Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Removing IP Lag

Comments

• cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    Someone asked about how to delete the ports in another thread, so here's what I did:

If there is a houseboat attached, you delete that first in edit town mode.
    Once deletes the boat. Twice deletes the boat platform and the lot attached to the port.

I just went in and... the easiest way
    testingcheatsenabled true
    enablelotlocking true
    click on port in edit town mode
    click on lock to unlock port
    change from community lot to residential
    return to edit town
    bulldoze/delete lot
    (I left behind an empty residential lot. This should keep sims from going there.)
    enablelotlocking false
    testingcheatsenabled false
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,121 Member
    @ciane Thank you thank you BUNCHES for providing your fixed IP save for the rest of us to have in our games. :star:

I tried fixing IP up on my own (followed all the tips out there) and the world was still quite laggy that I found no joy in playing it. :(

I added your fixed save in and replaced some of the townies with my made over versions of them (via Evict in Edit Town, added my made overs in, then deleted the old family from the clipboard). Will that cause lag replacing the "coded in the game" families like that?

Because I played for a while in Live mode and there was still a bit of lag... I do use NRaas Mods and added your fixed save in that didn't require all the EPs and store content.
    So now I'm wondering what's up? :pensive:
    Could it be my 10 year old computer trying to still run the game? Could it be all the taxi boats because I swear those have routing issues and there's no way to get rid of them. :confounded:
    Or could it be that I switched out the families?
    Will IP always have SOME lag no matter what you do!? :weary: I just don't know...

Please help? :heart:
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
    You should NOT delete the families from the clipboard. NRaas has a much safer way to remove them if you really feel you need to. I find that just not playing them after moving them off houseboats is usually enough. However, the pregnant sims can cause problems as they try to change into work clothes while pregnant. So, you could use Master Controller to fire them from their jobs.

The problem with deleting the coded-in families is that the game with try to spawn some actions with them. So, like a sim who can't route somewhere, the game exhausts a lot effort and is always pulling more RAM to do something with the missing sim(s).

If you have the latest NRaas mods, then that's as good as it gets for taxi boats. However, you could give every family their own car(s) and boat(s) to help out will the auto spawning vehicles.

There will always be hiccups and some lag as so many sims are trying to do different things at the same time. Eventually, some of the sims will migrate and you'll have fewer sims pulling at your RAM.

You can periodically reset the whole town. Some people like to do that every week during the late night when fewer sims would be out and about doing things.

Also, I play with the seasonal elements turned off, so I don't get snow lag. I just turn on the snow for snowflake day. That way my sims can enjoy playing the snow one day, but I don't have the overwhelming amount of snow always falling.

I also turn off all the animal and occult options. I can still play with any that are already around or that I add, but I won't have NPCs doing a lot of magic or horses spawning where they can't maneuver.

Check any fenced-in areas and see if they might have sims and animals spawning where they can't get out. Some spots aren't problem areas all the time, but can be. If you ever sent your sims to work at the science building in Sunset Valley, you might have been surprised that they missing work. Zooming in their shows they disembarked into the bushes out front and got stuck there. It happens for field trips there too. So, I delete the bushes there and have no more problems there.

It could be I missed a spot that becomes a problem later, particularly for the large family with the toddler in a small house where the mom is pregnant. Who knows where another a baby might spawn?!

So, after Overwatch runs the first time and cleans up everything, you might still need to fix things now and then.

Also, just a possibility, but maybe the sims you added in have high poly hair that take a lot of time to render. A lot of high poly hairs together in one spot could also cause lag. I try to only play up to three sims with hair that has a high poly count or large file size (4MB or more).

• emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,121 Member
    Thank you @ciane . <3

Good points and information! I didn't think about the high poly count hair causing problems... :confused:

I saved your Fixed Save to a backup folder so maybe what I'll do it start that whole new save again, and instead of replacing the families with my other ones, I'll just make them over again (with your cautions ;) ).

Besides, making over is fun, even if I have to do it again. :blush:
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
  • UhtredUhtred Posts: 25 Member
    @ciane

So I did this - "Make a new folder in your Sims 3 Saves folder called IPonlyRdy.sims3 and copy these four files into it: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/hh78ai99s6a1y/IPonlyRdy&quot;

After doing this, I entered the game and there was no lag, but whenever I tried to save I got Error 16. So I quit and noticed that TravelDB.package had moved into the CurrentGame.sims3 folder. I figured that I had accidentally put it there, so I removed it and tried again, being extra careful this time that the files go in the right place. When I loaded up the game, the same thing happened. And when I quit, TravelDB.package had moved into the CurrentGames.sims3 folder again, and this time I'm 100% certain I didn't put it there by accident. It seems it is moving there by itself.
    @Uhtred - Try deleting that travelDB file and see if that works. You shouldn't need the travelDB file. Only the nhd file is important. You can open IP normally in your game and save immediately. Then copy in that nhd file to overwrite the other that was created. Then save as your new template.

