Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Loading times...

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    becomingjennbecomingjenn Posts: 3,942 Member
    wow, i have been looking at a possible ssd drive but that would cost a bomb for me, so im looking at possible 1 or 2, 125GB SSD, depending on how long im willing to wait. Thanks for link, i will check it out :)
    Same, i'm after something powerful that can handle hours of gaming, i usually try to do little upgrades by myself, but a computer is abit heavy to go lugging around, so now im after a laptop, one that i hope wont go up in smoke this time round XD
    I'v never really tried window mode, for me full screen mode has always worked best.

We got the SSD on sale. My husband put it in separately. Actually we scavenged it(the SSD) from my previous laptop and just put it in this one. Look around for sales, as they tend to be random, good ones can be found. SSD prices, at least in the US, have been falling dramatically.

As for windowed mode, I only use that when I save and open and close. (Pretty much you have to save in windowed mode in order to open in windowed mode. Even before this computer I found that it reduced the load times if I did it this way (and so I could surf too hehehe). Also when I quit the game I don't use the "save and quit", I do them in distinct steps. I save in windowed mode, then I quit. (In previous computers I had crashes in some of these steps and it seems to go smoother if you do each interaction separately).

Good luck
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    @casseyshazera I research parts for at least a week and then waiting on all of the parts to arrive takes about two weeks. I'm still new to building so it takes around 2-3 hours to put it together.

If you're looking to get a SSD, wait for them to go on sale. Example: Black Friday I grabbed a Samsung 850 EVO 250GB for $75 and it's normally priced at $150. Right now it's on sale for $84 on Amazon. Not sure where you are located but I know at least in the US, sales do happen often.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    I think id end up keeping the ssd drive especially for my games, i'm pretty happy with the loading up times my computer has now, never mind a new laptop. That is pretty awesome, even my brand new game takes 5 mins to save. I wont be getting a ssd for this computer, but will hopefully have one already installed on my hopefully very near future laptop, which i will be getting at some point. Thanks for that, i was a little hazy on how it worked, but i think i get it now. :)

My laptop has 2 hard drives. 280 gb SSD and then a second HDD. If you go for a laptop try to go for one with two hard drives and make sure the SSD is larger than 128 gb or you won't be able to game on it and the SSD will get used up quickly. I only use the SSD for windows and the sims 3 and I don't have a lot of cc. If you use a lot of CC get 500 gb SSD. If you are not a cc hoarder than you will be fine with 250 gb SSD
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I'm on a three year old HP laptop with 1gb dedicated graphics card using Windows 7.I've got the entire collection installed and run with tons of CC and so many Mods that I only know about having 95+ NRaas Mod files and well over 100 other Mods to fix other issues.I use AVG PCTuneUp to turn things off and switch modes for gaming or general use.I'm in economy mode though I'll switct to turbo for games.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    casseyshazeracasseyshazera Posts: 89 Member
    > @igazor said:
    > The Mac hardware is fine, actually superior to many other choices (from four years ago) and this is an iMac desktop, not one of the new MacBook Pro laptops with difficult to get recognized integrated graphics. When running Bootcamp, I am actually playing TS3 for Windows same as anyone else who has Win 7, not TS3 for Mac which is a different beast and never would have held this monster of a game together as long as I've been playing it.

Really?, ah sorry i was thinking of the mac laptops, i have no experience with the desktop versions. I have most of the nraas mods, but still cant stick to a game unfortunately because of lag, which is why i made this topic really, so i know exactly what specs to go for. over 2GB? woah, i usually do a clean everytime before i start the game up. I have just uninstalled the pets expansion for faster gaming which has worked, and just lost all my saves, plus a few families in the sims bin..... great!. How exactly does the traveller work?, that is one of the nraas mods i have never used.

> @becomingjenn said:
    > As for windowed mode, I only use that when I save and open and close. (Pretty much you have to save in windowed mode in order to open in windowed mode. Even before this computer I found that it reduced the load times if I did it this way (and so I could surf too hehehe). Also when I quit the game I don't use the "save and quit", I do them in distinct steps. I save in windowed mode, then I quit. (In previous computers I had crashes in some of these steps and it seems to go smoother if you do each interaction separately).

