Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Creating A Zoo

MadDoctor61MadDoctor61 Posts: 414 Member
edited March 7 in Nominated Threads
Has anybody ever tried to build a zoo? I recently bought 'Pets' and thought it would be interesting to build a zoo to house all the animals I collect. I've already built a Museum for the relics and a Science Centre for rocks, insects etc. I placed a 'park' lot and put cages, terrariums etc to house all the different animals. I couldn't place any. The family bought the zoo, but I still can't place any animals. Has anybody tried to do this before?
Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    edited October 2018
    Real easy

Step 1

Build your zoo build setup how you want it.That means afterwards including bird trees for large birds,cages for small birds,aquariums for fish,terrariums for snake,turtles,or lizards whatever you may use.

Step 2

Change it to a residential lot

Step 3

May be best to use several sims as catchers these will be sims with the collection helper reward that will gather your specimens.Also if doing fish best to have a sim planned ahead of time with any species being used since fish dont escape your sim inventory like minor pets and birds do after X amount of time.Easy to cheat your sims to get collection helper.They will be placed in your zoo build from step 1

Step 4

After catching and placing your critters in cages etc and are happy with it.Edit town hit "split up household" not evict not move out "split up household" you then take all sims in the split out leaving home vacant.You can delete them once split to clipboard

Step 5

Choose that home while still in edit town change it's lot type to community and then small park

Step 6

Save a copy of your lot to the library

You are done you now have a zoo that requires zero upkeep because community lots are self sustaining.They will feed,clean everything the pets there need.Your sims can visit to watch them and the large birds will fly around the room as normal.Any new game/world you start afterwards just plop down the lot from your library everything will be intact.

Example on a small scale

This is still as a residential lot had my sim put these there about 6 sim hours ago.A yellow Chondro Python and a Yellow Naped Amazon

Jo2mhLr.jpg

Added this in case you do not know about community lots,every 24 hours a community lot rids itself of dishes,messes,broken plumbing whatever changed it from default.Purposely leaving this dirty plate on a table before splitting my household and turning it community lot

q9CkEBw.jpg

Changed it to a community lot after splitting my household

3 sim days later had my sim visit the community lot

Happy critters needing nothing

yUfZvax.jpg

The plate of course was gone as expected,granted was gone later the evening of day turned community lot when the reset happens.

JPm5hva.jpg

There you go pretty simple have fun.Anything you want to add later after that edit it in edit town add your popcorn machine,barista bar whatever.Save it to library if you like that version too.

Edit: As mentioned large birds love to fly all around a room and get exercise often before relanding on their perch so be sure to give them room.

Post edited by CravenLestat on
    I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    @CravenLestat Why don't you start a blog with your gameplay tips, your amazing builds, patterns and beautiful sims? You always explain in a way everyone understands, thanks for sharing your experience! :)
    NymlADp.jpg
    @jillbg Why don't you marry me and have my babi.............NVM that was my sim talking he gets carried away. :p

And thank you. <3

DfydFiZ.gif
    Lol, @CravenLestat Starting a blog would definitely be easier! :*
    NymlADp.jpg
    edited October 2018
    @jillbg Here you go :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWP86EvibUo&amp;feature=youtu.be

In case you wanna get crazy with your community lot

DfydFiZ.gif
  • nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    Real easy

Step 1

Build your zoo build setup how you want it.That means afterwards including bird trees for large birds,cages for small birds,aquariums for fish,terrariums for snake,turtles,or lizards whatever you may use.

Step 2

Change it to a residential lot

Step 3

May be best to use several sims as catchers these will be sims with the collection helper reward that will gather your specimens.Also if doing fish best to have a sim planned ahead of time with any species being used since fish dont escape your sim inventory like minor pets and birds do after X amount of time.Easy to cheat your sims to get collection helper.They will be placed in your zoo build from step 1

Step 4

After catching and placing your critters in cages etc and are happy with it.Edit town hit "split up household" not evict not move out "split up household" you then take all sims in the split out leaving home vacant.You can delete them once split to clipboard

Step 5

Choose that home while still in edit town change it's lot type to community and then small park

Step 6

Save a copy of your lot to the library

You are done you now have a zoo that requires zero upkeep because community lots are self sustaining.They will feed,clean everything the pets there need.Your sims can visit to watch them and the large birds will fly around the room as normal.Any new game/world you start afterwards just plop down the lot from your library everything will be intact.

Example on a small scale

This is still as a residential lot had my sim put these there about 6 sim hours ago.A yellow Chondro Python and a Yellow Naped Amazon

Jo2mhLr.jpg

Added this in case you do not know about community lots,every 24 hours a community lot rids itself of dishes,messes,broken plumbing whatever changed it from default.Purposely leaving this dirty plate on a table before splitting my household and turning it community lot

q9CkEBw.jpg

Changed it to a community lot after splitting my household

3 sim days later had my sim visit the community lot

Happy critters needing nothing

yUfZvax.jpg

The plate of course was gone as expected,granted was gone later the evening of day turned community lot when the reset happens.

JPm5hva.jpg

There you go pretty simple have fun.Anything you want to add later after that edit it in edit town add your popcorn machine,barista bar whatever.Save it to library if you like that version too.

