Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Book club - Open for nominations

Comments

• MunterbaconMunterbacon Posts: 5,082 Member
    @Munterbacon OMG, I'm not sure if I adore or am terrified by that ship. ...That's a lot of Fangs ships, actually.

A little bit of both perhaps? :smirk:
    That was part of what I loved the most! I know the number of chapters/stories can be intimidating, so it was so great to meet new people this way. <3

I know what you mean! I feel that if people see something over 100 chapters long (like my own story), it freaks them out a little bit and look for something new instead. There are lots of great new stories popping up all the time but I'm glad that I didn't miss this gem by skipping over it.

just don't bite each other. i haven't read it but i assume its about vampires based on the title. :)

BINGO! :D

ack munters watching me. lol. ilove your avis but some take getting used too.

bingo to which part don't bite each other or the vampire comment.

The vampires part... But the not biting part is a good one to! ;)

This avi is only for Halloween, so it'll change in November :)

oh i know its for halloween. its clever. and a little less scary than the orange one i never did figure out what that was.

You mean my last avi?

That was of Sage pulling a funny face. It gets lost in translation when it’s so small, and so bright! :D
    dustshaela.jpg
    Origin ID: Munter_Bacon
    Ironbound (end of season break) | STRIKE! (currently updating) | The Colours of my Heart (on hiatus)
    Well folks, I’m about to head to bed, so I’m gonna pass the torch over to @emorrill to get the Tasty Read under way whenever they’re ready.

Have fun guys! :)
    dustshaela.jpg
    Ironbound (end of season break) | STRIKE! (currently updating) | The Colours of my Heart (on hiatus)
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    Hi, everyone! Wow, Book Club was so great these past two weeks! @Munterbacon - you were a fanatastic Coffee Hour host! I hope you host again! Anytime!

@LadyLobster - It was so great to hear your insights about your story.

I really enjoyed everyone's comments and responses. Very fun! (I've been pretty much absent because, currently, most of my spare time for game-related activities is going towards Elderscrolls Online...
    Just finished the Main Quest last night! What a great storyline! And my character died so many times on the way there... but we made it. Great story.

@emorrill - It's your turn this week for Tasty Read!

What this means is...

1) Choose a shorter selection (like a single post or a few related posts) that we can read in half-an-hour or less. Share the link here.

2) This week, we'll talk about your writing, asking you questions. It's also a chance for you, @emorrill , to ask readers questions about their experience reading your work.

@Acarb90 - Since you nominated this work, it would be great if you could help with the conversations on the reading this week (if you've got the time), contributing questions and insights as needed.

Also, Cog's needed to take a break as some things came up that he needs to attend to.

... I'm trying to get myself out of the Book Club coordinating central role (though I'm happy to provide back-up and fill-in, to keep the thing going)... so if anyone would like to step up to take over Book Club, let me know!

Thanks so much, everyone, for the great conversations about Lobster's masterwork over the past few weeks! It's been so fun to follow.
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • MorningstarMorningstar Posts: 318 Member
    I think I can speak for everyone when I say ~*THANK YOU*~ to @CathyTea & @simscognito for getting this set up and @Munterbacon & @LadyLobster for kicking things off with such a great start!

Also, thanks in advance to @emorrill for taking on what could feel like quite the daunting task of being the first author to follow up. I have yet to read your work but as I was with Fangs, I'm excited to dig into a new-to-me, quality SimLit!
    From the town's first community lot to each household and rabbit hole, watch the stories unfold...
    Rebuilding Appaloosa Plains
    Prologue & Chapters 1-18 out now!
    Origin ID: Mourning-Stars | Simming since 2000
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,121 Member
    @CathyTea I only get to pick one or two posts (chapters) out of my story for people to read? :confused: Goodness, how do I decide which ones??
    ;)
    Plus I don't want them to be ones that will give out any spoilers. :p I might need a moment later today to pick out my favorite chapters and share the links to them.
    Thank you for clarifying what I needed to do because I felt kinda lost...

@Morningstar Thanks. :blush:
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    emorrill wrote: »
    @CathyTea I only get to pick one or two posts (chapters) out of my story for people to read? :confused: Goodness, how do I decide which ones??
    ;)
    Plus I don't want them to be ones that will give out any spoilers. :p I might need a moment later today to pick out my favorite chapters and share the links to them.
    Thank you for clarifying what I needed to do because I felt kinda lost...

@Morningstar Thanks. :blush:

Hi, @emorrill ! Yes, the "Tasty Read" feature is designed to give readers a "taste" of your writing! It's a real honor to be nominated for Tasty Read, since it's something that showcases the writer and the writer's work.

As you think about what to choose, think about a chapter or post that shows your writing well and that could get new readers excited to read more! In the past, some writers have chosen a prologue or a first chapter, while others chose ones that happened at critical moments. (You can also provide a brief synopsis if we need more info to understand the context.)

