Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Del Sol Valley world size is disappointing

Comments

• AmiutzaAmiutza Posts: 1,796 Member
    I just wanna point out that 64 bit is not the save all in terms of game performance. 64 bit is only related to ram, that’s it. A games performance is not just about how much ram it can use. Cpu and gpu play a massive part in it.

Let me put it to you this way: if someone’s game is laggy and their frame rate is pretty low, that’s probably because their graphics card or processor can’t handle it, not their ram. Can have 32 gb but if you’re playing on integrated graphics on a low end cpu, you won’t be having a good time.

I don’t even understand this miss conception. If the game runs out of ram because of a 32 bit system it’s just gonna crash to desktop. But the overall performance is not only about wether or not it’s crashing...
    hhHD2XB.png
    My tumblr - A world of clutter and color
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    I will not mind this way of playing if we get more career packs, say Farming, Zoos or Education/Universities with a few enormous 64x64 lots and a few worker lots surrounding them. Most of my time would be on the Farm, in the Zoo or at the school/university anyway.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2018
    True, but a 32bit game can never even use 3.5 of RAM, (of 4GB) it is limited to 2.5 of RAM. And if you can't utililize the RAM you can wind up getting error messages for Access Violation trying to use more (of virtual) than it is allowed to use. RAM is usually the reason Sims stand doing nothing, if it's not some glitch in them looking for somewhere to do something, or an interaction that can't be performed for whatever reason. Processor, and Card also are extremely important, but most folks never even think about speed of HD and they should. That matters just as much. True a slow processor isn't going to be made better by 32GB of RAM. But laptop users never even think about what type of RAM and the actual speed of RAM. But everything about TS4 isn't a player's fault, no matter if they don't have a gaming machine. TS4 isn't going to look any better on a gaming PC. It can't. Where as older games can. That bowl still isn't going to be round. That squirrel is still going to be flat.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Charlotta11Charlotta11 Posts: 399 Member
    karlakou wrote: »
    I think a lot of people are always like "be happy with what we have" and I think we should BUT I tend to agree with the comments here! I kind of feel like this might be more game pack level rather than expansion pack level. I'm still not sure if I want to buy it??

I dont think we have to just be happy what we got becouse we pay for it. We dont just get that stuff. Even free updates, we have bought base game and some of us buy all packs too. In total this game is like 500e. So nope. We dont have to be happy what we got :)
    11.3.2019_1.06.18.png
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    karlakou wrote: »
    I think a lot of people are always like "be happy with what we have" and I think we should BUT I tend to agree with the comments here! I kind of feel like this might be more game pack level rather than expansion pack level. I'm still not sure if I want to buy it??

I dont think we have to just be happy what we got becouse we pay for it. We dont just get that stuff. Even free updates, we have bought base game and some of us buy all packs too. In total this game is like 500e. So nope. We dont have to be happy what we got :)

Yeah, there is zero justification for one having to be happy for a product they pay for.

What is great is both those for and against this pack are able to diligently vote with their wallet. And I know I simply cannot support a pack like this for $40. Maybe I’ll grab it when it’s in the 5 dollar bin in a year.
  • 83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,553 Member
    edited October 2018
    I also don't see why we should be happy with getting a fabulous GP at the price of an EP.

I've been absolutely happy with Seasons and still am (despite the bugs), but now I can also very well be unhappy with Get Famous. I would like to have that pack, but at a sensible price.

That being said, for me it is not the size of the world that has me disappointed but the lack of gameplay. I also would have been more happy with another theme, but let's leave that aside. My two daughters are super-hyped about the pack (they don't think about the bargain).
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    83bienchen wrote: »
    I also don't see why we should be happy with getting a fabulous GP at the price of an EP.

I've been absolutely happy with Seasons and still am (despite the bugs), but now I can also very well be unhappy with Get Famous. I would like to have that pack, but at a sensible price.

That being said, for me it is not the size of the world that has me disappointed but the lack of gameplay. I also would have been more happy with another theme, but let's leave that aside. My two daughters are super-hyped about the pack (they don't think about the bargain).

Honnestly I'll wait for sales. Even if it's my parents who pay for me, I don't want to buy it at full price.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member

I notice that too - that several of the younger players in my family are totally hyped by the game and the Baby Ariel addition - they seem to care less about the world as long as they can have a house full of 8 roommates - they seem thrilled. It's all us parents and older players mad enough to not no longer want it as we like creating places for our sims to live and also engage in the Career. We are the ones most likely to want several homes and specific Venues not in the game and to rotate between them all. The kids - their one house is fine. The provided Venues seem fine.

I am really curious now just how many of the 32 (with just 8 under 25) of us that buy the Sims will still be buying this pack - right now it doesn't sound like many - yet a few days ago we were all ready to buy it. Less lots for players - bad choice Maxis.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Amiutza wrote: »
    I just wanna point out that 64 bit is not the save all in terms of game performance. 64 bit is only related to ram, that’s it. A games performance is not just about how much ram it can use. Cpu and gpu play a massive part in it.

Let me put it to you this way: if someone’s game is laggy and their frame rate is pretty low, that’s probably because their graphics card or processor can’t handle it, not their ram. Can have 32 gb but if you’re playing on integrated graphics on a low end cpu, you won’t be having a good time.

I don’t even understand this miss conception. If the game runs out of ram because of a 32 bit system it’s just gonna crash to desktop. But the overall performance is not only about wether or not it’s crashing...

yep, different games have different bottlenecks, but speed of ram is more likely to be a bottleneck than the amount of overhead as you're right, running out of memory = crashing to desktop.

If I had to guess, the Sims bottleneck is the CPU. Even though there are only 20 sims active at one time (without mods), it seems to stress out the system, leading to simulation lag. Since modern CPUs should be able to handle this type of thing, it may be inefficient programming.
    Felicity wrote: »

yep, different games have different bottlenecks, but speed of ram is more likely to be a bottleneck than the amount of overhead as you're right, running out of memory = crashing to desktop.

If I had to guess, the Sims bottleneck is the CPU. Even though there are only 20 sims active at one time (without mods), it seems to stress out the system, leading to simulation lag. Since modern CPUs should be able to handle this type of thing, it may be inefficient programming.

A fair number of us do not get any simulation lag. I had to watch a video of it to see what a simmer was talking about - as he had it bad - and I get none at all. So I am still puzzled if it is truly a game issue shouldn't we all have it. I really do not have many issues I see people call bugs in this game and I know a fair number of players that also have my own experience and do not have these issues. It does make a difference on a gaming desktop from my own experience.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

A fair number of us do not get any simulation lag. I had to watch a video of it to see what a simmer was talking about - as he had it bad - and I get none at all. So I am still puzzled if it is truly a game issue shouldn't we all have it. I really do not have many issues I see people call bugs in this game and I know a fair number of players that also have my own experience and do not have these issues. It does make a difference on a gaming desktop from my own experience.

I don't get it either, but I have a good CPU. However, it's common enough that there are mods out there to fix it, and they're wildly popular. But that's why I think there's bottleneck there. Now, there are definitely other bugs that are separate and apart from performance. Thinking about it, I wonder if that's why the multitasking really isn't multitasking -- it's possible that the game itself couldn't handle 2-3x the computations that would be happening with true multitasking.

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited October 2018

I notice that too - that several of the younger players in my family are totally hyped by the game and the Baby Ariel addition - they seem to care less about the world as long as they can have a house full of 8 roommates - they seem thrilled. It's all us parents and older players mad enough to not no longer want it as we like creating places for our sims to live and also engage in the Career. We are the ones most likely to want several homes and specific Venues not in the game and to rotate between them all. The kids - their one house is fine. The provided Venues seem fine.

I am really curious now just how many of the 32 (with just 8 under 25) of us that buy the Sims will still be buying this pack - right now it doesn't sound like many - yet a few days ago we were all ready to buy it. Less lots for players - bad choice Maxis.
    If that’s true, that confirms the franchise is apparently mainly perfect for kids. I’m ok with that, a franchise for kids, but that’s not for me. I’m not a kid and I’d love a parallel franchise then for the parents and older players.
    5JZ57S6.png
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

If that’s true, that confirms the franchise is apparently mainly perfect for kids. I’m ok with that, a franchise for kids, but that’s not for me. I’m not a kid and I’d love a parallel franchise then for the parents and older players.

I could see that too. Maybe then we might get heard and listened to.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    One of my biggest complaints about Sims 4 is that we get very little for what we pay for and I am disappointed with most of the packs in which make me feel I have to use mods. I never used mods in 2 or 3 or even the first Sims game. SimCity has improved since its original SimCity. Sims 4 should take the franchise to the next level and improve upon it instead. Sorry for being harsh.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
    edited October 2018
    I just checked out 5 other big forums and people everywhere are mad about the number of lots for us in this pack. Very few said they are okay with it. So it is not just this forum and I have not even been to the even larger forums yet. Honestly the last time I saw this much anger in the games was in Sims 2 when Bon Voyage came out and we all got Securom on our pcs and also when Sims 4 first came out and was missing so much content. Simmers everywhere are mad about this - so it is not just us this time.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited October 2018
    And MFP :mrgreen: (I know your opinion about that is different, or at least I believe it is, but there was a similar outrage) I even saw a gamechanger video where the YouTuber didn’t hide his disappointment about the world in GF (and even the pack in general, saying he’d played all in 4 hours). As for that, I must say I’m careful about that. I’ve seen people stating that about Sims 3 packs as well and I’m sure when you just focus solely on the gameplay provided you could finish everything within hours. When you love playing the game though, that’s not how it works. You play your sims’ lives and the pack becomes one of the aspects of what you do with them. That’s Sims, that’s why I love the franchise. And by now some real good stuff is trickling down as well (like the celebrity system clearly being less stale* than in TS3), so hopefully that will compensate the disappointment about the world size.

