Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

cannot edit pre-existing sims

Okay this is driving me batty. I created a save where some of my main young adult sims from another save are aged up and have kids. I decided I wanted to add their parents from the old save too, so their kids will have grandparents. With three families, I had no issue with merging the sims from the library and editing the familial relationships in cas to parents/grandparents, but for ONE sim the game won't allow me to do the exact same. WHY?

I've already tried testing cheats, cas.fulleditmode, and aged the merging parents to elders so there's enough of an age gap. I even deaged the sim that I'm trying to create a family for to a TODDLER, and still only given the option to make the elder sim his sister or roommate instead of his mother. SERIOUSLY.

Comments

• Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    I believe I've seen this before where when you saved those sims, the save also registered that they already had parents who are no longer existing but at the same time they did at one point and so you can't fill their spots with someone else bc they did technically exist to create the children in the first place.

I remember that one time I created this household where there was this lone grandmother who takes care of her only grandson and their pet cat. I remembered that I couldn't register the grandmother as the teen's grandmother without having made a parent to then have the child that would be the teen grandson. I did this all in CAS; create the grandmother, then create her daughter, then create the grandson from the daughter, then deleted the mother to register that she doesn't exist within the game. I let them play in live mode and that's that.

Sometime later I wanted to have this YA townie from one of my saves become the mother of the grandson, and tried to add her into CAS into their family. I was able to make her the daughter of the grandma, but could only keep her as an aunt of the grandson and couldn't force the game to register her as the teen's own mother bc technically she never was to begin with.

I did just test a workaround that if you saved both of them separated in your library, then go into a brand new CAS and re-add them both into one household, you can then make them their parents again. If that still doesn't work for you, I know there is a mod that can force the game to register them as their parents.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    taydevtaydev Posts: 912 Member
    Thanks for the insight @paradiseplanet

Thing is, the parents I've added to the family are their actual parents in the old save. They were saved separately to the library because they no longer live with the parents. It worked for all families except for one. It's so upsetting because he and his family were one of my absolute favorites and now he can't be related to them in the new save. What gives?

Do you have the link to that mod, because it seems as though it's my only option.

• Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,596 Member
    Hello
    I am sorry that you are having this issue.
    MC Command Center mod can help to set relationships.
    It can be downloaded at
    https://deaderpoolmc.tumblr.com

There is information about the mod in this link
    https://deaderpoolmc.tumblr.com/doc/overview
    There is further information about the modules by clicking on the yellow titles on the site page.
    This link thread provides help for the MC Command Center Mod. If you decide to use it and you have questions about the settings, you can post about it there, and there are helpful simmers there that will help you.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/913483/mc-command-center-local-help-chat-thread
  • Options
    Thanks @rosemow I have mccc but can it actually make sims related or are you referring to the friend and romantic relationships cheat? I haven’t found where mccc can force a sim to be a parent or child of another, which is my issue.
  • Options
    Jenna2376Jenna2376 Posts: 120 Member
    I had this same problem when I wanted to make grandparents for my kids. You can do it in MCCC, but I don't have that and it messed with too many other things in my game to keep. I found a post on the forums by Nastiia, I'll copy it into this one. It's time consuming and you have to do it with EACH sim, but it worked for me.
    Nastiia wrote: »
    Ok this is an old post, and I still have not find a solution to this by someone else (I know the solution) which amazes me, and the CAS full edit mode DOES NOT work on this. (rarely it does with some relationships) I will post this guide to edit family relationships to an already created family, just in case someone would search it in the future:

1. Open the cheat console ctrl + shift + c and type: "testingcheats true"
    2. Now type: "sims.get_sim_id_by_name yoursimfirstname yoursimlastname" (The desired sim must be selected)
    -It will pop up a large number. This is very important. This number is your Sim ID
    3. Type again the same thing in step 2 but now with your desired target sim name.
    -I mean, if you want to change your (example) son and mom relationship, you need to type the text from step 2 from both of them
    You should now have 2 large numbers in the console. (SimID)

---MAKE SURE TESTINGCHEATS IS ENABLED, AGAIN! OTHERWISE THE NEXT STEPS WON'T WORK---
    -In step 4 you will write your desired relationshipBit. (Obviously I mean, don't write the word "relationshipbit") you need to overwrite the word with These relationshipBits:
    *family_husband_wife
    *family_son_daughter
    *family_parent
    *family_grandparent
    *family_grandchild
    4. In the console, type: "relationship.add_bit yoursimID targetsimID relationshipbit"
    -YoursimID is the large number you got from your selected sims. You need to write the whole numbers.
    -relationshipbit DOESN'T NEED TO BE WRITTEN, it needs to be one of the 5 commands I wrote in step 4.

If it doesn't work, it's because for some reason, Testingcheats disabled automatically (It happenned to me several times) Write it again and make sure its enabled again, and repeat the step 4.
    Hope this helps."
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,596 Member
    taydev wrote: »
    Thanks @rosemow I have mccc but can it actually make sims related or are you referring to the friend and romantic relationships cheat? I haven’t found where mccc can force a sim to be a parent or child of another, which is my issue.

Hello
    You can change the relationships in MCCC to make sims related, not just to alter the friendship and romance bar.
    If you post on the help thread that I posted the link to, simmers there will give further directions where the settings are in MCCC mod.
  • Options
    Wow that is time consuming. Anyone know of a quicker way with mccc? I can’t find it. Thanks @Jenna2376 I’ll save the instructions and use them in case it can’t be done easier via mccc.
  • Options
    Right? I think it took me like 10 minutes to make my adult sims related to the elder sims I plopped into the game. I just wanted my babies to have grandparents! haha. I tied to do it with MCCC, for some reason I just couldn't.
  • Options
    It looks like you can use the console commands in MCCC. Rel_set looks like it does the trick. Here's the website that shows you how to do it:

https://deaderpoolmc.tumblr.com/doc/mccommandcenter
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Jenna2376 wrote: »
    I just wanted my babies to have grandparents! haha.
    Seriously, it shouldn't be such a hassle! lol. And I'd probably dismiss it if my main sim didn't have parents, but he does and I just want an older version of all of them in another save. And as I said before, I did it easily with the other households, so it's weird that the game decided not to for one sim :/

Thanks so much for everyone's help. I'll give it a try now.

@Jenna2376 really adorable sim in your picture, by the way :)

• Options
    ravynwolvfravynwolvf Posts: 1,073 Member
    edited January 2018
    One thing you can try if you can put them all into the same family, is to go into edit and save the family. If you use the create a household, to move into a home tool, select them from your library, you SHOULD be able to edit THAT version on the way to moving them in, then delete the old family (drastic, and it would delete certain things, but not skills and job progress).

Sometimes the game won't let you change it because of ages, but I'm guessing you know that.
    Post edited by ravynwolvf on
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    ravynwolvf wrote: »
    One thing you can try if you can put them all into the same family, is to go into edit and save the family. If you use the create a household, to move into a home tool, select them from your library, you SHOULD be able to edit THAT version on the way to moving them in, then delete the old family (drastic, and it would delete certain things, but not skills and job progress).

Sometimes the game won't let you change it because of ages, but I'm guessing you know that.

I thought of doing that but feared it would sever his relationship with his three kids, which he has between two female sims. Not to mention he has three sisters, so there wouldn't be enough room to merge the households and fix them all.

So I tried MCCC rel_set, and it worked for the most part, but there's still a problem: his mother as a grandmother to his kids. I was able to set them all as family, and his father now shows as is his kids grandfather, and his sisters are now his kids aunts. But his mom doesn't show up as the grandma of his kids, they're merely acquaintances. Why is it always an issue with ONE sim. This is so frustrating. Why does it have to be so difficult?

• Options
    Kilov17Kilov17 Posts: 1,795 Member
    When you use that cheat cas.fulleditmode, type it in BEFORE going into Edit Household, cause you'll have to then exit and return :lol:
    Learned THAT the hard way!
    Also, that Shift and Ctrl have to be hold first BEFORE hitting the button C, cause if you press them all at the same time it just takes a screen shot, the cheat box doesn't open :lol:
    Kilov17 (Gallery ID: SimOppresser)
    JrTlDGw.jpg
  • Options
    I know the cheats and have done all of that.
  • Options
    ravynwolvfravynwolvf Posts: 1,073 Member
    edited January 2018
    taydev wrote: »
    ravynwolvf wrote: »

I thought of doing that but feared it would sever his relationship with his three kids, which he has between two female sims. Not to mention he has three sisters, so there wouldn't be enough room to merge the households and fix them all.

