Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Where our newspapers at?

2...Next

Comments

• DreamaDoveDreamaDove Posts: 393 Member
    ts4 is supposed to be international, no? Newspapers and landlines are much more prevalent in other countries than USA.

I don't really care for either, but I really like ts2 newspapers. I like how you can read about certain things and make a paper plane out of it. It's just so detailed with what you can do. I also REALLY like how in ts2 you can't choose any job you want at any time but need to wait until it becomes available in the newspaper. I wish you had to interview for jobs instead of being accepted to anything so easily.

I'd like to have magazines
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    DreamaDove wrote: »
    ts4 is supposed to be international, no? Newspapers and landlines are much more prevalent in other countries than USA.

I don't really care for either, but I really like ts2 newspapers. I like how you can read about certain things and make a paper plane out of it. It's just so detailed with what you can do. I also REALLY like how in ts2 you can't choose any job you want at any time but need to wait until it becomes available in the newspaper. I wish you had to interview for jobs instead of being accepted to anything so easily.

I actually don’t like that because it forces me to wait or pick something I don’t want and I’m not a fan of the game telling me what to do. What I would like, is an application procedure. But it should be based on player’s input, not on some random script.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,865 Member
    Would love to see the return of newspapers and landline phones. Like @Hermitgirl said they could be delivered in the mail along with magazines that you'd subscribe to. Loved the magazines in Sims 2 that were based on interests.
  • soko37soko37 Posts: 593 Member
    I don't miss newspapers. All they did was pile up around my house like garbage so fast. They would only read them for seconds then they would rot in their inventory. RIP newspapers
  • AceOfKnavesAceOfKnaves Posts: 173 Member
    edited November 2018
    I miss this too. But then I thought it over a bit more, since they're making a push for more 'modern' objects, why not bring something similar to the futuristic books you could read in 3? Or perhaps a hologram magazine that contains more than one article? Such as news, local, etc. Animation can simply have your sim scrolling through it, of course, and it would eliminate the need for trash in the process. Just thinking aloud, though. There are some pretty good ideas in this thread already, but yeah, now I'm not so sure we'll get newspapers back. :/
  • QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    I miss this too. But then I thought it over a bit more, since they're making a push for more 'modern' objects, why not bring something similar to the futuristic books you could read in 3? Or perhaps a hologram magazine that contains more than one article? Such as news, local, etc. Animation can simply have your sim scrolling through it, of course, and it would eliminate the need for trash in the process. Just thinking aloud, though. There are some pretty good ideas in this thread already, but yeah, now I'm not so sure we'll get newspapers back. :/

Because a lot of people are already sick of how much sims spend attached to computers/phones. I don’t really care, but yeah.
  • Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    DreamaDove wrote: »

I like the idea of what's bolded. Since we don't have University (yet) I think sims should have a certain set of skills before being able to get certain jobs this if they do go to an interview, which could be implemented like auditioning will be in GF, and they have the skills they have a better chance of getting the job. Like the doctor or scientist career one should have to aleast have a certain level of logic before they can get the job. And then if or when University college sout they can have that work with the interviewing process.

Back in topic

I think they should have newspapers and magazine subscriptions. Make it optional like magazines were in the sims 2.
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • AceOfKnavesAceOfKnaves Posts: 173 Member
    QueenMercy wrote: »

Because a lot of people are already sick of how much sims spend attached to computers/phones. I don’t really care, but yeah.

Though I was aware of that, just trying to find some middle ground here, which is like a rock and a hard place, since any hope I had has plummeted. Subscriptions may work, but personally I can't see the team going for it since they're looking forward now. Whatever goes, then.
  • CeCeDotCeCeDot Posts: 230 Member
    Barely anyone around me uses news papers anymore. We check news online. I wouldn't be opposed to have them back in the game, but instead of making it the default like in TS3 make it a service you have to call before you recieve them everyday.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member

That idea still has the "makes sims addicted to electronic devices" nature which I abhor. The game as it is now does not let the player control the story unless they want their sims addicted to electronic devices. There is a reason why I play without having any electronic devices in my sims' homes, but then they are addicted to their cell phones.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    I would love to have newspapers and landlines. In fact the animations for landlines are in the game, the hospital & science lab receptionists already use landline phones.
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    Yes, I want a newspaper service and landlines too.
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    CeCeDot wrote: »
    Barely anyone around me uses news papers anymore. We check news online. I wouldn't be opposed to have them back in the game, but instead of making it the default like in TS3 make it a service you have to call before you recieve them everyday.

I also get my news online and, at times, from live television. However, in the spring, I get up very early to wet the lawn and I always seen the newspaper boy (A grown man) delivering his papers to several homes on the block.

I say all of that to say, that not everyone likes to be online. That's an assumption that is made that insulting, in a way. Every doctor, every utility, every television show, or commercial directs consumers to the www. However, there are still so many people that don't have access and don't want it.

If I want to portray people like that in my game, I can't. Because the game has already decided that I shouldn't.

This series has strayed very far from what it originally was -- when player choice and options were the rule, rather than the exception. Having newspapers brought back and making smart phones an option, instead of a decree, would be a step on the right direction. It would be a step towards the original spirit of The Sims.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg