Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does anyone else get death anxiety?

If you’ve clicked this wondering where this is going; I get really anxious waiting for a sim to die of old age. Normally when I know one of my sim’s time is up, I’ll procrastinate my way out of it by building or constant pausing and checking my phone. Does this happen to anyone else? If so, what can I do?
F€€Ł ŦĦ€ ŴΔV€ ØF ŞØỮŇĐ, ΔŞ ƗŦ ĆŘΔŞĦ€Ş ĐØŴŇ

ĴØIŇ UŞ ĆØŇŞUΜ€ ŦĦ€ FŘUIŦ ØF ŦĦ€ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ΔŇĐ KŇØŴ P€ΔĆ€

Comments

• LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    I use to, but then I decided to not treat them like they are on death's door, but still have their whole life in front of them. You can create a club and have an age restriction of elder, and add some activities for them to go along with making new friends.
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Well, I've had the opposite happen to me, lol. The generation 3 heiress of my Sims 3 legacy lived an unnaturally long life on a normal lifespan as a non-athletic mortal without any cheats or life fruit. Her great grandchildren were already teens when she kicked it. I was anxious for her to actually die and make room for new generations. :D

But for my other sims, when their time comes, it comes. :( I've already lost many to old age since TS2, so it's just something I had to get used to
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    You could try playing with aging off... or let them die and then move their ghosts back in. You can toss them in the library or move them into an old sims home (then move those households into the library when it gets full. I think you can reuse the characters later too.. after you move them into a household from the library you can age them down some and use them to populate other saves... you can even change them up this way with new names, physical appearance ect. Sim reincarnation!
    egTcBMc.png
  • AriaMad2AriaMad2 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    You could try playing with aging off... or let them die and then move their ghosts back in. You can toss them in the library or move them into an old sims home (then move those households into the library when it gets full. I think you can reuse the characters later too.. after you move them into a household from the library you can age them down some and use them to populate other saves... you can even change them up this way with new names, physical appearance ect. Sim reincarnation!
    Would killing off said sim with cheats be okay or anything like that? I’ve been looking at the same screen for 15 minutes procrastinating pressing the play button-

• Samsonguy9000Samsonguy9000 Posts: 755 Member
    AriaMad2 wrote: »
    Would killing off said sim with cheats be okay or anything like that? I’ve been looking at the same screen for 15 minutes procrastinating pressing the play button-

That is entirely up to you. You play Sims the way you want to. One time I moved someone in with the sim I was currently playing. I thought they were just a random townie, but as it turned out they were living in a house, a big expensive house. So they brought a lot of simoleons with them. I honestly panicked at that, as that stood to take away a lot of the challenge I was setting myself up for at the time. So I entered cheat mode and wiped away the funds to about what I figured the household was at before the newcomer showed up.
    I'm not always all about the challenge. I've used the wishing well a couple of times for some easy money(I love the blackmail option), but in that instance I needed the budget to be tighter.

Look at it this way: You want to set your stage to a certain setting. That requires having the right actors in the right places and dressed the right way. Using the cheat mode helps you do that. You can just call it your stagehand.
    With single player, using cheats affects only your game, and it can be used as an excellent tool done the right way.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    edited October 2018
    If you are okay with it when it's over.. you might want to hasten it along with a cheat so you aren't in waiting mode. I guess. All I know is if your gameplay makes you feel bad maybe you should consider not playing in a way that does that too you? There are lots of ways to play.

Heck I'm a deviant player .. but killing off my nurtured/ played sims is even off limits to me (unless I want their ghost). I have to play with aging off. Now townies/unplayed sims I have a lot of practice there.
    Post edited by Hermitgirl on
    egTcBMc.png
  • DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    I get anxious too, but my reaction is to wish they'd die sooner when I'm good and ready. 'Cause otherwise it can happen anywhere and at any time, and suddenly you have the whole household with a 2d sad moodlet (or half the game if it's in a public lot), an urn/grave to deal with and write an epitaph, building to realocate the sims in the rooms, items of the inventary to sell, and more. Let alone the emotional energy to say goodbye to someone I've spent so much time with. Death is difficult.
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,927 Member
    edited October 2018
    I got anxious, too.
    Then I decided to take things under my control and start using this cheat:
    sims.age_up

