Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

do the gurus actually look at this forum?

Comments

• HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I didn't mean to imply that you asked something like that @Iguess66 it was just an example of what I see that happens, and welcome :)
    egTcBMc.png
  • geminiagregeminiagre Posts: 6,918 Member
    edited November 2018
    Well I thought most of the Gurus are developers, and their job is to work on the game. It's not their job to moderate/chit chat in the forums. I'm pretty sure they have other people to keep an eye on the forums and pass the info to them. And as far as I know, when they do show up in the forums (or twitter) it's on their free time. The only reason they are more active on twitter , it's because it's easier for them. I've seen many Gurus tweeting away and answering any question they can on their launch break, while commuting back and forth from work , or when they are back home and instead of relaxing with their families watching tv, they just hang out on twitter communicating with us. As someone stated above , twitter is not a forum , it's a bunch of little tweets. And that is exactly the point. It's easier and faster and usually can even get immiediate. The fact that we don't see them much here, doesn't mean they aren't lurking around. But it's way easier for them to read a bunch of 280 characters tweets , instead of going through pages and pages of esseys, as they usually do that on their FREE time.
  • wormstache999wormstache999 Posts: 477 Member
    I'm grateful for the honesty, so thank you for that, Kate :smile:

But it's still disappointing to know that SimGurus officially pay more attention to the Twitter fanbase with their 280 character limit than the official forum here where devoted fans with thousands of previous posts are coming up with all these great and detailed ideas including pictures, solutions and unique thoughts, but now we know it really is a matter of luck if your post gets noted :neutral: It leaves a bad taste in my mouth tbh.
  • DreamaDoveDreamaDove Posts: 393 Member

But it's still disappointing to know that SimGurus officially pay more attention to the Twitter fanbase with their 280 character limit than the official forum here where devoted fans with thousands of previous posts are coming up with all these great and detailed ideas including pictures, solutions and unique thoughts, but now we know it really is a matter of luck if your post gets noted :neutral: It leaves a bad taste in my mouth tbh.

Well, we were recently discussing the value of random bellyaching vs a critique, and a critique--which is more valuable--usually longer.

Apparently, that means it probably won't be seen. I know the gurus complain about the complaints and being unable to make the community happy, but maybe since most they pay attention is the short bursts of anger on twitter instead of the more thorough explanations here, they liken the unhappy parts of the community akin to children throwing tantrums instead of adults unhappy with a product with valid criticism.

it's technically more easy for them to pay more attention to Twitter. I mean if you have 10 free mins what would you do? answer 20 different questions on Twitter or skim part of a 10 page thread on one subject? There are poeple who are paid to be in the forums and pass on info to the gurus , and i'm pretty sure that other Game Changers who are active in the forums also pass feedback along. The sims Community is huge, it's not just the forums and Twitter, it's also Facebook, random fansites , other social media, and all sorts of gaming sites and media. They can't possibly pay attention to all of them. If they did they should just stop working on the game all together and address everything that comes up on the internet. I think they pick what more accessible, easy and fast to communicate with as many people of the fan base as possible. And either we like it or not, that's twitter
    geminiagre wrote: »

it's technically more easy for them to pay more attention to Twitter. I mean if you have 10 free mins what would you do? answer 20 different questions on Twitter or skim part of a 10 page thread on one subject? There are poeple who are paid to be in the forums and pass on info to the gurus , and i'm pretty sure that other Game Changers who are active in the forums also pass feedback along. The sims Community is huge, it's not just the forums and Twitter, it's also Facebook, random fansites , other social media, and all sorts of gaming sites and media. They can't possibly pay attention to all of them. If they did they should just stop working on the game all together and address everything that comes up on the internet. I think they pick what more accessible, easy and fast to communicate with as many people of the fan base as possible. And either we like it or not, that's twitter

Right, but this is the Official Feedback forum. If people have issues or comments about the game, this is the place to do it. Not anywhere else. It doesn't make sense to listen for feedback somewhere else more than here.
  • ZaszZasz Posts: 806 Member
    That being said, some of our SimGurus do choose to engage here, however it is not expected nor required.
    Am I the only one whos condescension detector is running wild when reading this?
    I know this isn't ideal and we are constantly trying to improve, but with limited resources we are often limited. That being said we will keep trying.
    To interact with the community and forums isnt a new thing, not even for you. This game wasnt released a few months ago. This forum isnt just a few months old. After this long I seriously doubt that you try or even want to improve.
    And communicating PROPERLY with the community has nothing to do with "limited resources". Thats nonsense! hen I look at the twitter account I see mostly nonsensical posts, hardly what could be mistaken for useful information. Someone has much time for putting those videos together but there is no time at all to interact on the official forum? The announcement section here in the forum is dead for weeks, over a year even. So I have a hard time accepting the statement of "we will keep trying" when it seems you arent trying at all.

And yes, you chose to do this job. You posted the above so you are responsible for whats being said, not the shareholders or whoever makes you type what you wrote. Im accountable for what I write just as you are for your text.

It does not take much time for some developers to write more than a few lines about the current state of affairs like the biggest issues that havent been adressed for over a year or similar important topics. Not just announcing another expansion, game or stuff pack. Such things require perhaps an hour per week. And the community spends alot of money to expect a proper treatment like I expect and receive from any other company.
    it's technically more easy for them to pay more attention to Twitter. I mean if you have 10 free mins what would you do? answer 20 different questions on Twitter or skim part of a 10 page thread on one subject?
    Twitter doesnt really allow for any meaningful conversation and many people dont have twitter. If people expect conversations with a company its through the company, not through twitter. Its neat for brief announcements but an actual explaination for events requires a larger text. Facebook can be accessed without an account but only for public accounts/groups. But the facebook page is pretty much dead for years.

So of course the first location people visit is the official page of the company and its forum. Well, for those that understand the concept of forums. The forum can be accessed without an account by EVERYONE. It hurts that I have to mention this.
    There are poeple who are paid to be in the forums and pass on info to the gurus , and i'm pretty sure that other Game Changers who are active in the forums also pass feedback along.
    There is a difference between forum mods and developers. Mods dont have to know the game for the job. The passing of feedback is an unconfirmed rumor in pretty much every game forum where devs arent active. And with the removal of the job of community manager that job is left to the mods... who dont have to even know the game. How the muddpuddle are they supposed to pass on anything? Its like claiming the janitor is assigned to pass on feedback from workers to the higher ups. Its ludicrous!
    The sims Community is huge, it's not just the forums and Twitter, it's also Facebook, random fansites , other social media, and all sorts of gaming sites and media. They can't possibly pay attention to all of them.
    THAT isnt expected nor required of them actually. What is expected is that once they start interacting with the community on their own platform they should continue to do so because evidently that leads to the impression of being ignored. Today its the worst idea to not interact with the community. Ive seen it in other games where the game is liked/loved but the devs are hated for the things they do to the community through the game by ignoring the community.
    This isnt rocket science.

All I like to see is that our feedback isnt just recognized but reflected in future patches and content, not just the promise of alledgedly listening. Its not just in our interest, its in yours too, as a company.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited November 2018
    DreamaDove wrote: »

Right, but this is the Official Feedback forum. If people have issues or comments about the game, this is the place to do it. Not anywhere else. It doesn't make sense to listen for feedback somewhere else more than here.

Twitter and facebook are also listed as Official now. So they are as Official as this forum - plus not all simmers can post here if they have language issues. As you can only speak English here - it is not required on twitter and facebook - those are world wide. Non-english speaking simmers do have some official forums as well - but not all simmers have them. So twitter and Facebook ends up the only places where all simmers can interact with the people who actually make the game - directly.

Think about it - a Guru poll on twitter can get 7000 replies from simmers in 24 hours where as here on these forum they are lucky to get 400-600 replies in a week. You tell me where they are going to seek answers from - the 7000 or just 400.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Twitter and facebook are also listed as Official now. So they are as Official as this forum
    But they arent the same nor do all three serve the same purpose. And the facebook page is dead while spamming useless things just like on twitter. Thats not communicating at all.
    As you can only speak English here - it is not required on twitter and facebook - those are world wide.
    Nope, they are exclusively in english. You think a mandarin speaking simmer gets a reply on the official english speaking twitter feed?
    Non-english speaking simmers do have some official forums as well - but not all simmers have them. So twitter and Facebook ends up the only places where all simmers can interact with the people who actually make the game - directly.
    ALL simmers can access this forum. English is pretty much a must have for communication on the internet and international gaming. And you learn it in pretty much every 1st world country as the first 2nd language. Diverting communication to any outside place is bad because its not communicating. Especially twitter because its more spam than anything else.
    Think about it - a Guru poll on twitter can get 7000 replies from simmers in 24 hours where as here on these forum they are lucky to get 400-600 replies in a week. You tell me where they are going to seek answers from - the 7000 or just 400.
    Which doesnt tell you anything. How many of the simmers dont have twitter or even knew about that poll? If announced ingame or in the origin client you could do polls here where EVERY simmer because it doesnt require anything but the already existing login name and password. And 7.000 simmers on twitter is nothing compared to the amount of people who didnt know about the poll.
  • wormstache999wormstache999 Posts: 477 Member

Twitter and facebook are also listed as Official now. So they are as Official as this forum - plus not all simmers can post here if they have language issues. As you can only speak English here - it is not required on twitter and facebook - those are world wide. Non-english speaking simmers do have some official forums as well - but not all simmers have them. So twitter and Facebook ends up the only places where all simmers can interact with the people who actually make the game - directly.

Sure, you have non-english speaking fans on Facebook and Twitter, but the SimGurus have nothing to do with them. Some of them said a few times to only ask questions in English, so it's unlikely they'll answer you in German, Japanese or French. We're only talking about the communication with the SimGurus here and they only communicate in English.

I think polls here often get buried because not every user uses/visits every discussion category. They could still create the polls here and promote them on social media - This way every user could actually participate and they could reach even more fans.
    How unfair is it that people who actually bought TS4 can't vote on important decisions like the next supernatural lifestage just because they don't have a Twitter account?
    edited November 2018
    Zasz wrote: »
    Twitter and facebook are also listed as Official now. So they are as Official as this forum
    But they arent the same nor do all three serve the same purpose. And the facebook page is dead while spamming useless things just like on twitter. Thats not communicating at all.
    As you can only speak English here - it is not required on twitter and facebook - those are world wide.
    Nope, they are exclusively in english. You think a mandarin speaking simmer gets a reply on the official english speaking twitter feed?
    Non-english speaking simmers do have some official forums as well - but not all simmers have them. So twitter and Facebook ends up the only places where all simmers can interact with the people who actually make the game - directly.
    ALL simmers can access this forum. English is pretty much a must have for communication on the internet and international gaming. And you learn it in pretty much every 1st world country as the first 2nd language. Diverting communication to any outside place is bad because its not communicating. Especially twitter because its more spam than anything else.
    Which doesnt tell you anything. How many of the simmers dont have twitter or even knew about that poll? If announced ingame or in the origin client you could do polls here where EVERY simmer because it doesnt require anything but the already existing login name and password. And 7.000 simmers on twitter is nothing compared to the amount of people who didnt know about the poll.

I have been told by people who experienced these things on this forum.

I have seen posts on twitter to the Guru's in other language myself. So don't tell me English only. Yes the Guru's would rather they used English as not all speak other language - but they post on the twitter poster tweet that they do not speak that language.

Not having twitter is your own fault - it takes no time to sign up to twitter. It is easy as pie. So don't give that excuse.

I post here and I post on twitter. It is not hard to do.

But one thing I know - you want to be heard you have to go where they go - regardless of how you feel about it. We can talk til we are blue in the face here and if it never gets seen by those we need to see it - what is the point?

If I dislike something or like something I will post in both places and in particular to the Guru I think who needs to see it. I almost never not get a reply either on their thread or sent to my own twitter.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

Sure, you have non-english speaking fans on Facebook and Twitter, but the SimGurus have nothing to do with them. Some of them said a few times to only ask questions in English, so it's unlikely they'll answer you in German, Japanese or French. We're only talking about the communication with the SimGurus here and they only communicate in English.

I think polls here often get buried because not every user uses/visits every discussion category. They could still create the polls here and promote them on social media - This way every user could actually participate and they could reach even more fans.
    How unfair is it that people who actually bought TS4 can't vote on important decisions like the next supernatural lifestage just because they don't have a Twitter account?

polls should really just be done at the homepage of the ts4 game. If they want to share a link through twitter, that's fine, but there's no reason to force people to get a twitter account.
  • Kniga_SitaraKniga_Sitara Posts: 414 Member
    Problem on Twitter is that if you are new, someone do not see your tweet! But newbie on forum is no lost!

And why don't they have a twitter account. It is very easy - anyone can do it. Takes no time at all. You cannot blame anyone but yourself if you choose not to have an account.

In dreams - I LIVE!

Ive been told by people who experienced some fuzzy feeling in haunted buildings. Wonna buy a bridge?
    I have seen posts on twitter to the Guru's in other language myself. So don't tell me English only. Yes the Guru's would rather they used English as not all speak other language - but they post on the twitter poster tweet that they do not speak that language.
    They didnt speak the language and told the people in english that they dont speak that language?
    Not having twitter is your own fault - it takes no time to sign up to twitter. It is easy as pie. So don't give that excuse.
    To how many platforms do I have to sign up to get proper information from a company? How much do I need in order to get informations from anywhere but the source? This is ludacrious!
    If I dislike something or like something I will post in both places and in particular to the Guru I think who needs to see it. I almost never not get a reply either on their thread or sent to my own twitter.
    Proves my point. You are less likely to get a response in a tiny tweet than a decent formulated or detailed forum post. One is for spamming tiny events, the other is for communicating. Outsourcing information doesnt work.

Stop defending incompetence!
    edited November 2018

polls should really just be done at the homepage of the ts4 game. If they want to share a link through twitter, that's fine, but there's no reason to force people to get a twitter account.

Well in that case when I asked for the Sims 4 Official homepage - it sent me Here:

https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/store/mac-pc-download-base-game-standard-edition

So you think we should post on Origin? Really?

In dreams - I LIVE!

• TiarellaTiarella Posts: 661 Member

@wormstache999 and @DreamaDove - agreed; I saw a few SimGuru polls I would've liked to participate in, but I couldn't because they didn't post them here.

@Writin_Reg - can't agree with you there. Participating in TS4 polls can legitimately require an EA/Maxis account, but cannot legitimately require an account anywhere else. Or to put it another way, requiring us to give our data to yet another data-collecting corporation in order to have a say in game developments ain't okay.

Zasz wrote: »
    Ive been told by people who experienced some fuzzy feeling in haunted buildings. Wonna buy a bridge?
    They didnt speak the language and told the people in english that they dont speak that language?
    To how many platforms do I have to sign up to get proper information from a company? How much do I need in order to get informations from anywhere but the source? This is ludacrious!
    Proves my point. You are less likely to get a response in a tiny tweet than a decent formulated or detailed forum post. One is for spamming tiny events, the other is for communicating. Outsourcing information doesnt work.

Stop defending incompetence!

I beg your pardon!

In dreams - I LIVE!

edited November 2018
    Tiarella wrote: »

@wormstache999 and @DreamaDove - agreed; I saw a few SimGuru polls I would've liked to participate in, but I couldn't because they didn't post them here.

@Writin_Reg - can't agree with you there. Participating in TS4 polls can legitimately require an EA/Maxis account, but cannot legitimately require an account anywhere else. Or to put it another way, requiring us to give our data to yet another data-collecting corporation in order to have a say in game developments ain't okay.

The SimsVerified account
    @TheSims

Official #TheSims Twitter! If you Tweet us you consent to letting EA include the Tweet & its contents on EA sites and social channels. Need help? Tag @EAHelp
    Redwood City, CA
    TheSims.com

This is from the Sims Twitter page - you do have to have a verified account to post in The Sims official twitter. So EA obvious bought a Official domain or business account for this site to conduct business with their Sims players.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

In dreams - I LIVE!

• MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    But people shouldn’t be forced to have a twitter to feel included. Rather ironic a game that boasts about how inclusive it is pretty much ignores ITS OWN forum. Not very inclusive, it feels like a certain section of the community is being ignored on purpose. I spend a lot of time on gaming community forums for a large variety of games. Forums where devs interact with their fans and get feedback and there is a two way street of dialogue. On the contrary this forum is an echo chamber.

I get that their target is teens, I get that teens prefer social media but surely it can’t hurt to explain things in their own forum? Especially when the info wouldn’t need to be spread out over several tweets but instead in one post. I may use twitter but I shouldn’t need to feel that’s the only way I can give feedback or participate, as I said inclusive it is not.
  • Evie0602Evie0602 Posts: 634 Member
    edited November 2018
    Nvm..
    Post edited by Evie0602 on
    Again... Their job is not to interact with us in forums or social media. Their job is to develop the game. Since they do want to interact with us though , whenever they can even during their free time , they prefer Twitter because it's faster, more personal and takes less time away from their actual job, than skimming through pages and pages of threads .... Even the most active simmer in the forums isn't possible to read and reply to every thread. How do you expect a developer to do that in their lunch break?
    Let's exclude every other media here and keep the forums and Twitter in mind. You have 10 free minutes and you want to spend them interacting with the community.
    Do you go to the forums? Read what first ? In10 mins? You choose feed back... Again.. tens of threads with more than 10 pages each...And what about the other sections why leave those out? Not all forum members post in all sections.
    Or do you go to twitter? Reply to a bunch of tweets directed to you, on different subjects by different simmers. You can also tweet "hey guys I'll be around for 10 mins, hit me with questions" and ALL your followers who are online at the time will see it. If you did that in the forums, how many simmers would see it in 10 mins and ask a question (that doesn't require 5mins to type and read) within those 10 mins the guru will be available? Even if you started a thread do you know how many essay questions would pop up? How much of your free time can you spend on that thread reading all the huge posts and replying to them? That free time is time you'd spend with your family and friends, your launch , toying around with the game and coming up with ideas like fpc and self employment option, napping , watching TV, going to the movies or going for a walk.
    What is your choice? Forums or Twitter?
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Oh it can’t be denied twitter is more convenient. And I agree it’s their job to develop the game primarily and I’m happy to let them get on with it. But I can’t blame people for feeling out the loop for not using twitter. In my experience I’m used to more dev interaction on forums than twitter for example.