Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The New Tutorial

kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
in the spirit of trying absolutely everything in the patch, i've gone ahead and started a new game with the new tutorial with voiceovers. said voiceovers seem to be nicely done so far (i'm only beginning as i start this post) but some may go a bit fast for newer players, the intro hits on creating name, editing sim and clothing almost in the same breath, then instantly tells the player to select an aspiration. it does stop after this, though, allowing you to go and play around with things

as for the aspirations themselves, there are only four in the tutorial and each one pre-selects traits. they all also have the same bonus trait, career-minded

athletes are active, outgoing, and self-assured (this is actually a good time to say this is one of my least favorite types of sim, ones that have multiple emotional traits at once. might be more realistic in some cases, but also ultra frustrating with their mood changes)
35b86e7500be10509930e39d3097f53e.png

chefs are foodies, gluttons and snobs (happy to see a 'negative' trait... or two, as many seem to consider snob negative as well, though it's not at all... show up in these. though, i seem to recall foodie and glutton not being able to be selected at the same time before)
a1098e52e5ccf180692d759dcb9ace8b.png

painters are creative art-loving slobs (again, i'm happy to see a 'negative' trait here. and the trio really work nicely together for a specific type of painter)
1feb896712b976beca84cbaa5a22ad86.png

last up, trend-setters are clumsy, cheerful and perfectionists (once again, a 'negative' and my all-time favorite chosen this time. though it's actually less of a negative trait than most others that are considered such)
5bc20fe2e9cd190e9d8f93d770033d76.png

(i went ahead and picked 'trend-setter' and used the pre-made styled looks to create her outfits just to jump in quickly. still might upload the sim just to be silly. we'll see)

Starting in the World

once you select all that and hit play, you're thrown into a house built on the typically empty 30x20 in willow creek's starter neighborhood. it's actually a pretty decent little place: living room, two bedrooms, kitchen, study (computer, weightlifting bench, easel, stereo to cover a lot of basics), and bathroom. i was more happy than expected to see the caribbean update's wall-hanging in the living room
47a71e748e315879c79dd5200637595d.jpg

interestingly, you also get a roommate! an unplayable one! (we can hope this carries over into having this in the actual game at some point. i know a ton of simmers have asked for this)
f37bd96c6ebfd3c2c9d86d6dc99d9b53.jpg

as expected, most every action is disabled at first, likely showing up once you're taught about skills. and there are plenty of skill-specific items spread throughout the place
6eb7477535681cabe634bccbc616be58.png

but took a quick peek at the initial options for the aspiration to prove that the other sim outside is indeed your roommate:
56cd8b62f65b11659f3c3c0ed6a0d45b.png

...well, the next step of the tutorial brings that up, too:
f7562d0cd5d0ac58c596951af3813531.jpg

when you do talk to her, she's added to the household, but still listed as unplayable:
ad11299dcd77401425f996a0ea3bccf4.png

your roomate, who likely has an ok cooking skill (i couldn't use my show sim info mod to check) cooks an initial meal for you, likely to avoid a fire killing your first sim...

just a random screenshot of the explanation of social interactions
1d18770b9e41ec41f5bc9ec681b01092.png

...i actually broke the tutorial here because i had my sim 'get to know' before the blurb telling me to do so... so... that was fun. also found out that sims created for the tutorial don't apparently get saved to your library automatically. so double fun

...so, at least it's quick to get back to that part

inventory tutorial includes prepping for gardening as well as skills (the book is a charisma book) and collections:
e128b79cb8c1d0f465f6962ac881fce6.png

tier 2 of the tutorial aspiration:
7f0af51f0dab6d336008cd4b2bd6ed50.png

i also kind of broke the tutorial again by having my sim drink some coffee alex (the roommate) made. she woke up in the middle of the night because of bladder needs, but the blankets stayed in sleep mode, even after the tutorial kicked in again:
89a52468e457e5d8d1fbe46d892dc8ee.png

and then, sadly, as soon as you send your sim to work, alex becomes playable

tier 3 of the tutorial aspiration:
9388913557d8eec1ef9d3bb5e74d72e6.png
(rather annoyingly for me, i unlocked it by using the trendsetter's 'discuss outfits' career option to both finish the daily task and complete 'socialize with alex' for the previous tier. so have to wait one more day to do that)

and tier four of the tutorial aspiration, as well as a blurb of the unique trait for completing it:
74a565033c7cbf2d8778c6da91f8148c.png

at this point, after learning a skill for the profession, only the relationship panel is still locked by the tutorial (well, clubs and retail are too, but that's to be expected. as are the phone and calendar. and build/buy)
bce7b0cd7e33bdb8b3f07fc94a63ed30.png

(and i'm pretty sure i broke the tutorial yet again here, by having completed aspiration tier 3 before this popped up, since i'm not allowed to do three of the things tier 4 wants me to... travel to a community lot and taking a vacation day both require the phone, which is locked. go fishing is also locked on fishing signs. and yes, i know you can travel by zooming out all the way, but that's locked currently too)

