Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"Sadness and Lies" at Winterfest :-(

asimbsimasimbsim Posts: 476 Member
Ahh Winterfest. A day the children have been excited about for ages, they've spent endless hours decorating the tree, making holiday decorations, looking at the presents and getting excited. The day finally arrives and they wake up early and wake their parents up - its time for presents, how exciting! They sing Zwingle Zibbs (or whatever it is) as a family around the tree, and the little girl, eyes full of wonder and excitement gets her turn to open her present...……. Inside? "Nothing but sadness and lies"! I'm sorry, WHAT??!!?! REALLY?! This makes me both annoyed and sad!
Now, I have my super excited little girl spending the day crying! :s

Firstly, why is this a thing? Secondly, does anyone else feel as sad about this as me? And thirdly, is there a way to turn this off so the children can actually get presents like a normal Winterfest? I love that sometimes you can be surprised by a really expensive gift, but I hate the random rubbishy gifts too, eg a lump of coal or nothing. I think it'd be cool if sims could choose a gift and wrap it to put under the tree.

Comments

• comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    your sims can buy gifts and give them to others using the phone
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,475 Member
    That is one gift I haven't come across in my game. But, I understand how you feel. Adult Sims may better handle the "gag-gift" but not the wee ones. That's totally messed up. In RL one of my sisters-in-law gave me a large box of pink Kleenex. Two things wrong with that. I hate the color pink, and I was in no way ill. However, I do suffer allergies, and since she doesn't know me well, having lived in another state all of these forty+ years, it wasn't an unwelcome gift altogether, either. Whichever dev came up with that 'gift' sounds bitter.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • mikamakimonmikamakimon Posts: 470 Member
    I've also had this happen to one of my sims ("Nothing but sadness and lies), but he's an adult so I found this both funny and sad at the same time. It would definitely be horrible if this were to happen to kids.

Gift giving, and even gifting flowers, can be quite tricky as well. I've had sims with great relationships give each other presents or flowers, but the recipients' reactions are always random. Sometimes they like it, sometimes they hate it. The only things I've tried so far that don't seem to trigger negative reactions are collectibles like the snow globes. I even gifted a toddler one of the rarer feathers that your pets can find, and the toddler seemed really happy with it. The gift items that can be bought from the computer are hit and miss for me.
  • littlemissgogolittlemissgogo Posts: 1,808 Member
    I haven't run into that gift often. I make sure the kids receive specific gifts from their parents as well as whatever the game decides to put under the tree, just to make sure they get at least one decent gift. Best way to avoid that is to have the parents deliver a gift personally.
    6riwm5.png
  • asimbsimasimbsim Posts: 476 Member
    That is one gift I haven't come across in my game. But, I understand how you feel. Adult Sims may better handle the "gag-gift" but not the wee ones. That's totally messed up. In RL one of my sisters-in-law gave me a large box of pink Kleenex. Two things wrong with that. I hate the color pink, and I was in no way ill. However, I do suffer allergies, and since she doesn't know me well, having lived in another state all of these forty+ years, it wasn't an unwelcome gift altogether, either. Whichever dev came up with that 'gift' sounds bitter.

Lol! My mum gave my sister nose hair trimmers for Christmas once in RL, and she really had no use for them at all!! :D I think she might have preferred sadness and lies to be honest ;)

My sim child got a Sad moodlet and cried for hours! I seem to get it a lot in my game weirdly. I also had a teenager a few generations ago who had a really bad relationship with her mum (her mum was mean and hated children, and kept shouting and being mean to her), and then Santa told my teen that she had been bad this year, and either got pet poop, coal or nothing (I cant remember which of the 3, I get all of them lots, but I remember feeling bad for her. She had such a tough life and even Santa wouldn't give her a break! :'(
  • CazzyBatCazzyBat Posts: 21 Member
    I got that a couple of times. I haven't had it in a while though - does "add present" on the pile avoid that outcome?
  • pinneduphairpinneduphair Posts: 918 Member
    I like that your sims can get bad gifts sometimes. Hate when every action only has good outcomes and nothing negative ever happens.
    [quote="hyrulerose;c-16790340"]I like that your sims can get bad gifts sometimes. Hate when every action only has good outcomes and nothing negative ever happens.[/quote]

Bad gifts are fine but no gifts is weird :P
  • pinneduphairpinneduphair Posts: 918 Member
    CazzyBat wrote: »
    hyrulerose wrote: »
    I like that your sims can get bad gifts sometimes. Hate when every action only has good outcomes and nothing negative ever happens.

