Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 2 Windows 7-10 Fixes

Comments

• Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Hi Everyone when I play the sims 2 the icon disappears after delete the cache flies and then I have task manager running and its says not responding

How much time are you giving this over 10 year old game to start?
  • TheSimsandThewhoTheSimsandThewho Posts: 7 New Member
    [quote="Rflong7;c-16807562"][quote="@TheSimsandThewho;c-16807025"]Hi Everyone when I play the sims 2 the icon disappears after delete the cache flies and then I have task manager running and its says not responding [/quote]

How much time are you giving this over 10 year old game to start?[/quote]

A hour to 10 mins and I delete the cache flies and then the sims 2 doesn't want to work
  • sorsha93sorsha93 Posts: 1 New Member
    Hello! I have problems with saving settings. When I run game again after trying to save them they just go back to original settings. I have windows 7
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone when I play the sims 2 the icon disappears after delete the cache flies and then I have task manager running and its says not responding

How much time are you giving this over 10 year old game to start?

A hour to 10 mins and I delete the cache flies and then the sims 2 doesn't want to work
    sorsha93 wrote: »
    Hello! I have problems with saving settings. When I run game again after trying to save them they just go back to original settings. I have windows 7

Why are you deleting the cache files~ Is there a problem with them?

What have you done to try and run the game besides deleting the cache files?
    Have you edited the graphics rules?
    Have you tried opening it in Window mode? Have you started it as - Run as administrator?
  • TheSimsandThewhoTheSimsandThewho Posts: 7 New Member
    [quote="Rflong7;c-16808668"][quote="TheSimsandThewho;c-16807905"][quote="Rflong7;c-16807562"][quote="@TheSimsandThewho;c-16807025"]Hi Everyone when I play the sims 2 the icon disappears after delete the cache flies and then I have task manager running and its says not responding [/quote]

How much time are you giving this over 10 year old game to start?[/quote]

A hour to 10 mins and I delete the cache flies and then the sims 2 doesn't want to work[/quote]

[quote="sorsha93;c-16808409"]Hello! I have problems with saving settings. When I run game again after trying to save them they just go back to original settings. I have windows 7[/quote]

Why are you deleting the cache files~ Is there a problem with them?

What have you done to try and run the game besides deleting the cache files?
    Have you edited the graphics rules?
    Have you tried opening it in Window mode? Have you started it as - Run as administrator?
    [/quote]

Thank You and I have it running
  • hannashavenhannashaven Posts: 81 Member
    Hi! My game runs fine, although I am having some graphics issues. Instead of black flashing like originally mentioned by OP, I have issues with white flashing. Walls will flash when I moved the camera, making it difficult to build or move a lot. I've turned shadows off and it didn't seem to help. Is there anything else I can try settings wise in game, or should I download graphics rules maker? (On another note, the game runs in a small window despite being on full screen. Anyone know how to make it actually be full screen?) I run on Windows 8.1. Thanks!
    Twitch: casuallywillow
    Hi! My game runs fine, although I am having some graphics issues. Instead of black flashing like originally mentioned by OP, I have issues with white flashing. Walls will flash when I moved the camera, making it difficult to build or move a lot. I've turned shadows off and it didn't seem to help. Is there anything else I can try settings wise in game, or should I download graphics rules maker? (On another note, the game runs in a small window despite being on full screen. Anyone know how to make it actually be full screen?) I run on Windows 8.1. Thanks!

Hi :)

Your graphics card isn't recognized by the game and so you're having problems. Follow the posted suggestions. I'd start with the graphics rules maker.
  • madasheck99madasheck99 Posts: 6 New Member
    So I got the Sims 2 Ultimate Collection through Origin but it gave me the failed to find directx 9.0c error message. I found out online that you can put the game in windowed mode and it will work but is there anyway to fix it so I can play fullscreen? I hate not being able to have the wants and needs tabs up at the same time.
    So I got the Sims 2 Ultimate Collection through Origin but it gave me the failed to find directx 9.0c error message. I found out online that you can put the game in windowed mode and it will work but is there anyway to fix it so I can play fullscreen? I hate not being able to have the wants and needs tabs up at the same time.

