Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 Happy Holidays Gift Exchange ~ CLOSED

Comments

• cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    Ditto what @suzses said, @Kgaff. I love your builds and would really enjoy it if you could participate.

@BreeMiles - welcome to the party!

Traditions this time of year... what comes to mind is Thanksgiving; getting together with friends and family, sharing recipes, baking, eating, and just being thankful - thankful to have all the love ones we have and to have known those that are no longer walking with us.
  • ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 6,755 Member
    ciane wrote: »
    Traditions this time of year... what comes to mind is Thanksgiving; getting together with friends and family, sharing recipes, baking, eating, and just being thankful - thankful to have all the love ones we have and to have known those that are no longer walking with us.

Nicely worded. Thank you for sharing. :)
  • cmbaker16cmbaker16 Posts: 9,172 Member
    I'm with ciane thanksgiving is the one tradition that comes to mind and she worded it so nicely :D the only other one I can think of is the classic Christmas cartoons, at least in my family, we always gather together and watch the classic claymation cartoons together and we can't forget charlie brown! but I think it might be a bit too early for them to be on t.v. now probably see them on later in the month :D
    cmbaker16 wrote: »
    I'm with ciane thanksgiving is the one tradition that comes to mind and she worded it so nicely :D the only other one I can think of is the classic Christmas cartoons, at least in my family, we always gather together and watch the classic claymation cartoons together and we can't forget charlie brown! but I think it might be a bit too early for them to be on t.v. now probably see them on later in the month :D

Those are enjoyable to watch. Rudolf, Frosty are a few I can think of at the moment ... and of course, Charlie Brown! I agree, I think it's too early to see them on t.v. so will have to start paying attention to when they'll be available. Thanks for sharing :)
  • Mystik1978Mystik1978 Posts: 1,613 Member
    edited November 2018
    Closing Time is Coming Near ....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcROTHxm99vphbZ-M3KtDZK9o7Y9UenisOYA0uiRiP5LI41zmmQt
  • KesminlixKesminlix Posts: 252 Member
    edited November 2018
    Ooooh! Another gift exchange! I did one last year and it was a bit challenging (as I still am not confident in my building skills) but so much fun! I think I'll sign up for this one B)

Username: Kesminlix

Link to your Sims 3 My Page: My Sims 3 Page

I have installed the following Expansion Packs: All of them!

I have installed the following Stuff Packs: All but Katy Perry Sweet Treats (I don't own it)

I own the following Store Content: I pretty much own the whole store. Feel free to use any kind of store content! If I don't have it for some reason, I can easily buy it :wink:

I own the following EA-made Worlds: All of them!

Some of my favorite colors are: Blue is my favorite color! I also love red, green, purple and any neutral colors are good.

I really don’t like this color: Not a fan of neon colors. Yellow is okay in moderation and/or if it's pastel or works well in the color scheme (i.e. navy blue and yellow is perfect! :wink: )

I love to use items from this set: Bohemian Garden, Grandpa's Grove, Farm fresh

I prefer to play in this EA-made World: Appaloosa Plains and Aurora Skies. I've also played a little bit in Hidden Springs and Riverview.

I enjoy playing in this custom world (please include link): Great Bear and Salmon Woods

I enjoy this style of build the most: I love log cabins, farmhouses, and traditional family homes. Tudor and Victorian are okay too!

I really don’t want this in my game: I do NOT like modern homes or modern decor! I am a traditional, southern/rustic/farmhouse kind of girl!

I would or would not like lots in the following sizes: I do not like small homes. I prefer to play with families so space is necessary! 30x30 or larger please!

I want/don’t want berry sims: I do not want berry sims.

I want/don’t want occult sims: No occult sims please!

I want/don’t want pets in the household: Pets are great! Cats, dogs, and horses are all good (but you don't have to do all three :wink: )

Do you want your sims and/or pets skilled up for you? If so, how much? If the sims could be leveled up a couple of points (like 2-3) that'd be great. Pets don't need to be leveled.

Are there certain skills you want skilled because you really like having them ready when you start with a new sim or household? Cooking (Although I usually use the natural cook trait because I don't like my sims burning down the house! :flushed: ), handiness, gardening, writing, and painting are all good, but not all are necessary. Feel free to level them up based on their traits/LTW!

Are there particular skill items that you really like having in a build? A computer and a multi-tab (Store Item). If given a gardening skill, a garden would be nice!

Other: A couple of home features that I love are wrap-around porches (though a front porch and a back deck are fine too) and screened-in porches/sunrooms. Again, you don't need to use these in your builds! I am certain I will love anything you make me!

I would love for this to be a holiday themed build! Even though it's the beginning of November, I am in the full-blown Christmas mood! It's probably from working retail where the trees have been up since September, but still! :lol: As for the particular holiday, I would prefer Christmas... erm, Snowflake Day :wink: but Thanksgiving or general late Fall/Winter is fine as well.

This text is to certify that I have read ALL the posts and will follow the rules for participation as well as pay attention to important dates.
    Another letter, hooray!
  • lowpolygallowpolygal Posts: 422 Member
    Last time I posted here was already very late for me, so I just got my game folder ready and today I decided to test a sim and a build I've had for a long time just laying around getting dust in my bin, I noticed a store item was missing from the build so I didn't try to upload it until I check why was missing but I tried the sim and...
    Success!! I was able to upload him without a hitch! *does happy dance* If someone is curious you can find him here
    Now I'm going to finish my buddy letter! :smile:
    ADWilson wrote: »
    Glad you saw this in time to participate @Ziristha :)
    **fingers crossed** that you're able to upload something and can add your Buddy Letter soon!

If the others are like me, they've also said "we're not a good builder" at some point. It takes time, practice/effort and the willingness to try something new-to-you in order to grow as a builder. Building for others is a great motivator for finishing a build project (I speak from personal experience!).

Looking forward to seeing what you can do as you experiment, learn and grow as a builder. Generic build questions can be asked in the thread but if it's specifically related to the Buddy gift, then send a PM to me.
    @ADWilson Thanks to you! for running this fun and lovely gift exchange! I'm very happy I'll be able to participate this time around! :blush:

My major problem with building it's the fact that I'm not used to it at all and when I try to build I get confused with dimensios/space and the tons of items available in every section, just a couple of days ago I discovered this item it's a toiled paper dispenser :scream: . I've been playing this game since the end of 2011 and to this day I've only built around 10 lots that I can call decent enough not to be an eyesore :joy: .
    Oh and I agree, practice makes perfect!
    If I find myself stuck in some way, I'll take your kind offer and ask you for advice :)

Now I gotta go finish my buddy letter!
    zDZ4NFB.png
    I have a Simblr
    I got sidetracked! Here's my buddy letter :smile:

Username: Ziristha

Link to your Sims 3 My Page:
    https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/NyanCherie (I have a different nickname there, sorry about that!)

I have installed the following Expansion Packs: All of them.

I have installed the following Stuff Packs: All except Katy Perry Sweet Treats.

I own the following Store Content: I own most of it and I’m working on some sets, so I’m just going to put here what I don’t own:
    I own the following EA-made Worlds: All except Lunar Lakes

Some of my favorite colors are: Gray, blue, pink and many others! lol

I really don’t like this color: The colors I like the less are orange and green (like the green or irish green from cas in favorites) but! even if I like them less I've had used those colors, specially with born in game sims that have those as favorites (I even have an orange blouse in real life lol) so, I actually don't mind any color :)

I love to use items from this set: Stones Throw Greenhouse, Le Cirque Celebration!, Oh My Goth! Compilation and The Coffee Bean Hipster Loft

I prefer to play in this EA-made World: I always end up playing in Sunset Valley, Riverview, but I would like to go and play any of the other worlds, I mean, I bought them for a reason, I should enjoy them too!

I enjoy playing in this custom world (please include link): My two favorites are Eltham’s Drift by neurobotic (pictures here) and Cloverdale by mysimreality.

I enjoy this style of build the most: Craftsman, traditional, victorian, contemporary, cabins etc. Also, I love fantasy-like, sci-fi or steampunk builds.

I really don’t want this in my game: About builds, I’m fine with whatever my buddy decides to make, I’m not picky. For sims I guess the only thing I would mind are big eyes, I prefer the eye scale slider more towards the left than the right, but if the sim is some type of creature that’s supposed to have big eyes like an alien or a doll, then big eyes are fine ;)

I would or would not like lots in the following sizes: I really like small and tiny lots from 10x10 to 25x25 since they’re easier to put in any world and expand as needed. I’m fine with anything bigger than that, up to 50x50. I’m fine with something bigger if it’s like a park or ranch for horses… or a big victorian manor! *drools*

I want/don’t want berry sims: I never play with berry sims but I'm interested in them, so they're fine (I like the soft rainbow skintone ;) )

I want/don’t want occult sims: You kiddin’?! I LOVE occults! my favorite EP is Supernatural! So if my buddy feels like it, any occult sim is more than welcome! from simplants to aliens or mermaids to genies! (recently I’ve been playing mummies lol)

I want/don’t want pets in the household: I never play with pets because I’m not good at making them nor managing them, but I would like to have them!

