Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Rustic Cabin Inn/ Vacation Glitch? UPDATED 10-24-2018

Hatchet_Face_PrideHatchet_Face_Pride Posts: 2,096 Member
edited October 2018 in The Sims 2
Another weird issue has popped up in my game.
A sim has disappeared while on vacation. I have never seen this before!
Does anyone have experience troubleshooting custom hotels/vacation lots?
Watch the slideshow to get the gist of the situation. (6 screenshots)
Am I missing something?

UPDATED: Took a moderator's suggestion(from another board) plus a few ideas of my own. here's how that went : (9 screenshots)
Additionally, what kind of difference would it make to reset Kenneth? I don't think he's the issue here but *shrugs
https://www.slideshare.net/TootiferRootifer81/rustic-cabin-bug-update

UPDATE #2: 10-24-2018 (8 screeenshots) Another attempt at sneaking around the glitch. Will it work or not? Either way, now we know.
https://www.slideshare.net/TootiferRootifer81/rc-bug-update-2
rjsWAWi.jpg?1
Post edited by Hatchet_Face_Pride on

Comments

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Can you load the vacation lot, and have the remaining Sims check out? That should return them all back to the home lot. Or is the missing Sim the only Sim on vacation?
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Hatchet_Face_PrideHatchet_Face_Pride Posts: 2,096 Member
    @Cinebar yes missing formerly-missing Kenneth is the only one I sent on vacation.
    Plus now the check-in desks and room-doors have been removed in the process of trying to out-smart the glitch. (see update).
    rjsWAWi.jpg?1
    edited October 2018
    Wow, who told you to do all that? It's a mess. Do not send a Sim (or Kenneth to visit a glitched lot where you have changed the zone while the game thought a Sim was stayting there, or visting there, or living there. You need a mod to find the real Kenneth and to find what is messed up on this badly edited lot before you continue with Kenneth or anyone else in that hood. MATY's may have some object mods you can use or Mootilda had some utilities and mods over on MTS that might clean all this up, but I can't think of which ones can help get this sorted. If I have enough caffiene today, I will be back when my head is clear.

ETA: @Scobre, and @Scribal_Goddess may remember or know which mods or utility tool can fix this mess.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    edited October 2018
    OK #1:
    I did not send Kenneth to the lot KNOWING it was going to glitch and make him disappear.
    I had sent a couple there previously with no issues, other than a previously-existing one I have where the beds glitch.
    THAT couple went through their vacation otherwise normally and came back just fine. So the Inn had been tested prior to sending Kenneth.
    The first slide in the update states that per a suggestion I moved Kenneth back. . . etc. That was the only suggestion made by someone else, and a reliable source of help/info.
    This glitch happened after he got checked in and got back from being at the park in that hood; maybe that wasn't clear.

#2: Nobody told me to do "all that", I just tried it, as I have my game backed up and it can't really hurt anything(I can always put stuff back or load the backup). I re-zoned the lot to community AFTER I got Kenneth off of the lot using Tombstone of L & D and got him to the neighbor's.
    I was trying an idea that, with Kenneth gone, I could re-zone the lot and move it elsewhere in the hood, and see if the lot (not the build) was glitched. If so the move would fix it. I've fixed houses this way before.
    I believe I also shortly after, put it back zoned as a hotel (when changing it to community didn't fix anything/allow the move).

And what do you mean by "badly edited"? I built the custom hotel as per the instructions in the vacation strategy guide for building your own hotel.
    I don't know WHY the glitch is (so far) but it has nothing to do with the way I built the hotel originally.

rjsWAWi.jpg?1
    I was speaking about what you showed in your second set of pics of what you had done after this glitch occured. That may have made all this worse.
    edited October 2018
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I was speaking about what you showed in your second set of pics of what you had done after this glitch occured. That may have made all this worse.

Like I said, if it did I can always put the backup back in. None of the experimental things I tried is permanent this way.
    rjsWAWi.jpg?1
    It would be good if you had a backup before you ever sent that guy on vacation. I'm not sure how to help you unless you want to try using SimPe to rescue him somehow if he is still missing or try to bulldoze that lot and be done with it. But I think you have said it can't be bulldozed since the game thinks he is still there but he is at home in reality. A smarter person than me should try to help you fix this bad lot. Usually when I have a broken lot I get rid of them if possible.
    @Cinebar Actually Bulldozing is still an option, far as I know, it's just that I would like not to.
    If I did though, would that free up the house that Kenneth came from? Theoretically it should.
    rjsWAWi.jpg?1
    I don't know, I would back up that game/save in case it makes things worse and you wouldn't be able to enter his home lot. Maybe it fixes it, but it's been a long time since I had to rescue anyone on vacation. One old rule is don't edit lots while Sims are in them or if the game thinks they are in those lots. But I guess you could try that, but I would back up my game first.
  • cmbaker16cmbaker16 Posts: 9,172 Member
    Have you tried sending any other sim to check into the hotel after the glitch? since your thinking of maybe trying to visit the lot as a community i wonder what would happen if you perhaps sent a different family to check in?

Have you tired moving kennth out his current house and moving him back in, that should in theory un-claim his room if that doesn't work it might be worth a shot to bulldoze and replace, If you have a saved copy of the build in your lots catalog.

@cmbaker16: I have not tried sending anyone else to the lot; I'm afraid something might happen to them since the lot is STILL not behaving normally.
    There is currently no option to check in, since the check-in desks have been deleted, along with the beds. I did have hopes it could work as a community lot (to get around the hotel bug) but now I don't think that's a good idea, since re-zoning it to community didn't change the fact that the Inn is still buggy.
    Kenneth is currently in the sim-bin, awaiting other experiments- so technically I already have moved him out of the house he returned to(via Tombstone of L&D). I can't move him back in where he was( I don't think, I can try), but I can try moving him back into the house across the street from where his home was.
    Fortunately other sims are still able to invite sims over from Kenneth's original home. The good news in that is that I can still treat it as a potential spouse- storage facility (as I did before), I just can't put their stuff into their inventories before I move them out from that house, being unable to go into it myself. This bites as they had portraits of themselves and various other items including those personal to them and bottles of elixir of life in their kitchens.
    I don't have a copy of the Inn. IF I am able to bulldoze, it would mean re-building something, somewhere else.
    Thanks for your suggestions!
    rjsWAWi.jpg?1
    @Olive_tehFugly hmmm interesting...i've never had this happen in my own game before is inn in the main neighborhood or a vacation hood? I wonder if this is a glitch with custom hotels in the main neighborhood?

I'll try looking around for more options to see if we can't resolve this so you won't lose all the family heirlooms.
    The third post seemed helpful if it's not something you tried...
    https://www.neoseeker.com/forums/40556/t994001-my-sims-have-disappeared/

but that's all i could find anything else had to do with sims 3 i'll keeping looking though just means i have to dig deeper
    @cmbaker16 It's indeed part of the vacation 'hood. never tried building a hotel in a main hood before :o

That third post is interesting. Wish I could see the story where they tell how they got their family back. Page does not exist.
    It's wild to see all the ways people's vacation lots have glitched!
    rjsWAWi.jpg?1
    There was a bug but it was patched, I'm not sure the store edition or the comp packs actually have that bug fix. Can't remember what caused it but I do recall a bug one time. I never had it, but I never had the EA store editions, either, and TS2UC contains those comp packs. I haven't tried to send any Sims on vacation in the vacation worlds since TS2UC, but have built hotels inside my main hoods, but I play themed Sims so not sure this bug is back in the game or not.
    Well all of my game-bits (from base-game TS2 thru XPs are all on disc so I have whatever came out with the disc, most of them at the time it came out. Although I recall waiting a bit for Kitchen & Bath stuff as the first couple people to get it complained of some kind of glitch.
    rjsWAWi.jpg?1
    edited October 2018
    UPDATE #2: 10-24-2018 (8 screeenshots) Another attempt at sneaking around the glitch. Will it work or not? Either way, now we know.
    https://www.slideshare.net/TootiferRootifer81/rc-bug-update-2[/center]
    rjsWAWi.jpg?1
    Well all of my game-bits (from base-game TS2 thru XPs are all on disc so I have whatever came out with the disc, most of them at the time it came out. Although I recall waiting a bit for Kitchen & Bath stuff as the first couple people to get it complained of some kind of glitch.

Yeah, K&B didn't contain the Seasons' EP feature to put away left overs in it's fridges in that SP. It was patched later, but M&G has bugs and it's not been patched.