I know, when i first started looking at the ssd's i would of been paying something like an extra £100 for a small one, but now i can get twice that storage, maybe even a little more for the same price, which is great for me.
    That is actually pretty genius!, the shut down time is an easy 1 min, but loading is terrible. i will give it a shot and see how it goes, would sure help with the boredom if i could surf the web whilst it loads. Same, i learnt the hard way not to save and quit. I will definitely try the windowed mode for start up, thanks for the suggestion :)

> @Simasaurus09 said:
    > I research parts for at least a week and then waiting on all of the parts to arrive takes about two weeks. I'm still new to building so it takes around 2-3 hours to put it together.

Thats pretty great, i have always wanted to try and improve my own computer, or even build a new especially for gaming, but thats a few years away yet as right now im saving for getting a gaming laptop. Unfortunately for me im going to be missing the sales, i don't think i will be getting a ssd for this computer, and just get one already installed with the my laptop, xotic pc does some great deals on laptops. i'm from wales but live in france, which is why i'v been looking at getting a laptop from the u.s, the uk charge way too much for them.

> @phoebebebe13 said:
    > My laptop has 2 hard drives. 280 gb SSD and then a second HDD. If you go for a laptop try to go for one with two hard drives and make sure the SSD is larger than 128 gb or you won't be able to game on it and the SSD will get used up quickly. I only use the SSD for windows and the sims 3 and I don't have a lot of cc. If you use a lot of CC get 500 gb SSD. If you are not a cc hoarder than you will be fine with 250 gb SSD

Thanks great tip, i will be having all the expansions, alot of store content, and a few stuff packs seems my future laptop will be able to handle it. I hate cc, except for make up and hair styles, slows my game down too much, and most of it makes my sims look too much like barbie dolls lol. I have seen laptops advertised with a HDD and 2 SSDs?. both of which have 128GB on them. There is a option for more space which i will try and get if i want my sims 3 stored on there.

> @TadOlson said:
    > I'm on a three year old HP laptop with 1gb dedicated graphics card using Windows 7.I've got the entire collection installed and run with tons of CC and so many Mods that I only know about having 95+ NRaas Mod files and well over 100 other Mods to fix other issues.I use AVG PCTuneUp to turn things off and switch modes for gaming or general use.I'm in economy mode though I'll switct to turbo for games.

I'v never thought of changing the style of power i use on my graphics card for gaming, i will give it a try when i start up my computer, though i have seen it advertised on the laptop i want, with 3 different styles. Thanks for that tip. Thats pretty great having a laptop for that long, my last laptop went up in smoke after a years worth of gaming (it actually went up in smoke twice, after the 2nd time i refused to get it fixed), and back then that was coming to the end of the sims 2!. Not long after the sims 3 was released i got this computer, which was great at the time.
    Aka..... Flaming Husky
    Sims Kennel Club - Delta Aquilae Siberian Huskies

Games Played :
    Sims 1/2/3/4/Castaway,
    AC 2, Dirt, SOD, Star Wars .... May The Force Be With You :)
  • Options
    I dont know what your spending on your laptop. The Asus ROG has laptops with 250 and 500 gb ssd. Te GTX 970m comes with the 250 gb and the 980m comes wit 500 gb. You can also do a custom laptop at cyberpower if in the USA, Canada or UK and add 2 hard drives with the amount of hard drives you want
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Really?, ah sorry i was thinking of the mac laptops, i have no experience with the desktop versions. I have most of the nraas mods, but still cant stick to a game unfortunately because of lag, which is why i made this topic really, so i know exactly what specs to go for. over 2GB? woah, i usually do a clean everytime before i start the game up. I have just uninstalled the pets expansion for faster gaming which has worked, and just lost all my saves, plus a few families in the sims bin..... great!. How exactly does the traveller work?, that is one of the nraas mods i have never used.
    Excuse me, my saves are perfectly clean. Well, clean enough. How dare you. :p

It's the individual world's nhd file sizes that count as you can only play one world actively at any given moment and that's the one that gets loaded into RAM -- and discharged from RAM when traveling to a different world. The currently in play but inactive worlds and the TravelDB.package file just come along for the ride in case they need to be queried for information. I usually don't bother with a Save Clean until one of those worlds by itself ends up over 500 MB or so, others take action sooner than that.

In addition to smoothing out travel transitions generally and preventing errors upon arrival, Traveler allows you to travel on a vacation to any world you have installed. So Lucky Palms, Sunlit Tides, Hidden Springs, etc. could be great places to stay for a while instead of the more usual choices. It also allows you to move sims to these other worlds permanently and keep all of their relationships and history with those left behind. Both worlds are playable within the same game save, just one at a time, and you can travel on vacation and move sims back and forth between them. If all of my sims in that ongoing game had to live in the same world, the entire town would be too closely related to each other by now.
    http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Traveler+FAQ
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    > @phoebebebe13 said:
    > I dont know what your spending on your laptop. The Asus ROG has laptops with 250 and 500 gb ssd. Te GTX 970m comes with the 250 gb and the 980m comes wit 500 gb. You can also do a custom laptop at cyberpower if in the USA, Canada or UK and add 2 hard drives with the amount of hard drives you want

I'v been looking for a laptop around a max of $1200-1300. I was looking at the asus rog a while ago, and quite a few people had problems with them. Forgot what the problem was, but the msi doesnt seem to have much compared, plus multi-color blacklit keyboard :smiley: . I havent looked at cyberpower, only xotic pc, because they customize/upgrade the msi apache which is what im looking at.

> @igazor said:
    > Excuse me, my saves are perfectly clean. Well, clean enough. How dare you. :p
    > In addition to smoothing out travel transitions generally and preventing errors upon arrival, Traveler allows you to travel on a vacation to any world you have installed. So Lucky Palms, Sunlit Tides, Hidden Springs, etc. could be great places to stay for a while instead of the more usual choices. It also allows you to move sims to these other worlds permanently and keep all of their relationships and history with those left behind. Both worlds are playable within the same game save, just one at a time, and you can travel on vacation and move sims back and forth between them. If all of my sims in that ongoing game had to live in the same world, the entire town would be too closely related to each other by now.

Apologies, I am sure your saves are perfectly clean XD
    Ahhh right i got you, sounds handy if you got the space for it.
    Oo, now i like the sound of that, always wanted my Sunset Valley sim to go vacay at Isla Paradiso. Ah right, so you dont loose any of the relationships and family ties then?. That is true, never played a game long enough (thanks to lag) to get that far.
    Thanks for the info, will definitely get that mod when my computering gets upgraded :)
    Aka..... Flaming Husky

Games Played :
    Sims 1/2/3/4/Castaway,
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    here is cyberpower custom with 2 hard drives one being 250 gb SSD . This is no tax outside CA http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1HKDPC

BTW I have a ROG and its fine but I have a higher end model and an older one with a 700 series card. Also have 2 cyberpower custom desktops
  • Options
    > @phoebebebe13 said:
    > here is cyberpower custom with 2 hard drives one being 250 gb SSD . This is no tax outside CA
    >
    > BTW I have a ROG and its fine but I have a higher end model and an older one with a 700 series card. Also have 2 cyberpower custom desktops

Thanks for the link,
    Thats actually a pretty decent laptop, though i'd have to upgrade the ram. You have made my life difficult... the fangbook or msi XD
    2? woah. Lucky you, the only other computer we have here may aswell be from the 1990s, it takes half hour to load up, another 10 for the internet XD
    Thanks again for the link :)
    Aka..... Flaming Husky

Games Played :
    Sims 1/2/3/4/Castaway,
  • Options
    > @phoebebebe13 said:
    > here is cyberpower custom with 2 hard drives one being 250 gb SSD . This is no tax outside CA
    >
    > BTW I have a ROG and its fine but I have a higher end model and an older one with a 700 series card. Also have 2 cyberpower custom desktops

Thanks for the link,
    Thats actually a pretty decent laptop, though i'd have to upgrade the ram. You have made my life difficult... the fangbook or msi XD
    2? woah. Lucky you, the only other computer we have here may aswell be from the 1990s, it takes half hour to load up, another 10 for the internet XD
    Thanks again for the link :)

