Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Vampire help

I just got the vampire pack yesterday since it's on sale. I think the decor is amazing and I had fun exploring the new, but small map. It's very cool and I love the look of everything. However, today Vlad came to visit my Sims at like 3 am. One spoke to him outside and they had a pleasant conversation and ended up playing chess in the backyard. However, my Sim got distracted and ran in the house while Vlad continued to sit at the table...and sit until the sun came up and embers started to float from him. He continued to sit until he finally burst into flames and collapsed on the ground dead. Ugh! At this time the gardener came to do her job and my other Sim in the household went outside and both started freaking out at the dead vampire on the ground. No Reaper to be seen. I let the game continue to run and no reaper and Sims continued freaking ugh again! I did what I usually do and shut the game off figured it was a dumb glitch (as my game seems to be full of them lately). and started over. Vlad came back at the same time, but instead of me inviting him to play chess I talked to him on the porch. As like before my Sim got distracted and ran in the house. Vlad got annoyed and kicked over my trash bin. Now he stood there and stood there until 8am, but no embers this time. I thought ok enough is enough dude let's get you back home to Forgotten Hollow. I traveled back to there with him and the sun was out there and shining quite brightly and here comes the process again of poor Vlad getting burned alive thanks to the sun.

Ok what in freaking heck is that all about??? I wouldn't think an NPC would be THAT stupid first of all...secondly WHY was the sun out and bright at Forgotten Hollow??? I thought it was dark there all the time???

Can those with the pack please give me some insight on what might be going on and how I can fix this if it's a glitch? I don't want this poor main Vampire apparently to bite the dust simply because my game is being dumb.

Comments

• kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    unplayed vampires sometimes have issues with survival, it seems to be hit or miss (and gets quite frustrating, as you noticed). a lot of the time, they're smart enough to run somewhere safe... other times, they never seem to realize that sizzling flesh they smell is their own. if you swap lots they should vanish when you return, which saves them (temporarily, at least). i also often find myself using the needs cheat to max their vampire energy out to give them a fighting chance. you can also start a conversation with them then pick 'chat here' somewhere safe and under a roof

with seasons, vampires should start using umbrellas while outside, though not all seem to think about that. i've put unbrella stands around just to see if it helps, but haven't been able to play enough to see if it does

as for forgotten hollow, the sun comes up later and sets earlier there, but it's not dark all day (unless cloudy weather. cloudy lets vampires walk around safely)

sometimes a 'reset sim' on the vampire will work to activate their self preservation, other times they still just stand there staring into space. and there was a bug for a while that randomly granted vampires bonus powers while they were unplayed (usually sun immunity) so...some of my vampires that i never wanted to be safe from the sun can now wander around freely. i believe vlad is one of those in my game...
  • TravisBlackfoxTravisBlackfox Posts: 553 Member
    Oh man lol well thanks for the info about the sun being there later. What I did to help remedy the endless cycle my game seemed to be stuck on with Vlad not going home was to befriend him immediately when he came to the door. I then traveled back to his house in Forgotten Hollow. He's happy now and went inside and started playing the pipe organ. My Sim went fishing. It's still dark, Vlad is home and safe, and that's that lol This is a super cute pack I think and I can't wait to make my own vampires and play there as one. I guess they can walk around everywhere as long as it's night, but how are they in the rain and snow? lol I can't wait to continue to explore the pack more and hopefully no one else will venture into Oasis Springs and fry pfft lol I just wonder why the Reaper didn't come? Is that typical or was that a goof too?
    i've only killed a few vampires off via sunlight, and they were a while ago, but i recall grim showing up to collect. it's weird that he didn't show, though not the first time i've heard it (most of those reports got traced back to some type of cc/mod conflict, but i don't recall details. and not all were mod related, at least one grim just was on vacation or something)