Hi :)

Is that all you tried- Window mode? Did you read anything about the Graphics Rules maker or howto edit the Graphics rules/sgr files if you have a very new card?
    > @Rflong7 said:
    > @madasheck99 wrote: »
    >
    > So I got the Sims 2 Ultimate Collection through Origin but it gave me the failed to find directx 9.0c error message. I found out online that you can put the game in windowed mode and it will work but is there anyway to fix it so I can play fullscreen? I hate not being able to have the wants and needs tabs up at the same time.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hi :)
    >
    > Is that all you tried- Window mode? Did you read anything about the Graphics Rules maker or howto edit the Graphics rules/sgr files if you have a very new card?

I tried the Graphics Rule Maker and told it to recognize the Intel graphics but it still wouldn't let me run the game unless I put it in windowed mode.
    > @Rflong7 said:
    > @madasheck99 wrote: »
    >
    > So I got the Sims 2 Ultimate Collection through Origin but it gave me the failed to find directx 9.0c error message. I found out online that you can put the game in windowed mode and it will work but is there anyway to fix it so I can play fullscreen? I hate not being able to have the wants and needs tabs up at the same time.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hi :)
    >
    > Is that all you tried- Window mode? Did you read anything about the Graphics Rules maker or howto edit the Graphics rules/sgr files if you have a very new card?

I tried the Graphics Rule Maker and told it to recognize the Intel graphics but it still wouldn't let me run the game unless I put it in windowed mode.

Did you edit the files yourself? The GRM hasn't been updated in years so it might not recognize or set up your card.
    No I haven't, I'm not sure how to do that.
  • JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    No I haven't, I'm not sure how to do that.

Instructions here: http://simlili.tumblr.com/post/146373494212 The direct X error is becouse the game is not recognizing your graphic card, should not need to put it in window mode. :)
    So I followed all of the instructions and it's still not working. My video card is in the list of recognized cards and I changed the resolutions to fit my screen but it's still not letting me open the game without it being in windowed mode.
    So I couldn't get it to not be windowed mode, and now the game crashes anytime I try to load into a family!
    @madasheck99 Double check everything you did, make sure the files are right. Don't forget you also have to copy the video card files and graphic rules files in the Config folder and place them in the CSConfig folder as well. (Located under the Config folder in your game files)
  • JazxiJazxi Posts: 6 New Member
    I decided to reinstall The Sims 2 recently on my new laptop (1050ti), however I ran into issues with the graphics and screen resolution/size. First the game wouldn't run full screen so I used window mode through properties, then the graphics were low and the screen resolution stuck at 800x600, following other people's advice I installed Graphics Rules Maker and was able to fix the low graphics, however oddly the screen resolution remained the same and wouldn't change no matter what, so I decided to manually do it by editing graphicrules.sgr following a simsvip guide.
    STILL didn't work so I decided to tweak around I guess following people's suggestions in the comments, and now my resolution has gone down and there is no other option other than 320x200, and nothing seems to fix that either, I have repaired and uninstalled but its still stuck (which doesn't make sense, shouldn't it reset to 800x600??) and Graphics Rules Maker hasn't been much help either.

I don't know what to do now, I just want the 800x600 option back at least.
    Jazxi wrote: »
    I decided to reinstall The Sims 2 recently on my new laptop (1050ti), however I ran into issues with the graphics and screen resolution/size. First the game wouldn't run full screen so I used window mode through properties, then the graphics were low and the screen resolution stuck at 800x600, following other people's advice I installed Graphics Rules Maker and was able to fix the low graphics, however oddly the screen resolution remained the same and wouldn't change no matter what, so I decided to manually do it by editing graphicrules.sgr following a simsvip guide.
    STILL didn't work so I decided to tweak around I guess following people's suggestions in the comments, and now my resolution has gone down and there is no other option other than 320x200, and nothing seems to fix that either, I have repaired and uninstalled but its still stuck (which doesn't make sense, shouldn't it reset to 800x600??) and Graphics Rules Maker hasn't been much help either.

I don't know what to do now, I just want the 800x600 option back at least.