One desktop is my sons and one is mine but both custom Cyberpower desktops. There are others in here who also have cyberpower custom. MSI custom laptop or cyberpower custom laptop would be fine. See which one is offering you more hardware at a lesser price
  • Options
    SummerskydreamerSummerskydreamer Posts: 1,681 Member
    I have a AspireIX axc-603G-uw 13 is it 13 orI3 desk top my games run fairly well with medium to high setting and my load time from the very start to loading the games takes around 14 minutes. I know there are some players out there that say i can not run my game but playing my game on this desktop i have for more than four hours or more is pretty good. I have not been on much since Christmas time and of course it has been raining and storming here in Mo but that is ok. I will be on my games today if the rain letts me it has been raining every since the day after Christmas.I hope every one had a great Merry Christmas.
  • Options
    Kimbelle10Kimbelle10 Posts: 77 Member
    My old laptop did not take a long time to load or save...Probably 2-3 to load everything and about a minute or 2 (most 3) to save stuff.

And I had 5 expansions, 2 of them considered 'heavy' on an old-🐸🐸🐸🐸 laptop (32-bit). I think it was also b/c I didn't have too many CC but when i started adding that and mods the load times were a bit longer at most 3 -4 minutes tops.

All this over 20 minute stuff is really odd to me to read about, I'd hate to even consider playing if I had to wait that long.
  • Options
    Sorry for the late reply, been bit busy.

> @phoebebebe13 said:
    > One desktop is my sons and one is mine but both custom Cyberpower desktops. There are others in here who also have cyberpower custom. MSI custom laptop or cyberpower custom laptop would be fine. See which one is offering you more hardware at a lesser price

Thats pretty awesome. Thanks anyway, will compare both and see which is best for me at the time. :)

> @Summerskydreamer said:
    > I have a AspireIX axc-603G-uw 13 is it 13 orI3 desk top my games run fairly well with medium to high setting and my load time from the very start to loading the games takes around 14 minutes. I know there are some players out there that say i can not run my game but playing my game on this desktop i have for more than four hours or more is pretty good. I have not been on much since Christmas time and of course it has been raining and storming here in Mo but that is ok. I will be on my games today if the rain letts me it has been raining every since the day after Christmas.I hope every one had a great Merry Christmas.

Thats not far from mine. iv done a big cleanup on my computer even uninstalling pets and it seems to run much quicker, but not fast enough, takes over half hour to change outfits and appearance when a teen sim ages up, need something a little more faster so im not spending a whole day changing outfits for my sims. Same here, though i have gotten stuck into the castaway stories since Christmas. Hope you also had a great Christmas :)

> @Kimbelle10 said:
    > My old laptop did not take a long time to load or save...Probably 2-3 to load everything and about a minute or 2 (most 3) to save stuff.
    > And I had 5 expansions, 2 of them considered 'heavy' on an old-🐸🐸🐸🐸 laptop (32-bit). I think it was also b/c I didn't have too many CC but when i started adding that and mods the load times were a bit longer at most 3 -4 minutes tops.
    > All this over 20 minute stuff is really odd to me to read about, I'd hate to even consider playing if I had to wait that long.

Wow thats pretty great loading, even for a old laptop. Yeh cc does add alot onto the loading, i only ever play with a few hairstyles, and a few nraas mods, apart from that its a little store content and expansions. One expansion i really do miss is island paradise but cant run it. It really is painful waiting for the loading time, and even waiting for lots to load up.
    Aka..... Flaming Husky

Games Played :
    Sims 1/2/3/4/Castaway,
  • Options
    JemkatkJemkatk Posts: 199 Member
    edited November 2018
    My main loading of the game take 1-2 minutes tops, saving takes 30 seconds...BUT I have a laptop that my son custom built to handle strictly gaming.

Same here.. I've got an Asus Rog.. i7, Nvidia 960m 4gb video card, 16gb of ram and 1tb HD.
    I have about 7gb of CC, but only use CC for the Sims in no more than 3 families per world.. Otherwise the save file will bloat.

I have pretty much all the nraas mods, though I try to keep SP to a minimum because it does cause bigger save files.

It takes around 4-6 min to load and 15-30 seconds to save. Traveling or going to Uni takes about 3 minutes.
    I have store mode turned off, memories are turned off and hail is turned off.
    I have all SP's and EP's.