...or it seems i 'broke' it by getting promoted too early. next step is apparently supposed to trigger after the first promotion, unlocks the phone, at last. travel options are unlocked by taking the vacation day for the aspiration (interestingly, when this happens, alex is marked unplayable again). and the center park is the only option to visit, alas. though it does show you all the fishing locations, so you're supposed to complete the aspiration while here.

you get a retraiting potion for completing either the aspiration or the tutorial, too. which is nice if you don't like the initial three traits your sim is given

and, a final shot of the reward trait when the aspiration is completed:
457b200db149642831287cd05e2d0ebc.png

Comments

• Sketch793Sketch793 Posts: 1,218 Member
    kalaksed wrote: »
    ...or it seems i 'broke' it by getting promoted too early. next step is apparently supposed to trigger after the first promotion, unlocks the phone, at last. travel options are unlocked by taking the vacation day for the aspiration (interestingly, when this happens, alex is marked unplayable again). and the center park is the only option to visit, alas. though it does show you all the fishing locations, so you're supposed to complete the aspiration while here

Since you "broke" the tutorial by getting promoted too early, how did you "unbreak" it in order to finish the tutorial?

• kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    edited November 2018
    was actually just coming to talk about that, @Sketch793 . i used the cheat to complete the starter aspiration when it was on its final step, which did help parts of the tutorial continue but was unable to fully finish it (you apparently need to complete the aspiration on your home lot after visiting the park)

i wound up replaying through it, this time not doing a thing until the tutorial told me to and had these few additions:

when it fully ends properly, you get this screen:
    6b98a80604728bccf51360c2d31cdaaf.png

followed by:
    a43abc62d3ed721cdd574239127eec38.png

alex moves out at the end of the tutorial, it says she's going on to help other new players out

edit: as expected, all three of those final options are different versions of 'tutorial's over, have fun!'
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    Oh sweet thanks ! I was curious about it but not enough to reactivate the tutorial.
    Why is that house so cute this is false advertising for other Maxis giant empty houses.
    I will probably cheat add that new trait to some of my sims (LeGardePourpre already posted it in Hidden Traits).

The best part is there is a working roommate system in the game, really hopeful we will see it in regular gameplay soon !
  • Sketch793Sketch793 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Thanks for the info. This will be a great help for people who are curious about the new tutorial but don't want to take the time to play it all the way through. For myself, I've been getting a bit frustrated by reaching that final step of the aspiration with the phone, travel, and fishing still "disabled by the tutorial", but I'll give it another try to see if I can get past that by not doing too much, too soon.
  • kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    edited November 2018
    hang in there and the phone should hopefully unlock with the next promotion

also, here's a picture of all the new traits that came with the patch (thanks to legardepourpre, as hapyopi mentioned above). it includes all three of the first time user traits at the bottom (starting the tutorial, finishing the aspiration, and the one for alex, the roommate)
    90623f716eb409dc4fd0015f06bcb962.png

i also want to point out that while playing through (and breaking...) the tutorial, i've found several townies that were created with the tutorial aspiration picked (they were all painters for some reason, though there are four options for it). i'm hoping that those will also show up in non-tutorial games, but we'll see. i already uploaded one to the gallery (a hidden alien with the tutorial painter aspiration)
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Trying it just to see what it's like. Tutorial steps locked on 1st day, even though sim has gone to work three times due to the 'make coffee' being undoable thanks to the coffee maker being disabled by the tutorial. Sim has gotten promotion, so it may be broken now. Overall impression is that while it's nice in its own way, it is far inferior to the TS2 one. That walked you through the various options and panels one right after another, got you involved. This one, once the first few things are done, turns the 'game' into a movie you are stuck watching. Alex has yet to become playable. Overall, I'd say it fails in its mission of showing new players how to do the game.

Any ideas on how to kick it in the posterior so can get on with it?
  • cheifeagleeyecheifeagleeye Posts: 542 Member
    roommate does not show up restarted new game twice
  • BlackjackWidowBlackjackWidow Posts: 23 Member
    > @Oldeseadogge said:
    > Trying it just to see what it's like. Tutorial steps locked on 1st day, even though sim has gone to work three times due to the 'make coffee' being undoable thanks to the coffee maker being disabled by the tutorial. Sim has gotten promotion, so it may be broken now. Overall impression is that while it's nice in its own way, it is far inferior to the TS2 one. That walked you through the various options and panels one right after another, got you involved. This one, once the first few things are done, turns the 'game' into a movie you are stuck watching. Alex has yet to become playable. Overall, I'd say it fails in its mission of showing new players how to do the game.
    >
    > Any ideas on how to kick it in the posterior so can get on with it?

Had the same problem - Repair Game worked for me.

It resets back to where it got stuck. Basically, seems to stall in the first afternoon, so although you have the different steps to complete the tutorial never told me to do them. Once I repaired the game, it went back and told me to go to bed, make coffee, etc.
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    Does anyone know someone who has remade the tutorial Sim, Alex Moyer or smth?
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • spaceisstrangespaceisstrange Posts: 84 Member

when you start a new game she's added as a townie

when you start a new game she's added as a townie

If that's true, how come I don't see her among the townies?
    rosemow wrote: »

A simmer has uploaded her to the Gallery @paradiseplanet
    https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/AAA139C5F3BE11E88720ADD8C8E84D99

Thanks rosemow! :)
  • IyasenuIyasenu Posts: 325 Member
    On the topic of the Tutorial, can anyone explain this?
    d649d36250.png
    During the part of the tutorial where you can directly control Alex, while I had her in the kitchen, I noticed this moodlet, Cheerful Décor.
    So in this picture she's got one moodlet for Cheerful Décor and the one next to it is an ordinary "Decorated" moodlet.
    I thought that Cheerful Décor couldn't be given by anything in normal gameplay.
    I couldn't find anything in the tutorial home's kitchen that said it had Cheerful Ambience, either.
    Unless I overlooked something, at any rate.

Anyone have an idea what could be giving this?
    I'd kind of like to put whatever counts as Cheerful Décor in some of my own houses.
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited December 2018
    @lyasenu
    Edit: ! I googled, and it said cheerful decor is what happens when a Glutton traited sim is near food. She's cooking...does she have Glutton trait?
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    Cheerful decor is from holiday stuff, isn't it? That sign on the wall on the right side looks a bit like the new holiday pack wall sign. Is it a different one?

It can't be that, can it? Even if it's a free pack, it's still optional to download it, so it couldn't be part of the tutorial, right?
    And, isn't the new holiday stuff from the most recent patch a few days ago?
    This picture was taken on the 13th, so I'm not sure.

But I'll have to have a look at the new Holiday stuff next time I get a chance to play, since I haven't even checked out any of the new stuff yet!

I'll also look around the tutorial house again and see if I overlooked something.
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited December 2018
    @lyasenu Check my post again, I did a google search and an edit. Seems like glutton trait causes the moodlet if food is nearby. I'm going to guess that Alex is a glutton, and she's cooking. \o
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    Check my post again, I did a google search and an edit. Seems like glutton trait causes the moodlet if food is nearby. I'm going to guess that Alex is a glutton, and she's cooking. \o

Wow, that's amazing.
    Yeah, one of Alex's traits is Glutton!

Ha, food counts as décor for a Glutton, that's pretty funny.
  • mock68mock68 Posts: 696 Member
    I'm working through the tutorial as I want the 'trend setter' trait but it is dragging on and on.
    How long does the tutorial last?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    mock68 wrote: »
    I'm working through the tutorial as I want the 'trend setter' trait but it is dragging on and on.
    How long does the tutorial last?

During my first run with it, it went for several in-game days before it finally ended. You'll know the tutorial is wrapping up when it asks you to travel to the park.
  • BlackjackWidowBlackjackWidow Posts: 23 Member
    [quote="mock68;c-16881617"]I'm working through the tutorial as I want the 'trend setter' trait but it is dragging on and on.
    How long does the tutorial last?[/quote]

Mine dragged on because it was stuck. (I was supposed to make coffee, but it was disabled by the tutorial)

If you go through an overnight without progressing, try save & exiting the game, then repair the game and go back in. It should move it along after that. Hope this helps
  • SimmingDolphin27SimmingDolphin27 Posts: 1 New Member
    Ahaha I accidentally broke the tutorial by cooking my own food because Alex didn’t make any for me 😂 But then quite a while later in the game when the tutorial wasn’t working (I didn’t know how to prepare for work because the showering and toilet stuff wasn’t coming up) it told me to grab a plate of Alex’s delicious food -it was just pointing to an empty space?- and then Alex went and finally made some food but ate it herself ._. needless to say I had to restart the tutorial 😂
  • emilysemilys Posts: 24 Member
    Is there a way to unlock the aspirations in the tutorial? I know there's a site for the traits...but haven't seen anything to get the career-minded aspirations unlocked.
    Ratpicklerick.png
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,837 Member
    edited February 2019
    We know that not everyone would want to play through the entire tutorial in order to get these traits which is why we managed to also uncover new cheats that’ll help you immediately obtain these Traits for your Sims. Simply open up the cheat console using CTRL + Shift + C and enter the following cheats for each trait accordingly:

Over-Achiever: traits.equip_trait Over_Achiever
    Career-Minded: traits.equip_trait CareerMinded

YRYBKPw.png

9DCWLLw.png

https://simscommunity.info/2018/12/10/the-sims-4-unlocking-the-tutorial-exclusive-traits/