Do you want your sims and/or pets skilled up for you? If so, how much?: Unskilled sims are fine, but if my buddy would like to level them up because it fits their backstory or LTW that’s ok :)

Are there certain skills you want skilled because you really like having them ready when you start with a new sim or household?: Not really, but again, if it fits their personality/backstory/LTW... anything my buddy decides would be fine :)

Are there particular skill items that you really like having in a build?: In homes, and if it goes well with the build and sims, I like having chessboards and space for gardens. If it’s a community building like an art gallery then stuff like easels or the street bag art, just stuff that fits :)

Other: I’m really not picky, I like all types of buildings, I know that I’ll love whatever my buddy makes for me, so I’m going to include this in case they’re lost or need inspiration/ideas. So to my buddy, feel free to ignore this part unless you need it ;)
    - I have a legacy family I’ve been meaning to move to Barnacle Bay, so anything for that world would be amazing like a dive bar, live show venue, arcade or a bowling alley, etc. any type of place to hangout, it could also be a makeover from any of the lots, like the art gallery or the library. It could be even a family to make friends with mine, like a couple of mermaids so their children could marry my next gen ;).
    - I’ve also been into building Arkham by martine, so anything industrial, grungy or shady looking would be great (though the lots are very small and odd). Same with sims or families for that world.
    - I love playing generational style, so I always start saves with one sim, find them a partner and then start a family. I would love to play for once with a family already made or just a dysfunctional bunch of misfits with clashing personalities… or even a homeless sim!
    - I always wanted to play the Asylum challenge, so any sim that would go well with it or even the asylum itself would be amazing :)
    - My buddy is more than welcome to go crazy with whatever they decide to make, I love reading sims backstories and that’s always something that motivates me to play! That’s why I love playing premades too, even the ones most would consider ugly looking :lol:

This text is to certify that I have read ALL the posts and will follow the rules for participation as well as pay attention to important dates.

~

Ok, I think I got my buddy letter right, hopefully I didn't mess it up (I'm a little worried about the store content part :confounded: ) because it's really, really late where I live and I'm about to fell asleep :lol: I just wanted to post this because I don't want to risk missing my opportunity! :blush:
    zDZ4NFB.png
    I have a Simblr
    Nice to see another letter!
    Ziristha wrote: »
    Last time I posted here was already very late for me, so I just got my game folder ready and today I decided to test a sim and a build I've had for a long time just laying around getting dust in my bin, I noticed a store item was missing from the build so I didn't try to upload it until I check why was missing but I tried the sim and...
    Success!! I was able to upload him without a hitch! *does happy dance* If someone is curious you can find him here

Peeked in your studio before noticing this bit. Nice looking sims! Mai Glob made me laugh. :)
    It's always a good feeling when things upload without any issues. Good catch on noticing something was missing from your build! Hopefully it's an easy one to figure out.
    @ADWilson Thanks to you! for running this fun and lovely gift exchange! I'm very happy I'll be able to participate this time around! :blush:

My pleasure. Glad you saw the thread in time and are able to participate!
    My major problem with building it's the fact that I'm not used to it at all and when I try to build I get confused with dimensios/space and the tons of items available in every section, just a couple of days ago I discovered this item it's a toiled paper dispenser :scream: . I've been playing this game since the end of 2011 and to this day I've only built around 10 lots that I can call decent enough not to be an eyesore :joy: .
    Oh and I agree, practice makes perfect!
    If I find myself stuck in some way, I'll take your kind offer and ask you for advice :)

Now I gotta go finish my buddy letter!

I can understand your confusion. Have you tried using a blueprint from a site like eplans? They're very helpful when trying to learn a new architectural style and building things that don't look like boxes (mine used to look like big boxes!). I draw the plan on graph paper using the dimension "rule" of 2 feet = 1 sim square. If a room is 10 ft by 12 ft then that would be 5 squares by 6 squares in-game.

I'm very aware of what you mentioned regarding tons of items in each section because ... I spend countless hours sifting through decor items. I go through that section and place the items I might need or want on my lot (usually the backyard) ~ then place items in the room they're intended for ~ decide whether to keep in room, move to another room or remove from build. Often I think of something that I hadn't added or removed and then have to hunt it down. lol

Furniture is a little easier because usually there is a theme when decorating based on the architectural style and what the purpose of the build is for. My big thing is to try to not use the same furnishings over and over. I have certain pieces I'm drawn to, but they don't fit all designs.

Hopefully this information is helpful. I know I have a tendency to type too much.
    Welcome to the fun @Kesminlix and @Ziristha! I'm sure both of you will have a great time and present make something awesome!
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    Yay, more buddy letters! @Kesminlix glad you can join in again! and @Ziristha buddy letter looks good - you have a much better handle on what Store stuff you have and don't have than I ever have.

And, yeah, that decor section is HUGE and hard to find what you want in it. Similarly to @ADWilson , I'll go ahead and buy things I think would work in a build and place them in the yard when I pass them looking for something else. Otherwise, I'm going "I know I just saw that! Where is it!." And the online floor plans for builds are really a big help, too.
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Mystik1978Mystik1978 Posts: 1,613 Member
    Yeah more letters! Love seeing more people joining in on the fun! *cheers*

I see a lot of talk about building and decor and I wanted to let you all know as well; you are not alone at all. When I tried to design a house I found the "decor" part to be the hardest. What color? What things where? Theme or not theme? Ect.

In my travels to answer some of these questions I came across a fun blog at Game Yum that help with a few tips and tricks when deciding how to style your house.

If you are interested in checking out some of their tips and tricks go here .... https://gameyum.com/sims-3/91025-how-to-decorate-with-objects-in-the-sims-3/
  • MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member
    @cmbaker16 : Nice to see you again! Looking forward to your builds!

@suzses: W00t! Your builds are so nice, can't wait to see what you make!

@Kesminlix : I think we were in the last exchange together, because your name is familiar to me. I don't specifically remember your builds, but my advice is this: Keep building. The more you build, and the more you study other peoples' builds, the better you'll get. Like Addy, my builds used to be boxes with roofs. (You should see the house I invariably used to use when playing Sims 2. It was one I built, and it's just awful looking.) But if you look at architectural sites - or realty sites - you'll get some good ideas, and then practicing will give you a better idea of what actually works in the game. So even if you don't feel confident in your building, as long as you keep trying, you'll get better and better. :)

And I had to smile after reading the last paragraph of your buddy letter. Right now I'm building a Christmas Victorian. I wasn't going to upload it, but I might share it with you, since you may enjoy it as well. That's if I ever get around to finishing it. It's pretty huge, and I'm starting to feel overwhelmed, and when that happens to me when working on a project, often I never finish it.

@Mystik1978 : Aw, I'm so sad about what's going on with you. I know only a tiny bit about it, and I feel just awful. I hope things work out for you sooner rather than later. Like you, I find the decorating part much more difficult than the building. If you don't take a lot of time to really fill it up, the build ends up feeling half finished.

@Ziristha: Someone new! Yay! Looking forward to seeing your style!

@BreeMiles: I've seen your builds all over the place, and seeing you here is just awesome! I envy whoever gets you as a builder. :)
  • cmbaker16cmbaker16 Posts: 9,172 Member
    edited November 2018
    @MiaSkywalker nice to see you too, it's been awhile since i've built in 3 so i'm kinda nervous but i'm sure my knowledge won't fail me, hopefully lol
    Hello :)
    TODAY is the last day for signing up. If you're considering being a Buddy, now is the time to get your letter in!!

For those who are already Buddies,
    @Bookworm742 @BreeMiles @ciane @cmbaker16 @equuest @Kesminlix @suzses @Ziristha
    Welcome!!
    Lovely seeing new simmers as well as returning ones.

If you have not uploaded anything recently (3 months or less), please test upload a sim or a basic build. It would be a shame to spend countless hours on creating a gift and then find out that your Buddy (and others!) aren't able to get it due to uploading issues.
  • BreeMilesBreeMiles Posts: 8,909 Member
    Thank you @MiaSkywalker and everyone for the warm welcome! Thank you @MiaSkywalker for such a lovely comment, you put a big huge smile on my face! Thank you @ADWilson for the invite! <3 Can't wait to see what buddy I get, I'm getting excited now! B)
  • KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    Hi everyone! Now I am sad that I can't join in :( So many new faces and old friends are here (waves to @cmbaker16 ! Long time no see!