Jazxi, go into your graphics rules file in the config file in your documents. Note if you ran graphic rules maker, there will be 2 graphic rules files. One with a .bak at the end (old original one), and one with .sgr at the end. Go into the graphic rules.sgr file. Scroll down about three fourths of the way. You will see a section like this

option ScreenModeResolution
    setting $Low
    uintProp maxResWidth 1920
    uintProp maxResHeight 1080
    uintProp defaultResWidth 1920
    uintProp defaultResHeight 1080

setting $MediumButDefaultLow

setting $Medium

setting $High
    # GraphicsRulesMaker Tweak: Custom maximum resolution
    # GraphicsRulesMaker Tweak: Custom default resolution
    end

Change all your numbers to the ones I have listed above. Save the file before exiting, and make a COPY (do not cut) of the graphic rules.sgr file you altered, and place the copy into the CSconfig file. Located right under the Config file in your documents. Let it override the one in there. Try again and see if you have all the resolutions.
    > @JULES1111 said:
    > Jazxi wrote: »
    >
    > I decided to reinstall The Sims 2 recently on my new laptop (1050ti), however I ran into issues with the graphics and screen resolution/size. First the game wouldn't run full screen so I used window mode through properties, then the graphics were low and the screen resolution stuck at 800x600, following other people's advice I installed Graphics Rules Maker and was able to fix the low graphics, however oddly the screen resolution remained the same and wouldn't change no matter what, so I decided to manually do it by editing graphicrules.sgr following a simsvip guide.
    > STILL didn't work so I decided to tweak around I guess following people's suggestions in the comments, and now my resolution has gone down and there is no other option other than 320x200, and nothing seems to fix that either, I have repaired and uninstalled but its still stuck (which doesn't make sense, shouldn't it reset to 800x600??) and Graphics Rules Maker hasn't been much help either.
    >
    > I don't know what to do now, I just want the 800x600 option back at least.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Jazxi, go into your graphics rules file in the config file in your documents. Note if you ran graphic rules maker, there will be 2 graphic rules files. One with a .bak at the end (old original one), and one with .sgr at the end. Go into the graphic rules.sgr file. Scroll down about three fourths of the way. You will see a section like this
    >
    >
    > option ScreenModeResolution
    > setting $Low
    > uintProp maxResWidth 1920
    > uintProp maxResHeight 1080
    > uintProp defaultResWidth 1920
    > uintProp defaultResHeight 1080
    >
    > setting $MediumButDefaultLow
    >
    > setting $Medium
    >
    > setting $High
    > # GraphicsRulesMaker Tweak: Custom maximum resolution
    > # GraphicsRulesMaker Tweak: Custom default resolution
    > end
    >
    > Change all your numbers to the ones I have listed above. Save the file before exiting, and make a COPY (do not cut) of the graphic rules.sgr file you altered, and place the copy into the CSconfig file. Located right under the Config file in your documents. Let it override the one in there. Try again and see if you have all the resolutions.

Thanks for your help but the resolution is still stuck at 320x200, I dont know why its refusing to change, the graphics are good its just the resolution, so frustrating haha
    edited December 2018
    Thanks for your help but the resolution is still stuck at 320x200, I dont know why its refusing to change, the graphics are good its just the resolution, so frustrating haha

I don't know why that didn't work. It should have. I am not sure what you did to even get 320x200! You can try this, if you ran the graphic rules, delete (or move it out of the game folder) the graphic rules with the .sgr at the end. Right click the graphic rules with the ,bak at the end and choose rename. delete the .bak at the end, put in .sgr, and alter that file like above. Save the changes and do the same for the graphics rules in the CSConfig file. Something might have got messed up in the file that the graphics rules made.
    > @JULES1111 said:
    > Jazxi wrote: »
    >
    > Thanks for your help but the resolution is still stuck at 320x200, I dont know why its refusing to change, the graphics are good its just the resolution, so frustrating haha
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I don't know why that didn't work. It should have. I am not sure what you did to even get 320x200! You can try this, if you ran the graphic rules, delete (or move it out of the game folder) the graphic rules with the .sgr at the end. Right click the graphic rules with the ,bak at the end and choose rename. delete the .bak at the end, put in .sgr, and alter that file like above. Save the changes and do the same for the graphics rules in the CSConfig file. Something might have got messed up in the file that the graphics rules made.

Since I have tried reinstalling and repairing so many times I have lost the original .bak file, so what I did was install the Sims 2 on my brothers laptop then copied both config and csconfig files onto my USB then I replaced the ones in my laptop, should have worked right? I even checked that the Sims 2 ran at 800x600 on my brothers laptop, and it does, but on my laptop its still stuck at 320x200, which makes zero sense, something else must be messed up and I'm not sure what it could possibly be, I even tried replacing all the config and csconfig in the program files with the ones I got off my brother's laptop but its still refusing to change.
    This issue started after I followed a simsvip tutorial which has you change the numbers in "seti low 1" and "seti medium 2" to 3, then change all "uinitprop maxreswidth" and "uinitprop maxresheight" into 1920 and 1080, it didnt work (still at 800x600) then I stupidly followed some solutions in the comments which ended up giving me 320x200, and no amount of reinstalls/repairs would get it to 800x600 again :/
    I really hope you could help me fix this odd issue!
    Which expansion files are you altering?

(I read "go into your graphics rules file in the config file in your documents" but that's not where it should be- in Documents)

I read that too but assumed its a typo, I've always been altering the graphicrules.sgr in the fun with pets expansion pack in the program files not documents, but for my last attempt I altered all graphicrules.sgr but still no luck
    Since I have tried reinstalling and repairing so many times I have lost the original .bak file, so what I did was install the Sims 2 on my brothers laptop then copied both config and csconfig files onto my USB then I replaced the ones in my laptop, should have worked right? I even checked that the Sims 2 ran at 800x600 on my brothers laptop, and it does, but on my laptop its still stuck at 320x200, which makes zero sense, something else must be messed up and I'm not sure what it could possibly be, I even tried replacing all the config and csconfig in the program files with the ones I got off my brother's laptop but its still refusing to change.
    This issue started after I followed a simsvip tutorial which has you change the numbers in "seti low 1" and "seti medium 2" to 3, then change all "uinitprop maxreswidth" and "uinitprop maxresheight" into 1920 and 1080, it didnt work (still at 800x600) then I stupidly followed some solutions in the comments which ended up giving me 320x200, and no amount of reinstalls/repairs would get it to 800x600 again :/
    I really hope you could help me fix this odd issue!

Yes sorry I don't know why I said documents, lack of sleep I think! Anywho you know where to find the files. Ya it is weird that replacing the files didn't work. If they were totally different files it shouldn't matter what changes you made before, though I have no idea why simsvip gave those directions, I have never altered any of that. Repairing the game didn't do anything? It should have set the files back to their original form. Did those instructions in the comments have you alter the registry? If so then ya.... you are pretty screwed if you didn't back it up 1st. That will take a bit more to fix. If it was the registry they had you alter (you might want to check if you are not sure) you could try something, it will stink, but heres what you do. First you will have to uninstall your game, back up any downloads you may have, those will be fine, if you want to save your neighborhoods you can also back up the neighborhood folder. Next download CCCleaner, it is safe to use I have it myself, grab the free version, its all you need. https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/download Run the CCcleaner, it should load up on the cleaner, run that 1st. Next click on registry on the left hand side. Make sure ALL the boxes for everything listed is checked off, and hit scan for issues. This will bring up a list of junk in the registry it wants to clean, just let it clean it all. This should get rid of all the Sims 2 stuff you have in your registry, becouse the game is uninstalled and not using it. Then you will have to redownload your game, forget about everything you read on simsvip, run graphic rules maker again (unless you know how to alter your video card file, or backed it up beforehand), and just make the changes I showed you to the graphic rules.

If you didn't alter the registry I am at a total loss of what could be causing this issue. It should not be happening, the issue is with the game somewhere. Also note, that you do not want to run CCcleaner again unless you are very careful. It will delete some of the Sims 2 files needed to run the game becouse it doesn't recognize they are needed. ( A repair in Origin will fix it, but it will also reset all your files) If you want to run it again to keep your pc running smooth (like me) you will have to manually look at everything it brings up to delete, and go though it and uncheck everything for Sims 2. I learned that the hard way let me tell ya...

If this works and you have any other issues let us know!

I really appreciate your help, but alas even cleaning the registry using CCleaner and manually has refused to change the resolution, I dont recall even touching it to begin with so I am as confused as you are haha
    I think this just means I'll have to return to the Sims 3 since I also am at loss on what to do, I have a better laptop now so it should run without it's usual slowness/lag.
    Again thanks alot for your help, you are a good person for trying to fix this seemingly impossible issue and I wish you all the best! :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top