Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you incorporate faith/religion in the Sims?

Comments

• rabidgummibearrabidgummibear Posts: 79 Member
    @paradiseplanet Look here, amigo. I'll probably get pounced upon for making this assertion, but I'm done being afraid to speak up on this topic. I love The Sims more than any other game franchise and I only want it to expand and defy boundaries. So if you want my honest to goodness opinion, faith and spirituality really need to be addressed as a part of the core game. I mean, c'mon. We make accommodations for gender so why not religion? In terms of gameplay, it could create a major dynamic in how sims interact, especially in romantic relationships and families. It would also make a heckuva lot more sense considering there are ghosts, djinn, mummies, vampires, zombies, witches, etc that are left without any explanation of the higher powers which are so obviously at work in the sim universe. Don't even get me started on the holidays.

You hear me, EA? Religion IS a part of the human experience. So with all due respect, PLEASE honor humanity and help bring The Sims into the 21st century. Shalom.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    Bravo!
  • whimreaperwhimreaper Posts: 361 Member
    I always incorporate religion using clubs from Get Together. I don't have Seasons, yet,but I'm REALLY looking forward to implementing specific traditions once I buy it. Anyway, I find that including familiar elements from my life (like Youth Groups) in the form of clubs helps flesh out the game a lot and gives me a sense of lore behind each character. I predominantly focus on Christianity, so characters that spring from this may be the new Christian who wants to become a Youth Pastor (leader of the group) or a rebel born into a religious family trying to come to terms with their faith. I think adding even more religions and subtleties gives your world character and depth!
  • MuggyQuasarMuggyQuasar Posts: 169 Member
    I like using the Seasons holidays to add religious festivities to my Sims lives. I don't talk much about my faith but I have little nods to it throughout my playthroughs. It's a very personal thing. I would like to see more faith-based content in the Sims but it's a very delicate line for EA to tread. Getting it right would be incredibly hard.
    lgYUYx0.jpg
  • DuendeDuende Posts: 175 Member
    Very beautiful mythology! And I only ever create cults and give nods to the occult. Sometimes I implement churches for stories but with Get Together I make clubs such as secret societies that have sinister aims.
    For Legacies, I usually have them commemorate their ancestors and pay respects to them, very much found in Shintoism and Taoism. Some sims dress up in a sari and I have CC for Sims to wear a kurta, shalwar, dashiki, kimono etc.
    However, religion is a blurry concept that I doesn't dominate Sims' lives. All participate in the holiday traditions in Seasons and it's all well in their world since no one squabbles over beliefs like in real life. For instance, my great great grandmother was East Indian and I still visit Divali (Sometimes spelled Diwali) festivals and enjoy lighting deyas although I'm not Hindu. I'm not Catholic but my Catholic friend and I visit beautiful cathedrals to look at art. My point is, Sims aren't religious at all but they can still appreciate religious aspects and that's enough.
  • SassycottonSassycotton Posts: 438 Member
    It would be easier if it was an actual pack ;)
  • EyeofShaktiEyeofShakti Posts: 304 Member
    Yes I do. I do it because Hinduism is my faith and it is also part of me.
    25up6pu.jpg
  • soko37soko37 Posts: 593 Member
    I have a Jewish/Hindu family. The father is Jewish and the mother dresses in traditional Indian Sari and is Hindu. They have five children lol. I decorate the house for Hanukkah with mostly CC, but basic game does have a few items. My Hindu woman does yoga and meditation and wears a Bindi, but I haven't made custom holidays for them on the calendar. When they got married I put Hindi tatts on her hands and feet. I try.
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    @paradiseplanet Look here, amigo. I'll probably get pounced upon for making this assertion, but I'm done being afraid to speak up on this topic. I love The Sims more than any other game franchise and I only want it to expand and defy boundaries. So if you want my honest to goodness opinion, faith and spirituality really need to be addressed as a part of the core game. I mean, c'mon. We make accommodations for gender so why not religion? In terms of gameplay, it could create a major dynamic in how sims interact, especially in romantic relationships and families. It would also make a heckuva lot more sense considering there are ghosts, djinn, mummies, vampires, zombies, witches, etc that are left without any explanation of the higher powers which are so obviously at work in the sim universe. Don't even get me started on the holidays.

You hear me, EA? Religion IS a part of the human experience. So with all due respect, PLEASE honor humanity and help bring The Sims into the 21st century. Shalom.

