Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

**TS3* Build-n-Share Challenge #236 **Empty Nest** **Due 31st March 2021**

Comments

• BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    iampes23 wrote: »
    I hate to do this, but more questions :blush:

First, a clarification: by saying we can change the design of the roof, that means we can do a totally different roof then the current roof style? That was my take, but I do not want to be disqualified for my way of thinking. lol

And second, does the current only door to the home have to be considered as on the front of the home? Since we are allowed to add another door, can I also switch the side of the house I consider as the front?

Thanks for being so patient with us all!

Yes, you can totally delete the roof and change the style to whatever you'd like!

No, you are not limited to the only door that is currently on the house. Doors/windows can't be moved or deleted, but they can be added. A door of that size has to stay in that spot, but you could add another one somewhere else and re-orient the lot however you want :)
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • iampes23iampes23 Posts: 704 Member
    iampes23 wrote: »
    I hate to do this, but more questions :blush:

First, a clarification: by saying we can change the design of the roof, that means we can do a totally different roof then the current roof style? That was my take, but I do not want to be disqualified for my way of thinking. lol

And second, does the current only door to the home have to be considered as on the front of the home? Since we are allowed to add another door, can I also switch the side of the house I consider as the front?

Thanks for being so patient with us all!

Yes, you can totally delete the roof and change the style to whatever you'd like!

No, you are not limited to the only door that is currently on the house. Doors/windows can't be moved or deleted, but they can be added. A door of that size has to stay in that spot, but you could add another one somewhere else and re-orient the lot however you want :)

Thanks very much!!!
  • Lilypink79Lilypink79 Posts: 115 Member
    > @suzses said:
    > I have been liking @Lilypink79 's posts as we've gone along, and looking at her page, I think she just needs to have 15 posts now (8 more) to be a full member.

Thank you so much. You're so kind :blush:
    I've got 99 problems and TS4 glitches are 99 of them
  • equuestequuest Posts: 718 Member
    edited November 2018
    I started working on mine today! I'm having a lot of fun transforming the original lot!
    Post edited by equuest on
  • creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    Got my 'story' all written up, most of the screenshots taken, hopefully will post tonight :) I really liked what this challenge prompted!
    > @creativemetaphor said:
    > Got my 'story' all written up, most of the screenshots taken, hopefully will post tonight :) I really liked what this challenge prompted!

Have you written a back story? I've created a family for the lot haha

I've got mine done, just need to take screenshots.
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    @Lilypink79 - You still need to be a bit more chatty and make a few more posts. Visit some other threads in this forum and leave a comment behind in them. Then you'll make member status, which will help with linking to pics.
    Lilypink79 wrote: »
    Have you written a back story? I've created a family for the lot haha

I did! In this case it seemed helpful to explain why I did some of the things I did in the build, so I wrote a story for the lot. I didn't make any Sims this time around, though.
  • KesminlixKesminlix Posts: 252 Member
    Okay @BuildnShare ,another couple of questions for you. I know that all that all the original furnishings have to remain somewhere on the lot but I'm curious because I have 0 ideas on how I'm going to redesign this :tired_face:

So, a) does building a non-accessible basement or building an unattached storage shed and shoving the stuff we don't use in our redesign count as being "somewhere on the lot" even if they aren't actually used and
    b) does the lot have to remain a residential lot? I had an idea but it is more of a community lot....

I don't want to break the rules, but I am willing to bend and twist them completely out of shape B) (anyone else, feel free to chime in on this!)
    @Kesminlix I added a shed with an accessible basement and just put the furniture down there like someone had placed it there for storage purposes. I debated recoloring it so you couldn't see the furniture and placing it under the roof, but I figured that would be cheating.
  • BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    Kesminlix wrote: »
    Okay @BuildnShare ,another couple of questions for you. I know that all that all the original furnishings have to remain somewhere on the lot but I'm curious because I have 0 ideas on how I'm going to redesign this :tired_face:

So, a) does building a non-accessible basement or building an unattached storage shed and shoving the stuff we don't use in our redesign count as being "somewhere on the lot" even if they aren't actually used and

While that's not expressly forbidden in the rules, it wouldn't quite be in the spirit of the challenge to just hide them away. ;) The idea is to use your recoloring and design skills to incorporate them somewhere in the build. As said before, they don't have to remain in the same room.
    b) does the lot have to remain a residential lot? I had an idea but it is more of a community lot....

