Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why is a "New Game" not a "Fresh Game"?

It took me a while to notice that creating a new game on an old installation is not the same thing as creating one immediately after install.

I have a template save where I added cold/hot weather clothing to all my townies' wardrobes (instead of letting the game choose it randomly). Every time I start a new game I load the template and save a copy with a different name. But recently I wanted to start a completely fresh game and was surprised that all townies had kept their assigned pieces of clothing. Also all the households I had added to my world were still present.

The only way I could think of to produce an out-of-the-box game was to temporarily rename the Sims 4 folder in my settings directory (maybe moving the game saves would have been sufficient, I didn't bother wasting time to find out).

So, every time I load an old game the next "new" game uses the last loaded world.

Am I the only one having this problem or is that common on everybodys installation? And if so, is it a bug or intentional? Is the world and it's households a static thing?

Comments

• MuggyQuasarMuggyQuasar Posts: 169 Member
    That's definitely strange. When I create a new game it's a completely "fresh" game with everything back to the way it was like a vanilla save.
    lgYUYx0.jpg
  • LolaLuvsSimsLolaLuvsSims Posts: 1,827 Member
    I always get a "fresh" game
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    I too always get a fresh game. Not sure why its not completely resetting for you.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • TopNotchToddlerTopNotchToddler Posts: 190 Member
    Thank you all for your feedback.

I just found out another detail. To make that bug/behaviour occur I had to move households between My Households and Other Households.

What I did:

1) I made a backup and improvised a fresh install by renaming "C:\Users\[MyName]\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4" to "The Sims 5".

2) I started TS4, hit the Play button, skipped the tutorial and created some random sim.

3) I selected a random season and moved my sim to a random lot.

4) After Live Mode started I changed to Manage Worlds and Manage Households, moved my sim to Other Households and saved the game.

Now any new game has that particular sim already present at that particular lot.
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    This actually happened to me. I started a new save (just a testing save), and it copied my building save. I thought it was super strange. So I started another save (Legacy save) and it was “fresh”. I have no idea why that happened, luckily it was a save I use to just test CC, mods, and new patches.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• JackOnYourBackJackOnYourBack Posts: 1,261 Member
    That might happen if you enter a save and exit to menu without saving to then, from the menu, click new save. For some reason you have a chance of getting a "new" copy of the world you exited without saving. I actually used that bug (I guess?) when I wanted to start a new(ish) save while still keeping my achievements.
    There are probably other reasons for this to occur as well I guess.
    Gallery ID: JackOnYourBack