Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

PC Advice/Help

2...Next

Comments

• Alex_SimsAlex_Sims Posts: 13 New Member
    I have edited the SGR files. Could that be the problem?
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Yes, it could be. Or at least, it's not helping. Again, do you have the original GraphicsRules and GraphicsCards files handy so we can try this again?

Also have to ask if you have taken steps to cap the frame rate on that card. TS3 has no built-in fps limiter and the more powerful cards like yours will run wild on it, causing all kinds of issues if left uncapped. This is actually more important than the recognition and texture memory thing. If you bring up the cheats console, ctrl+shift+C, and type fps on (enter), what kind of actual frame rates are you getting as you play and move the game camera around? They should stay locked in under your screen's refresh rate, usually that's 60 Hz so 60 fps. To make the display go away, cheats console again and fps off (enter).
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    Yes, I backed up the files before I changed them.
    Oh no I haven't done that. My fps is going from staying at 12-15 to going from 80-105
    > @Alex_Sims said:
    > Oh no I haven't done that. My fps is going from staying at 12-15 to going from 80-105

I mean't I hadn't ever checked the fps. I do have the files :)
    The first step on the fps, which again is more important than the recognition thing, is to use the Nvidia Control Panel to establish a profile for TS3.exe (for Patch 1.69) or TS3w.exe (with the "w'" for Patch 1.67 or below). On that profile, enable Vertical Sync (On or Adaptive, whichever works) and turn Triple Buffering On. Note that vertical sync only works in full-screen mode. If that's not enough to lock things in under 60, or if windowed mode is required, then we add Nvidia Inspector which must be downloaded and installed first and set the TS3 profile's Frame Rate Limiter there explicitly to 60 or some value really close to that.

Here are some illustrations that should help, under the two Spoiler buttons.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15940743#Comment_15940743
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Okay, my FPS doesn't go over 60 now.
    Alex_Sims wrote: »
    Okay, my FPS doesn't go over 60 now.
    Great! Any improvements in-game or do things still look the same?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    The camera moves smoother but everything still looks the same :(
    edited October 2018
    Okay. Am going to bring the card recognition instructions into PMs, they tend to confuse other players who use different methods or have all different kinds of cards to work with. But give me a few minutes, am tending to something else at the moment.

Edit:
    Okay, PM sent.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • genie95genie95 Posts: 14 New Member
    I hope it's ok if I also hijack this post since it seems I still can't make my own. I was wondering if I could get some help finding a pc/monitor to play sims 3 and eventually 4 (and 5?!) with ease on high settings. I've been playing with expansions and cc on my 2012 macbook pro with some difficulty since I got this laptop (and updated it to 8GB w/ a SSD) and I don't intend to buy another mac since they are now preventing 3rd party repairs on newer models. So, that being said, now I'm a little more comfortable spending on a gaming computer, since when I do buy another laptop it'll be a cheaper! I was hoping max $1000 since I will be going to grad school in another year and I'd like it to last (unless I should wait for 5 to come out and buy a gaming computer then)? Any advice is super appreciated!
    edited October 2018
    @genie95 - Issues with Mac hardware repair policies notwithstanding, one problem with TS3 for Mac has always been the broken way in which EA arranged for its port into the Mac OS. It was not done well and that version of the game has had a 2 GB limit on RAM usage imposed on it that will never be lifted. The Windows version of the game can use up to almost 4 GB as needed, if the RAM is available. It is also the case that the next operating system out after Mojave/10.14 will likely not run 32-bit applications at all, so by all accounts that will be the end of TS3 for Mac as we now know it, for those who stay current on operating systems.

If you really were intending to stay within the Mac ecosystem, we should be talking about Bootcamping Windows onto one so as to be able to play the Windows version of TS3 without the restrictions. TS4 for Mac doesn't have any of these issues as the port was done properly.

With your budget, you should be able to find many choices for great PC desktops (assume you want a desktop since you mentioned a monitor). Things to look for:

Processor: i5 quad core or higher, i7 would be better but not essential, or the AMD equivalents.

Memory: At least 8 GB but 16+ GB would be more convenient for running programs alongside of the game and for future-proofing.

Graphics Card: Dedicated, not integrated, and of sufficient strength to carry the entire game and all EPs. On the current Nvidia range, that would be the GTX 1050/1050Ti or higher. Anything over the 1060s would be way more graphics power than the game could ever use, but could be helpful for other games down the road. The still new but lower end MX 130s and 150s (may also show up as GT 1030s) are best to be avoided. Or, again, the AMD equivalents.

