Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is there a way to be notified when someone quotes you?

I see you get a notification if someone @'s you but not when quoted.
I had a look in the settings but couldn't find anything to do with it.
Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)

Comments

• lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,255 Member
    When EA_Mage was still here, she said that there wasn't no quick and easy way to enable this feature.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/940837/its-time-to-bring-in-more-reaction-options-like-lol-agree-and-disagree/p5
    EA_Mage wrote: »
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    This forum has been around for years now. Why haven’t they implemented the ability to get notifications when someone quotes you?

I don’t mean the option to turn on notifications when someone comments on a thread you commented on, which is how it works now, but just when you’re actually quoted. I mean, what exactly is the hold up.

I really hope they’re working on this.

You know i was thinking the same thing the other day it's really how that doesn't really notify the quoted one maybe we can ask @EA_Mage

@Chazzzy @husseinandali Thank you very much for you feedback on this. Currently there is no quick and easy way to enable this feature, but we will look into it.

Thanks,
    -Mage

You could tag EA_Lanna to the thread to see what she says about it but my guess that it would be the same response as EA_Mage.
  • SheriGRSheriGR Posts: 795 Member
    That would be REALLY handy.
    Sims 4 Gallery
    EA ID: SheriGR
    TWITTER: https://twitter.com/SheriGr
    "What does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." ― Micah 6:8
  • SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    lisasc360 wrote: »
    When EA_Mage was still here, she said that there wasn't no quick and easy way to enable this feature.
    You could tag EA_Lanna to the thread to see what she says about it but my guess that it would be the same response as EA_Mage.
    Ah thanks for the link. I'm not gonna at her cause the response is probably the same and... I don't like her lol, would never initiate a conversation.
    SheriGR wrote: »
    That would be REALLY handy.
    Yeah I have to go back to threads to see if someone responded or not. And I do the same with other people, I quote not @ them. Some usernames are long anddifficult and I simply do not remember them all if I'm replying to several people.

Simpkin wrote: »
    Ah thanks for the link. I'm not gonna at her cause the response is probably the same and... I don't like her lol, would never initiate a conversation.

You're welcome... :)

Now what I do when I end up quoting someone is that I tag them in my post. I do this a lot over in the "What happened in your Sims 3 game today?" thread when I'm doing a bunch of commenting on other members updates... :)
    @lisasc360 lol see I completely forgot to mention you and the other person in my last post. You just have to come back yourself.

@lisasc360 lol see I completely forgot to mention you and the other person in my last post. You just have to come back yourself.

@Simpkin, it's not a problem since I've been keeping track of this thread myself.

Of course when I had quoted your post where you had thanked me, I had edited out the other quote thinking that you had tagged both myself and SheriGR in it and I didn't want SheriGR to get a notification that I had tagged her as well...lol
    We need this!
    Even though it would be a good idea on having this enabled but I've been thinking about when a comment gets quoted by one person and then everyone else quotes that person's comment with the quote in it, will it send out notifications to everyone that's quoted that post. Say for an example if the the post had 5-10 layers of quotes, every one of the members who was quoted in that post/s will get notified.

An example would be like this:
    Seera1024 wrote: »
    Kali_Durga wrote: »
    Kali_Durga wrote: »
    people over here are too sensitive.

Sadly it's an internet thing with people being too sensitive and not just on this site. jmo

ehh not really, i know plenty of websites where people are very politically incorrect and they have less issues than these politically correct forums :p
    i would say that people above their 26s get very offended by anything, really. old hags dont know how to have fun.

And I'm sure those under 26 get offended easily too, because their brain hasn't matured enough to realize that ignoring it is probably best.

Let's not generalize the age of people getting worked up over little things.

Those forums you see with politically incorrect members may only appear to have less issues with people getting offended. Those sites may have an older target audience who is more mature than the target audience of this site. They may get equally as offended, but they'll respond in a more mature way. So topics and threads that go politically incorrect aren't instantly closed down due to that because the members aren't breaking other rules in response.

