Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

just can't get into jungle adventure at all, what you you do to make it enjoyable?

Please,thank you in advance.
Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

Comments

• PastelMermaidPastelMermaid Posts: 1,298 Member
    I tend to come up with a story of sorts - I'm rubbish with screenshots and stuff like that and getting the best photos but I'm writing a story along with one of my families at the moment (I haven't posted it because lack of photos and it's probably a pile of rubbish) :smiley: one of my sims kids is going to be a full time "explorer" - have a "trailer" esk house and travel back and forth between selvadorada and his little place (visiting family etc)
    tumblr_nvqukkenkr1udwsc5o7_250.gif

"wahoo" - aquaman
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    For me, I really wanted to complete all the collections (relics, artifacts etc). I also find the world really pretty, particularly with seasons. Having Outdoor Reatreat helps because you can take a few sims into the jungle and camp there overnight.

I’ve also heard of people taking some sims into the jungle with no supplies to see who dies first.

Oh my gosh. Now we are about to get celebrities we can totally recreate “I’m a Celebrity Get me Out of Here!” (Not sure if anyone outside of the UK watches that though).
  • jooxisjooxis Posts: 515 Member
    I made an adventurer/archaelogist sim who would make a living solely off of artifacts found in the jungle. I'd send her on missions to find as many rare artifacts as possible and then I had her "sell" the artifacts to my richest sim (who has a big mansion and a showroom/mini-museum for rare artifacts) using the gift item/gift money system. Seemed to be the only appealing way for me to use the pack, personally, since I don't like the idea of sending a family vacation out into a jungle tomb...
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    jooxis wrote: »
    I made an adventurer/archaelogist sim who would make a living solely off of artifacts found in the jungle. I'd send her on missions to find as many rare artifacts as possible and then I had her "sell" the artifacts to my richest sim (who has a big mansion and a showroom/mini-museum for rare artifacts) using the gift item/gift money system. Seemed to be the only appealing way for me to use the pack, personally, since I don't like the idea of sending a family vacation out into a jungle tomb...
    Oh yeah, the museum is a good one too. I made a Museum room for the treasures found in Selvadorada. All the gold is very pretty.
    @MaggieMarley I LOVE the Celeb get me Out of Here idea... why hadn't I thought of that :blush: that would be such a good scenario or like the island with bear grylls or something...

"wahoo" - aquaman
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,881 Member
    @MaggieMarley I LOVE the Celeb get me Out of Here idea... why hadn't I thought of that :blush: that would be such a good scenario or like the island with bear grylls or something...

That IS a great idea! :) And I <3 Bear Grylls :) (also love Jason Momoa ... what a guy)

Also, I'm currently building a museum, or rather filling it. All collections will eventually end up there. Including the Selvadoradian treasures, be they rare or not. It will have the Everything. All the artifacts and treasures (and one of each of the survival supplies) will be featured.

I do most stuff that can be done in Selvadorada. Fishing, collecting, treasure hunting, leveling skills like dancing and guitar/singing. I never take a family, though, two sims tops. Preferably a single sim. Then I have less to concentrate on. Its also a hassle to have them follow eachother all the time. Might as well keep the rest at home, while traveling with one.

The temple is the ultimate goal, I suppose. Once you've seen the other "hidden" places, there's really not much to do with them, except the odd chest with treasures a couple of places. It really depends what your sim likes to do. If they are outdorsy, fishing and collecting stuff is good. If they are the social types, hanging out by the Cantina with the locals would be the thing. Loner or bookworm? Stay home and read, I don't know....

Read some guides, watch some Lets Plays, see if those give you ideas. Selvadorada can become repetitive, but that's really the rest of TS4 as well :smiley:
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    I'd say what you need is the right sim. A sim you will enjoy playing, including their goal/motivation.
    I have 3 different approches to that pack:

1) Knowledge
    Mortimer Goth goes to study archaeology. He doesn't care about treasure (and donated as soon as he could), he really goes to Selvadorada in the pursuit of knowledge. Bella is with him (they made a great team skill-wise) but she is only interested in the magic relics.
    When they go back, it's to: find artifacts in dirt piles to donate and hopefully find gold relics as wooden ones deteriorate.
    They stay in a vacation house near the jungle and almost never go to town.
    Cassandra goes with them to take photos of the jungle (it's her hobby) and Alex is along for the ride as a scout.

2) Culture
    The Caliente sisters go one day at a time to get back to their roots. They eat, party, chill around a pool, meet people.
    They have not once stepped foot in the jungle, only stay near the marketplace, that's why I only do a day at a time: they go on the weekend so they don't need time off, and they go back home before I have time to get bored.

3) Jungle Fever ?
    Akira Kibo has the new Explorer aspiration and loves camping in the jungle. He has his camping equipment, he actually needs to stock up before going (unlike the Goths, Bella's herbalism makes insects a joke) and he has a lover who's a stall vendor. If I could he would probably live in Selvadora but for now he goes home to work for a few days and leaves again right away.
    Temple runs are not his priority (too easy to get rich he wouldn't need to work anymore), he just likes ... being one with nature and going to town to buy supplies and socialize every other day.
  • Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    I have 1 Sim that I created in CAS and her backstory revolves around Selvadorada....being adopted, finding out where she's from Selvadorada and going to learn more about her ancestry and her history. It made it more enjoyable to have a story in mind for my Sim. I love to take her on 2-3 day trips exploring, meeting the locals, etc. I also use it as a honeymoon spot sometimes for my newlyweds. I actually really like Jungle GP...I have yet to complete the collections, so I'm in the process of trying to do that.
    I have 1 Sim that I created in CAS and her backstory revolves around Selvadorada....being adopted, finding out where she's from Selvadorada and going to learn more about her ancestry and her history. It made it more enjoyable to have a story in mind for my Sim. I love to take her on 2-3 day trips exploring, meeting the locals, etc. I also use it as a honeymoon spot sometimes for my newlyweds. I actually really like Jungle GP...I have yet to complete the collections, so I'm in the process of trying to do that.

I have a backs story that I build on every time I play and see where my sims take it themselves and add anything that happens - like my foundation family, one son is active and outdoorsy so I've intended on him becoming an explorer and spending most of his time in Selvadorada - he will be in a small "caravan/trailer" lot and have all his findings back home and when he's not away exploring the jungle he can authenticate artefacts and write books about his travels to make some money to keep going. Even take an easel with him and paint areas of Selvadorada

"wahoo" - aquaman
  • DBClaytonDBClayton Posts: 74 Member
    JA is my favorite pack (including EPs) because the collectibles are ones I actually like displaying (MySims and snow globes go straight to the trash). If you like challenges, try to level up your skills and become an archaeologist. Collect your findings and open a museum back in one of the other worlds. Archaeology is quite possibly the most lucrative hobby in the game, so theoretically your sim could live in Selvadorada (just continue extending your vacation in perpetuity).
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    I once planned a whole 8-man crew (and 8-woman crew for later) that would travel to Selvadorada and explore the new world (and all its dangers) to pursue treasure or other things. But then I learned more about the pack and got to test it myself with a couple sims and after analysing the minimal threat of danger I experienced, I sorta abandoned that project almost entirely. They still sit in a test save waiting to see if I will still do it or not.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    with the new pack that is on the horizon, you could make a sim based on the likes of steve irwen (crazy as he was, his love of nature and the natural world will be missed) or those who have attempted to take up his mantle after his passing, like coyote peterson (hosts the brave wilderness youtube channel). having a drone follow them along while you search for the (sadly, not interactable) lizards, snakes, alligators and multitude of birds.

can even expand that to checking out the birds, rodents and such in granite falls. hmm...now i think i'm going to have to do this in my own game...

and i've done pretty similarly to @happyopi except with vastly different sims, mostly of my own making (and some townies). for me, it's almost always about the story potential and i tend to not go there, at least for long, on sims that i don't feel have some kind of connection to the place, whatever it may be. i'll send some (like the landgraabs) there just to take vacations and get away from it all, and have turned the romantic lot on the jungle side of things into a large romantic jungle cabana in a tree that gets used for honeymoon trips

i've got a vampire scientist i had decided had dabbled in archaeology and anthropology nearly a century ago and had him fund a trip to selvadorada back then (really, i brought him and his wife and cheated a selvadoradan native into their household to play tour guide/photographer. the wife worked on her photography and stuff but i always kept her out of the scene during my 'this happened in the '20s' bits). the guide died to a poison dart and haunts him to this day, as a member of the household. he felt responsible so accepts the haunting and they've become good friends over the decades. barnabus has donated a lot of his discoveries to various museums over these decades, too, and the archaeology wing in one of my museums has some of his discoveries as well as some sepia photos of him and his guide back when the guide was still alive

another vampire household of mine visits on occasion for a totally different reason, one of them is a 'witch'. she's mastered herbalism from outdoor retreat and is collecting (preferrably gold) relics to help her bless or curse various sims as she sees fit

yet another vampire (...hey, i like vampires) who swears she's not a vampire, but a divine being blessed (or cursed) by the dragons from her (chinese) culture actually feels a weird kinship with the place, too, even though she's never been there and likely will never visit. she's got some artifacts and a few other things her underlings have brought back and doesn't exactly understand why she feels a bond with them. (the being that turned her into a vampire was actually based on a mayan spirit). i pretend that some of the temple guardians are associated with related spirits, though haven't done anything with that in my game yet. just something in the back of my mind whenever i see one

i also have a plantsim explorer who goes back to the jungle all the time because he's absolutely hooked on the vibrant greenery and the bright, bright sun and even the thunderstorms. he also likes collecting local legends and tales both from the native sims and native plants of the area, possibly to put into print

also have several sims with some bit of selvadoradan heritage, or sometimes just latin in general that i like to have visit to learn the foods/drinks and pick up some aspects of the culture. especially the dancing

and, per usual, i've revamped every single lot we can in the game (the trailhead actually was barely touched, just had camping gear and pet-related stuff added in. including a wooden bathtub for washing the dog) and those changes help a lot. like the cantina is huge and gorgeous now, with decor including day of the dead stuff spread around, two areas for musicians to perform, a dance floor and more. it's also got pet bowls, toys and litterboxes as well as a set of monkey bars, toys, stuffed animals and such for kids and toddlers

the one that helps me the most is a restaurant i placed in the lot that formerly slept 8 sims near the trailhead. i keep waffling on whether it's an actual converted temple or just designed to look at one, but that isn't really important to me, at least currently. it's set up to have all the selvadoradan cuisine as well as all the mexican options from city living, plus other things that sound like they should fit, such as fish tacos, ceviche and chips, or such. since it's in selvadorada, i can't have my sims visit it unless they're on vacation in the jungle, but townies can, and do, invite them to a meal there fairly often. which i find nice (i have a similar setup in granite falls)
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    my sims seem directionally challenged . i have them go there and no matter which way i go no jungle. on the brightside they stay alive. this my 4th legacy attempt with this family.
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    I've only been to Selvadorada twice. The first time was with my sort of witch sims who explored some temples and also spent time with the locals. The treasure hunting part suited them well, so I will likely bring them back at some point. The second time was when my sim couple wanted to spend some time together with no kids. They didn't set a foot to the jungle, but enjoyed the atmosphere otherwise. They weren't the type to go to the Granite Falls and it was nice to have an alternative option.

I think JA has more potential than what I've done, so reading this thread for inspiration. I definitely want to get more involved with the skeletons and also edit the lots at some point.
    I love the totem things you can make and with the different jewel refinements they have different blessings and curses which - outside of selvadorada can be hilarious

"wahoo" - aquaman
  • Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member

I have a backs story that I build on every time I play and see where my sims take it themselves and add anything that happens - like my foundation family, one son is active and outdoorsy so I've intended on him becoming an explorer and spending most of his time in Selvadorada - he will be in a small "caravan/trailer" lot and have all his findings back home and when he's not away exploring the jungle he can authenticate artefacts and write books about his travels to make some money to keep going. Even take an easel with him and paint areas of Selvadorada

@PastelMermaid - That's such an awesome backstory! Has he already started his travels to Selvadorada?

@PastelMermaid - That's such an awesome backstory! Has he already started his travels to Selvadorada?

Awh thank you! Once he aged into a teen, he and his dad took a mini trip there and explored the jungle (gave him the Jungle Explorer aspiration) and started on all the skills you can get - the culture, archaeology skills.. and additional ones that pop up in the temple - I will work on his writing when he's home and remember to take an easel with me next trip, maybe he will take his mum this time? (she's a writer)

"wahoo" - aquaman
  • hmae123hmae123 Posts: 1,912 Member
    marcel21 wrote: »
    Please,thank you in advance.

If you have get famous you could search the world for relics and stuff to put in your sims vault room.
    You could also change the world into a vacation destination by changing all the lots in the world into cute beach home type of rentals, maybe even a large house that looks like a hotel, you could add spas, bars. restaurants or clubs and a huge pool lot. Then send your family there to get away from the winter once for a few days.
  • Rae357Rae357 Posts: 922 Member
    I like getting the artifacts and either decorating my house or making a retail store. With the new ability to give your unemployed sims a title you could make them a Historian or Archaeologist. I think they may be able to write books and give lectures?
  • imhappyimhappy Posts: 1,988 Member
    I don't know why, but I love this pack. I bought it 4 days ago on a twenty percent off sale and I've played it exclusively every day since.

Akira and his wife Candy have gone 4 times through the jungle and are collecting all the relics and stuff. I love that every time I go, there are new paths and things to find.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    I have a sim that has the aspiration for archaeology so send her into the jungles periodically to explore and get artifacts. I try to keep the trips short about 4 days or so, which makes for several trips to hit all the sites. Sim is now level 10 archaeologist and expert excavator, so she has lots of things to work with back home, both what she's found and what the institute sends. Income is decent, mini museum is growing, and so far there has been enough to do.
  • TiarellaTiarella Posts: 661 Member
    @kalaksed
    i also have a plantsim explorer who goes back to the jungle all the time because he's absolutely hooked on the vibrant greenery and the bright, bright sun and even the thunderstorms.

Ahhhh, a reason to have a plantsim, at last! Thank you. I tried one once, was bored out of my mind. Now I can imagine a story for the plantsim: it was a Selvadoradan (sp?) plant that was cursed/transformed into a humanoid. I'll have to work out the details...once I get the pack. I missed the sales for JA, and have been looking ever since (I wait for half-off, so I may be waiting a long time yet.) But now, thanks to you, I have a 3rd sim whose story will be tied to JA. Thank you!

And thanks to everyone else, too, for interesting ideas! :smiley:
  • LadyBonnabellLadyBonnabell Posts: 8 New Member
    I havnt experimented with this one much either but currently I'm trying to do a master playthrough and get my sim leveled up in every skill and play though all the aspirations to get the full sim experience then maybe turn it into a legacy playthrough who knows. I love the idea of putting resturaunts or maybe even a little touristy clothing store!