Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Help with Lunar Lakes

nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
Has anyone spent any time playing in Lunar Lakes? I've never really played it before despite all the time I've had the world but am trying it the last week. There are two community lots, the Crystal Mine (no visitors allowed) and the Kelvin Pavilion (also no visitors allowed) that I have no idea what they are supposed to do. Usually lots are some kind of rabbit hole when they are "No Visitors" but these my sim can explore freely.

Is there more to them I'm missing? I did "google" them but couldn't find much.

Comments

• lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,282 Member
    edited October 2018
    According to Carl's Guide for TS3, the No visitors allowed means that you don't want random sims visiting that lot.
    https://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/buildedit/edittownlots.php
    No Visitors Allowed: Another general community lot type. This one is for lots that you don't want random Sims visiting. An example would be if you build an abandoned house, you would not make it a residential lot as eventually someone would move into through story progression, but if you make it a community lot, you don't want lots of Sims visiting it.

Now why they made 2 lots as No Visitors Allowed is beyond me but you can change that if you want other Sims to show up when your sim is there... :)
  • 1need4kaffee1need4kaffee Posts: 486 Member
    I have played Lunar Lakes a bit. The crystal mine is just a spawn spot for gems, seeds and asteroids, and has a telescope. I don't know that I have ever done anything with the Kelvin Pavilion.
  • CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    edited October 2018
    @nickibitsward My advice

First off entirely up to you but I actually like the Kelvin Pavillion build.It screams eating place.If you own ITF my advice add the Food forge cuisine synthesizer,what this does is each create 2 NPcs a waiter and a server that will come right to your table take your order and bring it right to you.It fits the theme for that world but honestly is like a buffet add tables and chairs to your taste decorate it nicely is great for a eating place.Change lot type to "Cafeteria".Honestly one of my favorite objects in the game for making community lots.

There is no adventures on that lot or anything cool but is is a very neat build that has potential.

Took a screenie just now,default but can you see the eatery potential even potential for a beautiful house with a rooftop garden

3o6Hgk4.png

Next the Crystal mine

The true purpose of this is that EA made it look like a mine build but it is meant for a sim collector

Reason is has a EPIC gem spawner at the bottom which puts out the highest value rarest gem collectibles and a spawner that actually produces those HUGE meteorites the massive sized ridiculous valued ones.And controlled sims can visit no visitors allowed

I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited October 2018
    One of the original intents for No Visitors Allowed was to prevent inactive (not being player controlled) sims from hanging out on rabbithole lots after they were finished working/going to school or whatever their official business on the lot was. With Visitors Allowed, you might get inactives showing up on a school lot to use the playground off to the side, for example, or the snack vendor or bar placed just outside of an entrance to the business building in the courtyard even if they have no other reason for being there. Or they might want to hang out on a subway lot for no particular reason.

But it has other uses as in the LL examples. Although the game won't push sims there, it was never meant to block sims from showing up entirely.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    edited October 2018
    @nickibitsward My advice

First off entirely up to you but I actually like the Kelvin Pavillion build.It screams eating place.If you own ITF my advice add the Food forge cuisine synthesizer,what this does is each create 2 NPcs a waiter and a server that will come right to your table take your order and bring it right to you.It fits the theme for that world but honestly is like a buffet add tables and chairs to your taste decorate it nicely is great for a eating place.Change lot type to "Cafeteria".Honestly one of my favorite objects in the game for making community lots.

There is no adventures on that lot or anything cool but is is a very neat build that has potential.

Took a screenie just now,default but can you see the eatery potential even potential for a beautiful house with a rooftop garden

3o6Hgk4.png

Next the Crystal mine

The true purpose of this is that EA made it look like a mine build but it is meant for a sim collector

Reason is has a EPIC gem spawner at the bottom which puts out the highest value rarest gem collectibles and a spawner that actually produces those HUGE meteorites the massive sized ridiculous valued ones.And controlled sims can visit no visitors allowed

I like the build too and the idea of a restaurant. I've taken out all those funny, little tiny rabbit holes and replaced most so far with the ones from ITF, so I can do something futuristic there.

I will do something with the Crystal mine. I love the crystals so I might make it a park or something.

edited October 2018
    igazor wrote: »
    One of the original intents for No Visitors Allowed was to prevent inactive (not being player controlled) sims from hanging out on rabbithole lots after they were finished working/going to school or whatever their official business on the lot was. With Visitors Allowed, you might get inactives showing up on a school lot to use the playground off to the side, for example, or the snack vendor or bar placed just outside of an entrance to the business building in the courtyard even if they have no other reason for being there. Or they might want to hang out on a subway lot for no particular reason.

But it has other uses as in the LL examples. Although the game won't push sims there, it was never meant to block sims from showing up entirely.

Thanks Igazor and lisasc, for some reason I thought all rabbitholes had to be No Visitors.

Thanks for all your comments, guys.

Having the lots "No Visitors" I was worried getting rid of them might mean I lost a rabbithole (like business or criminal) that I needed for my world. So now I don't have to worry about that.
    edited October 2018
    What you can do to the Kelvin Pavilion without anything but cosmetic changes/without changing the build.

Still a WIP but so far my Ancient Roman Restaurant using that Premade Lot.

fjc1y59.png

Would be awesome in Lucky Palms,what isn't awesome in LP.

DfydFiZ.gif
    What you can do to the Kelvin Pavilion without anything but cosmetic changes/without changing the build.

Still a WIP but so far my Ancient Roman Restaurant using that Premade Lot.

fjc1y59.png

Would be awesome in Lucky Palms,what isn't awesome in LP.

I love those winged Llamas, haven't used them much they don't fit into the worlds I've done. But now I am wondering if I could do an ancient Roman world. Maybe in Dragon Valley, I don't make my own worlds, not that talented.

• AmphoraAmphora Posts: 3,959 Member

fjc1y59.png

Where do the winged Llamas come from? EP, SP or Store?
    edited October 2018
    @Amphora They come with Roaring Heights world from Sims 3 store

@nickibitsward The Olympian Physique venue build from the store would be another for you.Perfect and if you throw in stuff from other worlds there are way more you could easily bin enough builds that match the theme to redo a whole one yourself.

No skill required to empty a existing world and making it your own.Even if you are lazy doing a section of an existing world and making it into a Little Rome with a few houses and venues that match the architecture would be really cute

DfydFiZ.gif
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,282 Member
    Thanks for all your comments, guys.

Having the lots "No Visitors" I was worried getting rid of them might mean I lost a rabbithole (like business or criminal) that I needed for my world. So now I don't have to worry about that.

You're welcome @nickibitsward... :)

It is nice that we do have the option to set a lot to "No visitors" especially if someone is using a certain lot or have created a lot for their story telling as they don't want any random sims to wander onto the lot.

Now that I think about it, I could had used it when I created my little medical clinic that I had built across the street from her house when she was pregnant instead of making it a residential lot. But oh well, it still served it's purpose when she went into labor and I was still able to set up the labor poses in one of the exam rooms... :)

Thank you! o:)

@nickibitsward The Olympian Physique venue build from the store would be another for you.Perfect and if you throw in stuff from other worlds there are way more you could easily bin enough builds that match the theme to redo a whole one yourself.

No skill required to empty a existing world and making it your own.Even if you are lazy doing a section of an existing world and making it into a Little Rome with a few houses and venues that match the architecture would be really cute

I've redone every world I've played in but Sunset Valley will always be my favourite because of the layout. I already have the Olympian Physique venue so that's one down. I wish EA had gotten a little more creative in some of the worlds, like Dragon Valley. How many "criminal" rabbitholes do we have, or the business ones that may have different names and colors but are the same building. I'd like to have seen some specific to worlds like Dragon Valley. And maybe an ox cart instead of the taxi.

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited October 2018
    What I like to do with worlds like DV is mix in super-modern elements among the castles and ancient architecture. If sims are going to go around living through their smartphones and computers, may as well make the place realistic. Of course there are exceptions, but many places I've been to that have retained such history have also modernized. My DV doesn't have ox carts, it has a Bowl-a-Rama, dance clubs, Simbucks and fast food type joints sometimes tastefully located within the landmarks, sometimes glaringly ugly but on the outskirts of town. Food synthesizers and bot emporiums might be a bit much, but those would be for the next generations. :)
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    What I like to do with worlds like DV is mix in super-modern elements among the castles and ancient architecture. If sims are going to go around living through their smartphones and computers, may as well make the place realistic. Of course there are exceptions, but many places I've been to that have retained such history have also modernized. My DV doesn't have ox carts, it has a Bowl-a-Rama, dance clubs, Simbucks and fast food type joints sometimes tastefully located within the landmarks, sometimes glaringly ugly but on the outskirts of town. Food synthesizers and bot emporiums might be a bit much, but those would be for the next generations. :)

Dragon Valley is the type of world I would like to keep Medieval. Gives me a chance to use some of my fairy stuff and that while I could play without the television and computer, no way of getting rid of the phones. And that yellow school bus would still come.

I'm just thinking for a world like DV couldn't they have changed the taxi to an ox cart and the bus to horse and wagon or something or would that have been too hard.

• KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member

Dragon Valley is the type of world I would like to keep Medieval. Gives me a chance to use some of my fairy stuff and that while I could play without the television and computer, no way of getting rid of the phones. And that yellow school bus would still come.

I'm just thinking for a world like DV couldn't they have changed the taxi to an ox cart and the bus to horse and wagon or something or would that have been too hard.

There are huge empty areas in Dragon Valley. I used one of those areas to add additional lots and build a witch's village. There were no roads or taxis anywhere near that village.

Moon005.jpg

The houses were mostly underground with only small entrances above ground. I wanted a bleak look for this one.

Sunrise001.jpg

Karritz wrote: »

There are huge empty areas in Dragon Valley. I used one of those areas to add additional lots and build a witch's village. There were no roads or taxis anywhere near that village.

Moon005.jpg

The houses were mostly underground with only small entrances above ground. I wanted a bleak look for this one.

Sunrise001.jpg

I just want to say that i really love what you did here! It definitely conveys the feeling you were going for :)

Moon005.jpg

Sunrise001.jpg

Wow, this looks really interesting.

If I did something like this I could still have the rabbitholes just far enough away they weren't part of the little village but still there for careers and things.

I've got one rabbit hole left to do in Lunar Lakes, the criminal one. I am thinking I might use the little building that came with Lunar Lakes and put it inside something else that looks more futuristic.

• IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    edited October 2018
    Except for the science building, the Lunar Lakes rabbithole buildings are great for putting in basements. I've recently been working on building on Hylewood, a tiny island world with only 15 lots. All the rabbitholes are going underground on two of the lots, except for the mausoleum. I had room on the 23x22 lot where I built a library and a small building with the stairs to the basement, to build a small graveyard above ground. The basement contains the school, stadium, city hall, police, and military. And they all fit there neatly with only a little overlap with each other, and room in the center for a small underground park in the center, with streetlights, fountain, park benches, and potted plants.

I've just finally finished and have been taking pictures of all lots and residents, so I have a screenshot of the basement.

NRLJQda.jpg

Here's the basement of the 40x40 lot with the rest of the rabbitholes. I used the Bloom Wellness Center from Moonlight Falls for the science and hospital rabbitholes, because it's smaller than any of the science buildings. The pool is from the gym above ground.

lDD3yt8.jpg

You have to use MOO to put them there, but they don't usually show underground, no matter how tall they are.

IreneSwift wrote: »
    Except for the science building, the Lunar Lakes rabbithole buildings are great for putting in basements. I've recently been working on building on Hylewood, a tiny island world with only 15 lots. All the rabbitholes are going underground on two of the lots, except for the mausoleum. I had room on the 23x22 lot where I built a library and a small building with the stairs to the basement, to build a small graveyard above ground. The basement contains the school, stadium, city hall, police, and military. And they all fit there neatly with only a little overlap with each other, and room in the center for a small underground park in the center, with streetlights, fountain, park benches, and potted plants.

I've just finally finished and have been taking pictures of all lots and residents, so I have a screenshot of the basement.

NRLJQda.jpg

Here's the basement of the 40x40 lot with the rest of the rabbitholes. I used the Bloom Wellness Center from Moonlight Falls for the science and hospital rabbitholes, because it's smaller than any of the science buildings. The pool is from the gym above ground.

lDD3yt8.jpg

You have to use MOO to put them there, but they don't usually show underground, no matter how tall they are.

Holy mother of pearl that’s genius! I’m working on fixing up Hylewood myself and never thought of putting the Lunar Lakes rabbit holes underground! It’s like a CC free version of those rabbit hole rugs I was going to try...I’m stealing your idea. Lol!
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    I once put a huge number of rabbit holes underground on a single lot. This was because I was trying to play on a tiny island with only about 3 or 4 lots and I wanted a few of the rabbit holes.

About the Witches Village in Dragon Valley I had previously made a fairy village at the unpopulated end of Barnacle Bay too.

Penelope030.jpg

I used the little brown lines that are all over that world as 'paths' and arranged the extra lots I added in such a way, using fences strategically, so the sims had to travel along the 'paths' to get anywhere.

Penelope029.jpg

Only problem I found when doing this sort of thing is they get returned to a close by road after alien abductions, and not right back at the house from which they were originally abducted.

Also have to watch not to add too many extra lots. Depends on the computer's processing power and amount of memory available to the game. It can't use more than about 3 GB without risking Error 12 when saving.

Penelope022.jpg

FelixsHouseWithFaithArrivingForAVisit001.jpg

TinasPlace002.jpg

FairyVillage003.jpg

All of their living space is in the basements. Above ground you just see small structures that hide the spiral staircase down to their basement homes.
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    Amphora wrote: »
    Holy mother of pearl that’s genius! I’m working on fixing up Hylewood myself and never thought of putting the Lunar Lakes rabbit holes underground! It’s like a CC free version of those rabbit hole rugs I was going to try...I’m stealing your idea. Lol!

You're welcome to it. I learned that it could be done when I installed some worlds from My Sim Realty. Their creator does that all the time. And after I got Lunar Lakes, I realized how perfect those little rabbithole buildings were for basements.

I once put a huge number of rabbit holes underground on a single lot. This was because I was trying to play on a tiny island with only about 3 or 4 lots and I wanted a few of the rabbit holes.

About the Witches Village in Dragon Valley I had previously made a fairy village at the unpopulated end of Barnacle Bay too.

Penelope030.jpg

I used the little brown lines that are all over that world as 'paths' and arranged the extra lots I added in such a way, using fences strategically, so the sims had to travel along the 'paths' to get anywhere.

Penelope029.jpg

Only problem I found when doing this sort of thing is they get returned to a close by road after alien abductions, and not right back at the house from which they were originally abducted.

Also have to watch not to add too many extra lots. Depends on the computer's processing power and amount of memory available to the game. It can't use more than about 3 GB without risking Error 12 when saving.

Penelope022.jpg

FelixsHouseWithFaithArrivingForAVisit001.jpg

TinasPlace002.jpg

FairyVillage003.jpg

All of their living space is in the basements. Above ground you just see small structures that hide the spiral staircase down to their basement homes.

I love this, I have to do a fairy world. I have all the fairy stuff from the Store.

IreneSwift wrote: »
    Amphora wrote: »

You're welcome to it. I learned that it could be done when I installed some worlds from My Sim Realty. Their creator does that all the time. And after I got Lunar Lakes, I realized how perfect those little rabbithole buildings were for basements.

I have been placing them above ground then just building around them whatever kind of building I want. They work really well when you don't have a building that suits the world you're playing in. You can also place them instead the skyscraper shells.

I never thought of placing them underground, I wasn't sure they would go because they actually are a couple stories high.