And that's why religion is not a core part of the game, because it's the 21st century. The game is flexible enough to allow whoever wants religion to incorporate it somehow but it doesn't force it on anybody. I already dislike seeing religious objects in game using their real life names. It prevents me from using them, even though I would like to use the menorah for example as a normal candle holder, I can't because it's called like the real thing and that makes me feel like I am disrespecting a culture/religion somehow.
    So, I wholeheartedly disagree with you. Plus The Sims is not really a reflection of real life, it's a fantasy. An alternate universe where if there's any god, it's you, the player.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • SerxphicallySerxphically Posts: 19 Member
    I am a Christian but as the Sims 4 is just a game I would incorporate something so important to me like faith/religion.
    everything is neon
  • SerxphicallySerxphically Posts: 19 Member
    ^ wouldn't
    everything is neon
  • Iguess66Iguess66 Posts: 115 Member
    I don't personally but I can see how it would be a challenge.
  • leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    I like using the Seasons holidays to add religious festivities to my Sims lives. I don't talk much about my faith but I have little nods to it throughout my playthroughs. It's a very personal thing. I would like to see more faith-based content in the Sims but it's a very delicate line for EA to tread. Getting it right would be incredibly hard.

Really?
    It is only for jews
    (no the EP, the religious-based items)
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    leo3487 wrote: »

Really?
    It is only for jews

There's also a kinara and the Hindu Diwali assets too.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member

Really?
    It is only for jews

Those 2 are a free update, I'm right?
  • citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member

Really?
    It is only for jews

Diwali assets are in the free holiday celebaration pack I think, the kinara is from Seasons.
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Would I like Sims to look up at me like they did in Sims and S2 and question their Creator's choices for their lives? Yup.

Would I like churches and synagogues and other representations of real life religions? Nope.
  • GracelishGracelish Posts: 114 Member
    edited November 2018
    I love this question, and can't believe I didn't really think of attempting to incorporate faith in my game. Especially with the addition of Seasons and creating your own holidays, it'd be interesting to create some fictional holidays and designate some beliefs to different households. While I have added a church lot and church mod, it hasn't done much. I use the lot for weddings (and even then it's rare because a bunch of weddings in my game occur in parks, etc.) and the church mod, I can honestly say I've used just once due to boredom. However, I have not checked for updates since so I'm not sure if it'll be appealing or not.

Edit: I'd love to come back to this thread with updates if anything changes with the way I play in regard to faith/religion.
    here's hoping we collide
  • ThisISMariaThisISMaria Posts: 104 Member
    I like to prevent some of my characters are uncivilised religious hunters chanting for the rainbow serpent.
    Cute-Russian-Girl-Smiles-Waves-For-The-Camera-Russia-At-The-2014-Fifa-World-Cup.gif
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    citysimmer wrote: »

Really?
    It is only for jews

Diwali assets are in the free holiday celebaration pack I think, the kinara is from Seasons.

Actually both a Menorah and Kinara as well as a "Holiday Tree" are found in the Holiday pack, but then Seasons gave us new versions of these.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • aaronjc123aaronjc123 Posts: 1,117 Member
    I once had a sim with a hijab but that's about it.
  • CeridwenCeridwen Posts: 228 Member
    Quick answer: one one hand, no, I'm an atheist. On the other, I am the Sims' god. They are at the mercy of my whims, not theirs! Bwa-hahaha!
  • citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    citysimmer wrote: »

Really?
    It is only for jews

Actually both a Menorah and Kinara as well as a "Holiday Tree" are found in the Holiday pack, but then Seasons gave us new versions of these.

Oh, didn't know that. :P Thanks
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    I kind of wish we were provided an advent candle wreath and nativity. I understand needing cc for a cross, but those other two are harmless. I am forced to make my own cc for them.
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    edited November 2018
    I kind of wish we were provided an advent candle wreath and nativity. I understand needing cc for a cross, but those other two are harmless. I am forced to make my own cc for them.

Are advent candles 4 candles?
    I just thought of a couple of things that might help for this, only a little though.
    We had a set of candles in the free holiday pack "Four festive candles ho ho ho!"
    iUTrQDA.jpg
    granted you can only light either all of them at the same time or none of them, but at least they look the part.

Another thing I thought you could do is combining 2 sets of the table candles that came with Seasons with the move objects cheat.
    qU155aA.jpg
    On the back you can see the object by itself, and on the front how 2 of them look when combined using moo. At least this way you can light 2 at a time instead of all of them.

But yeah, I see your point. Having a proper advent candle wreath wouldn't by any more intrusive than the menorah and the kinara are.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top