Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

It is about time that Sims took more notice of their environment

Remember the first time you played The Sims and the happened to like nearly everything brought for them? I thought that was cool as well.

The thing is I could place a bath in the kitchen, or a toilet in the living room and a Sim would only complain if they wanted to use it and had to shoo other Sims out of the room. That is just good old Sims humour but the thing is I want my Sims to question it. 'Why have you placed that there?'

'Why have you placed the bath next to the fridge?'

This evening I have been messing around on 'rightmove' seeing random houses for sale. You get the usual variety, three bed houses, usually all the mod cons but tonight I found this real gem:

Four bed Victorian town house in Brighton in the UK.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detailMatching.html?prop=71863967&sale=55790456&country=england

7150_8456683_IMG_01_0000_max_656x437.jpg

In the popular Queens Park area the house goes for £510,150.

I looked at the plans first to see if it would fit my standards as though I wanted to buy the house.

45467629_10155925237686497_4579071419761033216_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&oh=32ccc343c41dd7df2c231d2d83000bf9&oe=5C8745CE

So we seem to have the usual, living room, dining room, kitchen, four bedrooms, WC, another kitchen... and something seems to be missing...

Where is the bathroom?

I go and look at pictures to investigate:

Well it looks old fashioned! I am in for a treat with this one!

7150_8456683_IMG_14_0000_max_656x437.jpg

Fireplace added in the 1930s as was common with this type of house

7150_8456683_IMG_03_0000_max_656x437.jpg

Well I found the toilet, nice and old fashioned, I would buy this house for that alone!

7150_8456683_IMG_09_0000_max_656x437.jpg

And here is the kitchen. But what is that? A Belfast sink? And that shower? Is this being used as the bathroom?

7150_8456683_IMG_07_0000_max_656x437.jpg

Close up of the Belfast and side draining board and what looks like an open fireplace!

7150_8456683_IMG_08_0000_max_656x437.jpg

Meanwhile back upstairs we have the cooker along with a later sink unit (ghastly 1970s or 80s) and an exposed mains water tank, the central heating header tank and boiler!

7150_8456683_IMG_12_0000_max_656x437.jpg

Of course the house has the original doors as well.

7150_8456683_IMG_18_0000_max_656x437.jpg

This house is a complete time warp! The house I used to live in had no bathroom when my parents first brought in but that was back in 1985. That was old fashioned then but this is 2018 and I did not think that there would be anything like that in the UK!

So what has this got to do with The Sims again?

Well I want to build this house myself in The Sims and I want my Sims to wander around and then turn to me and ask 'why is my house like this? What are you thinking!'

I want my Sims to be in tune to their environment so that if I throw them back to the old days they will no about it. If we get that in The Sims then I know that we have made it! :smiley:
Simbourne
screenshot_original.jpg

Comments

• BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    I enjoyed the pics, anyhow. :)
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    I would love this
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @BlkBarbiegal Thanks for the comment :smile:

@filipomel I would love that nice old toilet in The Sims :wink: You can get one for TS3 in TSR I think
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I like those pictures.

I love how in the earlier games sims would immediately check out new stuff and react positively or negatively.
    @MidnightAura Thanks for the comments :smile: I always remember one time I brought a Sim nothing but got him a job straight away. He actually liked the car pool lol
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Simulator4Simulator4 Posts: 652 Member
    I like those pictures.

I love how in the earlier games sims would immediately check out new stuff and react positively or negatively.

Yeah, until it got annoying and required a no autonomous mod. :)
  • micheleimichelei Posts: 422 Member
    I would really love to see sims react to and explore their environments more. I would especially enjoy seeing it when they move into a new home. I do a lot of rags to riches style play and it is always a little disappointing when I finally move them into their dream home and there is no reaction at all. I know it sounds silly but I want jumping up and down, hands clapping and maybe actual squealing with excitement. Then I want to see them running from room to room with excitement or possible disappointment depending on the house.
  • ThisISMariaThisISMaria Posts: 104 Member
    That was beautiful. I really support the idea that you project.
    Cute-Russian-Girl-Smiles-Waves-For-The-Camera-Russia-At-The-2014-Fifa-World-Cup.gif
    @michelei Sims should be able to work out how big their house is as soon as they move in. A small house should make them feel claustrophobic especially if there is a lot of other Sims around

@ThisISMaria Thanks for the comment and welcome to the forums :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,210 Member
    edited November 2018
    Nice pics.

I miss how in the Sims 3 the sims would immediately let me know if a room was unfinished. Now I have to look around and check that all the walls were painted. Also they reacted when all the walls were down. I remember once I didn't realize part of a bathroom was exposed until I saw my sim's mood. We definitely need these reactions back.
    image.png
    @SimTresa I found it annoying having to actually furnish the rooms when TS3 first came out. Also they don't like the dark so I always had to keep updating my rooms for them lol
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    My grandpa's large family lived in a house like that in Queen's Park in when I found them listed in the 1911 Census. Probably had outside toilets then. Might even be his house! Hugely expensive now though and probably divided, or to be divided, into flats at exorbitant rents as in part of Westminster Council area. Good luck if decorating. :smile:
  • SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,210 Member
    @SimTresa I found it annoying having to actually furnish the rooms when TS3 first came out. Also they don't like the dark so I always had to keep updating my rooms for them lol

I still tend to use bright lights, after getting used to making sure there were plenty of lights for them. It's easer for me to see what I'm doing that way, and bright screenshots look better, so it's not too big a deal.
    image.png