Hard Drive: TS3 in particular benefits from being run on an SSD whereas other games may not (TS4 for example doesn't). It's not essential to have an SSD though. Regardless of SSD or HDD, or some combination of both, it would be best to be running the games from a 512 GB or larger drive so as not to keep bumping into space limitations routinely.

Monitors can come down to the size wanted and reliability of the product line. They don't have to purchased from the same place as a computer system or at the same time, of course.

Waiting for TS5 and enough of its EPs to come out before making any kind of informed decision could, unless you have official information to the contrary that I have been missing which given how busy we have been at NRaas lately is entirely possible, take over five or six years to happen. If it actually does happen.

Does this give you enough information to go shopping? If you encounter any systems you have questions about or can't decide between a couple of them, then some links to the vendor sites might help, broken up links since you have New Member status (use "h.t.t.p.s" or something like that) and we can give our opinions on how their specs sound.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    @igazor thanks for all your help, it made it much easier to narrow the search considering how un-savvy . Unfortunately, I'm struggling because I can't seem to find much below 1000 when focusing on i7 processor, 16 GB memory, GTX 1050/1050ti/1060 graphics card, and hard drives over 512 GB (I think—I started getting confused when things said "hard drive + SSD"). I thought it was best to err on the side of caution and attempt to future proof since I won't be able to spend money as frivolously in the future, so this computer would be something of an investment for my entertainment. These are some of the computers I was looking at for black friday/cyber monday.

$1380—h.t.t.p.s://www.bestbuy.com/site/cybertronpc-palladium-gtx-desktop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-2tb-hdd-120gb-ssd-blue/5709910.p?skuId=5709910
    $1100—h.t.t.p.s://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-xps-desktop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-2tb-hard-drive-black/6297712.p?
    $1250—h.t.t.p.s://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-omen-by-hp-desktop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-1tb-hard-drive-brushed-aluminum/5759917.p?skuId=5759917
    $1150—h.t.t.p.s://www.bestbuy.com/site/ibuypower-desktop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-1tb-hard-drive-120gb-solid-state-drive-gray-black/6180825.p?skuId=6180825
    $1230—h.t.t.p.s://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-inspiron-desktop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-128gb-solid-state-drive-2tb-hard-drive-recon-blue/6189101.p?skuId=6189101

I don't feel great about the prices because I'd still have to buy a monitor/keyboard/mouse, bringing me over budget, and it was frustrating to find laptops with what appear to be the same specs for the same price when I was under the impression I could get more bang for my buck with a desktop.

$1100—h.t.t.p.s://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-17-3-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-1tb-hard-drive-128gb-solid-state-drive-black/6265623.p?skuId=6265623&ref=212&loc=1&ds_rl=1260666&ds_rl=1260576&ds_rl=1266837&ref=212&loc=1&ds_rl=1266837&gclid=CjwKCAjw9sreBRBAEiwARroYm9s1j9FJ7W7oZg3O_XNKKhUWXs9JPwdz1ZDJ9xmrpdDwaY7LMxezvhoCllcQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Amazon and newegg appeared to have the same or higher prices, but if I'm looking in the wrong place please let me know. Thanks again!
    cyber monday* idk where plum came from
    edited October 2018
    @genie95 - Yikes, no. I mean the systems you found are fine I am sure but way overkill for TS3. This is not the strongest suit in my hand, I really don't have the "shopping gene" like others here do and maybe they will comment later, but take a look at this one on Amazon currently on sale for $650.
    https://www.amazon.com/SkyTech-ArchAngel-Gaming-Computer-Quad-Core/dp/B077QDM2DP/ref=lp_8588813011_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1540614775&sr=1-4

What do you see lacking in the one I found and its competitors compared to yours? Look around a bit, notice the "similar products" lists for other machines in its class.

The SSD is not helpful if it's too small to run anything other than just Windows. The 120 GB SSD + much larger HDD combos will make Windows start up (and anti-virus itself probably) faster, it won't help the game startup and run any better because the game will have to be installed on the HDD. The much larger SSDs drive the price up like crazy, so the one I linked to only has a single 1 TB HDD.

It also only has 8 GB of RAM. If you want 16 GB, you can always add more right after purchasing or later. It's not that difficult to do, or you could take it in to even a Geek Squad type of place and have them do it.