Bad gifts are fine but no gifts is weird :P

Eh, I think it's funny. It's not like it causes any real harm to your sim, besides maybe a sad moodlet.
    [quote="hyrulerose;c-16790360"][quote="CazzyBat;c-16790345"][quote="hyrulerose;c-16790340"]I like that your sims can get bad gifts sometimes. Hate when every action only has good outcomes and nothing negative ever happens.[/quote]

Bad gifts are fine but no gifts is weird :P [/quote]

Eh, I think it's funny. It's not like it causes any real harm to your sim, besides maybe a sad moodlet.[/quote]

True :) It was funny when I first saw too, haha! Then I got two more times whilst her Simbo (SIM boyfriend) kept getting computers and a microwave :I
  • RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,845 Member
    My sim got that after getting a large pet poop from her husband he was messing with the gifts so..yeah.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    All I know is I've been to many Christmas gatherings where kids got something they didn't want (clothes usually) and they couldn't hide their distaste. There are kids that don't get that super-duper toy they really wanted and maybe it's trying to reflect that. Sounds like a good idea for their parent to give them another toy to lift their mood if you want them to be happier. I'm pretty sure not everyone that plays the game always wants a happy outcome. If it happens infrequently it's something you have to roll with, mod out or try to make better through your sims actions I guess.
    egTcBMc.png
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I hope this isn’t taken out. I’m sure (if you are an adult) you can remember one Christmas you can remember maybe not getting everything you asked for or a gift you didn’t care for. It’s a sadness moodlet which is daily overturned by so many different ways in game. Iv3 had this happen and to be honest, the sadness moodlet never reaches the surface, it’s always drowned by positive, happy moodlets. I can see it but it has no impact. The game needs consequence.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited October 2018
    Sums up Christmas 2002 for me. All excited, getting ready for a warm and cosy family dinner at my parent’s. Few hours later: me (crying), two kids and a husband at McDonald’s having a Big Mac instead of a turkey. (everything’s fine again by the way, don’t worry ;) ; Christmas apparently is famous for outcomes like this, because of high expectations) Or that time when I was giving a birthday party (must have been 8 or 9 years old) and ended up throwing a tantrum in the hallway because I didn’t win some game and felt that I, as the Birthday Girl, should have won. I still remember, it was awful and humiliating. I was also very wrong and it taught me a lesson. Oh, third example: my son in a toy store, very carefully choosing a beautiful PlayMobil pack with horses for his friend’s birthday who loved PlayMobil ánd horses, next day the friend throwing a tantrum because my son apparently missed the moment where his friend had stopped liking PlayMobil ánd horses (his mom: “Don’t cry, JoAnne and X are going to buy a new present for you” - me: “No we’re not, we’re going home.” ; also this ended well and in harmony, we’re just like humans sometimes)

Life happens and also includes disappointment and exaggerated expectations (and reactions) that can blow in your face). Sims 4 is way too much about happy happy happy as it is. I’m glad to read that’s not always the case then.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I banished Father Winter after he was mean to my Sim kids, but I've had a few of those 'sadness and lies' gifts. (I don't think any of my kids have received them.) I just added another gift to the gift pile and had the Sim open another one. Quite often, Sims are pleased with some rather head-scratching gifts.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    My toddlers seem to never like the gifts they get from family members. Some children are really picky too. But I don’t mind. I am the opposite of the OP in that I wish the moodlet actually had an impact because in my experience it doesn’t.
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    I think it’s hilarious 😂 Keeps things interesting in the household, clearly someone was naughty that year 🤷‍♀️

A little rude don’t you think?
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    asimbsim wrote: »
    Ahh Winterfest. A day the children have been excited about for ages, they've spent endless hours decorating the tree, making holiday decorations, looking at the presents and getting excited. The day finally arrives and they wake up early and wake their parents up - its time for presents, how exciting! They sing Zwingle Zibbs (or whatever it is) as a family around the tree, and the little girl, eyes full of wonder and excitement gets her turn to open her present...……. Inside? "Nothing but sadness and lies"! I'm sorry, WHAT??!!?! REALLY?! This makes me both annoyed and sad!
    Now, I have my super excited little girl spending the day crying! :s

Firstly, why is this a thing? Secondly, does anyone else feel as sad about this as me? And thirdly, is there a way to turn this off so the children can actually get presents like a normal Winterfest? I love that sometimes you can be surprised by a really expensive gift, but I hate the random rubbishy gifts too, eg a lump of coal or nothing. I think it'd be cool if sims could choose a gift and wrap it to put under the tree.

