Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Thoughts on new patch - Is it worth it? Update: I patched!

paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
This isn't like those other threads about the new patch, I just need people's opinion on whether or not it should be worth it to download it right now. It's not like I don't like the content that's in it, but rather that I'm scared it might break my game. I've been doing well taking care of my saves, and since I play with the same one for years, I don't want to risk an update this huge on it getting corrupted or breaking. Don't worry, my mods are in a quiet place rn and I've reset the game folders and deleted the cache and repaired everything already to prepare for the worst. Do you believe it's worth it to download right now, or safer to wait it out and wait for a patch to hotfix anything from this patch and probably from Get Famous once it drops?
Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
Post edited by paradiseplanet on

Comments

• x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    edited November 2018
    I haven't explored most of the features, the new challenge, and tested all the bug fixes... The only feature that I've been playing is the first-person camera. So far so good, only that, I have a minor glitch. I'm playing on Mac with NoCC/Mod. The Gurus are aware of this... Other than that, I think it's a pretty good patch.
    7WmHzk3.png
    NPnKMPo.png
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    edited November 2018
    I've been getting reports of users losing sims who were sired by Father Winter. There are also a few who said their saves were lost, but I'm not sure if that really is the patch's fault and if the files were deleted permanently

The fixes and additions are great, but I advise backing up
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,577 Member
    This isn't like those other threads about the new patch, I just need people's opinion on whether or not it should be worth it to download it right now. It's not like I don't like the content that's in it, but rather that I'm scared it might break my game. I've been doing well taking care of my saves, and since I play with the same one for years, I don't want to risk an update this huge on it getting corrupted or breaking. Don't worry, my mods are in a quiet place rn and I've reset the game folders and deleted the cache and repaired everything already to prepare for the worst. Do you believe it's worth it to download right now, or safer to wait it out and wait for a patch to hotfix anything from this patch and probably from Get Famous once it drops?

There's always gonna be more bugs when they patch stuff so this is inevitable. There's always some annoying bug being added, I'm not surprised there are people starting to report them already. LOL.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • HowGreatThouArtHowGreatThouArt Posts: 1,662 Member
    I played an unmodded save in Live Mode for about 30 min, then spent another 30 in Build Mode. No bugs so far. I then loaded up my modded save and put my CC back in, and so far so good, but I've spent most of my time in Build Mode. Just in case, though, I saved my modded save as a new save, so that the modded save before the patch is still intact.

If you're itching to test out the new stuff, maybe just start a new save or play around with one that isn't super important to you. I think as long as you don't enter old saves - and re-save - they should be safe.

Number of times I used "save" in this post: 9 :D
    aSE16f8.gif
  • TrashmagicTrashmagic Posts: 977 Member
    I guess it all depends . Firstly you'll want to back up your save. I did that before updating just in case I ran into any issues.
    I'm a storyteller, so updating was a bit pointless for me other than to play around with the new features. I rely on a handful of mods that have yet to be updated so either way I'll have to be patient.

I think as long as you back up your save you'll be safe. If something becomes corrupted you have your back up.
  • TentacrocaclesTentacrocacles Posts: 449 Member
    Well I'm excited about the new patch. Huge list of stuff fixed this time, which I'm guessing is because they wanted to lower the amount of preexisting bugs in the game before GF releases.

I'm still waiting for it to download/install right now though, not sure when it's going to finish downloading because it was telling me it would take over an hour a second ago now it's saying 7mins?

Also @xamira99 what a strange yet interesting bug, does that happen all the time?
    A link to my most recent build in the gallery

tumblr_inline_okebxv2e9a1shjovd_1280.png
  • AriaMad2AriaMad2 Posts: 1,380 Member
    I wouldn’t know; I’m having patch update anxiety and haven’t done it.
    F€€Ł ŦĦ€ ŴΔV€ ØF ŞØỮŇĐ, ΔŞ ƗŦ ĆŘΔŞĦ€Ş ĐØŴŇ

ĴØIŇ UŞ ĆØŇŞUΜ€ ŦĦ€ FŘUIŦ ØF ŦĦ€ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ΔŇĐ KŇØŴ P€ΔĆ€
    Well I'm excited about the new patch. Huge list of stuff fixed this time, which I'm guessing is because they wanted to lower the amount of preexisting bugs in the game before GF releases.

I'm still waiting for it to download/install right now though, not sure when it's going to finish downloading because it was telling me it would take over an hour a second ago now it's saying 7mins?

Also @xamira99 what a strange yet interesting bug, does that happen all the time?

I tested it for a while like switching it from the first person to the third person view, then switch it again to the first-person and to the third-person view again. I keep seeing the same thing @Tentacrocacles .. But some players haven't experienced it.. I'm pretty sure it's not the Mod/CC faults (because I never played with Mod/CC).. And I play on Mac with laptop mode disabled..
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    xamira99 wrote: »

I tested it for a while like switching it from the first person to the third person view, then switch it again to the first-person and to the third-person view again. I keep seeing the same thing @Tentacrocacles .. But some players haven't experienced it.. I'm pretty sure it's not the Mod/CC faults (because I never played with Mod/CC).. And I play on Mac with laptop mode disabled..

I don't think I've seen anyone yet who has this bug on a non-Mac computer.
  • rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,337 Member
    edited November 2018
    I think it's worth it. Included in the mass amounts of bugs fixed are the non-interactive sims bug and sims not swimming. The new features are also great. It fixes a lot and puts the game in much better shape than the last patch based on what I've tested so far. However, there could be new bugs lurking around that I haven't seen yet, but again I personally think it's worth it based on what I've seen so far. Keep in mind though that they upgraded Python so mod creators need to update their mods.
    Post edited by rjssim on
  • joyofliving37joyofliving37 Posts: 106 Member
    edited November 2018
    Definitely back up your save if you decide to update your game. I backed up mine yesterday thinking that I might go ahead with the update, but after seeing all the reports on broken hair cc (which I use a lot of), broken clothes cc, and the majority of the mods I use being broken, I just decided to wait it out. When the mods and cc that I use the most are fixed, then I’ll update. I’m more excited about GF than the patch, but I didn’t plan on buying it on release day anyway since I’m waiting on a sale. In the meantime, I can still play uninterrupted since I turned Origin to offline so the update won’t be forced on me.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,475 Member
    I removed my Mods folder and backed-up my entire Sims4 game folder to be on the safe side. I played for just a short time, and then found out that there was already a hotfix for MCCC. I installed that and played for a bit longer. I threw an exception, but already this early morning there was another hotfix for MCCC. I just installed that one. I also, yesterday, returned Khitule's pointy ears. I didn't run into any problems.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
    IceyJ wrote: »
    xamira99 wrote: »

I don't think I've seen anyone yet who has this bug on a non-Mac computer.

It could be one of the reasons then. They recently fixed the upside down picture on Mac... So, I'm wondering if this issue happens only on Mac?
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    I guess it also depends on when the next patch to fix the patch will happen; I don't think it'll be the week after this one bc that's when Thanksgiving in the States happens, so at the earliest would be the last week of Nov or they could extend it to the monthly Dec patch? How long must I continue to wait before patching the patch then?
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,403 Member
    The patch contains a severe bug: Sims age up some days in CAS:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/TO-ADD-Sim-ages-while-in-CAS/m-p/7168803#M75512
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited November 2018

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/TO-ADD-Sim-ages-while-in-CAS/m-p/7168803#M75512

Details on the status of this one from over there, from @crinrict:
    • When playing in CAS, the Sim continues to age. The longer you stay in CAS, the older the Sim gets
    • Sims age even if you aging off
    • It seems they can randomly age up or down.
    • This bug is pretty game breaking as it ages them even through the different stages.
    • It looks like this bug does not occur if you have Get Famous installed (got early access to that myself thanks to EA Game Changers which is why I couldn't replicate the issue). This doesn't mean you need to buy the pack to fix the bug. Just wanted to put that info out there.

Worth also noting, everyone reporting it there has all or almost all packs, so it could be not affecting people who don't own some specific pack.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member

The thread also says Get Famous seems to fix the bug so that’s probably why it wasn’t caught! So those that are planning to get it will have a fix in a few days, but hopefully they hotfix this. I haven’t played yet since the update but will test in mine this afternoon.
  • boykinater18boykinater18 Posts: 237 Member
    edited November 2018
    I lost my legacy save :( I’m not too worried about it since I’ve reached generation 10 but it still hurts lol.
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    I lost my legacy save :( I’m not too worried about it since I’ve reached generation 10 but it still hurts lol.

That's why you should always back up your game folders every few play sessions!! I am paranoid about it so I do it every few weeks personally.
  • EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    I played last night for about 30 minutes and actually was able to load a save I thought I lost (it didn't want to load when I went into my game previously to answer a poll question from this forum). I switched my Sim's career to the new Style Influencer career and sent her out to interview 1 of 2 Sims (her first task to be eligible for promotion) and had no problems at all.

Details on the status of this one from over there, from @crinrict:
    • When playing in CAS, the Sim continues to age. The longer you stay in CAS, the older the Sim gets
    • Sims age even if you aging off
    • It seems they can randomly age up or down.
    • This bug is pretty game breaking as it ages them even through the different stages.
    • It looks like this bug does not occur if you have Get Famous installed (got early access to that myself thanks to EA Game Changers which is why I couldn't replicate the issue). This doesn't mean you need to buy the pack to fix the bug. Just wanted to put that info out there.

Worth also noting, everyone reporting it there has all or almost all packs, so it could be not affecting people who don't own some specific pack.

Looks like that'll be a no for me then on updating; I practically live in CAS and will be spending most of my time updating my Sims with the new basegame content + GF in the future so that's a big no on patching then for me. Guess I might have to wait much longer before patching... *sigh*
    I've decided to patch the hotfix today! I haven't gone into the actual game yet, but for those that already have and tested it, how is it working for you? :)
  • SamadamsPlayerSamadamsPlayer Posts: 583 Member
    I’ve patched today
    Doesn’t seamed to have worked I did backup before
    I have aging off but when I checked to see if it was fixed it was still a green bar where it shouldn’t be I’m not sure on what I should do any suggestions please ?
    Happy simming.
  • XwantonXwanton Posts: 85 Member
    I made the same choice as you @paradiseplanet by waiting until today to patch. Just downloading it now, but definitely glad I made the right choice in waiting. I think I'll do it with future patches, too. I don't blame people who did patch immediately though - all that new content was really appealing.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    My aging was fixed. No more aging unless I want my sims to age. So fixed for me.

If you did not have a back up of your save when it first happened - getting the fix is not going to move the game back to where your aging was before the issue - you had to make sure you had saved before that happen and went back to that save to return where you first had the issue. Is that your problem? I stopped playing when I sw my sims aging up immediately. So my save only had 5 days added and I play with aging off - so I can live with just 5 days added - but aging off is again working at least it worked when I went in and changed my sims clothing to Spring like wear - I go no more aging - so to me it is fixed. I don't use cheats in my game so I can't go back those 5 days without cheating - but I am okay with it as I control when my sims will age from here on out. My sim was just at the start of YA and now she is 5 days into YA so not a problem seeing no more days were added.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....