I don't want to break the rules, but I am willing to bend and twist them completely out of shape B) (anyone else, feel free to chime in on this!)

I hadn't anticipated it being something other than residential... but if you have an idea for another type of lot, I say go for it! :)

GArBA5W.jpg
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    edited November 2018
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM #208 - Fall Designer Showdown

NAME: suzses

LINK TO LOT: https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9266585

LINK TO MEDIA: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmvBXrKR

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: N/A

LEVEL: Advanced

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 20x30 lot at Beachfront Street 2 in Nilxis' Hylewood. $95,056.

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: While I know we didn't need to use a Fall theme for this build, I've been really into the seaon this year - and also really into the small autumn world of Hylewood by Nilxis - and so I did. The name Autumn's Kiss came to me because I was thinking about how a frost is what brings about the changing leaf colors (an icy touch brings out all those beautiful hues). But, I am thinking of it as being early Fall here so our simmies can still enjoy the sunshine, backyard pool, and garden plants for a while longer. ;) Here in Pennsylvania, we've gone beyond that special time now (there was slush outside this morning! Yuck!).

This might be a good point to mention that Hylewood has tree, shrub and terrain paint recolors that only show up in that world. I think the only two things affected that are actually on the lot are the two large trees in the backyard. If placed in another world, those trees will be their normal colors for whatever season it is. Oh, and the fallen leaves look around the edges are the world's terrain paint, to which I don't have access.

I opted to stay with the 20x30 lot size of The Monotone. I considered larger but thought I'd only do that if the original house became a guest house on the back of a larger property, and while we have a very nice budget, I wasn't sure it was *that* nice - or that I had that much time to invest this month.

So, at the around 95K spent, this is a very nice smaller home for a couple or single sim (all except for that shower that keeps delivering cold water, that is ;) ). There's plenty to do for fun/relaxation inside and out. The property includes:

Inside:
    Desk area with computer
    TV
    Video game console
    Small stereo with speaker on the back porch
    Bookcase
    Multi-Tab

Outside:
    Pool
    Hot tub
    Easel
    Chess set
    Bar
    Fire Pit
    Grill (I think of that more as a fun thing than an appliance)

Thinking it might be helpful in tracking down the original furnishings we needed to use, here is a list of what I moved where:

Wall lights: 2 in entry area, 2 in living/dining area, 1 in bathroom over the tub (I think there were 4 to start with? I was adding then deleting, so if I made a mistake and need one, let me know).

Floor lamps: 1 is still in living area, other is in the bedroom

Overhead outdoor light: Now on the back porch.

Bedroom table lamps: Still in the bedroom, one still on nightstand and the other moved to vanity area

Dresser: Moved from bedroom to the living/dining area under the TV

Dining chairs: 1 is at desk; other in bedroom at vanity

Living room chairs: 1 still in living room; other in bedroom

End table from living room: Now on the back porch

Phone: On the desk

Smoke detector: Behind the fridge (my usual hidey spot)

Fern keeper: In the bathroom

Small trash basket: Back porch.

I think everything else is still in the general area where it was originally and nothing was deleted.

I'm afraid I have an awfully lot of exterior pictures, particularly of the backyard area. Every angle seemed to show something different to me, and I just love the views. So, the angles are for you, judges, and the views were for me. :)

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes, please.

