grown up and still mean....
  • dfstonedfstone Posts: 215 Member
    My town is like little Mumbai or something. Every single random towny has a japanese or indian name and look. This same thing happened after City Living and then Pets came out and it got more diverse but after installing Get Famous its back to being a suburb of Tokyo.
  • FKM100FKM100 Posts: 886 Member
    edited November 2018

I gather that there are certain special NPCs who don't show up in household management - they are usually the ones who hold positions in the active careers that came with Get To Work (there's a name for them, but I forget what it is). I'm not really sure why they don't appear, but I think it is probably so that we cannot delete them (or alter their traits?). @rosemow explained this to me some time back - perhaps she can shed a bit more light on the issue. As far as I know, the only way to edit these sims is to have Testing Cheats enabled and then use the "edit in CAS" command, but I would be nervous of doing that, as for all I know it could mess up the sim permanently. If all you want to do is change their clothes and hair, though, you can do that with one of those walk-in-wardrobes that came with Get Together.

And yes, I too am finding that the townie problem has got even worse since Get Famous. At least 90% of my latest crop of townies are Asian or oriental and, like @Bubbz3388, more than half of the females are wearing that cropped halter top and long Asian skirt that came with CL. It's so annoying, especially when Get Famous has some really nice clothes that they could have worn instead. And the obesity has reached new heights - or should I say widths! Some of them are truly grotesque. Honestly, I've spent more time fixing townies than I have playing the game. It's got way beyond a joke now.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top