Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

No More Script Mods

Hi! I have come to the conclusion that holding onto script mods until after the patch/pack has dropped is silly. So to expedite things, I've already dc'd all my script mods, ahead of time. :'( It drives me crazy trying to figure out which mods are broken. As I understand it, modders will have hell to pay to redo all their mods with an update to python. I feel their pain and this is why I decided to take out all scripts. The only thing left is cc. After all the dust has settled, then I re-download all my mods.
In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.

Comments

• Bananas_45Bananas_45 Posts: 6,773 Member
    When the patch drops there will be a thread in the Gameplay Mods section that keeps track of broken/updated Mods. Be sure to keep an eye out and check the first page for information.
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    Thanks for the response, yes and that's what made it easier last time a patch broke many mods. But it takes time to update, Deaderpool updates by the next day, bless his heart. I would rather just pick out my mods that have been updated, but it takes time. Hopefully it won't affect the cc.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    bshag4lv wrote: »
    Hi! I have come to the conclusion that holding onto script mods until after the patch/pack has dropped is silly. So to expedite things, I've already dc'd all my script mods, ahead of time. :'( It drives me crazy trying to figure out which mods are broken. As I understand it, modders will have hell to pay to redo all their mods with an update to python. I feel their pain and this is why I decided to take out all scripts. The only thing left is cc. After all the dust has settled, then I re-download all my mods.

I've weeded out my script mods to where the only ones I have are MCCC and UI Cheats; when the patch drops I'll stop playing my active games and switch to building (so I can practice with the terrain tools) until those two are updated. Then I can watch for others to be updated as I go along.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
    edited October 2018
    Hi stilljustme2, yup, that's pretty much what I do, except there are a few more non-script mods I refuse to let go of until they break, mods from coolspear1, who's mods like catch fish faster, faster painting and faster programming are ones I can't play without. Needless to say, since coolspear has retired from modding, I'd like to hang onto them as long as possible, lol.

Edit because I can't spell. :#
  • mysterionzmysterionz Posts: 3,608 Member
    CC (custom content) won't be affected
    Oh hamburgers!
  • loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,466 Member
    edited October 2018
    Bubbz3388 wrote: »
    CC (custom content) won't be affected

Not by the Python update, no, but there's no guarantee that other elements of the patch won't break some cc, particularly if it's the pre-EP patch.
  • Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,203 Member
    I just took off my auto-update and will continue to play the game with mods until the creators either pull the plug on the mod or fix them. I have some that I'm not super concerned with them working or not, they aren't that crucial to me, just add some fun and realism. Others though I rely on heavily in my game and they would drastically alter my stories.
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!
  • IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    @stilljustme2 Same here, it's just too much hassle now with the others.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited October 2018

I’m with you on this! I thought about removing all of my scripts in advance too and still might. But I’m enjoying using them.
    MCCC and UI Cheats are vital enough to my gameplay that I can't get rid of them yet while I'm actively playing my saves. I've noted down the ones I've deleted so I can check back after the November patch. I'll probably switch to Build mode and making over some of the Sims in my games with the new pack CASsets while waiting for mods to be updated -- after watching the video from yesterday's live stream I'm excided to play around with the terrain tools; I've got some ideas. B)
    Hi stilljustme2, yup, that's pretty much what I do, except there are a few more non-script mods I refuse to let go of until they break, mods from coolspear1, who's mods like catch fish faster, faster painting and faster programming are ones I can't play without. Needless to say, since coolspear has retired from modding, I'd like to hang onto them as long as possible, lol.

Edit because I can't spell. :#

I use many of those same mods -- did a test with and without the Faster Writing/Painting/Programming and they really do make a big difference.

Coolspear1 retired? Last I saw he had considered quitting but he changed his mind. A lot of his tuning mods have been vital for my games. I hope someone can take over some of them, like he took on the Faster mods from Madame Butterfly.
    I thought Coolspear had already been in and out of it once. I completely respect any modder who needs to take a break for any reason, but for my personal game now, and ease of use (because I just don't have the energy any more), I no longer use the work of anyone who hasn't been completely consistent about updating.
    (@Ingejones, omg, I'm such a fangirl!) Bless his heart, coolspear blew a gasket when C&D totally destroyed his career mods (of which I use) and tried to quit but came back and ended up working them out. Now, though, he's thrown in the towel. He has no good words for Maxis. :#

@stilljustme2, ikr? That's why I keep downloading them, I can't play without them. It's like watching paint dry to watch sims skilling up, that's why I love MCCC. I cheat the devil out of them skills, lol.

Watched the tail-end of the live stream and am very excited for the terrain tools! I just wish the patches didn't wreak havoc on existing mods.
    I don't blame him, really.
    (@Ingejones, omg, I'm such a fangirl!) Bless his heart, coolspear blew a gasket when C&D totally destroyed his career mods (of which I use) and tried to quit but came back and ended up working them out. Now, though, he's thrown in the towel. He has no good words for Maxis. :#

@stilljustme2, ikr? That's why I keep downloading them, I can't play without them. It's like watching paint dry to watch sims skilling up, that's why I love MCCC. I cheat the devil out of them skills, lol.

Watched the tail-end of the live stream and am very excited for the terrain tools! I just wish the patches didn't wreak havoc on existing mods.