snowy and rainy days tend to be fine for vampires (though they'll often bring umbrellas for snow and... at least my erratic vampire doesn't bring one for thunderstorms). over the ingame summer, the erratic vampire spent 4 days out in a public area in willow creek just roller skating and attacking sims as she got hungry. those four days were a constant thunderstorm and she loved it. got struck by lightning once and even got an energized moodlet about how awesome that was (that's apparently an erratic trait thing). also, be wary of 'sunshowers' and 'sunsnow' during mysterious weather days (the days with ? as their weather forecast). the 'sun' in both names means there won't be a cloud in the sky when the rain or snow falls, which means unsafe for most bloodsuckers

also, with good enough fishing skill, you can catch the unique fish from the pack at any of the handful of fishing spots in forgotten hollow. the vampire squid is one of my favorites to put in aquarium displays. you can also catch wolf eels (usually only found in the secret cave lot in oasis spring's park or behind the landgraab house) and walleyes (only if you have outdoor retreat, and usually only caught in granite falls) there, which is nice. i don't recall if can get batfish there, since it's been a while since i took a fishing sim there

double also, remember to start growing garlic if you have sims you don't want to have unexpected visits at night. some players report tons of attacks, others report next to none (i'm one of the later and would like the home invasions to be slightly more common for me. but, alas). if all sims in a household are asleep between midnight and 3 am, there's a chance they'll get a night-time visitor who breaks in, wakes a random sim and feeds off them (usually the first of these is vlad, but not always). if there's garlic growing or hung near the front/back doors and/or bedrooms, most vampires will get a moodlet about how garlic stinks and won't be able to attack anyone while that moodlet is up. but one of the powers that can be bought is 'garlic immunity' and some randomly created vampires are given that (btw, try not to give any vampires you play both the 'eternally welcome' and 'garlic immunity' traits or you'll never be able to stop them breaking in to feed. and also, try to make sure no kleptomaniac vampires get the 'eternally welcome' power unless you intend to play them as a catburglar. which could actually be fun
    lol oh man this sounds like it's going to be a fun and funny addition to my game! I found the Sixam flytrap and it's so cool, but I couldn't get a harvest thing from it to take back to Oasis Springs with me :( Does that mean it can't be harvested or does that mean it can't grow outside of Forgotten Hollow? I keep a collection of all the possible garden items growing at the museum my Sims own and would like to add the new additions this pack adds. Oh that reminds me there's no cowplant at the museum lol Oh man Sunshowers and sunsnow? That sounds awful especially for vampires then :( Man I hope they won't be burning up all over the place. I'd feel horrible.
    it can be harvested (but it doesn't count towards the collection). with the seasons expansion, plants only grow their harvestables at around 5 am. so you've got to have your played sims on-lot (or in the area if they're not on a lot) for them to spawn. if i recall, you can get seed packets for them on the computer too, if you want. possibly with a higher vampire lore skill (that skill is good for both vampires and non-vampires to learn for various things. it teaches vampires how to make plasma packs out of fish and frogs, teaches them how to make potions so they can travel during the day for a time or to reset their powers, and teaches people how to make garlic things to hang to defend against vampires or even how to 'slay' a vampire (that is, splash a cure in its face))
    Oh man lots of helpful stuff, but does this mean my non vampires can't take those plants out of Forgotten Hollow and plant them nor have them checked off on the collection? Does reading about the Lore turn them into vampires? or do they simply have to get bit?
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    Never thought that Vlad can be so unlucky... perhaps he is meant to die on that day? :# Never experienced the unplayed vampires died because of the sun.. yet... But, I would suggest if you could repair the game & see if it is still happening? Normally, I will repair the game whenever I bought a new pack.. just in case..

About the plant, you can plant it anywhere..one of my Sims plant a Plasma tree in a greenhouse... and reading the book will not turn you into vampires.. but it will give you tips on how to deal with the undead... you'll become a vampire only if you asked the vampires to turn you into... but, always lock your doors... because, in my game.. whenever my non-vampires Sims read the book, sometimes, vampires will come & visit them.. by breaking in when they are sleeping... and of course, to drink the plasma...

And this pack comes with new lot traits... and one of the lot traits that I like to use is on the dark ley line... my normal Sims couple gave birth to a twin.. one of them is a vampire! :D
    OID:- x4m1r4
    That's a good point about repairing the game. This is the first pack I bought since Seasons and granted the game was acting a bit goony before this, but now it seems worse with the odd stuff. Before I bought this I turned on the game and one of my Sims was in New Crest standing in front of a house. It was raining so he had a black umbrella wha.....I never left the house with him first of all. He also never leaves anywhere without his husband so that was odd thing number two. The third thing was that his umbrella was black when I had him with a watermelon patterned one. Just weird all the way around. Thanks for the repair idea. I'll try that before I start up the game again!
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    Cool! Hope it helps! :)
    OID:- x4m1r4
    oh yeah, as mentioned above any sim can harvest the the plants (it's actually best that non-vampires harvest garlic, unless you buy the vampire the garlic immunity power or want them to go for about half a day without being able to feed off any sims). with garlic, i found it interesting to have a vampire and a nonvampire sim together, nowhere near the garlic then move the camera to the garlic and swap between the two. vampires see stench lines coming from garlic because of their enhanced senses

i've got several households that grow all the vampire pack plants. one is my main household that has a 100% collection collection, and a greenhouse full of every plant from all packs at perfect quality. another is my vampire hunter, mina harker. she is around to 'slay' (read 'cure') any vampires i don't want to stay vampires and don't want to just kill, though i plan on having her actually 'kill' some at some point too (by talking to them out in the sunlight until they expire). two others are vampire households, one being the vatores (i made lilith a flower arranger in the new gardening career, after finding them a nice house with a large floral garden with romantic garden stuff) and the other is the 'noble vampires' from the pack trailer (a maxis upload, i got them and the 'rebellious vampires' for my game. just slightly tweaked and renamed). every household in forgotten hollow has at least one plasmafruit tree, as do most other vampires that don't live in apartments (even built a shrine to the tree beneath the noble's castle). only the vampire households that have someone interested in the cure (either to help others that don't want to be undead or as punishment for breaking rules) also have wolfsbane and garlic growing somewhere

also, yeah, i try to only make specific sims learn the vampire lore because it feels weird for others. like the goth family, even though i don't plan on turning any of them into vampires, learn the lore. because they're the goths. households with at least one vampire member tend to learn it, too. as do my three slayers (mina harker and the frog brothers). any occult type sim will learn it, too (not occult lifestate, but those that study the occult for whatever reason. witches, cryptozoologists or whatnot). like i have an 'apprentice witch' living in a small apartment in san myshuno and she'll learn the vampire lore skill, as will any real witches if we get that lifestate.

and xamira brought up another good point, too. vampires cannot turn sims into vampires against your (the player's) will (...unless you use specific mods). you either have to be playing the sim you want turned into a vampire and have them ask a vampire with the ability to create offspring to turn them or be playing a vampire with the ability to create offspring and ask a sim if they want you to turn them (there is also a phonecall your played sim can get from a vampire they're on friendly terms with, where the vampire wants to ask them something important. if you go to where the vampire wants to hang out, there's a chance they'll ask you if you want to become a vampire. sometimes they'll get distracted by other things in the area and never ask, though)

the lot traits for the pack are very much vampire-focused (imagine that). the nexus trait makes vampires walk by more often at night, nothing really special, just for flavor (similar to the teen neighborhood trait), the vampire lair trait has a vampire council occasionally send your sim items (mostly plasma packs or seeds for one of the four plants from the pack), and dark ley lines gives a chance for non-vampires that try for baby on the lot to give birth to vampiric offspring. unrelated, there are also two new forms of woohoo, both of which involve at least one vampire. coffin woohoo (one sim needs to be a vampire) and batform woohoo (both sims need to be vampires with the bat transformation power (if you have the vampires 'try for baby' in batform, the offspring will automatically have the batform power for free when they become a teen)

you will get an assortment of night-time walkbys now, too. vampires dressed in random (mostly vampiric) outfits, 'faux vampires' that do the same (normal sims that the game decides want to pretend to be vampires. great targets for hungry vampires, if you play any that way). also, there's a new hidden trait randomly given to a small number of sims which makes them very susceptible to vampiric powers (i've got 500 sims in my game and only two of them have this trait)
  • emereemere Posts: 1,755 Member

Vlad also die at my main save infront of my alien scientist :D But she took the urn to her home and wait for a few days...
    x7YVngU.png

Vlad was one of my fav ghost I ever played. He can be really creepy. Vampires ghost keep all his powers, are still thirsty and their energy goes down with sun (if they are not daywalkers), but they can not die again <3
    2pSMIfb.png

Now he is resurrected (as a vampire can be). I used the well of wishes, the Ambrosia is not working with ghost vampires :| Poor Vlad, he is trying to recover his kingdom but there is a lot of competition in my game :p
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Different vampire & problem, but still needing help. I've a vampire that is constantly having the garlic reaction, as in a new one pops up as soon as the old one expires. Doesn't matter what lot the vampire is on, either. There is no garlic in inventory. Vamp needs a drink, but all attempts fail. Have stopped that save pending advice.
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    Different vampire & problem, but still needing help. I've a vampire that is constantly having the garlic reaction, as in a new one pops up as soon as the old one expires. Doesn't matter what lot the vampire is on, either. There is no garlic in inventory. Vamp needs a drink, but all attempts fail. Have stopped that save pending advice.

Uh, could you try exporting the sim to a brand new save and testing? @Oldeseadogge
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
    Provided it doesn't cause problems. I think in TS2 terms, where moving sims from one world/save to another tends to corrupt things. Am presuming it would be by however one sends sims back to the gallery.
    when you do upload that sim to the gallery, can you share it, too? i want to download it and check something out with one of the mods i use

uploading/downloading sims shouldn't corrupt things like it did in 2, this is a vastly different setup, even if there are major similarities. the only thing i could think of is maybe certain moodlets or temporary traits get stuck if the sim is uploaded with them (like childhood phases as an example)

also a few other things for that vampire: a temporary...not solution or anything, but you could use an aquarium to have them buy guppies, make plasma packs and drink in the meantime while trying to figure out what's wrong (i always have an aquarium in every vampire's house just for at least quick snacks). you could also try giving them the garlic immunity power which should remove the moodlet ...and if it does, you could then have someone make them the 'reset powers' potion so you can give them all their old powers except the garlic one and see if the moodlet stays away. if the power doesn't remove the moodlet, we'd then know what to focus on
    It appears that the game is engaging in psychological warfare. After several days of not use, went back to tend to the suggestions and discovered that the problem is currently gone. Glad it's not there, but what's with this wacko game? As a precaution sim went to the Hollow to check on plasma fruit, and was able to get some from the tree behind Vlad's house. This should help.

Speaking of Vlad, did some tinkering with the bugger. Now has black hair &c. with a handlebar mustache, which suits him quite well. Formal rig is the stereotypical black tux with tails and top hat. Now all I need is a monocle.
    don't you love when that happens? you feel like you've got to go "i swear i wasn't making it up, it really happened!" and also makes it harder to figure out exactly why it was acting up in the first place...

but hey, glad it fixed itself. though i do still suggest the aquarium or fishbowl. they really do help a lot, and not just with 'vegetarian' vampires

also, you're right about vlad, he's perfect for a vaudeville villain type. and thankfully we're getting a monocle with the pack next month
    Perfect! Maybe I should re name him Snidely Whiplash.