Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Someone told me not to play the sims....

Lucid_blehLucid_bleh Posts: 107 Member
So here is my story ...
First of all ; Has anyone experienced sierra problems so far ? Because just yesterday my MacBook Pro has shut down upon updating to sierra , and my screen was pitch black and unresponsive even tho it was turned on and was woking (the startup noise is heard and you can hear that it was working and regenerating heat) . I had to restore my mac by reseting the NVRAM ( restart my mac command + Option + P + R for those who are wondering how to restart your mac when this happens ) it was quite annoying and scary , but it worked . I called the operators to update them on what happened exactly and to insure myself that everything is a 100% okay, and so one of the operators told me that macs memory is not designed for the sims or any kind of gaming experiences and that I was supposed to use MacBook Pros for business in a quite demanding voice as if I were an idiot for playing the sims and like I only used my laptop for gaming ... am I doing anything wrong tho ? I am seriously mad since he didn't give me a solution and blamed the sims for this update crash :/ ...
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

747a4083471d8b76843c1c120cf5bd98.jpg

Comments

• DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,565 Member
    edited November 2017
    It really depends on your Macbook Pro. Some have specs that is a bit below the required specs, and some are waaaaay below.

I personally won't suggest someone to play on a Mac. First of all, it's very expensive. Second of all, you could probably get a real gaming laptop that is meant for gaming cuz they have a better cooling system and with the correct specs, etc, at the same price or even less.

The Sims 4 is a pretty heavy game on CPU and graphics. It could be that your graphics card in your laptop is weak for the game. So the operator isn't wrong, actually.

Of course, it could be the update that caused to black screen but you also need to take care of your laptop and maybe play The Sims 4 on lower settings or not at all, if you want to save your MacBook. :D
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • Lucid_blehLucid_bleh Posts: 107 Member
    DeKay wrote: »
    It really depends on your Macbook Pro. Some have specs that is a bit below the required specs, and some are waaaaay below.

I personally won't suggest someone to play on a Mac. First of all, it's very expensive. Second of all, you could probably get a real gaming laptop that is meant for gaming cuz they have a better cooling system and with the correct specs, etc, at the same price or even less.

The Sims 4 is a pretty heavy game on CPU and graphics. It could be that your graphics card in your laptop is weak for the game. So the operator isn't wrong, actually.

Of course, it could be the update that caused to black screen but you also need to take care of your laptop and maybe play The Sims 4 on lower settings or not at all, if you want to save your MacBook. :D

@DeKay
    Oh yeah for sure the graphics card of a mac is not really designed to play the sims I do understand that completely so I do understand that but this did not really happen while I was playing the game and it never did for 3 years now this happened while updating to Sierra , but I do take god care of it and have always been checking and cleaning it from junk and unnecessary applications , files and so on ,as well as trying to fix any problem that my memory card might have and I have never experienced something like this with no other update of the mac itself since i bought this mac back in 2012 considering its an apple product that is quite old for their laptop . I am looking for gaming laptops online but unfortunately gaming laptops here in Croatia are not a cheap thing and I do have to order them from overseas since most of them are not being sold here , so for now this will have to do .
    Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

• BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    @Lucid_bleh You could always try building a desktop if you don't mind a bulky system. Desk tops have more processing speeds and you can get it specifically or build it specifically for gaming. It may be cheaper for you in the long run. Heck the cheapest gaming laptop can run you about 1500 USD here or higher.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

BMSO wrote: »
    @Lucid_bleh You could always try building a desktop if you don't mind a bulky system. Desk tops have more processing speeds and you can get it specifically or build it specifically for gaming. It may be cheaper for you in the long run. Heck the cheapest gaming laptop can run you about 1500 USD here or higher.

@BMSO honestly I was considering this :D

Yeah, you're better off with a desktop cuz it's cheaper. I only have a gaming laptop so I can sit on my bed. XD
    832XG3D.gif
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited November 2017
    @Lucid_bleh It's true most Macs aren't designed for gaming. This OS update might be the cause. I know very little about Macs but I've heard people talking about this new update Sierra and having problems. You might want to post in the Mac section to see if someone there can help: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/the-sims-4-on-mac-discussions
    Yeah, you're better off with a desktop cuz it's cheaper. I only have a gaming laptop so I can sit on my bed. XD
    How do you play comfortably on a bed? The thought of laying back or hunching over to use it sounds uncomfortable to me.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
    edited November 2017
    SimplyJen wrote: »
    @Lucid_bleh It's true most Macs aren't designed for gaming. This OS update might be the cause. I know very little about Macs but I've heard people talking about this new update Sierra and having problems. You might want to post in the Mac section to see if someone there can help: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/the-sims-4-on-mac-discussions
    How do you play comfortably on a bed? The thought of laying back or hunching over to use it sounds uncomfortable to me.

I sit crosslegged. Yeah, it could be a bit uncomfortable but I stack some books underneath my laptop and I also have a laptop cooler under it too. So it elevates the laptop a bit. Sometimes, I would just lean against the wall and just use my right hand to control the mouse. My laptop is closer to the wall on right side. I don't play other games so I don't have to have my left hand on WASD. :P
    832XG3D.gif
    @DeKay hahahaha lucky you ! I will not deny my jelousy lvl rn is +101 XD

SimplyJen wrote: »

Yeah it's in the update itself , sadly I can not do anything about it . It did make my gaming experiance worse and my memory card seems to be sufforing , so UPDATE (for all you mac gamers) : do not ipgrade to sierra ! Its more of a dowgrade . It will make your already hard gaming even harder ...

I would just like to update the situation ... Not long after I uploaded this post , my memory card collapsed ... burnt... ruined , I ended up going to the apple service which costed me a whole lot of money , they charge the check up as well , bought a new upgraded memory card and it works for now , I was brave enough to play the sims on it and for now its running smoothly on "laptop mode" and not the highest settings , I do experience some glitches but its way better ... I would advise all mac users to check up on their memory cards and adapt the sims 4 settings to it , for all mac laptop users the "laptop mode" which you can find in game settings works like a charm !

• AriaMad2AriaMad2 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Somebody once told me The Sims 4 ruined their life. They messed with my life for 10 years and I’m glad I didn’t listen to them. 👍🏻
    F€€Ł ŦĦ€ ŴΔV€ ØF ŞØỮŇĐ, ΔŞ ƗŦ ĆŘΔŞĦ€Ş ĐØŴŇ

ĴØIŇ UŞ ĆØŇŞUΜ€ ŦĦ€ FŘUIŦ ØF ŦĦ€ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ΔŇĐ KŇØŴ P€ΔĆ€
    AriaMad2 wrote: »
    Somebody once told me The Sims 4 ruined their life. They messed with my life for 10 years and I’m glad I didn’t listen to them. 👍🏻
    stand your simground !

• SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member

I third this. If money is an issue but portability isn't (and a lot of gaming laptops aren't extra-ordinarily portable either xD), go with a desktop. You will get a lot more power for a lot less money, you'll have it for much longer, and you can far more easily upgrade individual specs if need be over time. I have both now, but for a long time I couldn't and so I know, if I can only have one I will take a desktop over a laptop any day. :)