That's the price to pay for adding new content. Every addition means a change in code -- tuning mods can usually get buy unless the addition affects a particular game mechanic (like the gardening overhaul broke custom plants), but script mods will have a lot more issues. And with the entire game code being overhauled in going to Python 3.7 that means major work for the script mod developers. Fortunately they've gotten enough heads up that they can start their work now, which might mean only minor tweaks when the patch is released. (I can see an MC_Fame module down the road for MCCC, though much of Deaderpool's early work will be to just hotfix so his mod is at least usable by the community.)
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    This is why I use multiple game saves that are named differently, according to their content and mods used. I started that practice for testing things after patch updates. I have 2 or 3 saves with no custom content or mods, a save with only career mods, a save with only trait mods, several legacy saves with all mods and cc used, and several saves with only custom content. Neia's career tool is confirmed that it will be updated after the November patch, and she expects most things to be able to work, with adjustments. Individual custom careers will have to be updated as well. MCCC is also confirmed that it will be updated for the November patch. However, I expect to probably wait a week or two after the actual patch before the career mods and MCCC will work.

Unfortunately, I still don't know if the food mods and trait mods I have in my game will be updated or not, hopefully they will be. And I probably won't be able to play my Go To School save (which uses Zerbu's go to school mod) again the same way. Lifestate mods, like genie mod or mermaid mod or robots mod will also probably not work anymore, so I may not be able to play saves with those mods, unless I want some of my Sims to lose the associated traits, or have the associated objects broken (and without a charging station...the robots trait would not be a good thing).

I plan to play with the mods I have until November, then in November start playing only with my custom content saves. Custom content will be automatically disabled the first time the game runs after the patch. Then, before I enable any script mods, I plan to remove all existing script mods, and replace them with updated versions that come out after the patch.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
    Hi SimsILikeSims, that's pretty much what I'm doing also. I have deleted most of my script mods but there are a few I can't play without, LittleMsSam has a couple and then of course there's the UI Extension by weerbesu that I can't play without, lol. Those mods will come out the day of patching so I don't have to do without them too long.

Hopefully cc won't be affected.
  • Kali_DurgaKali_Durga Posts: 197 Member
    edited October 2018
    i still remember the petarmageddon...since that day i've never downloaded cc objects ever again
  • ingeli2002ingeli2002 Posts: 12 New Member
    But Coolspear IS modding, I am eagerly awaiting the next part of his new series of mods, controlling the NPC:s and whatnot. His mods are not scriptmods as I understand it.
    edited October 2018
    Really?? This is great news because the last I read, he was really po'd. Heading out to TFM's site now. ;)
  • Bananas_45Bananas_45 Posts: 6,773 Member
    Kali_Durga wrote: »
    i still remember the petarmageddon...since that day i've never downloaded cc objects ever again

You can still play with CC objects, you just need to run the batch fix from Sims 4 Studio. http://sims4studio.com/ You will need a membership to download the program but, it's free.

Once you've installed S4S, from the main menu choose Content Management; Batch Fixes, Objects; Fix Objects For Cats and Dogs Patch. It's that simple. You may need to run it again as you add more furniture as it only affects the files in your Mods folder at the time you run it.
  • Kali_DurgaKali_Durga Posts: 197 Member
    Bananas_45 wrote: »
    Kali_Durga wrote: »

You can still play with CC objects, you just need to run the batch fix from Sims 4 Studio. http://sims4studio.com/ You will need a membership to download the program but, it's free.

Once you've installed S4S, from the main menu choose Content Management; Batch Fixes, Objects; Fix Objects For Cats and Dogs Patch. It's that simple. You may need to run it again as you add more furniture as it only affects the files in your Mods folder at the time you run it.

yea i know but i just cant be bothered...the only cc object i have atm is a pink piano :p
  • FogityFogity Posts: 122 Member
    The problem with script mods isn't that it is hard for the script modders to update the mods for python 3.7, in that regard it is just like any other update to the mod.

The problems dealing with the patch is three fold:
    1) There are the usual script changes created by any major patch.
    2) All script mods need to be updated, therefore unsupported script mods will simply be lost (until someone remakes them).
    3) We need to develop a decompiler for the new python version in order to look at the game code.

The last problem is the one with the most impact for the future and for the big mods (such as mccc).
    I have been working hard on a completely new decompiler, and making good progress.
    But I am not the only one working on making a decompiler work with the new python version.

Most script mods will, however, not need to have the decompiler to be updated. But without it it will be hard to make mods for the new features.
    Played since The Sims 1 and now makes mods for The Sims 4:
    Gender Less - Gender neutral pronouns and titles
    Hidden Highlight - Removes the white outline
    Unlocked CAS Parts - Unlocks hidden CAS items
    I can wait on incorporating new features into mods like UI Cheats and MCCC. As long as Deaderpool can roll out hotfixes within a few days of the patch I'll be satisfied. I'll probably spend time after the patch practicing with terrain tools and rebuilding a few houses, then when the pack releases I'm going to makeover all the Sims in my template save (which has all the premades in their original condition, just most of the houses are different) so I can start fresh with that one.
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    Luckily I keep my modded and unmodded saves separated :grimace:

I just have to avoid my modded ones for awhile longer...
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png