Here are your steps for the week:

1) Choose the post you want to use to read and add a link here.
    2) Think of a few questions for readers and post them throughout the week.
    3) Be available to talk about your writing and answer readers' questions this week.

The week's designed to be fun, instructive, and celebratory! :)
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    Hi, @emorrill ! Yes, the "Tasty Read" feature is designed to give readers a "taste" of your writing! It's a real honor to be nominated for Tasty Read, since it's something that showcases the writer and the writer's work.

@CathyTea Well when you put it that way. ;) I didn't think about it like that.

Alrighty, I will find one of the chapters that really showcases my writing as it definitely has improved over the 2 years I've been writing this story. ;) Thank you for giving me the details on what to do. <3
    Will work on getting it posted tonight!
    Alrighty everyone! :smiley:

My name is emorrill :blush: and I am so honored to have my Sam Beckett Sims 3 Quantum Leap Story be the "Tasty Read" choice for this week. I can't wait for you to discover this story that I've worked so tirelessly on for the past 2 years and I am happy to call the greatest novel I've ever written! (And that's a lot since I've been writing since I was in 5th grade! :p )

Anyway, I wish to direct you to my blog as I've improved upon the story greatly there rather than on his story thread here on the forum.

It's somewhat of a challenge for me to pick out a small number of chapters for you to read that highlight this story (as there are 63 chapters now ;) and my memory is awful. :p ) but I figured it would be best if each of you started reading from Chapters 1 through 4 to really get a feel as to who Sam Beckett is and what he does... :blush:

Chapters 1-4 begin HERE :)

Once you've read those, go ahead and skip on over to page 43 (or simply click HERE ). From there, please read to the end of Chapter 45. :)

I chose chapters 43 through 45 as the main highlight for this story as it was quite the epic showdown between the good Doctor Beckett and an evil Medicine Woman. It also doesn't contain any spoilers to the rest of the story ;) (except for the fact that his hologram friend Al does manage to find him again in this new world. :) ) and it's one of the best chapters I've written (that really showcases how my writing ability has improved).

So....yeah....that's about it. :p

I hope you will enjoy this story and thank you @CathyTea and @Acarb90 for this opportunity for me to share it and discuss it with all of you. <3

Happy reading!
    And I'll be here to throw out some questions and to answer any questions you might have for me. :blush:
    edited October 2018
    Hi fellow writers and readers. :)

I guess my first question I have for you as the reader is: Are you familiar with Quantum Leap (the TV show)? And if not, are you easily able to understand what Sam's mission in life is?

:blush:
    Post edited by emorrill on
    Anyone?
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member

I guess my first question I have for you as the reader is: Are you familiar with Quantum Leap (the TV show)? And if not, are you easily able to understand what Sam's mission in life is?

i am yes dad used to watch that. but as i've been saying reading anything is on hold til i get glasses. so i haven't read it yet.

i am yes dad used to watch that. but as i've been saying reading anything is on hold til i get glasses. so i haven't read it yet.

I missed that comment of yours...forgive me @friendsfan367 :pensive:

I'm having a bad day......

Thanks for planning to read it. <3
  • BlackUndecimberBlackUndecimber Posts: 1,116 Member
    edited October 2018

Sorry I missed the start of the week!!
    I didn't know what Quantum Leap was until I started reading your story. I kind of confused it with Quantum Break (this game, I think). Then I got curious and looked it up. I love how you took an open ending and carried on from it in a logical way. I agree, that ending felt way incomplete and honestly, heartbreaking. I'm glad he gets a second shot of a return.
    I also have a question!

I'm going to assume you already have an ending in mind; an alternative for the series ending (please correct me if I'm wrong :D ).
    When you write your chapters, do you write them according to a plan? Or do you think of chapters as you go along, saving the ending for when you feel the story has run its course?
    Me too! Kind of got distracted by the start of the World Series :#

Quantum Leap was a show that I saw often as a child/teen. I didn't watch every episode, as often they were on too late down here (back then, NZ had only 2-3 TV channels... not kidding!)

I'm working my way through the designated chapters and will probably get some answers ready tomorrow and maybe a question or two. :)
    dustshaela.jpg
    edited October 2018
    @Munterbacon The world series! :lol: You're ok. Thank you for taking the time to read it. <3
    I also have a question!

I'm going to assume you already have an ending in mind; an alternative for the series ending (please correct me if I'm wrong :D ).
    When you write your chapters, do you write them according to a plan? Or do you think of chapters as you go along, saving the ending for when you feel the story has run its course?

^Wonderful questions @BlackUndecimber :)

When I first started this story I actually didn't intend for it to become a full length novel! :p For the most part I was just doing it for fun and updating on Doctor Sam Beckett's continuing adventures in this strange new world he leaped into on a random gameplay thread. ;) (I actually went back and added more to the first few chapters, once it really turned into a novel. :p ) So in the beginning I was just allowing the events in the game to tell the story and I wrote around it. ;)

Then, as I grew more attached to the story (and my imagination began running wild ;) ) I started to write out outlines for what I wanted to have happen in the next chapter and set up the pictures to coincide with the outlined events, does that make sense? ;) I began using Pose Player A LOT more for storytelling! :mrgreen:

The story is still going strong! :smiley: (I just posted a new chapter yesterday! ) And yes, I have the ending fresh in my mind and am saving it for when I feel the story has run it's course which...it has. As sad as I am to admit it. :pensive: This story, and the characters, are very near and dear to my heart - I've been writing it for almost 2 years - and it will be a sad day when I end it soon (not sure when), but...all good things must come to an end right? I don't ever want Sam's continuing story to get old and boring.

Edit: Oh and YES the ending WAS heartbreaking! :cry: A real low blow to the fans!
    Which is why I had to continue Sam's adventures! :mrgreen:
    He may not have made it back home to Earth, but he continued to go about doing good: "Putting right what once went wrong." :blush:
    Second question. :)

What quality in Sam's character stands out to you the most? Or the one you admire the most?
  • KarilanKarilan Posts: 2,935 Member
    I saved all the recommended chapters as pdfs to read on the train home today - and then my phone died!

I will read tomorrow morning and get back to you. :) I have not actually watched Quantum Leap before so this will be an entirely new concept for me!
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
  • AshubiiAshubii Posts: 795 Member

I think my boyfriend has watched the show, but I'd never really heard of it before! That being said, his mission in life seems clear and easily understood. The little synopsis at the beginning is a big help!

What quality in Sam's character stands out to you the most? Or the one you admire the most?

I admire Sam's ability to adapt to his situation and accept it without totally losing his mind! He was panicky in the first chapter, but by the second it seemed like he's beginning to settle and accept that he's stuck there - so he's making the best of it!
    Thank you for the comments @Ashubii <3

Gosh I need to check your blog for a new chapter! :smiley: Have you posted one recently?
    Thank you for the comments @Ashubii <3

Gosh I need to check your blog for a new chapter! :smiley: Have you posted one recently?

Depends, what was the last chapter you read? I posted chapter twenty-nine very recently!
    :open_mouth:

@Ashubii I left off on Chapter twenty-one!

Dang girl you've been burning the midnight oil! I gotta catch up!!
    (Didn't realize I'd been away from the story for so long. :pensive: )
  • MorningstarMorningstar Posts: 318 Member
    Finally had some time today to do the reading! :smiley: It was very cool to read your early chapters, then jump ahead to some of your best work - definitely good choices for showcasing your writing and progress! As a bonus, I think it was a good taste to lure us in to read the chapters in between!
    I've heard of the show and remember my dad watching it sometimes when I was a kid. I didn't remember it from the title, but it came flooding back thanks to your great Sim version of Scott Bakula and synopsis of the show!
    I haven't watched it, but it was still pretty clear what Sam's mission is. As @Ashubii said, the synopsis definitely helped.

It's hard to say what I admire "most" based on only chapters 1-4 & 43-45, but something I found very endearing was his strong faith. I was raised Catholic, but I do not really consider myself Catholic anymore. (There's a lot of reasons for that I won't get into, haha.) But I really liked that his belief in God is a source of strength for him. He relies on his faith as a healthy coping mechanism when he's unsure, confused, or needs to find inner strength. Am I correct in guessing that "God's will" is part of what drives him to "right what was once wrong"? It definitely shows through your writing that his beliefs help him make the best of his sometimes unfortunate circumstances.
    From the town's first community lot to each household and rabbit hole, watch the stories unfold...
    Rebuilding Appaloosa Plains
    Prologue & Chapters 1-18 out now!
    Origin ID: Mourning-Stars | Simming since 2000

All through the story, the thing I really appreciated the most in Sam is his internal goodness, and kindness. It wasn't hidden behind any edge or walls he's built up for himself. It's out there, on display. It shows in his actions. This could be due to his strong moral compass based on his faith, and it's something I strive towards.

I haven't read many books lately where the main character is simply kind like this. I think people find it 'boring' and choose to have a tough character or a 'bad boy' type character instead, but I prefer kind people in real life and also in fiction. Kind people aren't boring in real life, so why should they be in stories? If they seem uninteresting it's because of bad writing.

That being said, I'm sad to hear that the story is reaching its end... but it has to come, and I'm looking forward to the ending you have in mind. It'll be a bittersweet goodbye, and bittersweet is always my favourite flavour when it comes to endings :)