The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

**TS3* Build-n-Share Challenge #236 **Empty Nest** **Due 31st March 2021**

Comments

• suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    edited October 2018
    I went back in game and found the messages I was getting on the plants differed from when I originally placed them. I found that the only plants I had a problem deleting were those from Supernatural and University and only if they were in harvest state. Previously, when I was building, it was the same plants I had a problem with, but I don't think whether they were ready for harvest or not made a difference. Anyway, turning on testingcheatsenabled, shift/clicking the plant and selecting delete worked ok. While I was placing plants, I also used either escape to cancel a plant placement or used undo, I think.

(Editing to tag @ciane )
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    @suzses, Yes it was supernatural and uni plants in harvest state. When I placed them I didn't pay attention. Then, I was way over budget and had to delete some, but of course only the $0 priced ones deleted and that didn't help! Thank you so, so much for checking that out for me. Now I can replace the harvestable plants with others.

I also just realized that I could delete the inner foundation and use free brick wallpaper there to save a bit more money, so today I'll be moving all my furniture out to delete that foundation and put the free wallpaper and flooring in. Hopefully I'll gain enough to add just a bit more clutter or a living room rug (though I know I can improvise with cheap floor tiles to make a rug).
  • iampes23iampes23 Posts: 704 Member
    Just on the off-chance that I do not get to furnish my haunted house--here is a link to the shell for those interested in checking it out! https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9260811
    I left you a rec. The undertaking looks great! (Pun intended.)
    @iampes23 How nice of you to share! The lot layout looks great to me. I'll have to check it out.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    Thanks ladies! There is a waterfall (if I did it correctly) and fog on the lake. Going to start a decorated one asap. I will get some pictures up of that one when I am done. If you do download, enjoy!
    edited October 2018
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM #207 - Back to Their Roots

NAME: suzses

LINK TO LOT: https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9261745 (This is an upgraded and slightly modified version of my submitted lot - nothing very substantial is changed.)
    LINK TO MEDIA: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmrPHSdn

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: I named the Chens Jian and Zhi. Jian, because I'm acquainted with a nice man by that name, and I like how it sounds. ;) The name means "healthy," which also seemed appropriate. When looking for a woman's name, I came across something saying that the ancient Chinese often "likened beauties to herbal plants." Perfect. Zhi is the plant Angelica. The rest is in the pictures (there are some comments under the pictures again, although they're not terribly important to understanding what anything is).

Link to media: https://flic.kr/s/aHskGvLZcK
    Link to household:
    The Chens on their farm: https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9261748
    The couple unplayed straight from CAS: https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9261746

LEVEL: Advanced.
    LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 30x40 custom lot in Riverview (location stolen from Mr. Cottoneye, whose 60x60 lot at 2 Cotton Branch Dr. was bulldozed to make room for this lot). Cost: 64,990.

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: I haven't played in Riverview in a long time, except to place another Build-N-Share build there a couple years ago, so I thought this was a great time to go take a look around again. The farm-y scenery at the end of Cotton Branch Dr. was the perfect backdrop for the Chen's small farm, I thought, but there was a 60x60 lot already there with an inhabitant. Mr. Cottoneye was convinced to move into town, poor guy, and we took a 30x40 parcel of his land to build the Chen's farm. (Had I realized ahead of time, however, that the hill across the street was high and the sidewalk tends to break up a lot, making it hard to take pictures, I might not have thought it was so perfect!)

It sounded to me as though the Chens would be 1st generation Chinese Americans, because I think of Sims 3 city life as being US based (maybe only because I am). My experiences living in a college town with many internationals is that Asians in general quickly take on Western ways and styles and easily fit in. So, I thought of the Chens as being a lot like any neighbor down the street in terms of personal and household appearances, but with a few ideas and possessions from home that they hold dear.

I had in my mind's eye a farmhouse I had seen pictures of not long ago - white sided, with black metal roof and navy blue trim. Conveniently, the Chens seemed to like that, too. ;) We found a house plan that would work, although it was somewhat bigger than they initially envisioned, and set to work. It seemed natural to use some richer, brighter colors borrowed from the landscape against the white siding and light interior walls, and so we did. Keeping things fairly simple, we used the Chens' existing furnishings from their apartment, as well as their cherished family heirlooms. At the front of the house we included an office where Mr. Chen can meet a client and hand out some produce. Beside it is a room where Dr. Chen can make her traditional herbal medicines (I used the alchemy station for her, which seemed to be about as close as I could get to something appropriate.).

The house has three bedrooms and two-and-a-half baths. The downstairs half bath is easily large enough to be a full bath or a laundry and half bath. It has two garden areas, side by side. One is Jian's vegetable garden and the other Zhi's herb garden. The combined garden area was more than enough to keep both of them busy ALL DAY the first couple days I had them in the house, but their gardening skill went up quickly and it wasn't so bad within a few days. They also have a chicken coop near the gardens.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes.
    CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: None.

TWITTER TAG: (entirely optional but makes it easier for us to tag you)
    FACEBOOK PROFILE: (entirely optional but makes it easier for us to tag you)
    TUMBLR LINK: (entirely optional but makes it easier for us to tag you)

SPACE FOR PICTURES: (limit 2)

45299689552_893462fe71_b.jpgChenFarmhouseFront

44627006084_b49516a093_b.jpgChenFarmhouseBackyard2

Post edited by suzses on
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    edited October 2018
    Lovely house and oh so pretty landscaping @suzses! I loved your write-up.
    I set up my farmhouse in Riverview on a 30x40 lot as well, but Mr. Cottoneye was safe in my game. I deleted the Chihuahua house instead. ; )

I too made an office for both the Chens and included the alchemy for making potions for the patients.
    See here:
    https://2sim3.wordpress.com/other/bns/chen/

I'm still CASting and haven't playtested yet, so it's not ready for sharing for awhile. I just wanted you to see that I also shared many of your ideas.
  • creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    edited October 2018
    NAME: your forum id creativemetaphor
    LINK TO LOT: not uploaded

LINK TO MEDIA: Harvest Moon House
    OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: n/a
    LEVEL: advanced
    LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 40x30, custom placed in Riverview, final cost $64,989
    LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: The Chen's wanted a home evocative of their shared heritage, inspired largely by Dr. Chen's grandmother's home in which she spent many long summers learning to prepare remedies, and instrumental in her decision to become a doctor.

This home follows partially a traditional courtyard style with the house forming a U shape and an internally wrapped porch. Mental health is as important as physical, and this home offers serenity and enlightenment in a variety of forms.

The kwoon, or martial arts room, is large enough to practice on the dummy, spar with a partner, or just sit and meditate. The kitchen is designed to offer a variety of food preparation options, as well as a canning station for the fresh produce from the garden. It has a set of doors to the porch around the courtyard to easier vent the heat of cooking in summer.

The dining offers ample seating for guests and separates the spaces, while still having open archways to connect the house.

The main entry hall fronts the living room, the study, and the household shrine. The living room is slightly elevated and the railings help define the area, which is furnished based on traditional seating layouts. The study has a reproduction of a skeleton for Dr. Chen's work, and a desk for Mr. Chen, with bookshelves for both medical and legal books. The shrine is tucked into the nook on the other side of the living room. The space offers both a sense of openness but also well defined areas.

The door to the bedroom hallway offers privacy, especially between the guest bed and bath, and also has doors to the courtyard.

The guest bath is simple and functional, with the toilet tucked away behind the tub and frosted window for privacy.

The guest bed is currently set up to allow either of their parents to visit and be comfortable, children are a dream but not a reality yet.

The master bedroom has doors to a private porch overlooking the garden and a path out to the pavilion. The master bath is divided between the lav/toilet area and a full sauna with shower. (So the mirror never fogs up!)

The garden has a variety of fruit trees, vegetables, and herbs to tend almost any need. It also has an easel for the occasional artistic endeavor. Mr. Chen enjoys trying to paint the koi, but he isn't very good at it yet.

The pavilion abuts the koi pond, and offers two lounge chairs where they can relax and enjoy the 'fruits' of their hard work, out in the fresh air with nature.

The entire residence is enclosed, with entry at the main gate next to the parking area, where a small fountain welcomes guests.

The house as a whole was kept uncluttered and simple, little that is not needed is there. What decorations there are mostly reflect their heritage and heirlooms. What was not dedicated to health and serenity was intended to make guests feel welcome.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: yes, please
    CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: n/a

screenshot-74.jpg

Post edited by creativemetaphor on
    You always get a lot in your lots, @creativemetaphor. Very impressive. I love that you were able to incorporate the spa in the master bath. I didn't even have room for the fun triangular tub!
    edited October 2018
    I've updated my entry to include upload links. The uploaded version of the lot has upgraded appliances/electronics, and I've added just a few things that didn't make the budget, but it is mostly the same. I also included the Chens in their farmhouse, somewhat played, and another upload of just the couple straight out of CAS without the farm.

@ciane Great minds and all that ;) Your layout looks nice and roomy and as though it will have good flow. I should have used the sprinklers in the garden. You wouldn't believe how long it took them to take care of the plants. :D

@creativemetaphor What a beautiful, serene lot. I love the garden and courtyard areas and the layout in general. I agree with @ciane that you really do always manage to get a lot in there!
    Post edited by suzses on
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    edited October 2018
    @ciane @suzses Thank you both! :) Yeah, it took a LOT of fussing to get that under budget! Lots of swap outs for cheaper or buydebug items, free floors, scaled down, terrain paints and $1 plants, almost no clutter, and you thought those were rugs? LOL Yeah, I fought to keep that sauna in there! I think the color scheme makes it look like it's a bit 'richer' than it is! :)

Went back and admired the previous builds, and very lovely farmhouses to you both and @iampes23

I just had too much on my plate to make the Sims this time around.
  • KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member

NAME: Kgaff
    LINK TO LOT:
    LINK TO MEDIA: https://www.flickr.com/photos/154029363@N06/albums/72157674736248988
    OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: Song and Li Chen are included in the media
    LEVEL: intermediate
    LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 40x30 1936 Beach Blvd, Appaloosa Plains, $64,969
    LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS:
    When I read the story line I immediately thought of the Chen's reaching back to their Chinese roots.

I gave them a classic Chinese farm house with a twist.

The first floor is dedicated to family life so I make a huge kitchen with a canning station for all the fruits and veggies. The twist is a small office for Mr. Chen to practice law for the community. There is seating and a shoe rack at the entrance to the house. There is also a small bath with a clothes washer tucked behind the stairs.

Because most of the Chen's time will be spent working the farm or in Song's case, in her remedy shop or Li's case in his law office, I gave them only a small living room on the second floor. There they can read or watch tv together.

There is a master bedroom, a guest room and a large bath on the second floor as well.

Dr. Song Chen has a private herbal remedy shop where she can work on potions made from her special herbs. She can also make special teas and treat patients/customers with medicinal teas and tonics.

There are two gardens, one a large veggie and fruit garden and one is a dedicated herb and mushroom garden. They also have bee hives, chickens and a small barn.

There is a good sized pond with a deck/bridge for relaxation. I tried and tried to make an arched bridge but CFE and I do not get along well.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: "yes"
    CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: N/A
    TWITTER TAG: (entirely optional but makes it easier for us to tag you)
    FACEBOOK PROFILE: (entirely optional but makes it easier for us to tag you)
    TUMBLR LINK: (entirely optional but makes it easier for us to tag you)

30534170717_ac66fe9513_z.jpg

44560290285_b2a180345d_z.jpg
    edited October 2018
    Okay, here is the Haunted House!!
    https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9261468 house as furnished
    https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9260811 unfurnished

https://imgur.com/a/8un3TLg

u9uQFZm.jpg
    Based off of this floor plan
    3T1LP6a.jpg

**Great builds so far! The judges are going to be impressed!!**
    @Kgaff - I love the way you made the barn without any walls! And, that you have offices for both Chens too! I am always a bit jealous of those that have enough money left over to do some nice landscaping as well.

@iampes23 - I rec'd your haunted houses too. Very nice job and great write-up!

I did get my farm house done. It's here:
    https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9262066

And more pics are here:
    https://2sim3.wordpress.com/other/bns/chen
    @Kgaff Another lovely build! And another one who managed to get in a lot of things. Very thoughtful layout, and I love the herb garden and pond.

Off to look at the others.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    edited October 2018
    @ciane You managed to get in both a fully functional doctor's office and a fully furnished nursery! I'm lucky I got in a desk. LOL I really like your recolors of the table/chairs and cabinetry in the dining area, as well as the armoire.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    edited October 2018
    @iampes23 Very lovely and spooky haunted house for the season. Thanks again for sharing with us. I've got you (and everyone else here so far) rec'd.
    Post edited by suzses on
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • mederouinmederouin Posts: 67 Member

OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM No.207 Back to Their Roots

NAME: Mederouin

LINK TO LOT:https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9263270

LINK TO MEDIA: https://imgur.com/a/pwZGAk0

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: N/A

LEVEL: Advanced

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 30 X 40; 45 Hidden Grove Ln, Riverview; Final cost: 60,347

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: For this project I wanted to build a landscape that the house took a backseat too. I wanted the house to be simple and charming while the landscape was almost wild. I choose to build the landscape following losely the idea of permaculture. It was about building a whole space not just a fenced area that had been planted, I wanted the whole landscape to be a garden, to have a function and a certain inate beauty. I included a small greenhouse for those temprate plants and starting seeds and I placed the herb garden closest to the house so that it would allow easy access. The pond is for water retention and fishing and the bees for polination and honey. I tried to give the house an aquired feel with some of the pieces not matching completely. I wanted it to feel like everything there either had sentimental value or was useful or incrediably beautiful to the Chens. I hope you enjoy.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes, please

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: N/A
    “As an architect you design for the present with an awareness of the past for a future which is essentially unknown”
    -Herman Foster
    Nicely shaped house (though those narrow spaces would drive me crazy) and pretty landscaping!
    edited October 2018
    @mederouin It is a lovely landscaped home! That raised foundation is a nice touch. I really love the thought you put into so many of those details, like the outdoor tub. I could see planing shrubs in that like some people do with old boots and sinks and such.

But I do agree with @ciane about the skinny hallway upstairs! LOL
  • BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    Wr2hKWH.png

Attention Intermediate entrants B) for #206 - Back to Basics - your results are now available here.

GArBA5W.jpg
  • BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    YEW12tS.png
    Attention Advanced entrants for #206 - We Need Some Space - your results are now available here.

GArBA5W.jpg
    @iampes23 - Here's the haunted house I was working on this month:
    https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9264447
    roof_up_original.jpg
    I was so very busy this month, so it didn't get the attention I had originally planned; but I'm still happy with it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top