Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 Has Become Really Fun (because..)

It's been a while since I really played the Sims 4. Not that it wasn't fun. But in the same way that wall hanging or couch from the build menu only has so much interactivity, and my imagination can only do so much with it, a lot of the new items and gameplay have contributed to giving the game a lot more excitement. I think that this comes from a few things, and I wanted to make a quick feedback post about what I think is working, and why the game went from suddenly 'good' to 'really great.'

One of the earliest things added to the game that was the most fun for me were active careers. I also liked making menus for my restaurants, and controlling the way the venue should work, but when I stepped away, the AI followed those rules I initiated. With seasons, by far the best expansion, I like the random things that are out of my control somewhat with the holidays, and the in-game events that happen only on those days. Decorating the tree, making a feast, opening presents... reaching the mini-goals associated with those things, it keeps me playing a very long time, and the variation in the weather also is like another layer of depth to make every day feel different from the next one. Also, the Jungle Adventures pack was fun, due to the quest-like nature of the events when entering a tomb.
I think that when the game gives the player a directive, working towards that goal is fun. The sandbox element of the game still means that I can chose which Sim will be a doctor, which will be an adventurer, and which holidays he/she will celebrate. And when it throws in randomness that keeps it fresh.

I think that the most successful gameplay experience for me has been when I go into the game and say, 'this Sim is going to be a detective', and I pursue that career, and get wrapped up in the goals I have to undertake to complete it. But the best part is when I can fail, because I get distracted by the holidays, or a vampire comes to drain my blood and I have no energy, or when the unexpected happens to derail me completely. The reason that this happens is because there is so much content now, that it becomes interesting to see where the game will take me. For the first time, every Sim's story is quite different feeling from the next, and a day at Magnolia Park for one Sim is a totally different experience than a day at Magnolia Park for the next one.

I hope that in the future, there is more gameplay like in seasons, more goal-oriented gameplay, more gameobjects like the Christmas tree, more random events that are interactive for groups, and more challenging events that could make it harder to reach my Sim's goal. Thanks dev team for elevating the game over the years and committing to give us even better content in the future. Not many games do that, ever, and I hope that Sims 4 will keep getting better with age.

Comments

• Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,865 Member
    I've always been goal oriented versus sandbox so I really enjoy that aspect of the game.
  • Options
    x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    I created my own mini RPG with my Sims... to avoid any repetition in the game play, I randomised everything about them... so far, TS4 has been good..
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    ateKna wrote: »
    It's been a while since I really played the Sims 4. Not that it wasn't fun. But in the same way that wall hanging or couch from the build menu only has so much interactivity, and my imagination can only do so much with it, a lot of the new items and gameplay have contributed to giving the game a lot more excitement. I think that this comes from a few things, and I wanted to make a quick feedback post about what I think is working, and why the game went from suddenly 'good' to 'really great.'

One of the earliest things added to the game that was the most fun for me were active careers. I also liked making menus for my restaurants, and controlling the way the venue should work, but when I stepped away, the AI followed those rules I initiated. With seasons, by far the best expansion, I like the random things that are out of my control somewhat with the holidays, and the in-game events that happen only on those days. Decorating the tree, making a feast, opening presents... reaching the mini-goals associated with those things, it keeps me playing a very long time, and the variation in the weather also is like another layer of depth to make every day feel different from the next one. Also, the Jungle Adventures pack was fun, due to the quest-like nature of the events when entering a tomb.
    I think that when the game gives the player a directive, working towards that goal is fun. The sandbox element of the game still means that I can chose which Sim will be a doctor, which will be an adventurer, and which holidays he/she will celebrate. And when it throws in randomness that keeps it fresh.

I think that the most successful gameplay experience for me has been when I go into the game and say, 'this Sim is going to be a detective', and I pursue that career, and get wrapped up in the goals I have to undertake to complete it. But the best part is when I can fail, because I get distracted by the holidays, or a vampire comes to drain my blood and I have no energy, or when the unexpected happens to derail me completely. The reason that this happens is because there is so much content now, that it becomes interesting to see where the game will take me. For the first time, every Sim's story is quite different feeling from the next, and a day at Magnolia Park for one Sim is a totally different experience than a day at Magnolia Park for the next one.

I hope that in the future, there is more gameplay like in seasons, more goal-oriented gameplay, more gameobjects like the Christmas tree, more random events that are interactive for groups, and more challenging events that could make it harder to reach my Sim's goal. Thanks dev team for elevating the game over the years and committing to give us even better content in the future. Not many games do that, ever, and I hope that Sims 4 will keep getting better with age.

Exactly what I been trying to say - that few seem to get. You said it all perfectly with my own experience I've been having in Sims 4. It is fun for me too.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    soko37soko37 Posts: 593 Member
    It's as fun as it is disappointing in almost irritatingly equal amounts. You smile, then ehhh, then oh ffs 🐸🐸🐸🐸 🐸🐸🐸🐸, then smile again. Sims 4 is a roller coaster.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I play like this often also. I always have a backstory or a starting goal in mind for my sim (usually both). Love the active careers because I can have a more complete picture of who that sim is .. scientist, cop, doctor ect, even when they weren't at work. Don't get me wrong I loved the work days but the continuing interactions, "props", uniforms and devices that can be used at home (sometimes). Allows me to continue that story and make it stand out as more believable and satisfying to me.
    I agree with then you add to it all the things you can do after... like I can make a cop drinking club, or a mad scientist victim club ect, a doctor love club and it's just scratching the surface... flip it all around and add in imagination. Then the holidays on top of that... It's layers.. like building a good story.
    I have to say I'm glad I've been on this ride from the beginning because for me .. if I got all of the sim stuff and tools dropped in my lap at once... I wouldn't know where to start, it would be hard for me personally. I might miss out on how to use this stuff together basically because you have to learn how to use the tools. I'm a slow but very imaginative player though so the build up has been good.
    I can't wait for the acting career.. I'm hoping it will give me more of that type of play .. help build some different characters more fully and elaborately. I already have an idea for a fashion consultant story. I'm really excited for the future.. for the stories I can tell later too. It's a great time to be a simmer for me.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    soko37 wrote: »
    It's as fun as it is disappointing in almost irritatingly equal amounts. You smile, then ehhh, then oh ffs plum plum, then smile again. Sims 4 is a roller coaster.

Sorry you are having those bad experiences - but I am not. I enjoy playing almost every single day and without issues. It is nice to see others have my experience as well - but I cannot explain why everyone doesn't have the good experiences, no lag, no weird bugs - none of that. I just don't and really do have fun with my game - without the plum plum roller coaster you seem to have.

Yes the active careers are my favorite and play them a lot. I am so looking forward to the active acting career more than almost anything. I cheer for more active careers - definitely.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    edited October 2018
    It has been more frustrating and disappointing than fun as of lately. I just can not play with certain bugs and glitches that keep appearing. The last time I really enjoyed it was since before the gender update. Ever since then, it has had endless issues.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    It's as fun as it is disappointing in almost irritatingly equal amounts. You smile, then ehhh, then oh ffs plum plum, then smile again. Sims 4 is a roller coaster.

Sorry you are having those bad experiences - but I am not. I enjoy playing almost every single day and without issues. It is nice to see others have my experience as well - but I cannot explain why everyone doesn't have the good experiences, no lag, no weird bugs - none of that. I just don't and really do have fun with my game - without the plum plum roller coaster you seem to have.

Yes the active careers are my favorite and play them a lot. I am so looking forward to the active acting career more than almost anything. I cheer for more active careers - definitely.

No need to be sorry. I still enjoy the game, sometimes. Not sure if you played previous sims, 2 and 3, but sims 4 is a downgrade in a lot of ways from those two games in way of detail, object interaction, and sim to sim interaction. Sims 4 also has its upgrades like multitasking, sim graphics, and CAS and build mode changes I prefer. Give and takes, hence the roller coaster.

If you haven't played previous sims then yeah I'm sure it seems flawless, but fact is, it's watered down in the specific ways I mentioned above.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I've played them all. I don't agree but really I don't think that's what this thread is about.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    edited October 2018

No need to be sorry. I still enjoy the game, sometimes. Not sure if you played previous sims, 2 and 3, but sims 4 is a downgrade in a lot of ways from those two games in way of detail, object interaction, and sim to sim interaction. Sims 4 also has its upgrades like multitasking, sim graphics, and CAS and build mode changes I prefer. Give and takes, hence the roller coaster.

If you haven't played previous sims then yeah I'm sure it seems flawless, but fact is, it's watered down in the specific ways I mentioned above.

I even tested The Original Sims for Will Wright so yes I have played all the Sims games and before that all the Sim Cities. I Sim basically all the time. LOL. I also still have active game on my pc for Sims 2, 3 and 4 as well. Play those 3 a lot - I don't have The Original (Sims 1 as some call it) on here though. Simming since November of 1999.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member

This is exactly how I feel about it. It really is a rollercoaster ride for me. Today is one of the frustrating days for me, thus I uninstalled...But plan to reinstall once the next patch comes out. I also keep a backup clean (vanilla) save that has never been played on all I've done on it is renovated all worlds, added my own created sims, and gave all premade townies makeovers so whenever I uninstall and then reinstall I can put in my clean save and start playing.

"Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    I've had consistent fun with the game. And that's vanilla. No mods. No CC. Just the game and packs as they are. :) People like to go on about how limited it is, but I often feel like it's more how limited the player's imagination is.

For example, I'm not a family player. I couldn't care less about toddlers, and I skip most of the ages until YA and up. But that said? I've made several builds out of the kids and toddlers packs. An outdoor children's play theater. A GTW store for kids' room supplies. An orphanage for toddlers. So even a pack that I have the least interest in the gameplay for, I find plenty of uses for and don't regret having.

Vampires? Couldn't care less about them. I got that pack purely for the wall decos that have the holes and cracks and water stains. And I've made use of those in so many builds that I've lost count. Having those items that can make builds less than squeaky clean has boosted building by I don't know how much.

It's all in how you look at it. I can make some good fun out of any pack, regardless of how much the gameplay may or may not interest me. I'm not much into CAS, but I know others are really into that and making Sims, and every pack comes with new outfits. You can get really creative in crafting Sims around those outfits too. And those outfit designs/colors could even inspire the homes they end up living in.

I feel like every pack really does have something for everyone. People take the marketing for them at face value though. GT isn't about nightclubs. It's about making clubs for friends, for skilling, for giving yourself free maids or cooks, clubs for kids, clubs for new pack activities like bowling. GTW isn't just about the three careers in it. You can play with the aliens if you want. You can use the deco items to outfit diners from Dine Out.

You can even use the silly costumes from Spooky stuff to make themed diners or stores. It's pretty interesting what you can do when you combine stuff.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Sometimes I go with a plan (I have a save where my household is trying to complete all the collections), other times I’lol just play a Sim and see where the game takes him/her. I’m planning a Fame specific save where my Sims will explore fame in all sorts of careers/professions.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    I've had consistent fun with the game. And that's vanilla. No mods. No CC. Just the game and packs as they are. :) People like to go on about how limited it is, but I often feel like it's more how limited the player's imagination is.

For example, I'm not a family player. I couldn't care less about toddlers, and I skip most of the ages until YA and up. But that said? I've made several builds out of the kids and toddlers packs. An outdoor children's play theater. A GTW store for kids' room supplies. An orphanage for toddlers. So even a pack that I have the least interest in the gameplay for, I find plenty of uses for and don't regret having.

Vampires? Couldn't care less about them. I got that pack purely for the wall decos that have the holes and cracks and water stains. And I've made use of those in so many builds that I've lost count. Having those items that can make builds less than squeaky clean has boosted building by I don't know how much.

It's all in how you look at it. I can make some good fun out of any pack, regardless of how much the gameplay may or may not interest me. I'm not much into CAS, but I know others are really into that and making Sims, and every pack comes with new outfits. You can get really creative in crafting Sims around those outfits too. And those outfit designs/colors could even inspire the homes they end up living in.

I feel like every pack really does have something for everyone. People take the marketing for them at face value though. GT isn't about nightclubs. It's about making clubs for friends, for skilling, for giving yourself free maids or cooks, clubs for kids, clubs for new pack activities like bowling. GTW isn't just about the three careers in it. You can play with the aliens if you want. You can use the deco items to outfit diners from Dine Out.

You can even use the silly costumes from Spooky stuff to make themed diners or stores. It's pretty interesting what you can do when you combine stuff.

It sounds like you're a builder. Most of your gameplay is focused on building. I love building in the sims 4 too. I prefer build mode in sims 4 more than any other sims. It's one of the things I love about it.

I just wish there were better interactions with objects and other sims and I also wish there was more connection between households and the surrounding world. For example, sims can make flower arrangements without gathering any flowers....I hate how sims 4 just makes things appear out of nowhere. Sims used to actually open a drawer to change clothes, there was object interaction, now they walk up to a dresser and twirl in the air without interacting with the object at all. I could write a book about how much this happens in sims 4. It creates a disconnect for me and it disappoints me, but I understand other people might not care about these small details.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    I really wish I could get excited with the recent updates beyond Seasons things like active careers exploring and goals don't interest me whatsoever the restaurant pack was a great idea until you see its endless limitations townies must be the staff you cant play as a chef hostess or waiter... why limit us? I guess I'm just looking for more everyday normal things to make the game and the Sims feel more realistic be it cars, slow dancing, romance or Sims making their bed or not and basic animations like cuddling in bed opening cabinets dishwashers and doors. I need my Sims to truly interact with other Sims and the world itself not all having telekinesis and teleporting abilities or in a world of their own unless their talking.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    KolikokolitkaKolikokolitka Posts: 178 Member
    I don't explore that much I would like to. I just make babies, lol. I love crating big families and I actually had to use external heritage site to make a family tree that will work properly.

You can see it here. I already have 130 sims in the family :smiley:
    EA ID: Simkiim (you can find all my Maxis-only builds on Gallery)
    My build previews on this site HERE.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member

You are correct the features that may have existed in Sims 2 and 3 were ommitted for various reasons as performance is one. You are correct Sims 4 for me equates to getting on roller coaster and getting taken for an ride. Most simmers experience playing Sims 4 differently and it can be good and it can be bad depending on what is your flavor and what you want to get out of it. For me Sims 4 is below average as it missing essential features that would definitely increase the flavor for me. However Sims 4 is what it is and what it will be as I only rule a lil bit and not an whole lot. Sims 4 cannmot and will not scale up or down to what I utilize and in some aspects it is better to get an low end system and not an high end for that system will not perform as expect with the exception of graphics but for me it is where scaling benefits. With some mid level and high end systems if SIms 4 scaled up I could play Sims 4 in it's full glory. Sims 4 is not all bad but at the same time for me it misses its full potential especially during these days and times.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen