Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you incorporate faith/religion in the Sims?

paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
edited February 20 in Nominated Threads
Hello, I'm here to ask the community an interesting question: How do you handle religion/faith in your games, if you have any? How many do you have? What are some traditions? Do you take the time to change your game to suit these religions/faiths? They can be either mirrors of RL religions or completely made-up.

In most of my games, there are a mix of religions and mythologies that are familiar in the real world, but they are actually intertwined and interconnected to a chiefly primary religious order called the Order of Zenith, where there are hundreds, maybe even thousands of entities represented but are chiefly presided over by 14 Divines (13 depending on who you ask) that form the majority of the spheres of influence represented on the world. Each of the Divines has at least one holiday dedicated to them and that's where I use the holiday system to showcase the religious traditions usually associated with each.

The Creator:

Zenith - God of Creation, Time and Space, Fire and Water, the Moon, and Just rule

39KSGaK.png

AKA Chaos, The Watcher, and many other names; Zenith is everything and nothing all at once. There is nothing higher above it.

The Elders: The first primordial beings of creation, borne out of Chaos itself

Aatar - Elder God of Light, Absolution, Order, Defender of good, patron god of Elves

sZaa9fW.png

AKA the Light of Zenith; Aatar is the personification of all Light. It also administers all the affairs in Heaven and is Zenith's right-hand.

Gwynn - Elder Goddess of Balance, crystals, mysteries, fertility

wMqCTkA.png

Gwynn is the personification of all Matter and Energy; she is also considered the 'First Mother' excepting Zenith, and the only Elder with an established gender. Considered Zenith's left-hand, and is also a patron goddess among Witches.

Alithia - Goddess of Mercy, Light, Healing, patron goddess of the Order of Zenith

HLMFMmS.png

Technically a Sub-Elder, created only partially from Chaos; while the other Elders can be considered 'children' of Zenith indirectly, Alithia is the first true 'child' directly created by Zenith itself. A long time ago, she was known as the Dark Goddess after The Fallen One had corrupted her pure nature and waged war on Heaven; after thousands of years, she had returned, was re-purified of the dark influence, and returned to being what could arguably be Zenith's 'favorite child'.

The Divines: These are the gods that cover most of the other major spheres of influence; most of them are 'children of Zenith'

Hannai - Goddess of Wisdom, courage, knowledge, patron goddess of magi

DOoPXv6.png

Verloren - God of Death, Justice, Reaper of souls, the Life cycle, patron god of Reapers

C3QvZoT.png

Only a grandchild of Zenith; the fourth child of Zenith's son Masayoshi, the first god of death. First wrongly cast out by his father after a grievous mistake in Heaven, Masayoshi eventually turned evil and corrupted himself, to which Zenith had no choice but to dispose of his own son. Verloren was pardoned immediately and eventually found his way back up to Heaven, but going the long way round. All soul reapers work under him; Grimmy is just one of many other Reapers.

Arashi - God of Storms, nature, life, patron god of hunters

EuJzveE.png

Anankos - God of elemental mastery, Pure willpower, Serenity, Peace

uaxCPV2.png

Only a grandchild of Zenith; the first child of Zenith's son Drakon, who was unfortunately captured outside of Heaven and devoured by The Fallen One. After experiencing struggles of his own, he was redeemed and became Drakon's natural replacement, living the life of a divine monk.

Rhiannon - Goddess of the Family, the hearth, guidance, flight, guardian of the tree of Alcaire (The World Tree)

dxBAMzX.png

Aesir - God of New beginnings, rebirth, freewill, Time (present)

qucLaB3.png

Also a general mischief-maker and trickster, but only means well.

Jubilea - Goddess of the Arcane, summoning, sorcery, humanity, Darkness, and Celestial record keeper

TWi7wvc.png

Depending on who you ask, she can be considered a Divine or not whether they go by the old pantheon or the new one; that would bring it down to 13 (or 12) Divines instead.

Abraxas - God of the Sun, crafting and enchanting, god of Labour

CPTX4Ti.png

Lydia - Goddess of Love, the arts, the Oceans, and the Moon

1jQtiln.png

Controversial:

Fenghuang - God of Heroes, justified war, patron god of Imperanese (a special race I developed)

rbSTLhG.png

Fenghuang is controversial as a Divine in the fact that his story pertains to that of a mortal king who ascended to the role of a Divine, and many doubt the veracity that a mortal being could ascend into Heaven and become a Divine, let alone even a deity of any kind. Secondly, because he's considered partial only to a specific race of people and not to all of mortalkind.

The Fallen One:

Zarthon - Elder God of Corruption, Shadow, controller of the Old Ones

nuLVVQA.png

AKA the Shadow of Zenith; Zarthon is the personification of all Shadow. It became the Fallen One after Zenith cast Zarthon out of Heaven after favouring Aatar, since they are 'twins' of each other and despise each other to boot. Zarthon has felt jaded and has made its mission to ruin Zenith's creations ever since.
Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    Only in one save. It has a royal family and prince with powers that the people of the kingdom believe are given by their gods. Other that there isn't anything.
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• kiriviankirivian Posts: 1,074 Member
    edited October 2018
    First off, this is an awesome display of creativity and inspiration. Makes me want to know more! The idea of creating a whole new pantheon and religion for gameplay is fabulously ambitious and compelling. Very much beyond my capacity - although some of my sims practice hybrids of modern and ancient religions. I would be interested to know the nature of the holidays associated with these deities, and some of the more common practices those who worship them might be expected to uphold or follow. Many ancients who worshiped pantheon style deities practiced the worship of the darkest of their deities with equal devotion and regularity to that of their lightest - embracing the concept perforce that the human experience cannot be divided by a code of morality - good and evil must exist in equal measure or neither are valid. Certainly the Celts, Egyptian and Mayans. So I am really intrigued by this. If you're inclined I'd love to learn more about it.

To answer the original question.

My faith plays a very important role in my life, and consequently I do try to incorporate faith and religion into the world of my sims. Having said that, I do not believe that my sims have to practice my religion and I have actually spent some time researching various religions when I create some of my more culturally diverse characters (this is of course an almost impossible task because no amount of research can immerse you in the actual faith of another religion if you do not embrace the tenets of that faith with both an open mind and heart - and this of course will most likely lead you to conflict with tenets that do not mesh with your inherent belief system), but as for customs and holidays and wardrobing etc. associated with the major religions of the world - hell's YEAH! Nothing is more interesting to me than what motivates folk and nothing motivates folk as powerfully as their faith - even when their faith appears faithless (as in atheism), so in some ways it is essential to the creation of my characters to think about and incorporate their religious beliefs. In the case of some sims it's more relevant and pronounced than in others (as in real life). Am I jaded by my faith? Most likely, as I do believe that all my sims - no matter how culturally diverse I try to make them all seem to adhere to at least one simple tenet " An it harm none do what ye will" as do I - yet my candle still burns in Rome.
    "You ask me if there'll come a time when I grow tired of you...Never, my love..." -The Association (1967)
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    edited October 2018
    I do incorporate my faith and ideals in my legacy saves. I usually do so by incorporating the wellness skill, writing skill, podium (charisma skill), and clubs to help immerse as if they are practicing the faith. I also make a few church (park) venues with a few having the many required items hidden in a nonaccessible basement. So other NPC sims are drawn to the area to "participate."
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member
    edited October 2018
    Mine is two religions based on Disney characters mostly=with the exception of the "good" religion's queen being my simself (trying to figure out a backstory for why "Anne" is the Queen of the Anneorines).

But with the exception of 3 Disney heriones (Kida, Ewliony and Lilo) most other Heriones have "jobs" with them they have to help based on their behaviours or storyline. I can't remember all of them- but Alice is imagination, Wendy's is mothering, Snow White's is magic&night and also shares winter duties with Elsa, Aurora (obvious) day and also of dreams, Ariel=goddess of the sea (well water)&artsm Belle-goddess of knowledge, Cinderella-Goddess of the Hearth (Home), Elsa&Anna together=goddess of family, Esmerlda= goddess of outcasts&heart break, Jasmine-goddess of exotic pets &thieves, Jane=goddess of Jungle, Merida=archery, Megra=goddess of broken hearts, Mulan-Goddess of fighting, Moana-travelling (new?) Pochantas=harvest, Rapunzel=goddess of healing, Tiana (Goddess of chefs/entrepreneurs).

So basically there's a female priestess (and her family) and depending on what the need is-she dressed as one of the various Disney heroines.

