Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to use Nraas Overwatch?

Hello! I want to make my Sims 3 Game run faster and I downloaded the Overwatch pack. How do I make sure this will operate in my game?

Comments

• Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    Overwatch is a script mod and is handled just like other mods. Specifically, you need to set up the mods framework in your TS3 game folder (in Documents), place Overwatch in Mods\Packages, and then delete the scriptCache.package from the game folder. Here's the Mod the Sims guide to installing mods, in case it helps:

http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Installing_Sims_3_Package_Files/Setup_and_Files

The offered download includes two simple mods (NoIntro and NoBuildSparkles) so that you can confirm mods are working in your game. Or if you prefer, you can manually create the mods setup yourself and just add the resource.cfg file. Either way, you'll know that Overwatch has loaded into your save game when you click on City Hall and see "NRaas..." as one of the options in the pie menu.

Once installed, Overwatch will take care of business itself; you don't have to do anything. You can play with the settings if you like, but OW will do its normal cleanup without any prompting from the player.

If you're looking to clean up your game, you might want to install NRaas ErrorTrap too, and perhaps Register and Traffic. (And Traveler, if your sims travel and you'd prefer that your game not break during the transition.) Each of these mods helps in its own way, and they were built to work together. If you'd like to know more about these mods, you can read the relevant FAQ pages, or ask in NRaas Chatterbox.
  • Options
    AftrNoonOvrRideAftrNoonOvrRide Posts: 79 Member
    Overwatch is a script mod and is handled just like other mods. Specifically, you need to set up the mods framework in your TS3 game folder (in Documents), place Overwatch in Mods\Packages, and then delete the scriptCache.package from the game folder. Here's the Mod the Sims guide to installing mods, in case it helps:

http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Installing_Sims_3_Package_Files/Setup_and_Files

The offered download includes two simple mods (NoIntro and NoBuildSparkles) so that you can confirm mods are working in your game. Or if you prefer, you can manually create the mods setup yourself and just add the resource.cfg file. Either way, you'll know that Overwatch has loaded into your save game when you click on City Hall and see "NRaas..." as one of the options in the pie menu.

Once installed, Overwatch will take care of business itself; you don't have to do anything. You can play with the settings if you like, but OW will do its normal cleanup without any prompting from the player.

If you're looking to clean up your game, you might want to install NRaas ErrorTrap too, and perhaps Register and Traffic. (And Traveler, if your sims travel and you'd prefer that your game not break during the transition.) Each of these mods helps in its own way, and they were built to work together. If you'd like to know more about these mods, you can read the relevant FAQ pages, or ask in NRaas Chatterbox.

Thank you so much @puzzlezaddict :D This will be a major help after I experienced a fatal error in University. My Sims came home from Graduation and...the game just stopped working. I couldn't shift to the other family members anymore.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Thank you so much @puzzlezaddict :D This will be a major help after I experienced a fatal error in University. My Sims came home from Graduation and...the game just stopped working. I couldn't shift to the other family members anymore.
    I would strongly suggest adding in NRaas Traveler and ErrorTrap as well if this is one of the key problems to solve. Traveler, working together with the other two, is what helps prevent such travel and arrival related glitches from happening in either direction.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    AftrNoonOvrRideAftrNoonOvrRide Posts: 79 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    I would strongly suggest adding in NRaas Traveler and ErrorTrap as well if this is one of the key problems to solve. Traveler, working together with the other two, is what helps prevent such travel and arrival related glitches from happening in either direction.

Thank you very much! @igazor I can find the mod in the nraas page, correct?
  • Options
    Yes. The new site is still a little fussy to use, we're working on it, but all of the mods are reachable from the top "Mods" button.
    https://www.nraas.net/community/Mods-List
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    SourgummycandySourgummycandy Posts: 2 New Member
    the overwatch and error tap actually saved me from stress of playing the game! My game started lagging to the point where it's no longer playable and it's stressing me so much!!! but after installing it, the games seems to be playable now. We'll see how it goes.
  • Options
    Knoxklay11Knoxklay11 Posts: 1 New Member
    This thread is a life saver. I have a ton of content in my sims game and because of it my game has always been agonizingly laggy and freezes constantly. I've even experienced a few save-killing errors. I downloaded the mods suggested (use the modthesims link puzzlezaddict included above, this link is EXTREMELY helpful) and I'm already noticing a significant improvement in my game's performance. Best of all, the Traveler mod allows your sim to travel to ANY world in the game, so you can participate in all the dlc activities without having to permanently move your sim out of town. Thank you so much for the help!
  • Options
    hugzncuddleshugzncuddles Posts: 223 Member
    @igazor Hi, I'm doing a brand new install of the game, all EPs and SPs (except KPST as unavailable) via Steam on a new computer. Having popped over to the new NRaas site to check out the mods list, I noticed Errortrap has its own version for Steam installs, but some other mods don't. Is it ok to use the other mods (e.g. Traveller, Register, Overwatch) without a Steam specific version?

Many thanks. :smile:

• Options
    @igazor Hi, I'm doing a brand new install of the game, all EPs and SPs (except KPST as unavailable) via Steam on a new computer. Having popped over to the new NRaas site to check out the mods list, I noticed Errortrap has its own version for Steam installs, but some other mods don't. Is it ok to use the other mods (e.g. Traveller, Register, Overwatch) without a Steam specific version?

Many thanks. :smile:

Hi there. The only mods that care about Steam vs. Origin/Disc installs are Core Mods and even then the "danger" is that with the wrong variant in play you might get the mismatched core version warning upon startup. There is functionally no difference between Patches 1.67, 1.69 and Steam vs. Origin once the games actually startup, it's their internal build numbers that can trigger the warning.

There are only six Core Mods in popular usage for TS3 and ErrorTrap happens to be one of them, hence the special variants for Steam and 1.69. The other mods do not require such special handling. For future reference, here are the other five Core Mods for which this would make any difference.

NRaas UntranslatedKey (really for developers)
    CmarNYC's XCAS
    Consort's 2x Weight/Fitness
    GameFreak130's Loading Screen Overhaul
    AwesomeMod

Besides these, if a mod is proclaimed to be okay to use for 1.66/67/69 then it's fine to use for any of them, and Steam vs. other install platforms will not matter. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    hugzncuddleshugzncuddles Posts: 223 Member
    Thanks for your fast reply igazor, think I understand it better now and I appreciate the list of the other 5 Core mods for future reference. :smile: