Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Deleted the Imaginary Friend

Comments

• ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    suzses wrote: »

Aw, how could you! The poor thing.

I know! I feel bad about it even now, years later. LOL

I don't feel sorry for it at all ! :D

You were able to bury IF's in the dirt once to get rid of them, I believe, but sadly that was fixed in a patch.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,426 Member
    Pary wrote: »

You were able to bury IF's in the dirt once to get rid of them, I believe, but sadly that was fixed in a patch.

Darn I wish that was still possible. >:)
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    My understanding is if you get the IF and delete BEFORE it's activated at all (starts to develop a life), it's OK to do then. So when it comes out of the mailbox and goes wherever it goes then - LOL - to the crib in the baby's inventory? - you can delete it. But, if the child has started to play with it already, it is then a "sim," and you will corrupt your game if you delete it like you would if you delete any sim.

I find IF's kind of creepy and annoying, so over time, I've tried all sorts of things to rid my games of them. Most of them don't really work all that well or all the time. At one point, any household I had where they were going to have kids, I'd get the no bills lifetime reward first and just never pick up the mail again until the kids turned to teens. If they moved, though, the IF's always managed to get out of that mailbox and go along.

In my case, moving them to an adult's inventory only works part of the time. They find a way back out of there periodically. I suspect Overwatch and/or Error Trap might be complicit in causing that to happen, but I'm not sure.

Here's a picture that will melt the heart of even a die-hard IF-ist like me. I can't exactly remember what this IF's situation was (he wasn't still in the mailbox so must have been locked up somewhere else), but when the family moved, this is what I found one day outside the gate to their old property:

30779499137_6bd66355dd_b.jpgAbandonedIF

(Actually, I found him out there at night. I just brightened up the picture so you can actually see things.)

I am so glad that I deleted the house when I left him behind. if I had seen this, I would have given in and taken him back. The poor little guy. Makes me feel bad that I want to get rid of them. Might just change my mind after seeing this. But not until Billy marries and if they have a baby and along comes a IF I might just keep it. LOL
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member

Haha. Oh, how I wish I hadn't missed out on that activity. I think I would have enjoyed it . . . just as long as I didn't see a picture of some buried sad looking IF somewhere.

Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    @Evalen That is the only abandoned IF I have ever encountered. As I said, I really don't like them, but he did get to me.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    edited November 2018

@Pary - As you referenced:
    As of patch 1.24, Imaginary Friends can no longer be permanently buried in a sandbox and will eventually return if this is attempted. If Ambitions is installed, it is also not possible to detonate the Imaginary Friend doll.

DAM IT!!! :( No fun at all. :(
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    As long as you can keep the toddler from playing with it too much, it won't age up and will stay a toy. I place it somewhere and the kid doesn't seem particularly eager to pick it up to play with it. I think it's kind of cute as long as it stays a ragdoll! :)
    NymlADp.jpg
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    edited November 2018

As of patch 1.24, Imaginary Friends can no longer be permanently buried in a sandbox and will eventually return if this is attempted. If Ambitions is installed, it is also not possible to detonate the Imaginary Friend doll.

I didn't know about these things until it was too late ! I would have LOVED the have detonated that horrid thing! :D

Haha. Oh, how I wish I hadn't missed out on that activity. I think I would have enjoyed it . . . just as long as I didn't see a picture of some buried sad looking IF somewhere.

I'm usually like that too :) I feel sorry for things when I see a sad piccy, but I just can't with those dolls. They just make my skin crawl.

Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,921 Member
    And I just spent a few hours last night making a video of someone turning their IF real. The IF looked on throughout the process of discovering all 10 potions. Was really looking for the Young Again potion - that was needed urgently but the IF potion was discovered along the way so why not give it to the IF to drink? It was all good in the end.

Percy-And-Bobo005.jpg
    edited November 2018

I didn't know about these things until it was too late ! I would have LOVED the have detonated that horrid thing! :D

@Pary, You and I are seriously twisted. :highfive: :D:mrgreen: Right on! :D

@Karritz, now I'm curious. What happens if a regular sim drinks the IF potion? Probably nothing, but I guess EA missed making another great opportunity to give a regular sim the nausea moodlet.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    edited November 2018

@Karritz, now I'm curious. What happens if a regular sim drinks the IF potion? Probably nothing, but I guess EA missed making another great opportunity to give a regular sim the nausea moodlet.

It isn't easy to get the imaginary friend to drink it. I suspect it'd be impossible for any other type of sim to drink it. I think they can get nauseous from sufficiently numerous items. I like to give mine the strong stomach reward to prevent nausea.

edited November 2018
    Karritz wrote: »

It isn't easy to get the imaginary friend to drink it. I suspect it'd be impossible for any other type of sim to drink it. I think they can get nauseous from sufficiently numerous items. I like to give mine the strong stomach reward to prevent nausea.