Toddlers=don't do anything
    Girl children=Are dress like Alice
    Teen Girls=Wendy Darling
    YA-take over from Mom.

coed- "Enrichment" (Evil religion) there's both a priest and Priestess (married) supposedly both genders are supposed to be allowed to become the new leader-but in-story for some reason the family prefers girls to boys

6adMCGP.gif
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    kirivian wrote: »
    My faith plays a very important role in my life, and consequently I do try to incorporate faith and religion into the world of my sims. Having said that, I do not believe that my sims have to practice my religion and I have actually spent some time researching various religions when I create some of my more culturally diverse characters (this is of course an almost impossible task because no amount of research can immerse you in the actual faith of another religion if you do not embrace the tenets of that faith with both an open mind and heart - and this of course will most likely lead you to conflict with tenets that do not mesh with your inherent belief system), but as for customs and holidays and wardrobing etc. associated with the major religions of the world - hell's YEAH! Nothing is more interesting to me than what motivates folk and nothing motivates folk as powerfully as their faith - even when their faith appears faithless (as in atheism), so in some ways it is essential to the creation of my characters to think about and incorporate their religious beliefs. In the case of some sims it's more relevant and pronounced than in others (as in real life). Am I jaded by my faith? Most likely, as I do believe that all my sims - no matter how culturally diverse I try to make them all seem to adhere to at least one simple tenet " An it harm none do what ye will" as do I - yet my candle still burns in Rome.

Okay I loved reading this so much.

I too try to do that, to a lesser degree. My sims are multicultural, of course they would be of "various faiths and beliefsTM".
    I guess I use mirrors of RL religions. It is not a focal point of my gameplay though, the most I do about it is different ways of doing the Festive Lighting tradition, or a nod in deco items, food, names, or clothing.
    But I don't know enough to try more, and even if I did know more it would still only be a background thing.

I really liked The Sims Medieval approach to the Cult of the Watcher (the Watcher being the player) and I've always wanted to use it in another game in the franchise buuuut ... too lazy.
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    I don’t really add much religion, just add a few religious holiday celebrations like Dia de los Reyes Magos (three wise Kings; magi), in a very general way. (It’s like extended Christmas with family gatherings and presents, but with some minor differences.)
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Kali_DurgaKali_Durga Posts: 197 Member
    edited October 2018
    no i dont incorporate my faith on my game nor it has anything to do with my morals oof but i have this save game where i made my goddess and im always happy when EA includes indian and hindu content <3
    zivBf1I.png?1
    lXhyvWx.png?1
    KXL5D22.png?1
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    edited October 2018
    I have the holidays represented in Sim fashion in some of my games and in others I have the fictional holidays from another game. Depending on the family I'm playing they might be more into the holiday and traditions than others. Mostly depending on how I see them also. Most of my sims aren't very religious though or at least I'm not taking the time to play that out (as of yet). It's a background and part of the culture...

I do have a family that is part of a cult like religion (well kind of) that I just made it up. They have a shrine area and every member has a shrine area in their home. They are strict about dress and have other customs and even have meetings with others in a wider group outside of the family.. it's very patriarchal. Mostly I made it up to add to the backstory for one sim. The religion I made isn't bad, but it is strict and will lead to an unpleasant story line later because of conflict.

Oh I also add in churches in my save games... for weddings and graveyards. Still haven't had a wedding in one.
    egTcBMc.png
  • BrennaforevaBrennaforeva Posts: 14 New Member
    Sometimes I make families more conservative than others, but I do wish EA would make up some religions for sims to follow, not IRL ones because that could raise controversy, but I NEED sims to be able to FIGHT with their parents because In sims its not normal to get in fights but I NEED that to make myself satisfied with my sims lives, more realistic relationships. Like if a child wanted to rebel from a strictly religious family etc.
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    Nope.
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    I don't personally because I'm an atheist. I think; however, that its awesome that there are ways for people to add their own beliefs and systems for others to the game (with clubs and holidays) And this has been a very interesting thread to read through :) Thank you for sharing your ideas on it.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    I'm a Catholic, but I don't incorporate any of that into the game. In my saves, I am God.