In my day in real life that exact gift was called socks and underwear, and it met with much the same reaction. My grandmother was usually the culprit. :(
  • Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    edited October 2018
    I actually find these gifts funny, they give me a good laugh here and there. In case you don't like them and are annoyed by them, just let a family member give them another gift by clicking on them and choosing something from their inventory, problem solved. Sometimes I'm a bit worried about how soft this community has become that they can't even handle children getting "Sadness and Lies" as presents in a game...
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
  • cchant86cchant86 Posts: 221 Member
    I find these little surprises amusing too. I love when wacky random things happen in my game. The mother in my Sim family got the box of sadness from the tree and then a carrot for a present from Father Winter, which she hated. She did not have a good holiday that year at all. 😂
    Huiiie_07 wrote: »
    I actually find these gifts funny, they give me a good laugh here and there. In case you don't like them and are annoyed by them, just let a family member give them another gift by clicking on them and choosing something from their inventory, problem solved. Sometimes I'm a bit worried about how soft this community has become that they can't even handle children getting "Sadness and Lies" as presents in a game...

Wow, ok. I in no way meant in my original post to be hating on the game. I also don't feel like I cant handle the sadness and lies present. I appreciate your response, and its great that you find this present funny - the game is for everyone, and we're all different, so no-one's going to like everything about the game, that's to be expected and is ok. I was simply disappointed that, for me, it ruined my story and what I was trying to create in my game. It didn't destroy my life or anything, and all sims recovered! I was just posting something that happened in my game, and wondering if anyone else had that experience, no dramas, insults or expression of softness intended :neutral:
    I hope this isn’t taken out. I’m sure (if you are an adult) you can remember one Christmas you can remember maybe not getting everything you asked for or a gift you didn’t care for. It’s a sadness moodlet which is daily overturned by so many different ways in game. Iv3 had this happen and to be honest, the sadness moodlet never reaches the surface, it’s always drowned by positive, happy moodlets. I can see it but it has no impact. The game needs consequence.

I know what you mean, I get frustrated by the positive, no consequences thing too (I'm a conflicted simmer! ;) ) In RL I tend to ask people not to buy me anything (eg Christmas is not my favourite time of year and if I want something that badly, I should buy it myself!), but if they do choose to buy me something, I'm grateful they put the thought in whatever it is, so I don't really get the disappointment thing. I guess my issue with the game was that, I found it a bit weird that it wasn't an unwanted present, or something they didn't like, it was just nothing - I found it a bit random. Maybe the next time it happens I'll make up the story in my head that its an unwanted gift that they didn't like or something.
  • Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    asimbsim wrote: »
    Huiiie_07 wrote: »

Wow, ok. I in no way meant in my original post to be hating on the game. I also don't feel like I cant handle the sadness and lies present. I appreciate your response, and its great that you find this present funny - the game is for everyone, and we're all different, so no-one's going to like everything about the game, that's to be expected and is ok. I was simply disappointed that, for me, it ruined my story and what I was trying to create in my game. It didn't destroy my life or anything, and all sims recovered! I was just posting something that happened in my game, and wondering if anyone else had that experience, no dramas, insults or expression of softness intended :neutral:

You're right, you didn't express any softness in your op! ;) I think I should have included in my post that it wasn't directed at you specifically, but more towards one or two other comments which leaned heavily towards unnecessary softness. I don't like name-calling, so I won't be getting any more specific. I'm otherwise going to delay the actual topic of the thread, which I don't want to :D.
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    Ran into that gift from father winter when a teen sim pretty much yelled at a random sim coming in their home and using their computer, thus the result in asking father winter a gift? Sadness and lies.

I find it amusing really of some of the random gifts sims get if you didn't buy a item to give to them directly. One of my sims got a karaoke machine one winterfest and another sim got a future cube (which they hated among being one of the most less used items in the game).
    5vJrxmT.png
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    I haven't played winter yet, but am I a terrible person for finding that absolutely hilarious? Especially if you can then give the kid a good gift. I mean, I think it's awful when parents IRL do something like that and record it for youtube (like a poor kid getting clothing in an xbox box and his family mocking him when he got upset -- though he did get the xbox later). But in the Sims? That's a riot. It's part of the reason I like sims -- those really cruddy things happen that I would never even want to do IRL.