@Karritz, I guess I cheat: the second that the IF goes from "doll" to "IF" I hit MC>Advanced>Add Sim>Homeworld to add him/her to the family. Then, of course, he's controllable. :D I like my IFs well-behaved, sort of curbs the desire to "lightning strike" them.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I have let toddlers / kids play with and bond to their Imaginary Friends a few times, just to see how it went, but I'll admit that I find them more creepy than charming. I also think my Sims' offspring have brighter romantic prospects than falling back on an IF made real.

I do have one couple that I have not played in a while or had kids with, where the creepy doll would actually fit the family - a Brooding, Loner Witch and his deceased Fairy Ghost boyfriend. I can see any child of theirs having an ...involved interior life. Come to think, I may now have a plan for who to play in Midnight Hollow, so, thanks for the notion!

It's also useful to know that Imaginary Friends can be safely deleted, if prevented from being used enough to animate. In general, I prefer to give my kidlets a teddy bear (I like the supernaturally-themed ones), instead, but the mailman is capricious.
  • nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    Sindocat wrote: »
    I have let toddlers / kids play with and bond to their Imaginary Friends a few times, just to see how it went, but I'll admit that I find them more creepy than charming. I also think my Sims' offspring have brighter romantic prospects than falling back on an IF made real.

I do have one couple that I have not played in a while or had kids with, where the creepy doll would actually fit the family - a Brooding, Loner Witch and his deceased Fairy Ghost boyfriend. I can see any child of theirs having an ...involved interior life. Come to think, I may now have a plan for who to play in Midnight Hollow, so, thanks for the notion!

It's also useful to know that Imaginary Friends can be safely deleted, if prevented from being used enough to animate. In general, I prefer to give my kidlets a teddy bear (I like the supernaturally-themed ones), instead, but the mailman is capricious.

Do the teddy bears "do" anything?

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Sindocat wrote: »

Adults can talk to toddlers 'through' them.

@Nikkei_Simmer I think normal sim won't get the option to drink it? Like they can't drink the vampire cure.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member

If the teddy bear is in their inventory when they are awake when they sleep it gets propped in the crib, but still counts as in their inventory. In the morning the baby/toddler/childish adukt will have positive moodlet of +20 for 5 hours.
  • KevinL5275KevinL5275 Posts: 2,489 Member
    I get the message that "Ragdoll" wants to come out and play. But what if you don't put the doll on the ground, and just leave it in the kid's inventory? Does it come out and play on its own? I've never seen it do that on its own. I have always had to move it to the floor myself, first.
    I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
  • nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    KevinL5275 wrote: »
    I get the message that "Ragdoll" wants to come out and play. But what if you don't put the doll on the ground, and just leave it in the kid's inventory? Does it come out and play on its own? I've never seen it do that on its own. I have always had to move it to the floor myself, first.

I've always had to move the doll out of inventory.

Interesting. The ones that survive in my game are out all the time, and I would NEVER get them out if it were up to me.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    They grant a nice moodlet, if in a Toddler or Child Sim's inventory when they sleep, and (this may be specific to Generations but AFAIK so are IF dolls) Child Sims have an interaction with their bears to "Have a Tea-Party" where they change into their formalwear and share a juice box with the bear.

So, not a lot, really, but it's enough for me, and it's not the creepshow that the IF sneaking up unseen on adult Sims is (for me, anyway).

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited November 2018
    @Karritz, now I'm curious. What happens if a regular sim drinks the IF potion?
    Have to admit, I can't tell whether I am more disappointed in all of you or in EA for not thinking of this (or at least not mentioning it yet). How could it have been overlooked? If a human sim drinks the IF potion, they should have turned into an Imaginary Friend doll.

"Honey, stop crying! There's a reason we had four kids when we really only wanted three, we knew one of them was bound to try something like this..." :p
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • becks1112becks1112 Posts: 919 Member
    I can't stand the imaginary friends. I always delete them using testingcheats. I need to figure out how get rid of them with NRaas.
    becks1112 wrote: »
    I can't stand the imaginary friends. I always delete them using testingcheats. I need to figure out how get rid of them with NRaas.

The name of the mod starts with R (I think). Step by step instructions were on the old NRAAS site. No idea about the new one yet though. It is a matter of changing a number to 0. That is the number for the chance of getting an IF. Sorry I can't be more clear. I always have to search for the instructions when I make it 100% of the time so my sims always get one.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited November 2018
    Preventing or changing the chance of the IF doll from ever appearing in the mailbox requires NRaas Retuner or a standalone tuning mod. The Retuner setting to use goes like this:

NRaas > Retuner > General > By Tunable XML > Sims3.Gameplay.ActorSystems > OccultImaginaryFriend > kChanceToGetImaginaryDollsOnChildBirth > 0 (for a 0% chance; the default is 70%)
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    To be truthful I always had my sims marry their IF, the only thing is that they do not get to meet other sims so much or go places as they are always with their IF, but I must they I have had them turn into some very beautiful sims, and they made good wives and mothers
    So I deleting this one this time so that Billy could have a life outside the house more. I feel a little sorry I did it.