Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Assigning Chairs

I want to have seating assigned at dining tables so that my sims don't just sit on a random chair each time they go to eat, is there a way to do that?
Sims 3 & 4 sim creator and lot builder.
I love my sims and my lots equally. :heart:

Comments

• Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    edited November 2018
    I am not aware of a mod that assigns seats but you could do it manually by using this mod to have a sim serve the meal, pause while you cancel the sims coming to the meal and then click on the plates you would like them to eat from.
  • Options
    HikariTenshihimeHikariTenshihime Posts: 53 Member
    @Mikezumi Thank you! That will help me a lot, and it actually makes sense, too.

And that signature. >->
  • Options
    @HikariTenshihime I use the mod because I like my sims to eat together but unlike you I don't care where they sit as long as they eat at the same time.
    45174798091_b23dbbbcf6_o.jpg

I was having a little fun with my SS and some of my male sim creations ;)
  • Options
    @Mikezumi What I want is for them to eat together too, that is why I wanted seat assignment, otherwise it'd be fine because they wouldn't be eating together.
    I wanted to recreate the thing of the head of the house sitting alone on one end of the table, their spouse on the other end, and the kids on the sides.
  • Options
    @Mikezumi The mod you showed doesn't seem to work for my dining table. It has 8 seats, but my sim serves only 6 servings.
  • Options
    That's odd. How are you calling sims to meal? Are you calling the household to meal or using the option to choose specific sims? Are all sims on the lot when you call them to meal? Have you tested all the chairs?
  • Options
    @Mikezumi I clicked "Call household to meal", there are 4 sim sims (I also have 2 plumbots and I doubt they eat) but there are always 6 dishes served. They are always on the lot when I call them.

And how do I test the chairs?
  • Options
    I don't have plumbots so have no idea if they would be called to meal with the mod. If you only need 4 meals for your sims and 6 meals are being served you should probably use the other option to call specific sims to meals.

Did you want all 8 servings to be served or just four meals for your sims? I only mentioned the chairs because you made it sound like you wanted 8 meals served because there are 8 chairs.

To test chairs just click on them and direct a sim to sit to see if they can get to them.

I can't help you further tonight because I am about to sleep as it is after 11. Good luck!
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    The mod isn't supposed to provide more servings than there are sims to serve. If you have 4 sims to serve, it should provide 4 servings and place the rest of the platter on the table or wherever there is room for it in case anyone wants a second helping. That is, of course, if there are 4 or more servings left in the platter.

It does sound like the 2 plumbots are confusing things and the sims should be Called to Meal by the name list rather than by household.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    @Mikezumi I just thought it was weird because if it was making the sim serve according to chair numbers it'd be 2 less, and if it is serving according to sim numbers (Which seems to be the case based on what you and Igazor said) it's 2 servings too many.
    The chairs work normally.

@igazor I see. I'll do that next time. :)

I was just a bit confused because the sim served only on the wide side of the table instead of the narrow ends where there is 1 chair each.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Each plate of served food is temporarily assigned to a sim being served. This is what makes the mod usually work so well, sims route towards their assigned plates only. We already know what happens if they stampede and several of them end up aiming for the same serving or platter at the same time (that is, no one ends up eating and they all have temper tantrums instead).

As I recall, but I might be mistaken on this, the chairs shouldn't matter. If there are no seats at the table or if the intended chair is blocked by another sim or something, the sims should take their own plates anyway and find somewhere else on the lot like a sofa to sit while eating, or if that's not going to happen then they might eat standing up.

If the point of this is still to force one or two sims in particular to always sit at the "head" of the table on the narrow ends, I don't think it's entirely the right solution. Or at least it's going to take a bunch of click then cancel type of interactions and moving the plates around to get them seated exactly where you want them.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    I wish there was a mod to have ownership for seats, like there is the default "Set Ownership" for beds.
  • Options
    I should have mentioned in my first response to you that you might also need to move plates to the seats you wish to use while you are paused and assigning particular meals to particular sims. Because of the plumbots you will need to call sims to meal using the name list, cancel action when meal appears in their queues, move plates, then direct sims to the meal/chair you wish them to use. It's more fiddling than I would want to do since I rarely control my sims, but if you are already a simmer who controls every moment of their lives it probably isn't that big a deal.
  • Options
    @Mikezumi I like having order in my things and my Sims' lives. :P So yes, I do control everything they do. Rarely I leave them to do what they would autonomously.
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    If you have the same sim always serve the meals, every household member will always sit in the same place. It works that way for my sims, anyway.
  • Options
    McToshMcTosh Posts: 638 Member
    In addition to sitting together I always like to edit the hunger delta in relativity so they take longer to eat, they actually sit and enjoy the meal and converse :D
    ewb7fssg3zet.pngingame: commandermctosh feel free to add ;D
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Glad you're having success with that, but I would have thought that reducing the hunger delta in Relativity would just make them less full after finishing a meal. Each serving of a full meal consists of so many pre-defined "forkfuls" (or think of it as spoonfuls if the meal is served in a bowl rather than a plate), and that number can be changed by way of Retuner thus making mealtimes longer or shorter. I think. But hey, whatever works! :)

Sims lingering around the table chatting more while and when they have just finished eating I thought was a function of how much they like each other. That's actually annoying if the meal is breakfast and I'm trying to get everyone to work/school on time, but that's also a function of the player (me) NOT being a morning person.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    Yeah it doesn't fill them up all the way but I like that, it depends on the quality of the meal and what they're eating though. Though I like it when on a date you have dinner and there's a little room for pudding :) and they seem to take longer to eat. It works just right for me.

Same with fun I always lower fun delta too so it takes longer for fun bar to go up, so they can really spend time with their friends bowling, playing games, watching tv and it doesn't get full after like 5 seconds.
  • Options
    JemkatkJemkatk Posts: 199 Member
    That's actually a really good idea for a mod.. I wonder if that could be implemented.
  • Options
    Jemkatk wrote: »
    That's actually a really good idea for a mod.. I wonder if that could be implemented.

If it does get implemented, I'd like it to be added for Sims 4 too. It's a nice thing.
  • Options
    Jemkatk wrote: »

well i know there's a mod for 'always eat at dining table', so it makes me wonder if it is possible. 'always eat at X chair' 🤔