Edit: As mentioned large birds love to fly all around a room and get exercise often before relanding on their perch so be sure to give them room.

Do you also place spawners for the smaller animals? I've done that, and no need for the cages.

(I have a toad couple who are living in an old rundown house I put spawners for roaches in. And I've added insect spawners to that mansion that is all rundown).

edited October 2018
    @nickibitsward Yupp used spawners for my bird Sanctuary build.I used the domes from Lunar Lakes as a place to visit and catch exotic birds.Set it up inside realistically like a jungle.Was a conversation a while back with Charlottesmom about it cause she loves them and is a RL large bird owner.The spawners critters dissaprear and crawl on the ground.

And used the dome recently-ish for a water park.With a swimming pool,sprinklers,waterslides and summer concession.I love building community lots.

U114gLX.png

DfydFiZ.gif
  • ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    @CravenLestat Very very cool. Thank you!
    @CravenLestat Lovely video! :D And great idea to use the dome! :)
    NymlADp.jpg
  • nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    @nickibitsward Yupp used spawners for my bird Sanctuary build.I used the domes from Lunar Lakes as a place to visit and catch exotic birds.Set it up inside realistically like a jungle.Was a conversation a while back with Charlottesmom about it cause she loves them and is a RL large bird owner.The spawners critters dissaprear and crawl on the ground.

And used the dome recently-ish for a water park.With a swimming pool,sprinklers,waterslides and summer concession.I love building community lots.

U114gLX.png

I've used the dome as a butterfly/insect park with a pool and fish. I would like to add birds as well.

• IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    edited November 2018
    I modified the butterfly esplanade from Bridgeport to make a butterfly garden with the fairy arboretum inside, and changed all the spawners to the rare, medium, and epic ones, including the ones for the zebra butterfly and other special ones. That's mostly so my sims who do alchemy can go there for the hard to find fireflies they need for elixirs. I've never built anything else under one of the domes. I didn't know you could put a door in the side, or I might have done more with them before this.
    edited November 2018
    IreneSwift wrote: »
    I modified the butterfly esplanade from Bridgeport to make a butterfly garden with the fairy arboretum inside, and changed all the spawners to the rare, medium, and epic ones, including the ones for the zebra butterfly and other special ones. That's mostly so my sims who do alchemy can go there for the hard to find fireflies they need for elixirs. I've never built anything else under one of the domes. I didn't know you could put a door in the side, or I might have done more with them before this.

@IreneSwift Those are the Lunar Lakes domes,the better superior ones made with the entrances.They are actually called "Visions" "Memories" I assume replicating the holodeck devices from Star Trex where you are in a fake hologram world.In LL they have several tiny setups of different sims 3 worlds in the domes go look at the names of the lots.Kinda cool

If you do not know how to start from scratch just edit an existing LL dome and save it to your library.They have big wide openings and you can also live in them and I even build houses inside they can be used as residential. :p

Use the Lunar Lakes domes they are way!!!! better

See the entrance,and this is a house being built inside.My sim lives here this dome was placed in Lucky Palms

7Sm0jwe.png
    Post edited by CravenLestat on

DfydFiZ.gif
    edited November 2018
    See

This is the actual lots real lot names,time capsule like captures of the past since Lunar Lakes is in the future.

Memories Of Sunset Valley

4q14Zr0.jpg

Memories of Riverview

fSVOph2.jpg

Memories of Twinbrook

mtSUwcz.jpg

Memories of Hidden Springs "Hence the pine trees"

RJZeHIV.jpg

Also cool to note a lot of LL residents are future descendants of townies from different worlds.If you study the bios it is one big connection

And confirmed by a guru that is the very same Bella Goth buried in the Moon's Shadow cemetery.Gross and shriveled up and zombie like but is Bella Goths corpse and she was after all abducted by aliens and had her traits rearranged.

Where's Bella book ring a bell

DfydFiZ.gif
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,119 Member
    BRILLIANT @CravenLestat !! :star:
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited November 2018
    That is such an amazing idea, why did I never think of that :open_mouth: Thanks so much for all the awesome tips how to do it @CravenLestat ! One question, while collecting the small animals you’ll need a place to store them I presume? Because they will run if you keep them in your inventory?
    5JZ57S6.png
    edited November 2018
    @JoAnne65 With your place built and cages set how you want remember you are putting sims there residential but temporary.They are the catchers and the best way to catch is cheating of course.

Have the sim with the collection helper reward/also best they have animal lover trait helps befriend stuff.Anywho you have cheats active and example

Collection helper lizards activated

Look on map each lizard tag

Shift Click on ground there hit teleport me here catch it,

Find next lizard tag teleport me here

Repeat repeat repeat

Go to whatever category you are working on.

Can wipe through each pet category spawn fast but if you do a few teleport home put them away in the cages.

Takes no time to fill your zoo unless unlucky and a specific pet does not show but is just luck they will eventually

DfydFiZ.gif
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Thanks, yes, my sims have had that reward for generations, so handy you can move it from one inventory into the other :grimace: Sure going to use your ideas, new goal!
    5JZ57S6.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top