I'm kidding, mostly. I do have them do the 'attend holiday ceremony' thing on what I call Easter, but I just imagine they're at some like... city-wide Easter egg hunt or something. Nothing super religious.
  • LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    Sometimes I do, and sometimes I don't. :) In my sim's worlds, it all depends on whom I'm playing; my witches in Sims 3 would have their own sim version, but never practiced in groups. But overall about the closest thing that even comes close to anything religious in my game now would be the holidays.
  • TWSimGamer82TWSimGamer82 Posts: 456 Member
    Kind of? I don't really incorporate religion in my game that often. I have built churches, but that's about it.They're mostly used as wedding venues and graveyards/crypts in my game.
    Sim: "I'm starving!"
    Player: *instructs sim to prepare meal* "Then eat something, you little goofball!"
    Sim: *starts cooking meal*
    -5 seconds later-
    Sim: *Stops cooking meal* "I'm so hungry!"
    Player: *head hits desk*
  • takenbysheeptakenbysheep Posts: 343 Member
    Nooooot really but I don't celebrate Halloween or Christmas irl so I don't include them in my game either. The first thing I do in all of my new saves is delete "father winter" and winterfest or whatever it's called lol. It just feels weird to me.
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    Religion isn't really a big thing in my games but there are Gods in my stories.

All witches in my save follow the Goddess of Magic Lunayra.

Gods in my game are more refered to as deities, and they aren't all powerful or omnipotent, but they are incredibly strong.

The main characters in my story are also technically demi gods, due to being direct decendants of Lunayra.

Theres also an afterlife.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • LizzychicagoLizzychicago Posts: 872 Member
    I have as much religion in my game as I have in my life. None.
    Check my builds and Sims out on the Gallery, username Lizzychicago!
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    I’m not religious irl so none. I do sometimes have my sims get married in a chapel or church from the gallery, but that’s because it’s a good backdrop.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    No not at all.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Thunderbat87Thunderbat87 Posts: 275 Member
    Very little. My sims have celebrated christmas and easter. I do as well but I ain't that religious at all. It is more about traditions.
  • Emo-usagi2187Emo-usagi2187 Posts: 600 Member
    Not really..if want to my sims to married in a church witch is rare for maybe use for it the vamps so the sunlight don't bother them but otherwise no. But if do get season sure ill be to add christmas or halloween.
    [img][/img]48163509141_6d283a2fcb.jpg06-30-19_1-14-16 AM by Jeannita Szalai, on Flickr
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    edited October 2018
    I have tried to incorporate some made-up religions to my sims' life. I have community lot churches, clubs and now also someholidays that tie into their beliefs. It's still a work in process.

In Founder Sim's Church they think there was a founder sim who was their ancestor. They're rather conservative, at least the core group that lives in Oasis Springs. They also believe that all worthy sims will be saved to the gallery and have a chance for a second life. This all could of course be true, but my save doesn't have a founder sim and I don't generally bring sims back...

The plumbobians belive that there's a plumbob that sometimes appears over the sims head and it will give their lives a direction. Most believe that the plumbob is green and means good, but some worship the red plumbob. This is kind of like the state religion. Almost all sims who don't belong to Founder Sim's Church will be buried in one of the plumbobian cathedrals. This religion isn't as well shaped in my mind as the other, probably because there are so many sims that it should suit.

I have tried to create even a third religion, perhaps a nature religion, but I feel like I can barely manage two.
    Post edited by musteni on
  • SheriGRSheriGR Posts: 795 Member
    edited October 2018
    I don't often 'stand still' with my sims families/households enough to even do some of the nice 'family' things with them that I see some folks do. That's on my list. I am mostly building and testing currently. On Sims, I'm driven. I play pretty 'Type A', but I'm not actually like that. I'm a Christian. So... I guess the closest thing to a reflection of my faith in my Sims game is that I do keep to a small number of recurring themes:
    1. I never remove autonomy from my sims.
    2. I don't play vampires, evil sims, kleptos or any of that type of thing.
    3. I don't do things I think would be cruel just because I could.
    4. My sims are, well, pretty nice.
    5. I don't run around killing sims, but I have been known to delete some townies. Hey, they're just simulations. ;)
    6. None of my sims woohoo unless married....

... you get the jist. I don't play a boring game, but it's not nearly as edgy as many folks' game. But no, I don't create little bible study gatherings or church services for my sims. That may be something I could do, but it would seem weird. What would be the point. Faith is the opposite of a simulation.
    Sims 4 Gallery
    EA ID: SheriGR
    TWITTER: https://twitter.com/SheriGr
    "What does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." ― Micah 6:8

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top