Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

BUILDERS' 101 - For Builders from Novice to Beyond

Comments

• Jasnik82Jasnik82 Posts: 917 New Member
    edited December 2009
    Yikes!! This thread is like a runaway train, there is no way I am going to catch up on 30 something pages. Congrats Magician and Merry on your success :D

Welcome to our new moderator, I know I read that somewhere.

Welcome also to Craig, good to see you here too. I'm sure Merry will keep you busy with her homework :D

Magician, your castle build looks HUGE! I like what you have so far, however after staring at the outside pic for several minutes I felt as though I wanted to just push the two halves together a bit more. If you reduce the gap in the middle it may not notice so much. I know that would mean a lot of changes but I think it would really improve the look of the castle from the outside. Would be great if we could adjust the hight and width of arches.

Another thought I just had would be to add two more towers, one either side at just 3 stories high to fill that whole in a bit, instead of pushing the sides together.

Gotta run, boys are home from school.

Jasnik :)
  • LiLSapphireLiLSapphire Posts: 1,095 Member
    edited December 2009
    Here are the changes, I weathered the bridge and the deck fencing, did the stone all the way up and changed the windows.

2ntzds4.jpg
    bec5md.jpg

Judy

is it ok for me to call you Judy?

I love the front of the home. But' I'm not sure about the backside. Do you think you could take the pattern form the front and apply it to the second level? I think it would blend the home better.

Happily Simming
    Lil
    edited December 2009
    Here are the changes, I weathered the bridge and the deck fencing, did the stone all the way up and changed the windows.

2ntzds4.jpg
    bec5md.jpg

Judy

is it ok for me to call you Judy?

I love the front of the home. But' I'm not sure about the backside. Do you think you could take the pattern form the front and apply it to the second level? I think it would blend the home better.

Happily Simming
    Lil
    edited December 2009
    WIP update

OK I am done with the interior decore. I also need to come up with a name. Thought I would show some pics for any final comments before I take the final tour photos and start working on cover shots.

Bed 1 view 1
    bed1view1.jpg

Bed 1 view 2
    bed1view2.jpg

bed 2 view 1
    bed2view1.jpg

bed 2 view 2
    bed2view2.jpg

bed 3 view 1
    bed3view2.jpg

bed 3 view 2
    bed3view1.jpg

bath view 1
    bath1.jpg

bath view 2
    bath2.jpg

kitchen counter redo 1
    counterredo.jpg

kitchen counter redo view 2
    counterredo2.jpg

Happily Simming
    Lil
  • wolfsprytewolfspryte Posts: 187 New Member
    edited December 2009
    Hi Merrywidow... I've started on the "Homework"... here is Assignment #1: I stuck as closely to the "blueprint" as I could:

Top view - roof down:
    Screenshot-18-6.jpg

Frontview:
    Screenshot-19-6.jpg

Sideview 1:
    Screenshot-20-5.jpg

Sideview 2:
    Screenshot-22-4.jpg

Rearview:
    Screenshot-21-4.jpg
  • Buddy_ClydeBuddy_Clyde Posts: 85 New Member
    edited December 2009
    To SIMTWEEK:
    I went thru your story. I had some trouble with the camera technique. I spent one whole computer session practicing photo taking to figure out how to keep my walls straight. My rule of thumb: Start with camera lens as close as possible and walls as far away as possible. Then walk the lens out with baby steps using up and down to control walls. Hope this not only made sense but is helpful.

To Magician1: Thank you for taking the time to notice and write a comment. I don't feel castle-qualified to comment on your build, but will keep noticing its evolution.

To SmokyTopaz:
    I like your soft colours. I think they go well with your exterior.

To Sunny:
    Enjoyed the tour of your house. I’m not fond of green but find your use of it to be quite soothing.

To Wolfspryte:
    Oh I did so like your Clutter Free Living house. Made me want to get up and clean house… almost. But what I really liked was your waterfall and pond. The only non-positive comment I have is that I found the purple flowers along the little fence to be a little jarring. If flower containers were fewer or the fence longer, it might look more pleaseing. But that may just be me.
  • magician1magician1 Posts: 3,098 Member
    edited December 2009
    To SIMTWEEK:
    I went thru your story. I had some trouble with the camera technique. I spent one whole computer session practicing photo taking to figure out how to keep my walls straight. My rule of thumb: Start with camera lens as close as possible and walls as far away as possible. Then walk the lens out with baby steps using up and down to control walls. Hope this not only made sense but is helpful.

To Magician1: Thank you for taking the time to notice and write a comment. I don't feel castle-qualified to comment on your build, but will keep noticing its evolution.

To SmokyTopaz:

To Sunny:
    Enjoyed the tour of your house. I’m not fond of green but find your use of it to be quite soothing.

To Wolfspryte:
    Oh I did so like your Clutter Free Living house. Made me want to get up and clean house… almost. But what I really liked was your waterfall and pond. The only non-positive comment I have is that I found the purple flowers along the little fence to be a little jarring. If flower containers were fewer or the fence longer, it might look more pleaseing. But that may just be me.

Hi There

I don't always get to say something to all but I really try and now that SimTweek is a Moderator here, I will have more time on my hands.

'Keep Learning to Create Better'
  • jadedcat1983jadedcat1983 Posts: 401
    edited December 2009
    WIP update

OK I am done with the interior decore. I also need to come up with a name. Thought I would show some pics for any final comments before I take the final tour photos and start working on cover shots.

Bed 1 view 1
    bed1view1.jpg

Bed 1 view 2
    bed1view2.jpg

bed 2 view 1
    bed2view1.jpg

bed 2 view 2
    bed2view2.jpg

bed 3 view 1
    bed3view2.jpg

bed 3 view 2
    bed3view1.jpg

bath view 1
    bath1.jpg

bath view 2
    bath2.jpg

kitchen counter redo 1
    counterredo.jpg

kitchen counter redo view 2
    counterredo2.jpg

Happily Simming
    Lil

For me the yellow in the bedrooms is a little too bright. I think it might work better with a less saturated version of that yellow. To me primary yelllow overwhelms the delicate mint green color. A pastel yellow might seem less shocking.

I like the use of patterns and solids though.

In beroom 3 did you mean to have 2 different values of green? The curtains and the pattern on the lower walls look to be different saturation levels of the same green. Whereas the bed is a completely different green. More a yellow green then a forest green.

The bathroom is charming. Almost a spa like feel with that shade of mint green. I love the repeat of it in the wood flooring. Though typically I would suggest tile in a bathroom wood does seem to give a very spa like feel. However maybe rectangular rugs in front of the sinks? The oval seem to be chopped off by the wall.

I love the kitchen too. Its bright and cheery without overpowering the eye. Though I might have used the pattern from the dining room rug on the curtains to tie the rooms together.

Jaded

P.S. all opinions stated above are merely personal opinions and not intended as an insult or derogatory statement on my part. Use the opinions that help and ignore the rest.
    edited December 2009
    To nam24601:
    First of all, let me say that I am starting to hate this house. I chose a color palette that I liked and was familiar with. They were colors that I painted with in another life. But they are really difficult to use in the small starter house given in assignment #1. I had the L/R one color, yellow, but it didn’t play well. The wood floors were chosen for yellow walls. I learned that yellow was a difficult color to put wood hues next to. Your comments re guest potty were right on. Yellow fixtures and bye-bye purple painting (I originally planned on doing that room in purple until I saw that I had a really dark shade of plum.) Thank you for your post.
  • JuliababyjenJuliababyjen Posts: 783 Member
    edited December 2009
    Here is my WIP I've been working on today. I've only finished the exterior, but thought I would take a break.

qz0toh.jpg
    2a9acyd.jpg
    15p0r9l.jpg
    snowso.jpg
    110cgg1.jpg
    t99utl.jpg
    nps45z.jpg
    28i537k.jpg
    edited December 2009
    To Jaded:
    Glad you liked the living room and guest potty is being redecorated tonight. Interesting comment about the bedroom potty. I’ll play with a smaller stripe pattern and see what happens. I also liked the living room bar area and kitchen striped wall better after the re-do. Re kitchen splash board: Cannot bring in colors other than the palette I’m working with but will see what happens when wood is used in place of the tile. No need to apologize for caring enough to be honest in your sharing.
    edited December 2009
    To Judy:
    I agree with Lil in that I’d like to see the front pattern tried on the second story. Does it seem jarring to you to have the 1st floor exterior in two different patterns?

To Lil:
    LiL, I personally liked the single bed room than the double bed room. But, I really loved your baths. You made vanilla type bath fixtures look first class. I think I liked the atmosphere of the entire room. Think about what you did to create that and you’ll have a winner.
    edited December 2009
    To Juliababyjen :
    The exterior looks very classy. I like the color and windows choices. I might rethink the stone work on paths and around pool. Looks like soil from a distance and I don't think that particular shade of brown compliments your exterior. How about a darker shade of brown and one with more blue in it.
    edited December 2009
    Here is my WIP I've been working on today. I've only finished the exterior, but thought I would take a break.

qz0toh.jpg
    2a9acyd.jpg
    15p0r9l.jpg
    snowso.jpg
    110cgg1.jpg
    t99utl.jpg
    nps45z.jpg
    28i537k.jpg

Landscaping looks great, and the home looks like it's going to be a great house can't wait to see more

Happily Simming
    Lil
    edited December 2009

For me the yellow in the bedrooms is a little too bright. I think it might work better with a less saturated version of that yellow. To me primary yelllow overwhelms the delicate mint green color. A pastel yellow might seem less shocking.

I like the use of patterns and solids though.

In beroom 3 did you mean to have 2 different values of green? The curtains and the pattern on the lower walls look to be different saturation levels of the same green. Whereas the bed is a completely different green. More a yellow green then a forest green.

The bathroom is charming. Almost a spa like feel with that shade of mint green. I love the repeat of it in the wood flooring. Though typically I would suggest tile in a bathroom wood does seem to give a very spa like feel. However maybe rectangular rugs in front of the sinks? The oval seem to be chopped off by the wall.

I love the kitchen too. Its bright and cheery without overpowering the eye. Though I might have used the pattern from the dining room rug on the curtains to tie the rooms together.

Jaded

P.S. all opinions stated above are merely personal opinions and not intended as an insult or derogatory statement on my part. Use the opinions that help and ignore the rest.

Jaded

No fears dear all feedback here is opinion and nothing is taken personaly. I thank you for your feedback. I didn't realise the shade of green on the bed in bed 3 changed I'll have to change that back thanks for catching that.

As for the yellow it is a lot darker in game then it is in the pics. I don't know what it is with ingame snap shots, but they never seems to catch everything the way it actualy is. For my next WIP I think I will try some screen captures instead of snap shots to see if that makes a difference.

Happily Simming
    Lil
  • simtweeksimtweek Posts: 267 Member
    edited December 2009
    AmythestRyu -

I had a chance to check out your PineBrooke Manson lot.

A great cover shot would help this lot on the exchange. See the second post on page 1 of this thread if you are unsure how to make a cover shot.

You will want to be sure to name your lot in the game before you share, this way when the lot is downloaded by others they will be able to see the lot name in the game. If it is named at the time of the share, that information is only visible in the exchange.

There were a few things that my sim noticed while living on your lot. She tried to use the treadmills but they were placed to close to the wall and were unusable. You'll need one square behind the treadmills for the sim to be able to use it them. She receive a nicely decorated moodlet in most of the rooms in the house. She noticed the family bathroom on the second floor can only be accessed by going through the red bedroom. Maybe you want to consider removing some counters and add a door in the hallway to give the person who lives in the room more privacy. There's a lot of living space in the master bedroom, maybe you want to consider moving the sofa a square or two from the T.V. You did great job with lighting up the house. I saw that the two fireplaces in the living room weren't in line. There wasn't much exterior lighting at the entrance of the house. I did like the front porch and your colors matched nicely throughout the house.

Consider playing around with the terrain paints. Maybe change the color of the grass across most of the lot and add a little dirt under the playground equipment. I know terrain paints are something that I need to work on myself. You had a nice layout and the rooms were spacious.

I enjoyed touring your lot and hope to see more from you in the future.

Tweek
  • MerryWiddowMerryWiddow Posts: 4,262 Member
    edited December 2009
    Hi MSusko,

I've taken a look at your lot and this is what I found.

Summer Beach House
    by MSusko13

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=83042213

The architecture is good, although the roofs are different heights and it makes the top accent 'rooms' look at odds with each other. The round roof is a little too small. From above you can see the walls. The walkout basement is nicely done. The landscaping at the back is lovely. A couple of palm trees and other beach foliage on the lot in the front would have looked nice. The fire pit area is nice.

The interior could have used a little colour on the walls in the form of artwork and curtains. The furniture placement was good and the colour matched. A few of the rooms seemed like they were missing something. There was a lamp by itself in the study where a couple of chairs would have looked wonderful. The shower in the both bathrooms was placed in front of the window. My Sim got the 'Decorated' moodlet through most of the house. In the living room she got the 'Nicely Decorated' moodlet. I found a burglar alarm but not a fire alarm.

Overall a good house. I would suggest you pay a little more attention to details. You could also review the 2nd post on this thread call Changing your Cover Picture. A striking cover picture is often what attracts a downloader. I also recommend you look for the link in the first post to Naming Your Lot... I had a difficult time determining which lot was yours because the lot name and your name were not on the lot.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • simtweeksimtweek Posts: 267 Member
    edited December 2009
    To SIMTWEEK:

To SmokyTopaz:

To Sunny:

To Wolfspryte:

Hey Buddy - I actually just found out about cameraman mode a couple of days ago and when the picture gets all distorted I have a heck of a time getting it back to normal. I'm going to try your technique I hope it works for me. Thanks for the tip.
    edited December 2009

I have listened to all of your comments and took them into account when redecorating my little house. Thus this is a redo of Assignment #2.

Thank you and I hope I can now move on to Assignment #3. I am learning a lot and appreciate all who have critiqued my work.(EA seems detrmined to prvent my assignments from being posted in a timely manner. My poor computer just churns away while telling me that the site has been found but waiting for a reply.)

Hi Buddy, I would like you to vary your patterns a bit. Try not to use the same pattern in more that one room. I'm going to give you a link to my Modern Bridge House where I use bold colours. You can see what I mean about patterns. You can also introduce a neutral colour into your space.

I love the new bedroom and kitchen, but not too sure about the statue. What look are you going for here?

Have fun!

MerryWiddow

Edit: Sorry I already gave you the link.MW
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • darkside266darkside266 Posts: 2,077 Member
    edited December 2009
    judywork1957..thanks for the link to saltbox homes..i bookmarked it in case i decide to build some,BTW yours definetely fits the look.
    Ok,i finally found the post i was looking for.your new improvements to the outside look great..I'm talking about the post on page 133..thats what i was trying to get across.I love stacked brick patterns,and that looks awesome.

craigst39 ..Your Wip is looking great..your wallcovering choice and windows go well together.

Nam..i have to choose #1..it stands out best of these choices..Although,you should really try a shot from street level.page132 you have new choices,1 and 3 look alike,so i choose #1 again.

Buddy_Clyde.. as i scroll thru your post..I like most of the changes i am seeing..Although the stripes in the bathroom doesnt really set well with me..I think something else would be a better improvement.On the breakfast bar,i'm torn.I kinda like what you have with the overhead cabinets,but not in love with it.To me cabinets need a more realistic feel to them..In your real home,would you wallpaper your cabinets the same as your walls?Just a thought.May i suggest on all of your kitchen cabinets go with the red you have on frig and use the blue you have on table and chairs for your cabinet doors.Now for some reason that striped print looks good in the bedroom,no problem there.also the statue actually looks good with the stripe surpisingly.

smokytopaz...I like what you have done so far,your home has a quaint homey feel to it.I dont feel overwhelmed with patterns or colors..the only suggestions i will make are try placing your pot rack directly above the stove and see if there are some curtains that go well with those windows in kitchen.and try a square area rug at front door or a t least see if the oval looks betterOther than that,i say great job so far.Helpful hint..to make your shower look less inconspicuos,you can drag your wallcovering pattern to it and change the back and then drag floor pattern to it and change floor of shower..optional,just food for thought.

wolfspryte...of the pics you posted,i must say you have a knack for decor,you did a great job there.I see your start to the homework.i like your take on the floorplan,nice with the addition of dormers.

Httddy7..the pergola looks great on the front and if you choose to do so,you can use moveobjects on cheat and place heather plants on top of it so that you have an Ivy look creeping around on it.

