Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Custom career and skills

As one of you people who are gonna say something about custom careers as self employed career. Here’s an example

My job is singer, my job description states that I am a singer who sings hip hop, R&B, pop, reggae, soul, and electronica, and my skill will be chosen singing.

What custom career will you type? What is your job description? And what skill do you prefer?

Comments

• stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited November 2018
    I recently had my Sim quit her job as a writer so she can focus on child rearing (she wants one more daughter). I'll likely have her keep writing and painting and call her a Creative Professional. Her eldest son (currently nearing the end of the child stage; I want to max out his Piano and Violin first and get a head start on Singing) will eventually go into music production which isn't an official career so I'll use the self-employed designation for that as well. Some of the wealthier premades might get designated as Consultants or Miscellaneous Professionals (I had a coworker with a friend who had that job title) just to hopefully keep them from being drafted as food stall workers or restaurant waitstaff (though Victor Feng shows up as a food stall vendor in my current save and he's a politician -- a bit immersion-breaking for me).
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • silver_songbirdsilver_songbird Posts: 305 Member
    I'd love to make a dog breeder custom career, as that is my current sims occupation :)
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,552 Member
    edited November 2018
    I'd love to make a dog breeder custom career, as that is my current sims occupation :)

Well, certainly there have been dog-trainers who have gained fame in RL.

You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,552 Member
    I have a family, currently, that needs the fame system. The mom is a known artist, the father a Shipping Magnate, the second son will be a singer (and was quite the Rock Star in my Sims3 version of this family) the third son managed to become a World Renown Surgeon. The only daughter married a Vulcan Prince. Her mother's artwork of her are quite famous.

In my game save, my ancestor became a somebody and was Beloved. Woman and some men, practically swooned at his feet. LOL So, that might prove to be fun to add fame to this save, too. I look forward to this EP like I haven't done is so very long. I have a serious case of PEPS, it's so bad. LOL
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • 12JEREMIA12JEREMIA Posts: 3,143 Member
    I have a family, currently, that needs the fame system. The mom is a known artist, the father a Shipping Magnate, the second son will be a singer (and was quite the Rock Star in my Sims3 version of this family) the third son managed to become a World Renown Surgeon. The only daughter married a Vulcan Prince. Her mother's artwork of her are quite famous.

In my game save, my ancestor became a somebody and was Beloved. Woman and some men, practically swooned at his feet. LOL So, that might prove to be fun to add fame to this save, too. I look forward to this EP like I haven't done is so very long. I have a serious case of PEPS, it's so bad. LOL
    OK, good!
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    Eldigan is a Tourguide with the skill Charisma.
    His income comes from snowglobes and posters that I collect whenever they respwan and pretend it's tip money. In the long run he needs to skill up bartending or an instrument. Anyway, his description will say that he introduces tourists to the historical sights of San Myshuno, revealing all the rarely visited secret gems to them. He's also always up to date on current events and will gladly sell you tickets.

Lori is a Live-in-Nanny with the skill Parenting.

Four others work at an experimental farm, their skills are Gardening and Logic, and their job title will probably be Farm Hand.
    They are currently saving up to buy their lot, but it will take some time.
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    It makes a lot of sense to me to use it for the writing skill and be an author for instance.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • AndreaTheHeroAndreaTheHero Posts: 578 Member
    I'd love to make a celebrity dog trainer or celebrity chef but the possibilities are nearly endless
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    I wish Herbalism could be turned into a career.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • rjhenn14rjhenn14 Posts: 601 Member

With the self-employed you can.... herbalism skill + self-employed career= Herbalist

• QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    I’ll probably just use it for stay at home parents or any vampires I use to age unplayed sims (I play all the households and then age the unplayed sims to match.)
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    edited November 2018
    I love that with the reputation and fame system combined with the custom career/title, you can make Royal sims, like a King, Queen and a royal family.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • silver_songbirdsilver_songbird Posts: 305 Member

Well, certainly there have been dog-trainers who have gained fame in RL.

yeah ^~^ it would add something at least as I love playing with dogs but she doesn't have the time for dogs and to hold an "actual" job. I always used to do the same in the sims 3 with horses, so I've been craving it.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I'm definitely making an athletic sim (eg. Marcus Flex) a professional wrestler!
  • TiarellaTiarella Posts: 661 Member
    I wonder how many vampire hunters will be out there? -eh, @pronterus ? :grin: (His story is here if you'd like to read it -- and his builds are on the gallery.) (Yes, I'm a fan!) :wink:

I'll be using it for retired sims whose retirement didn't show up correctly.

I may make some of my stay-at-home parents Educators, some grandparents (and teens?) Tutors, etc.

I don't like how limited the music career is, so I may customize that; one of my top-level musicians should be a country music star, and there's another that ought to be a jazz singer. They're both making enough that they don't need to go to an office anymore.

You can make preachers and vicars and even the Pope, now, at least in title. (When you get those death notices, you can have your religious leader pay a consolation visit...)

The possibilities are endless!

My current game doesn't have any played aliens, but once it does, I'll make up a nonsense career, like, I dunno, 'Table Chaser.'

Definitely need a 'Reddit Troll.' :lol:
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    Adventurer can now be an actual job title! :D
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    edited November 2018

I have a sim couple that run a little store where they sell their herbalist potions. And now with the upcoming patch I will be able to officially label them as "herbalists".
    This patch is bringing two things that are game changers for me, I can't wait. Just one more day!

I also have a couple of carpenters, and I'll get all my gardeners to quit the pointless gardening career and be self-employed instead.
    All my restaurant and ahop owners can finally cease from showing as unemployed as well.

Then I had a sim quit her writing career because I want her to be a screenwriter, so I will register her as such. It's very fitting with the upcoming pack too and maybe I make her become a famous screenwriter.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I have a lot of self employed sims and they often have live in helpers so this will come in handy to name both types. I'll probably get carried away though with naming them in funny ways though. I've also in the past played a "revolving" servant, cook or mentor ect on my sim with the always welcome trait so it will be fun to name them for the job.
    egTcBMc.png
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    edited November 2018
    Out of all the features coming with the next patch, this is the one I'll probably use the most. It's surely nothing game-changing, but I've always found it annoying that the game considers my veterinarians and shop owners unemployed, and pretty weird as well because those are jobs that came with actual expansion packs, not something a sloppy novice modder cooked up and didn't know how to properly integrate. Now I can change that.

I wonder if you can also choose custom titles if you're already working in one of the premade careers, because I have plans for a doctor who is also a veterinarian and has a science lab at home, and if possible, I'd like the job description to reflect this.
    I have a sim couple that run a little store where they sell their herbalist potions. And now with the upcoming patch I will be able to officially label them as "herbalists".

Sorry for the dumb question, but do those potions actually sell? Because I once tried to do the same, but couldn't put a price tag on the potions.
    Out of all the features coming with the next patch, this is the one I'll probably use the most. It's surely nothing game-changing, but I've always found it annoying that the game considers my veterinarians and shop owners unemployed, and pretty weird as well because those are jobs that came with actual expansion packs, not something a sloppy novice modder cooked up and didn't know how to properly integrate. Now I can change that.

I wonder if you can also choose custom titles if you're already working in one of the premade careers, because I have plans for a doctor who is also a veterinarian and has a science lab at home, and if possible, I'd like the job description to reflect this.

Sorry for the dumb question, but do those potions actually sell? Because I once tried to do the same, but couldn't put a price tag on the potions.

So, I discovered that only the ones that your sim makes sell, the ones that you bring from buydebug don't allow you to put the label on them.
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    Okay! I actually tried it with debug potions first to test if it was even possible, didn't think there could be a difference. Thank you for the information, @AlbaWaterhouse.
    @GrumpyGlowfish no worries, any time!
  • erimurpheyerimurphey Posts: 173 Member
    I'm definitely making Restaurant Manager and Baker official jobs. I've never explored the baking skill and plan to make the next Duff Goldman. The skills for Restaurant Manager will be charisma and possibly cooking. :)
    Sul Sul!

Origin i.d.: erimurphey
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member

As far as I've read, the option to apply for self-employment only works for Sims who are defaulted to being registered as Unemployed.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png