After many cheat codes were disabled with a patch, I had to download a mod so I can use that cheat.
    One of the reasons is that I want them to show in the family tree in everyday clothing.
    Another is that a sim who I helped to develop their skills is going to die. They should leave something behind as a painting or a photo.
    Third reason is the culling. Yes, with cheats ghosts can be added to the household, but the ghost will then count towards the household limit. Yes, the culled ghosts will stay in the family tree, but after one patch, some of the ghosts disappeared from the family tree. It still makes me anxious. I even built a building full of pictures of sims who are and were in my game in played household. Each time someone dies, I'll make their picture black and white. It's great to remember, who were in the game, but it's annoying to do it for every played sim (I'm a rotational player).
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    I only worry about if if I want to keep the urns and the sim might die when they are off the home lot and I'll need to work out where the urn is.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • vikixcvikixc Posts: 330 Member
    No, I downloaded the funeral mod. I wouldn't say I am excited when a Sim dies but it makes it a bit more interesting, it's like a proper way to say goodbye to Sims and it feels more real.
    Also, I usually play on the longest lifespan so by the time my Sim is ready to die I am ready to play with the next generation.
    2UFyFUV.png

• x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    Sometimes, I get anxious too... especially when the life bar is at the end of their life... I always thought that their last day is just about anytime soon... But, most of the time, they died when I least expected...I used to play with a normal life span, but now, I'm playing with a long life span... so, I will have more time with them... and get them retire earlier..or, you could get them to have a Long Lived trait (then your Sims will live longer).
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • AriaMad2AriaMad2 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Update: Said sim just passed away. I let him keep going until the inevitable, which happened on his way home from a birthday party in Brindleton Bay.

• NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Nope, but I am not that attached to the sims in my game. Maybe if there was some more meaningful gameplay offered in-game I might feel upset when they died.
  • WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    Many of sims are fun to play due to their background, so I keep them alive. Sometimes I will let them age, and at the end I age them down with MCCC. Some will die to fit storyline or I will delete save when over. Playing generation after generation after generation feels like repetitive to do list for me.
  • ThePinkBookGirlThePinkBookGirl Posts: 437 Member
    I had the father of my current Sim hit the ‘make the last of this time’ notification, so I was prepped for the entire household to get sad. Then he ended up living for another week, because he had maxed out fitness :neutral: And then he does on Thanksgiving! Had to wait for the most dramatic moment possible :smiley:
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    My sims are like family. Fortunately I can keep them alive forever. :)
  • TiarellaTiarella Posts: 661 Member
    I too play with aging off. I'm still playing with most of the sims I put in my game back in 2014, though I've aged-out most of EA's 1st-gen NPC parents (Bella & Mort. Goth, etc.) (For a long time I was waiting for a University pack, but eventually gave up & aged the teens to YA. Those teens are adults & seniors now, and still alive.)

@Hermitgirl -- CAS-enabled reincarnation's an awesome idea! I'm going to do that. Thank you so much! :relaxed::+1::cookie::heart:
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    I use the Sims Info Mod to let me know exactly when they'll die, and I just give them the best day for their last day. I cook them their "favorite" meal, drink their favorite drink. If they are a family sim, they'll spend the day watching movies with their family, swimming with the fam, the whole day just them, their spouse and kids.

If they were more career oriented, I let them tie up any loose ends (finish those novels, paint a painting to pass on to the grandkids, etc). If they were party-goers, I have them hit the bar one last time, have a last meal of bar food, their favorite drink. Maybe hit on a hottie or two. Who doesn't love ol' grandpa telling them they're pretty (yuck LOL).

The last day never bothers me, it's that sometimes I have nothing to do with them leading up to their last day.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,294 Member
    AriaMad2 wrote: »
    Hermitgirl wrote: »

Here's what may help you. Take the family into cas.fulleditmode and save them to your library. That way, if you find it unbearable you can start where you left off (as your Sims should have all of their skills). But, any relationships in the town will have to be recultivated.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • EIisabettaEIisabetta Posts: 5,708 Member
    edited October 2018
    I do. It's worse for me with the pets.

ETA: No advice, sadly but you got some good ones above.
    moxiegraphix on Origin
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    No - I control aging so can't happen unless they die accidentally.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• SimsFinest1SimsFinest1 Posts: 326 Member
    I get more annoyed when a Sim dies. Then everyone is stuck with the sad moodlet for days. Hard to get them to cooperate when they are so depressed!
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    I managed to reduce a widowed sim's sad moodlets by about a day by continually doing Sad interactions. Of course, the fact that he was evil and I'd been making him argue with his wife before she died may have helped.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.