Lilsapphire..while your yellows are little bright for my taste,mainly bedroom #1,i think you did very well with them..if you havent uploaded yet,you could always tone down the brightness a little,BUt thats just a taste thing.Your counter tops definetly look better..This home has turned out very well,whenits uploaded i will be giving it a rec.

Juliababyjen ...I love the design of your WIP..Now this may sound petty,but the onlt thing that stands out is your square plants scattered..there should be some with rounded corners,use MOO and group them betterespecially along your walkway and around the tree.Soory,thats all that i can see wrong so far that needs improvement.

To everyone else who has already uploaded your homes,i did give you recs.Congrats.
    edited December 2009
    SmokyTopaz wrote:
    Hi! Assignment 2 piccys.

HEX: #E9E0D1
    #91A398
    HEX: #33605A
    HEX: #070001
    HEX: #68462B

cobblestone jazz
    by mravka(7421 Views)

plus #2A1B00

1zvcxw3.jpg
    35nc00z.jpg
    2vw9zk0.jpg
    200cxfr.jpg
    712xck.jpg

Hi Smoky,

http://www.colourlovers.com/palette/41805/cobblestone_jazz

I like your colour choice. I love the quilt pattern, but I think the rugs clash a little with it. The kitchen and living room are really nice. Have you done the bathroom yet? I'll need to see a aerial view and the bathroom.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
    edited December 2009
    SmokyTopaz wrote:
    oops! Part 2
    dndqbt.jpg
    2eoidxi.jpg
    2aah402.jpg
    1055zc7.jpg
    vpdpb6.jpg

Now to read the rest of the forum!

Okay now I have it all. I would suggest the change on the rug in the bedroom, but you can move on to assignment 3.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
    edited December 2009
    SmokyTopaz wrote:
    Forgot to say I did use move objects, the flowers on the top of the veranda roof and various decorative bits to force them to go where I wanted them, I did not use it on 'usable' things like bookcases. I don't think she can use the bike though as I wanted it to lean on the front wall.

Now you are asleep and I am awake and I really want to do the garden, so I'll go and read all that stuff.

Magician! I love your castle, I need fairy tale outfits now for my sims! Knights in armour, ladies in swirly dresses and hmm horses! As if.

MW, in your luxury house there are white circles round the lights in Build and buy mode, I guess that is buydebug, but what are they for?

Hi Smoky, the round and square things are invisible lights.

MerryWiddow
  • nam24601nam24601 Posts: 650
    edited December 2009
    Okay, after tallying up all the votes, I have decided on a cover pic and completed my homework. :)

The Little Cottage That Could

nam24601-this is the house that I build for Builders' 101.
    1br, 1ba, study, kitchen, living room. Beautifully decorated
    and fully landscaped with pond, outdoor eating area, grill
    and picnic area. Includes a greenhouse with plenty of gardening
    space. Enjoy! :)

Original address: 13 Skyborough Blvd.
    Sunset Valley
    Price: 144,181

[img]http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv183/nam24601/Sims3/Screenshot-4-1.png "height=450""width=600"[/img]

Link to download:
    http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=1672967

Link to story:
    http://nam24601.wordpress.com/2009/12/09/the-little-cottage-that-could/

Link to thread:
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/0/140770.page#1683018
    edited December 2009
    nam24601 wrote:
    Okay, so thank you to everyone who commented on my pics. I took all your suggestions and tried to incorporate them into my decision. So guess what I came up with? More pics of course! lol. Please let me know if you think one of these or one of the originals would be better. Thanks. :)
    *EDIT: I tried to make them show up a bit smaller so we have a better idea of how they will look on the exchange. Also, I couldn't duplicate pic 6 in daytime entirely, but I did the best I could.
    Pic 1:

[img]http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv183/nam24601/Sims3/Screenshot-5b.png "height=112""width=150"[/img]
    Pic 2:

[img]http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv183/nam24601/Sims3/Screenshot-49b.png "height=112""width=150"[/img]
    Pic 3:

[img]http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv183/nam24601/Sims3/Screenshot-4-1.png "height=112""width=150"[/img]

Hi Nam, I like pic 1. It is the closest to the house and shows some garden.

MerryWiddow

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top