I had fun reading everyone's letters and all about the traditions you shared. One tradition we have (even though we are way too old for it ;) is to watch How the Grinch Stole Christmas, not the new ones but the old classic read by Boris Karloff. My favorite scene is when the dog is on the front of the sled and all happy :)

So now, it's almost time for Buddies to be paired up, I wish you happy building <3

TWO HOURS left until the signing up deadline
    Post Buddy Letter before then & you'll be fine
    @Kgaff BIG gentle Hugs! Holiday times are fun ... stressful ... very busy so perhaps not the best time for one of these to be scheduled. You aren't the only person who needed to say no. Hopefully the timing of the next one will be better.

<3 the original Grinch!! Poor Max!
    I like that scene but am in between the scenes surrounding the song "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch" and the different names for all the Whoville instruments and toys (those make me laugh!) for being my favorite.
    And ... we are CLOSED for signing up!
    Buddy Names will go out soon.

Remember, name check-in is November 13.
    Got my buddy's name. Off to re-read the letter.
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    Buddy name received here, too. :)
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • KesminlixKesminlix Posts: 252 Member
    I've got my buddy's name! I can't wait to start reading their letter and start making their gift! <3
    giphy.webp
    Ok, first of all, thank you all so much for the warm welcome! I'm so happy about being part of this :blush:
    Second of all, I want to confirm I received my buddy's name! :heart:
    Peeked in your studio before noticing this bit. Nice looking sims! Mai Glob made me laugh. :)
    It's always a good feeling when things upload without any issues. Good catch on noticing something was missing from your build! Hopefully it's an easy one to figure out.
    Oh, that's an old one! I almost don't have anything in my studio simply because no one I knew used it (I was part of another forum some years ago) and everyone else used mediafire or other means to share creations... so I just run with it :lol:
    The item that was missing was the book of spells, it seemed I totally forgot to install it all this time! I was worried, for a moment I thought my store items were corrupted or something and no longer working :confounded:
    I can understand your confusion. Have you tried using a blueprint from a site like eplans? They're very helpful when trying to learn a new architectural style and building things that don't look like boxes (mine used to look like big boxes!). I draw the plan on graph paper using the dimension "rule" of 2 feet = 1 sim square. If a room is 10 ft by 12 ft then that would be 5 squares by 6 squares in-game.
    Sometimes I do use sites like that one, specially to get inspiration or learn about certaing things about architecture styles, but when I struggle the most it's when I'm trying to come with a house of my own design because I really don't have any idea of where to start and I take days figuring what I want to do. Right now I'm stuck with a house I was building for my legacy family some days ago, I was fine with the shell until the furnishing-the-bedrooms-part came... now I feel like it's too huge and has too much wasted space in hallways... but then again it's something like a mansion, so it should be fine... ? and then I made a weird mess with the pool and it looks like it doesn't belong in a mansion-like building... ? been thinking about opening a thread and ask for advice but I'm not sure someone would like to engage with me, so I've just been procrastinating for days :lol:
    I think I'm totally going to steal that idea of "2 feet = 1 sim square" I think it would come in handy :smile:
    I'm very aware of what you mentioned regarding tons of items in each section because ... I spend countless hours sifting through decor items. I go through that section and place the items I might need or want on my lot (usually the backyard) ~ then place items in the room they're intended for ~ decide whether to keep in room, move to another room or remove from build. Often I think of something that I hadn't added or removed and then have to hunt it down. lol
    OMG, thank you so much for letting me know this! I thought I was the only one that made a mess, so to speak, while building!
    In the house I just mentioned, I did first this mess with tables and chairs because I was trying to figure out what I liked best, and then I did this other mess of decor items(and windows it seems lol) because I saw them and thought "I like this, I might use it" :lol:
    Hopefully this information is helpful. I know I have a tendency to type too much.
    It is really useful info! and don't worry on my behalf, I like to engage with others, specially when they "type too much", after all I'm the same :smile:
    ciane wrote: »
    Welcome to the fun Kesminlix and Ziristha! I'm sure both of you will have a great time and present make something awesome!
    Thank you so much @ciane ! I'm already having a wonderful time :smile:
    suzses wrote: »
    Yay, more buddy letters! Kesminlix glad you can join in again! and Ziristha buddy letter looks good - you have a much better handle on what Store stuff you have and don't have than I ever have.
    Thank you @suzses , I was unsure on how to approach my store content list because I think no one else posted an actual list so I couldn't copy anyone! :lol:
    Ziristha: Someone new! Yay! Looking forward to seeing your style!
    @MiaSkywalker Thanks! I'm excited to see everyone's style as well! :blush:

zDZ4NFB.png
    I have a Simblr

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top