This save was created on an older version of the game; so maybe if you have the latest game update, it somehow changes the way that worked before.

Please let me know if deleting the travelDB file works or if saving a fresh game in IP and replacing the new .nhd file with mine will work.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited February 2019
    @Uhtred @ciane This isn't really an issue, though. If there is meant to be a TravelDB file at all, then it's supposed to get copied to the current game folder when a saved game is launched and coped back again when a game is saved or saved as. It's never loaded into RAM like the nhd files are, but is used by the game as a reference. This is where, among other things, data on foreign world sims is kept and the Generations Scrapbook memories and other types of photos are stored. It shouldn't really matter in the beginning of a new game if the one being used is ciane's or not.

Error 16 usually means there is a corrupt file in the saved game (a bad download in this case, perhaps) or the player's hard drive is too full to function properly.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    Thanks @igazor. I should of thought of redownloading for possible corruption!
    But I've tried downloading it three times now, and the issue happened every time. Which means I've redownloaded it twice, and neither time worked. I downloaded it for the third time just now, and this time I tried doing "save as". When I did that, Error 16 didn't happen, but when I did the normal save afterwards Error 16 happened. And it created a duplicate folder with the .bad extension like it did with the previous 2 downloads. Also, if TravelDB includes data on foreign sims I would want to have that.
  • MmdrgntobldrgnMmdrgntobldrgn Posts: 6,680 Member
    Uhtred wrote: »
    But I've tried downloading it three times now, and the issue happened every time. Which means I've redownloaded it twice, and neither time worked. I downloaded it for the third time just now, and this time I tried doing "save as". When I did that, Error 16 didn't happen, but when I did the normal save afterwards Error 16 happened. And it created a duplicate folder with the .bad extension like it did with the previous 2 downloads. Also, if TravelDB includes data on foreign sims I would want to have that.

For what it's worth, using "save as" with a number just after the save name instead of using "save" reduces, if not almost completely eliminates the odds of error 16.

In ultra basic terms ( @igazor can correct or explain better than me) when you "save" the pc and game mechanics are trying to overwrite the first file; when you "save as" the pc and game mechanics ignore the original file and create a brand new save with the games data.

Personally, I stopped using save a long time ago and only use save as. I usually keep the 3 most recent 'saves' and delete the older ones. This in combination with save cleaner has helped keep corruption down in the game and save files. B)
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Exploring life through imagination & satire since 1969.
    Save Game Often
    repair & clear caches Often
    S3 Studio
    S3 blog Story, lists of empty lots by world
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
    @Uhtred - Just as @Mmdrgntobldrgn does, I too only use "save as" to keep the game as fresh as possible. I base saves on the day time hack. So a game in IP on Sunday at 8am would be IPSu8. Then, at the end of my play, I delete all but the last two saves (ensuring that I have backup that was working well). So, if "save as" is working, and "save" isn't; just keep doing "save as" and hopefully, it'll play well for you that way.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited February 2019
    Another potential source of save errors, whether using Save or Save As although I cannot say if Error 16 is among them, would be saved game names that are too long or have spaces or unusual characters in the save name. But if the existing save folder no matter what it's named is locking up and thus triggering the error, then by all means try a Save As with a new name.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    @ciane The problem with using "Save As" instead of "Save" for the Isla Paradiso game is, when I did that, one of the folders it created was one with a .bad extension, which suggests that save game is also corrupted somehow, and if that's the case I feel it would be risky to be using a potentially corrupted save game.

@igazor In all 3 downloads, the first folder was named IPonlyRdy.sims3. In the 3rd download, when I tested out "Save As", the split-off game was called Isla Paradiso.sims3.

I will test out adding a number, though I don't understand how that would fix an error. Also @Mmdrgntobldrgn gave me an idea; I have yet to install SaveCleaner, do you think that may help?
    I have another question for you, @Uhtred. Rename your old sims 3 folder. Launch a new game in Sunset Valley or one of the other EP worlds. Use save as create a new save game. This game will have no store content or cc in it, and is what we call vanilla folder. Now place the IPonlyRdy.sims3 folder in your saves folder which will only have your newly created save in it. See if it reacts differently without any other stuff in it.
  • amandajoy27amandajoy27 Posts: 167 Member
    edited August 2019
    ciane wrote: »
    Updated Update:
    Make a new folder in your Sims 3 Saves folder called IPonlyRdy.sims3 and copy these four files into it: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/hh78ai99s6a1y/IPonlyRdy
    So i only need those 4 files or can i just download the Isia Paradiso one?
    8yz411.jpg

Add me on Origin ID: Amanda3024
    @amandajoy27 -
    I'm actually not sure how important the other files are, but they aren't large in size. You could see if it would work with just the main file.
  • amandajoy27amandajoy27 Posts: 167 Member
    Thanks!! @ciane
    8yz411.jpg

Add me on Origin ID: Amanda3024
  • katelynnk005katelynnk005 Posts: 2 New Member
    i'm sorry for being late, i was having trouble with island paradise and someone told me to download your fixed one so i did, i played some and was editing hobart, then i tried to save it and got an error 16, which is kind of annoying but it's whatever, so i quit and went back on sims, and now your world isnt showing. i have island paradise installed still, but it's saying that i dont have the world for it, but i do. when i click new game it shows isla paradiso, i dont know what happened.
  • katelynnk005katelynnk005 Posts: 2 New Member
    oh no, im sorry. i realize someone already said this, i didnt see it up until now, i apologize.
    So, hopefully you have solved your error 16 problem. And, you've found that you still have the original save. Now, fingers crossed that you can edit and then save that file so you can enjoy playing in IP. I absolutely love that world!!! But, the first time the NRaas Overwatch mod runs at 3 a.m., it'll still find lots of things to fix. After that first day, everything should play well for you. Good luck!
  • tatatattatttttatatatattattttta Posts: 5 New Member
    Hey! It's been a while since someone posted here but I came across this thread and now I have some questions.
    First of all, thank you very much for your enormous work! Your tips and instructions have been incredibly helpful.
    Secondly, is it possible that you reupload the documents with the essential moments or something like that (two 4shared links in the first message). It would've been very helpful!
    Thirdly, i didn't quite get it about moving the Dregg household.
    > @ScottDemon said:
    > I'd save them for last play them and move them that way save and exit the game reload and go back to Edit Town and use the Switch Active Households option.
    > That's the only safe way I know of moving playable ghosts.
    How exactly should I do it to avoid any errors? Should I move them using the in-game "Move" action via a phone or a computer and then switch households in the Edit Town? Or what?
    Fourthly, I am quite confused about some lots replacements that you've provided here. Some of them have two copies: one in your Mediafire folder from the first message and the other one - in your Exchange profile. E.g. there are two Ichtaca residences, one named 'Los Castillo de Ichtaca' and the other is 'El Castillo de Ichtaca'. Which versions of your lots shall we use? Their differences are not always clear from reading the descriptions.
    Lastly, may I translate this tread (by compiling all the useful information in some sort of a handy guide) to Russian and post it on one of the Russian Sims forums? I will surely give you credit and leave all necessary links and references to this tread/your profile/etc. It will literally save lives of lots of our Sims players!
    Thank you very much once again!
  • tatatattatttttatatatattattttta Posts: 5 New Member
    Sorry, I don't quite understand the way this forum system works, so I can't find where to edit my previous post or how to quote properly without that ">" thingy. I just wanted to add that I'm also confused about this:
    You wrote this (about moving sims from houseboats to land) in your first message: "Romantic (Rubisel Ichtaca) (whom I move to Modern Marvel after I relevel that lot) - FantaSea (Port Primavera) Keep FantaSea and make it NVA (no visitors allowed)." But the Romantic household consists of Akoni Kahale who lives in the Sea Spirit houseboat. And Rubisel Ichtaca is in The Prince household and lives in Fantasea houseboat. So what exactly shall we do with these two sims? :D
  • ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    @tatatattattttta I just wanted to say hi and welcome to the English forum! You can't quote posts or edit your posts until you become a full member here, which happens after a certain number of posts and likes here. Hopefully Ciane will be here soon to answer your questions. And please say hello to the Sims 3 players on the Russian forum from all of us here!!
    @tatatattattttta - I am sorry I didn't respond sooner. I had to find my files and upload to Sim File Share for you.
    I uploaded just the .nhd files rather than the save folder with the .nhd file in it. This means that simmers must first load IP and save it (without playing) and then quit the game. Copy my .nhd (neighborhood) file OVER writing the old .nhd file in the non-played IP game.

IPonlyrdy (stands for Island Paradise EP only - ready to play) - http://www.simfileshare.net/download/1806882/

IPallrdy (Island Paradise with other EP,SP, and store stuff included - ready to play) - http://www.simfileshare.net/download/1806914/

You do have my blessing to create a Russian-friendly thread.

I'll try to answer other questions in a few minutes.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top