So I tried MCCC rel_set, and it worked for the most part, but there's still a problem: his mother as a grandmother to his kids. I was able to set them all as family, and his father now shows as is his kids grandfather, and his sisters are now his kids aunts. But his mom doesn't show up as the grandma of his kids, they're merely acquaintances. Why is it always an issue with ONE sim. This is so frustrating. Why does it have to be so difficult?

Is the stubborn grandmother living in the house? Because you could save the game, move her out into a family by herself, go in to edit her, save her as a family, delete her, then use the save to create a new version of her, put the new one back in the family, and see if it will let you change HER status as a family member. It may not work, but if she's bugged in some way, maybe it will clear it? In any case, if it doesn't work, just go back to your save.
  • Options
    melissalungumelissalungu Posts: 655 Member
    I am having a serious issue with this. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to edit the relationships to give my sim 'Mel' her parents back. It says "cannot edit pre-existing sim" and I cannot give her a parent. She has a husband, 3 children and 3 cats. I can edit her husband to give him a parent, but not her. She is the only sim I am having trouble with.

I had to move all my sims over from my MacBook Pro to my main PC, (as we needed the space on the macbook) but it was a massive family with lots of generations. So I moved them all over individually (by saving the households to my library and uploading them to the gallery as a back up), and wanted to make them related again about by using the merge households and the cas.fulleditmode cheat. I moved over her two adult children and their own families, but cannot make them her children in the new game. Nor can I give her her parents back, or her sister. It's so frustrating. What is it about? I had MCCC but removed all the mods as I wondered if that was causing the issue. Strangely, I can give her husband a parent (and they were created at the exact same time, her and her husband) so why can she not have one? Why is she registering as the only pre-existing sim who cannot be edited? Is there another workaround? I can't think of any other way to do this. I couldn't find an option to help in MCCC either...
    If you have spare points as you own the store, why not spend them on me? Haha!!! My wishlist

My thank you thread

My profile

My Top 5 store items :smile:
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I am having a serious issue with this. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to edit the relationships to give my sim 'Mel' her parents back. It says "cannot edit pre-existing sim" and I cannot give her a parent. She has a husband, 3 children and 3 cats. I can edit her husband to give him a parent, but not her. She is the only sim I am having trouble with.

I had to move all my sims over from my MacBook Pro to my main PC, (as we needed the space on the macbook) but it was a massive family with lots of generations. So I moved them all over individually (by saving the households to my library and uploading them to the gallery as a back up), and wanted to make them related again about by using the merge households and the cas.fulleditmode cheat. I moved over her two adult children and their own families, but cannot make them her children in the new game. Nor can I give her her parents back, or her sister. It's so frustrating. What is it about? I had MCCC but removed all the mods as I wondered if that was causing the issue. Strangely, I can give her husband a parent (and they were created at the exact same time, her and her husband) so why can she not have one? Why is she registering as the only pre-existing sim who cannot be edited? Is there another workaround? I can't think of any other way to do this. I couldn't find an option to help in MCCC either...

I'll have to test this out later today; I know the Relationships section has the feature but not sure how it works with creating parents for existing Sims. I've used it once to make a Sim a brother to a couple of Sims; he was technically their step-brother but when I moved the teens in with him I was worried that he'd autonomously Woohoo with his stepsister and that kind of icked me out. :o
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    melissalungumelissalungu Posts: 655 Member
    I worked it out, finally!! I readded all the mods, and found the 'relationships' option at the bottom in MCCC...all sorted, finally. All 5 generations are completely back to normal! Wahey!!!
    If you have spare points as you own the store, why not spend them on me? Haha!!! My wishlist

My thank you thread

My profile

My Top 5 store items :smile:
  • Options
    AlwaysAskingAlwaysAsking Posts: 1,403 Member
    @melissalungu
    I worked it out, finally!! I readded all the mods, and found the 'relationships' option at the bottom in MCCC...all sorted, finally. All 5 generations are completely back to normal! Wahey!!!

Oh my God!

I’ve had this same thing happen in several households, but only after the patch that came out before Seasons. Before that I’d had no problems.

I can’t even tell you how frustrating it is to have it work perfectly with one person in a family, but not the other! Well, actually, you do know how frustrating it is, lol

So, in the end, only MCCC worked after you tried everything else? I’ve used it once to fix an alien pregnancy I didn’t want to deal with, but removed it right away after I did that. I hate having mods in my game. But I’ll put it back in again in order to fix these relationships, and then remove it again if that’s the only thing that worked for you.

SqxdF0m.png

Gallery ID is ARIANNANEAL