*I meant something else there (googled the translation but since I think that word applies to the Sims 3 celebrity system as well I’ll leave it; I meant to say ‘made of steel’, not flexible, one dimensional)
    5JZ57S6.png
    edited October 2018

I don't get it either, but I have a good CPU. However, it's common enough that there are mods out there to fix it, and they're wildly popular. But that's why I think there's bottleneck there. Now, there are definitely other bugs that are separate and apart from performance. Thinking about it, I wonder if that's why the multitasking really isn't multitasking -- it's possible that the game itself couldn't handle 2-3x the computations that would be happening with true multitasking.

I had lag really, really bad one time in TS4, never did figure it out. It went away. The only thing I can think of that possibly caused it (and it's not even a logical one) was a restaurant I had downloaded off the gallery. No cc or mods in my game. The lag started on that lot. But then it spread to most of that save, no matter which lot or which Sim. Once I got rid of that lot it seemed it finally cleared up. The only thing I can think of was it had two cook stations and two server stations. This might have caused a problem with the game trying to generate the workers, or left over data or whatever or however it happens on the gallery may have come into my game. That's how the older games work with left over data in a lot then you install it, and your game has it, too. But TS4 isn't supposed to work like that. Go figure.

ETA: I'm not sure TS4 requires you to install unplayed lots because the older games do, since they can corrupt your game, but I just assumed any lot on the gallery is a fresh copy and not played at all. And don't even know if such a thing would corrupt TS4.
  • Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

I had lag really, really bad one time in TS4, never did figure it out. It went away. The only thing I can think of that possibly caused it (and it's not even a logical one) was a restaurant I had downloaded off the gallery. No cc or mods in my game. The lag started on that lot. But then it spread to most of that save, no matter which lot or which Sim. Once I got rid of that lot it seemed it finally cleared up. The only thing I can think of was it had two cook stations and two server stations. This might have caused a problem with the game trying to generate the workers, or left over data or whatever or however it happens on the gallery may have come into my game. That's how the older games work with left over data in a lot then you install it, and your game has it, too. But TS4 isn't supposed to work like that. Go figure.

ETA: I'm not sure TS4 requires you to install unplayed lots because the older games do, since they can corrupt your game, but I just assumed any lot on the gallery is a fresh copy and not played at all. And don't even know if such a thing would corrupt TS4.

I notice a lot less lag now that I remodelled my own lots (In game and it maxis made lots). I have very little from the gallery because of sheer laziness 😆, but I plan to get around to renovating the original lots. With Newcrest I have 3 or 4 lots I downloaded from the gallery because I'm not a builder, unless I'm really in the zone, but I typically download it unfurnished. I do this because some people use MOO when decorating and I noticed over time that had a negative effect on my save but sometimes people use MOO to build the actual lot so now I'm thinking i will go back in and just build my own lots so I can completely get rid
    of gallery builds from other people which is no offense to any builders I just noticed that way makes my game run better. Anyway maybe the gallery is turning into the sims 3 exchange? I heard some bad thing about downloading things from the exchange. Who knows though I could be wrong 🤷. Either way I noticed a lot less lag when I use my own maxis renovated lots.

*Let me add I still have the lag that came for most simmers in the pre-seasons patch, and I'm hoping it's going to be fixed with this next patch. As the prepatch for C&D fixed the bugs, during that time, in my game completely until the following patch which broke things in my game again but I digress*
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    CeCeDot wrote: »

You can read all tweets on SimsVip, Kate says that not all future worlds will be small.

What I don't understand however is how the number of lots affects the game performance when only one lot is loaded at the same time.
    And if the game is already getting too big, how can it continue for three more years?

If not all future worlds will be small, why would this one be? Her statement contradicts the excuse. There are times when the official line reminds me of Papa Joe Stalin's (and lots of others like him before and since) gambit of 'tell a lie often enough, and people will accept it as the truth.'
  • AmiutzaAmiutza Posts: 1,796 Member

I still get simulation lag sometimes, but it’s rare. Used to be much worse. Playing on a custom gaming computer, and it’s designed for much heavier games. I also get a lot of fps drops which are undeniable and maybe not noticed by people who don’t play with the fps counter on.

No doubt in my mind of the cpu bottleneck mentioned above. I’m personally a bit tired of the game being designed around mid range rigs without even a possibility of using your full power for those with gaming ones.
    hhHD2XB.png
    My tumblr - A world of clutter and color
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,176 Member
    edited November 2018
    With this new map the world will reach 121 lots (excluding the hidden lots, the special lots and the apartment lots).

I'm satisfied by this number.

• OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    How many do not require bulldozing in order to use them?
  • CeCeDotCeCeDot Posts: 230 Member
    With this new map the world will reach 121 lots (excluding the hidden lots, the special lots and the apartment lots).

Not the case for people who don't own all the other expansion packs with worlds in them.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,176 Member
    edited November 2018
    How many do not require bulldozing in order to use them?

As long as we can't add new lot or world, I bulldoze all of them in order to create my own world.

@CeCeDot wrote: »

Not the case for people who don't own all the other expansion packs with worlds in them.

Sure, I only spoke on my behalf.

But what if you want all of a hundred of your own Sims to live in one world? What about that?