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: None.
    TWITTER TAG: (entirely optional but makes it easier for us to tag you)
    FACEBOOK PROFILE: (entirely optional but makes it easier for us to tag you)
    TUMBLR LINK: (entirely optional but makes it easier for us to tag you)

SPACE FOR PICTURES: (limit 2)

45753958592_d118dbf12a_c.jpgAutumnsKissFront2

45754041352_a0a8582986_c.jpgAutumnsKissPorch4
    Post edited by suzses on
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    edited November 2018
    That is a d o r a b l e !!! Love it! Love that name, the soft green and creme and light wood, the way you added a frieze, the great way you made those designs over the windows outside, and the great layout!
    @suzses OMGoodness that is beautiful!!! So fresh! I LOVE the pool and the raised hot tub! Your bathroom is gorgeous! The autumn trees are so colorful! <3
    @ciane and @creativemetaphor Thanks a bunch :) I had fun doing this and it seemed to come together right away.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    edited November 2018
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM #208 - Fall Designer Showdown
    NAME: creativemetaphor
    LINK TO LOT: not uploaded
    LINK TO MEDIA: Once...

LEVEL: advanced
    LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 20x30 custom placed in Dragon Valley, final cost 139,734

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS:
    It is a comfortable house, not too big but neither too small, but like a certain story it is ‘just right’. It is tucked away at the end of an overgrown road, not too far from the quaint little town, but neither does it lie too close.

It has new windows and doors, and an appealing exterior which fits right in to the surrounding country. A thatched roof completes the look, and an attic tower peeks out above, though no one is quite sure what is up there.

Trees grow here and there, and densely planted flowers and bushes fill the gardens and frame the house.

In the middle of a stone-fenced courtyard with a large wooden gate, there is a quaint old well pump and pool. Also in the courtyard is a mysterious statue which seems to watch over a mystical orb that shows the phases of the moon.

Opening off of the courtyard are the main doors to both the house and the second, smaller building. Between them is a narrow space of garden partially covered by a roof spanning the gap and offering cover to a stone bench there.

The main house contains the entertaining rooms: a splendid parlor and dining room connected by a wide archway, and each with a fireplace, comfortable chairs, and beautiful wall coverings.

The parlor had mirrored candles all around which make the room bright and welcoming. There is a fine desk behind the sofa, and a rocking chair beside the hearth, and in the corner is an easel. The back door opens onto a trellised patio with a table and chairs and where an outhouse can be found.

The dining room has a grand iron chandelier over the table, and a fancy harpsichord in one corner. There is a cabinet with several curios on display, and a fine tapestry. The table is set with four candles around a decorative botanical centerpiece.

Beyond the dining room is the kitchen which also contains a hearth, as well as several pantry shelves and a door to the greenhouse which is tucked into the corner of the house and opens out onto the vegetable and herb garden along the backside of the house, where there is also a beehive.

Going around the back of the house is a narrow, enclosed sitting garden with more statues tucked in amongst the foliage, and benches for enjoying the outdoors. It connects to the passage between the buildings and back to the courtyard.

The smaller, more private building contains on the main floor workshop with a large hearth and cauldron, an alchemy station, and a storage hutch for elixirs. There is another outhouse under the stairs, and an extravagantly furnished loft with a double bed, wardrobe, thick carpets, and lush seating around yet another fireplace.

From both without and within it seems the perfect fairy-book home.

But this home holds a terrible secret.

In a hidden basement accessed through a secret trap door, down an old wooden ladder and beyond a rusted iron gate, there lies an oubliette. With dark walls and rough furnishings, there is only just enough to sustain a sim and no more; bare comfort and no entertainment.

Who is the sad occupant of this room? Who the author of this imprisonment? Perhaps there is more to this mystery than meets the eye...

---

Additional note: given the nature of the build, the only light is self-evident. That is, light fixtures - not buydebug lights - provide all the lights on this lot.

Also, good idea @suzses to list where all the existing stuff ended up:

Wall lights: 4 - 2 in oubliette bathroom, 2 beside oubliette bed
    Floor lamps: 2 beside oubliette couch
    Overhead outdoor light: over oubliette kitchen sink
    Bed: oubliette
    Bedroom night stands: beside oubliette bed
    Bedroom table lamps: on oubliette night stands
    Dresser: at foot of oubliette bed
    Bedroom mirror: oubliette
    Couch and coffee table: oubliette
    Living room chairs: in bedroom loft
    End table from living room: in workshop beside fireplace
    Dining table and chairs: on trellis patio
    Phone: On oubliette night stand
    All bathroom fixtures: in oubliette bathroom
    All kitchen fixtures/cabinets: in oubliette kitchen
    Fire alarm: in kitchen over stove
    Bathroom rug: in oubliette kitchen
    Decorative fern keeper: on parlor mantle

