Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    @painted_dreams87 no problem! And there's nothing wrong with trying CC but backing out of it, aside from having to re-dress sims and re-furnish homes (okay that does kind of stink lol) Thankfully lots of people here can answer any questions you have about it.

Oh and for incorporating packs into my story, I kind of don't. Lol. I did have to introduce pets into the middle of it but I was lucky that there were lots of in-story reasons my characters should not have owned pets before it. Seasons was an interesting one. I basically put a stop to all extreme weather in San Myshuno and do my best to keep it at its most mild and San Francisco-esque (but less cloudy), so I somehow had a much easier time before Seasons with my story and want that sort of stasis back! :p And I used mods to give other worlds an autumn or wintery look so it's easy to just let Seasons do the work for me and the results are about the same.

My favorite part about Cats & Dogs' release was that everyone finally had pets in their story and didn't even bother trying to justify it...I like that. I like sudden dogs. :p One of my favorite examples of integrating Seasons into a story that didn't have it at first is @LadyLobster's Bat Fangs and Broomsticks which found a unique way to bring weather into her established season-less lore. It's a great story so I won't spoil anything else.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »
    For anyone who has a "character page" for their legacy do you involve the person's spouse?

i try and do one for each generatiom i include info on the heir and spouse.

i actually have to update generation1 though the founders aren't together anymore but are with new people.

i also list the kids
    hopefully tomorrow i can update. trying to see if ui gets updated but only 2 families are big.
  • ShadamiShadami Posts: 4,353 Member
    edited November 2018
    I'm curious. Does anyone else play Sims without mods and custom content? I used a ton of CC in Sims 3, but it was a nightmare and destroyed my game. I've never used either for Sims 4, because it runs well now, and I don't want to risk it. I'm not overly tempted by mods (not that they aren't fantastic, just not my thing), but some of the CC clothes and hair is tempting.

me typically. Because of the Big Brother game i started I am using some very basic mods now: more clubs, some UI interface thing to adjust the relationship numbers, and MCC. And I use MCC for my ISBI story, but otherwise I typically play with no mods or CC.
    Another question since I'm new to this. How do you incorporate new packs into your stories? I'll have Get Famous eventually, maybe even right away. But I don't want to force into my story and lose what I'm building.
    I only just started writing sims lits really in Jan.(and got the game a year before that) So I didn't really gain many new packs during that time. But for things like seasons that I knew I would be getting I started to incorporate weather things. For example "someone wished for it to snow for once like they'd heard of happening in far off lands." or "The world felt colder then it did before." just little hints here and there of the weather changing. And I started most of those stories when seasons went live in a season that made sense to transition into. mainly summer or fall. xD

For other packs, it's really just a twist of a story element. "a husband wanting to treat his wife to a spa day for all the hard work she does." that kind of thing. I feel like for each one that you want to add elements from there is a way to sneak it in. Vampires in a story can be the surprise discovery of one as the magic portal protecting their world from the sims world fades or something. Aliens could have a crash landing on the sims planet. ect, ect. I don't think there is any one way to do it, but jsut have fun with it :dizzy:

But speaking of packs. do we think some our going to go on sale soon because of get famous? I really want to pick up a few more of the stuff packs I don't have. But i have to get them on sale :/ or pick one or two of the 7 i have left and be really picky. xD
  • painted_dreams87painted_dreams87 Posts: 93 Member
    edited November 2018
    That's really interesting @InfraGreen I didn't consider what big changes pets and especially seasons would have brought to the game, much bigger than what Get Famous likely will. My Sim wouldn't become a celebrity or anything. That's not part of her story, but I could see it being a possibility for the next generation. If they lived in a different city, and fame was a thing there. Kind of like how I live in the Midwest, so fame isn't a thing here really, but people in L.A. live completely different lives.

@Shadami I'm glad to know I haven't been the only one! I enjoy the game without anything extra. I feel like if I ever dove into mods, I'd get wrapped up in playing around with them and forget to play my actual game. :D

That's a neat way to incorporate new packs! Hinting would be a smooth transition.

I'm not sure about sales. I would imagine there will be a sale for Black Friday coming up though.
    Post edited by painted_dreams87 on
  • ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    Pose Player and Teleporter mods have been updated. Tagging everyone who said they need them in here... @MadameLee @15aewar @CitizenErased14 @squirrelwithacup
  • lilypadmeulinlilypadmeulin Posts: 1,655 Member
    I'm hesitant about downloading pose packs as I don't know how they work. I feel like they'd be useful for the story I'm writing though!
  • ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    I'm hesitant about downloading pose packs as I don't know how they work. I feel like they'd be useful for the story I'm writing though!

You need the pose player mod and the teleporter mod and the pose you want. :)

1) Put them all in your mods folder (Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4/Mods) and open your game (make sure mods are enabled in-game).
    2) Go in to the lot you want to pose your sim on (make sure you can edit the lot itself)
    3) Place down a teleporter statue (I type 'sim' and it shows up) in build/buy mode
    4) Go into live mode and click on the statue.
    5) Select sim (sim will teleport to statue)
    6) Click sim (the one you teleported) - Pose by Pack - Select Pack - Select Pose
  • NyteRoseNyteRose Posts: 1,672 Member
    Bugsie2016 wrote: »

6) Click sim (the one you teleported) - Pose by Pack - Select Pack - Select Pose

So THAT's what I was doing wrong with the Pose Player! But it still didn't work with non-teleported Sims I wanted to pose with the teleported Sim... /confused

It can't rain all the time- Eric Draven, The Crow
    NyteRose wrote: »

So THAT's what I was doing wrong with the Pose Player! But it still didn't work with non-teleported Sims I wanted to pose with the teleported Sim... /confused

@NyteRose: In what way? Because it should work on any sim you select to pose, especially if they're under your control.

outrun / blog / tunglr

You need the pose player mod and the teleporter mod and the pose you want. :)

1) Put them all in your mods folder (Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4/Mods) and open your game (make sure mods are enabled in-game).
    2) Go in to the lot you want to pose your sim on (make sure you can edit the lot itself)
    3) Place down a teleporter statue (I type 'sim' and it shows up) in build/buy mode
    4) Go into live mode and click on the statue.
    5) Select sim (sim will teleport to statue)

thank you! this is very useful
    If I ever use that mod, that is a really helpful step by step directions bugsie. Thanks. :D
  • 15aewar15aewar Posts: 1,051 Member
    Pose Player and Teleporter mods have been updated. Tagging everyone who said they need them in here... @MadameLee @15aewar @CitizenErased14 @squirrelwithacup

Thank you so much for letting us know, Bugsie!
  • NyteRoseNyteRose Posts: 1,672 Member
    InfraGreen wrote: »

@NyteRose: In what way? Because it should work on any sim you select to pose, especially if they're under your control.

Maybe it was because the teleported Sim wasn't under my control? I gave up on trying to get it to work.
    It can't rain all the time- Eric Draven, The Crow
    The first chapter of Reborn can be found here!

Reborn
    InfraGreen wrote: »

Maybe it was because the teleported Sim wasn't under my control? I gave up on trying to get it to work.

Yeah they sometimes prioritize non-controlled actions that are queued up vs posing. I don't even think posing is pushed to the next in queue for played sims automatically (but you can also strip them of their autonomy so it doesn't matter) I almost always make sure everyone I want to pose is under my control, usually in a new save if it means having lots and lots of sims in hand. Just my tips though!

outrun / blog / tunglr
    The first chapter of Reborn can be found here!

Reborn

Fun! I like where it is heading
  • MorningstarMorningstar Posts: 318 Member
    I'm curious. Does anyone else play Sims without mods and custom content? I used a ton of CC in Sims 3, but it was a nightmare and destroyed my game. I've never used either for Sims 4, because it runs well now, and I don't want to risk it. I'm not overly tempted by mods (not that they aren't fantastic, just not my thing), but some of the CC clothes and hair is tempting.

I don't play with mods or CC. Like you, I had some bad experiences with CC in TS3 so I stopped using them. It seems likely I'll cave and get pose player for Part Two of my story, though, since I think it'll make some screenshots easier/faster to get.

The benefit of using TS3 now is that there are no more game updates coming to break the mods/CC, and it's an older game now, so I have a computer that can run it without any issues.
    As I mentioned earlier in this thread, some of my original screenshots in the first several chapters are poorer quality because it didn't occur to me how much more powerful my current computer is until my boyfriend was like "Isn't that game like 10 years old? Why aren't you playing with better graphics settings? That computer can definitely run it no problem." Obviously, this was a very exciting realization :joy: Now I play with all the settings maxed out >:)
    From the town's first community lot to each household and rabbit hole, watch the stories unfold...
    Rebuilding Appaloosa Plains
    Prologue & Chapters 1-18 out now!
    Origin ID: Mourning-Stars | Simming since 2000
    MadameLee wrote: »
    For anyone who has a "character page" for their legacy do you involve the person's spouse?
    You have a few options for this. You can do it family tree style, in which you'd include all spouses/partners and children. Or you can just have a character list, with pictures, names and bios. Personally I would still include the spouses and kids, although perhaps without a bio. Like just having the spouse's picture below the more significant character's, their name, and "Husband of Queen Anne" or whatever :smile:
    From the town's first community lot to each household and rabbit hole, watch the stories unfold...
    That's really interesting @InfraGreen I didn't consider what big changes pets and especially seasons would have brought to the game, much bigger than what Get Famous likely will. My Sim wouldn't become a celebrity or anything. That's not part of her story, but I could see it being a possibility for the next generation. If they lived in a different city, and fame was a thing there. Kind of like how I live in the Midwest, so fame isn't a thing here really, but people in L.A. live completely different lives.

@Shadami I'm glad to know I haven't been the only one! I enjoy the game without anything extra. I feel like if I ever dove into mods, I'd get wrapped up in playing around with them and forget to play my actual game. :D

That's a neat way to incorporate new packs! Hinting would be a smooth transition.

I'm not sure about sales. I would imagine there will be a sale for Black Friday coming up though.

When I decided to relaunch my story, I installed Seasons and went back to take some extra screenshots to integrate different seasons into the original storyline. Before that, though, I planned to only integrate Seasons when my town got the Science Facility :joy: I toyed with the idea that the scientists were tampering with the local climate, especially since there are "weather-controlling machines" in The Sims games.

As Shadami suggested, you can use the game's quirks to your advantage and perhaps start a storyline/side plot to explain a major change like the introduction of vampires, aliens, seasons, or a fame system :wink:
    edited November 2018

When I decided to relaunch my story, I installed Seasons and went back to take some extra screenshots to integrate different seasons into the original storyline. Before that, though, I planned to only integrate Seasons when my town got the Science Facility :joy: I toyed with the idea that the scientists were tampering with the local climate, especially since there are "weather-controlling machines" in The Sims games.

As Shadami suggested, you can use the game's quirks to your advantage and perhaps start a storyline/side plot to explain a major change like the introduction of vampires, aliens, seasons, or a fame system :wink:

i'm not sure if this is quirk. the benders is a rewrite so when attempt one failed i started over but noel was dead at the part where it broke he and lauren both. when they died i didn;t have city living yet. when i tried again i did. well noel was in a lounge and had to pee bad. so he went in the bathroom and used it. this was when he discovered he was sitting on a talking toilet. this is what i expected to happen get in do what needs done get out . he did finish but instead of washing his hands like i expected he turned around and peed again cause he was fascinated by the concept a toilet could talk.

like i said he had died so it was new to him.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member
    edited November 2018
    @Bugsie2016 thanks for letting us know!!

@Morningstar um Queen Anne isn't a major part of the story. yes I did see you're comment on the last chapter. As I said on their we have yet to be introduced to
    Princess Kerry the grandchild of Queen Clara who help Clarissa my founder

This is what I have so far for my Characters (the only one's spouse I'm going to put is the founder and heiress' spouse. Only reason Molly and Carly get bios is because of the fact I had thought of one of them being the heir.. but then I went into the bullying thing of Jacob and a duel and Hannah and Jacob being true loves

http://wwwswansonslegacy.blogspot.com/p/characters.html
    6adMCGP.gif
  • painted_dreams87painted_dreams87 Posts: 93 Member
    @Morningstar I had a similar experience with Sims 4. I was running it on fairly low/medium quality, because that's what I need to run other games on. My husband pointed out that Sims 4 was not a gaming marvel, and I could easily play on the highest settings with no problem. :D It was a lot of fun to realize that and see how cool the game looked with all the details.

Scientists tampering with climate sounds like it would be hilarious and so fun to write!
    @Morningstar I had a similar experience with Sims 4. I was running it on fairly low/medium quality, because that's what I need to run other games on. My husband pointed out that Sims 4 was not a gaming marvel, and I could easily play on the highest settings with no problem. :D It was a lot of fun to realize that and see how cool the game looked with all the details.

Scientists tampering with climate sounds like it would be hilarious and so fun to write!

I'm definitely keeping the mad scientists idea in my back pocket in case I get frustrated with using seasons in my play-through :tongue: it would be super fun to write!
    More insight on Matthew's two loves ( :sweat_smile: Dorothy and the unicorn :sweat_smile: ) in Chapter 9 of Rebuilding Appaloosa Plains :smile:

d5bd2c_828e9a5fbe6a4f30b26063b7bc04f2ef~mv2.webp

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top