In my experience, public websites/pages that pride themselves on not being politically correct don't tend to react very maturely. Their members team up and act condescending and use bullying tactics towards anyone who disagrees with their anti politically correct opinions and they don't see the irony in accusing anyone with a different opinion to them of being easily offended. You won't have many issues among their core members, as they all have the same attitude.

I'm glad there are still some websites where people can have more civilised conversations. I miss the (internet) days where people in general could properly argue from both sides of an issue instead of just acting condescending and accusing each other of being offended. Maybe that's the kind of forums you guys are talking about? Where people are not obsessed with political (in)correctness and can just have a genuine conversation.

That's why I like that there's no disagree button. What's the point in indicating "I have a different opinion from yours" without explaining what that opinion is? Rather have an actual discussion between people than just having people booing eachother anonymously.

There are people on here that I tend to disagree with in general and yet I'm often surprised at how civilised the conversations with them and surrounding them tend to be, compared to how things go in other parts of the internet. So I'm okay with how things are now.

Would everyone that's been quoted here get a notification providing that they have the option switched to get them? And if they do, then I would think that eventually they would get tired of getting notifications for being quoted so many times like this. So I'm fine if someone just tags me in the post that they've created... :)
    @lisasc360 I've run a forum myself on a much more limited server than this one here. It is possible to only get the notification when your own direct post gets quoted, no matter how many other previous quotes are in it, they do not get notified.
    @lisasc360 I've run a forum myself on a much more limited server than this one here. It is possible to only get the notification when your own direct post gets quoted, no matter how many other previous quotes are in it, they do not get notified.

Thank you... :) I wasn't too sure about how that would work when others would quote the post with the original quote in it. At least it wouldn't be too annoying then to get like 5-10 notifications from different people that quoted you only to find to out that they were quoting to post with the quote already in it. If that makes any sense at all...lol
  • unmogunmog Posts: 54 Member
    Getting a notification when someone quotes you is considered standard for like, every other forum. But EA would charge you extra for it I guess.
    moogle-gif-3.gif
  • AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    I've been wanting this functionality also. I've missed out on many replies because people do not do the @ respond. It should be optional with a toggle switch. I think this is something Vanilla would have to implement, as they are the company that powers these forums. I'm sure the gurus can pass this idea along to them.
    unmog wrote: »
    Getting a notification when someone quotes you is considered standard for like, every other forum. But EA would charge you extra for it I guess.

@unmog,
    No, EA would not charge extra for it if they could add notifications for being quoted. It's probably not an easy feature to enable. Just take a look at my 1st post in this thread where I have quoted what EA_Mage had said about this. She said that there's no quick and easy way to enable this feature and that they will look into it. My guess is that they can't enable it given that she said that in June of this year and here it is December now.

The best thing to do when you quote someone's post is to tag that member in your post. (ex. @member) and that person will hopefully get the notification that they've been mentioned.
  • unmogunmog Posts: 54 Member
    unmog wrote: »

@unmog,
    No, EA would not charge extra for it if they could add notifications for being quoted. It's probably not an easy feature to enable. Just take a look at my 1st post in this thread where I have quoted what EA_Mage had said about this. She said that there's no quick and easy way to enable this feature and that they will look into it. My guess is that they can't enable it given that she said that in June of this year and here it is December now.

The best thing to do when you quote someone's post is to tag that member in your post. (ex. @member) and that person will hopefully get the notification that they've been mentioned.

@lisasc360
    It was a joke. Basically because with EA's resources no matter how hard they say it is I think they can manage to do what literally even free open source forums can do. And the jab about charging for it was because EA has had a bit of rough water concerning loot boxes and such.

Otherwise, yes I know there's a workaround if you add @ and someones name it will notify them. Im just saying its extra work for end users and can be easily forgotten to do when you're used to quotes notifying people like they do at literally almost every other forum.
    moogle-gif-3.gif
    it's a hassle though if you're talking to several people at once. It's easier to just click once on the quote button not have to type out ever username, which can be long and/or difficult to remember.

Okay, is it just me or you get notified now when someone quotes you? If yes, then it's the best thing that ever happened on this forum.