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: yes, please
    CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: n/a

SPACE FOR PICTURES: (limit 2)

screenshot-2.jpg
    screenshot-114.jpg
    edited November 2018
    Oh, wow, @creativemetaphor You sure did manage to make it completely unrecognizable - and so lovely, too! I really love everything about it, but especially all the pumpkins around and about, the gardens, the fencing with the green banners. It's very magical and you got "everything" in there. Also, you really did write a story for it, and it's perfect.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    Wow, what a fantastic job, @creativemetaphor! This might just be my favorite of your builds. I love the roofs and wall textures you chose. And, you went medieval!
    @suzses @ciane Thank you both! <3 I loved how much budget we got (even if I did go over at first lol) and it was so much fun to just go wild with this one!
  • KesminlixKesminlix Posts: 252 Member
    edited November 2018
    @suzses @creativemetaphor , AMAZING builds!! OMGoodiness, y'all are talented!!

I am impressed with how quickly you were inspired and finished your builds! I'm still driving the struggle bus over here trying to figure out what I am going to do! :lol:
    @suzes @creativemetaphor I agree with @Kesminlix both of you are so talented! Those builds are so beautiful and creative! It's definitely inspired me to try and use the furniture that I'm not entirely happy with! :) Now I have to rethink some of my design decisions.
    Quick question... how are you guys taking your screenshots? I have to be in live mode to use the tab option which means having a family moved in but then I get the very annoying green circle thingy reminding me where my active sim is (which i know thank you very much game because I ordered them to go there and then turned off free will lol) turning hideheadlineeffects on doesn't get rid of it either... Any advice please?
  • KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    edited November 2018
    Lilypink79 wrote: »
    Quick question... how are you guys taking your screenshots? I have to be in live mode to use the tab option which means having a family moved in but then I get the very annoying green circle thingy reminding me where my active sim is (which i know thank you very much game because I ordered them to go there and then turned off free will lol) turning hideheadlineeffects on doesn't get rid of it either... Any advice please?

One trick I use a lot is to go into build mode, then choose a terrain paint so the grid goes away. I hide the terrain paint circle someplace inside the house or in a shrub or some place I can't see it, then hit the "c" key to take a shot. I do this to take the outside pics and sometimes do the inside ones this way. you have to fiddle around to get a good angle inside but they usually come out okay.

However, if you want to take pictures of small rooms, you really do need to be in live mode.

I'm done! Yay! Got my pictures taken and ready to do the upload maybe tomorrow.

• KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    @suzses Wow, I want to live there! Such a great change. I love the color scheme and that view is to die for! I also like the decorations above the windows, very nice touch. <3

@creativemetaphor What can I say, just WOW! If you didn't post a picture of the floor plan I would have never guessed monotone the Monotone was in there!
    Your imagination is just amazing. Love it! <3
    > @Kgaff said:
    > Lilypink79 wrote: »
    >
    > Quick question... how are you guys taking your screenshots? I have to be in live mode to use the tab option which means having a family moved in but then I get the very annoying green circle thingy reminding me where my active sim is (which i know thank you very much game because I ordered them to go there and then turned off free will lol) turning hideheadlineeffects on doesn't get rid of it either... Any advice please?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > One trick I use a lot is to go into build mode, then choose a terrain paint so the grid goes away. I hide the terrain paint circle someplace inside the house or in a shrub or some place I can't see it, then hit the "c" key to take a shot. I do this to take the outside pics and sometimes do the inside ones this way. you have to fiddle around to get a good angle inside but they usually come out okay.
    >
    > However, if you want to take pictures of small rooms, you really do need to be in live mode.
    >
    > I'm done! Yay! Got my pictures taken and ready to do the upload maybe tomorrow.

Thanks Kgaff, I do like using the terrain trick when taking smaller shots.

I have just noticed that when in tab mode, the active sim icon doesn't appear in the screenshot... Hurrah! now i can go back and not worry about angling the photo to hide the icon.

I'm looking forward to seeing your creation :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top