This is one of its cousins, has that SSD+HDD combo, and starts out at 16 GB. It's on sale for $750.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CH38T1S/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1

I didn't spend much time looking for where to start because I recognized this model as a good one right away (yeah, I know that's cheating) but if you want more than 1 TB or a sizable enough SSD to begin with, that will raise the starting price probably into the high $800s or 900s.

All new computers come with a keyboard and mouse. Whether you like them are not might be a different story.

If you were really interested in spending $1200-1500 USD on a desktop before the monitor, we should be talking about custom building a system. That's where the customer chooses the parts and the system is put together before shipping to the specifications ordered. But that class of build is not really where I thought we were heading.

Edit: Puzzled a little by your results, I looked over the offerings on BestBuy. Usually BB is one of the more expensive places to shop, but I see plenty of suitable systems in the $650-850 range just like on Amazon although not exactly the same models. As for brand names, that's not always the most important consideration but I would shy away from HP and Dell because they tend to be overpriced for what you get and what they both call "gaming sytems" often enough are not or do not have adequate cooling.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Oof my ignorance is showing, I knew something was off. Both computers you linked look good to me! Am I right to assume an SSD isn't really necessary for either sims 3 or 4? Maybe my results are puzzling because I was aiming for an i7 since I wasn't sure what the AMD equivalent would be—I'm not sure if that explains it. But I am 100% not interested in spending that much for a tower since I'm definitely just a casual gamer/don't play much else besides stardew 😬 I just want my games to look pretty and function smoothly hahah so anything above 1000 would be extra when the computers you've linked can stand the test of time for my purposes. Thanks again for all your help!
    Last question, do you have any suggestions for monitors? Below were some of the suggested monitors as I was looking at the "viewed by others" thing. From what I understood a lower response time and refresh rate is good (?) and I was looking at smaller screens, relatively speaking.

h.t.t.p.s://www.amazon.com/Acer-KA220HQ-21-5-viewable-Monitor/dp/B078WPPX2Z/ref=pd_sbs_147_13?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B078WPPX2Z&pd_rd_r=355c36cc-d9f9-11e8-9a86-5789e54c2c1c&pd_rd_w=RKXPq&pd_rd_wg=5nK3L&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=7d5d9c3c-5e01-44ac-97fd-261afd40b865&pf_rd_r=WX76J0C1MEMKSZ3KYZ6X&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=WX76J0C1MEMKSZ3KYZ6X
    h.t.t.p.s://www.amazon.com/HP-23-8-inch-Adjustment-Speakers-VH240a-x/dp/B072M34RQC/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1540653319&sr=1-1&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_two_browse-bin%3A6570747011
    h.t.t.p.s://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-21-5-Inch-Monitor-22cwa/dp/B015WCV70W/ref=pd_bxgy_147_img_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B015WCV70W&pd_rd_r=93ff1217-d9f2-11e8-812b-6f7e56fb9f31&pd_rd_w=wJd3c&pd_rd_wg=5wIkK&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=6725dbd6-9917-451d-beba-16af7874e407&pf_rd_r=7WJGYGV8DFQQSF2N77A6&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=7WJGYGV8DFQQSF2N77A6
    h.t.t.p.s://www.amazon.com/VP228H-Monitor-21-5-inch-1920x1080-Flicker-Free/dp/B01CTPFDUU
    edit: aiming for an i7 and SSD
    edit again: never mind a higher refresh rate and lower response time is desirable? @igazor
    edited October 2018
    The two systems I linked to have AMD processors rather than Intel (i5, i7, etc.). Either way is fine. You don't really need an i7 for a desktop, the modern quad core and newer i5s are fine too. A laptop tends to require more processing power to get the same results. As long as we are talking about speeds well above 2.4 GHz and not the U-series ultra low power processors (these usually show up on laptops where power and battery management for more routine tasks than gaming are more critical to some users), the extra powerful processors are just not necessary for sims games. When you start seeing speeds much lower than that, we're usually no longer talking about a system suitable for gaming but more likely one meant for routine office and student type tasks.

TS3 happens to benefit from being installed on an SSD and having its user game folder (the TS3 game folder in Documents where are saves and caches are) be on one. It's not a requirement, but the SSD will speed up the times for startup, saves, quits, travel transitions, and catalog building in Build/Buy and CASt. For actual game play, they don't make much difference unless caching is happening. TS4 gets no benefit from being on an SSD due to the way it is programmed. And again, when presented with a combo of drives but the SSD is smaller than 256 GB (or really 512 GB), then you wouldn't want to run the game from it anyway for practical reasons as you will have constant space issues so then there would be no benefit to the game to even having a smaller one.

Monitors are difficult to recommend because there are so many on the market. It looks like you are in the right ranges although I see some complaints about quality on the $80 one. Here is where I would want to go with a major brand and check the comments on retail sites to make sure you haven't selected one that everyone is returning after three months because it was a faulty model. Usually the bells and whistles that come on under $250 monitors are gimmicks, added in speakers tend to sound bad if they even work at all, etc. Higher refresh rates are not required for sims games. Those are more relevant when higher def is needed or split-millisecond timing is required such as with first person action and shooter type games. Your sims are going to burn those waffles and be late for work anyway no matter quickly you react to on-screen events, even when fighting off tomb mummies and such it's just not a game that requires the higher monitor specs. But if you end up with a 75 or 144 Hz or so monitor on sale for the same price as the more typical 60 Hz, that of course would not be a bad thing. Also remember that monitors can be swapped out pretty easily, so if you aren't happy enough with your initial choice three years later you can always try a new or higher end one without too much bother.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Thank you, I'll look into monitors! I was wondering if it's possible to install sims 3 on the HDD and put some of its folders on the SSD to load faster or if that's pointless with 120 GB?
    edited October 2018
    genie95 wrote: »
    Thank you, I'll look into monitors! I was wondering if it's possible to install sims 3 on the HDD and put some of its folders on the SSD to load faster or if that's pointless with 120 GB?
    It is certainly possible, but for most players does not turn out to be very practical. You would have Windows itself, presumably Win 10, on that small SSD and it needs room to expand over time, there will be Restore Points, the page file (virtual memory) to account for, this is where you would want your anti-virus/malware to run from. It's far too easy to run out of space or deny Windows the free space it requires to maneuver properly.

On a 256 GB SSD combo, we could talk about installing the game program on it but having the Documents folder including the TS3 user game folder with its content redirected to the HDD. There would be some benefit to that, but not as much as having the game run from an SSD entirely. And again for TS3 note we are talking about startup, save, quit, travel transition times, CAS, CASt, and Build/Buy catalogs. Actual gameplay would be about the same on either kind of drive as most of the game runs from what is loaded up in RAM, not from the hard drives. There is nothing faster than RAM access.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    That's it for me, I just ordered my computer and monitor. Thank you so much for all of your help!! I really appreciate your clear explanations/patience/quick responses!
  • Wildspice3Wildspice3 Posts: 10 New Member
    Hello, I just used PC Picker to try and price out parts for a desktop. Understanding prices may rise or parts may become unavailable, but I just wanted to know am I on the right track to start saving for that price range? pcpartpicker.com/user/mykeljc3/saved/#view=2pq7WZ (can't post links just yet)

I do like playing with mods and CC. I have Sims 2 UC and Sims 4 (Base, CL, GW, GT, Dine Out, Free Holiday Pack). I may not play with a lot of mods and CC for Sims 2 because it already comes with a lot and probably most of the CC and mods are outdated for it anyhow. In the future, I will be purchasing more packs for Sims 4 if I choose that to be the main game I play.

I am not looking to do anything special outside of play sims with the desktop. I have a laptop I can use for work purposes.
    Wildspice3 wrote: »
    Hello, I just used PC Picker to try and price out parts for a desktop. Understanding prices may rise or parts may become unavailable, but I just wanted to know am I on the right track to start saving for that price range? pcpartpicker.com/user/mykeljc3/saved/#view=2pq7WZ (can't post links just yet)

I do like playing with mods and CC. I have Sims 2 UC and Sims 4 (Base, CL, GW, GT, Dine Out, Free Holiday Pack). I may not play with a lot of mods and CC for Sims 2 because it already comes with a lot and probably most of the CC and mods are outdated for it anyhow. In the future, I will be purchasing more packs for Sims 4 if I choose that to be the main game I play.

I am not looking to do anything special outside of play sims with the desktop. I have a laptop I can use for work purposes.
    Not sure why a custom build would be necessary for TS2/4 and the final price tag looks a bit high to me, but you do get higher quality components that way as compared to an off the shelf model.

By comparison, TS2 puts very little strain on most any system. I suggest that you repost the question on the TS4 section of AHQ though and see if you get some more informed input. This is the TS3 section of the forum, not all of us here even have TS4. :)
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4/ct-p/the-sims-4-en
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Wildspice3Wildspice3 Posts: 10 New Member
    Ah! Apologies! I didn't realize this was for TS3 thank you for pointing that out to me!