Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Really EA Maxis Get Famous:(EP)(Please Close)

Comments

• Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I'm going to agree with the OP. Our game, we rule, our imagination. This game acutally hinders player control. There were lots of times I didn't want it to snow in the desert in one of the university hoods in TS2. I had the control to skip winter. I haven't purchased Seasons for TS4, I'm not sure I would want the game to dictate to me which season it is at my Sim's home lot and or in the world. I'm not a big fan of things written in stone especially when it's my game, and I'm told I rule, but we don't. In real life we can't turn the earth on it's head because it turns on it's axis but in The Sims we are supposed to be able to operate outside the laws of nature more so than any other game that makes us play within a very strict world and rules. :/

Unfortunately the only deserts that they seem to recongize in the sims is the low deserts around southern california that are completely barren and hot even in winter plus there is this common belief and miscoception that deserts don't get snow they do, also there is anotehr miss coception that all deserts are low elevation deserts and deserts can't be cold, but that can't be true because I live in one of the most beatiful high deserts in this lovely country, it don't snow munch here and it don't last long but it does look magically when the desert landscape is covered with snow.
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

"Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
  • puderosasimspuderosasims Posts: 522 Member
    Another snow thread from you? Just play in a different world.
    Origin ID: puderosasims | Simblr
    English isn't my first language, so please excuse any mistakes.
    tumblr_n8pqhqmpdh1th4xn0o1_400.gif
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Cynna wrote: »
    I wish that Seasons was left up to the player to decide. I mean, it's technology and a feature from, what, ten years ago? It's a shame that the EA crew keep building the game that they want and forgetting that it should be up to the players to decide what they want. (That shouldn't include a machine that requires a certain level of skill and has a built-in percentage of failure either.) Complete control would have been a win-win for every customer, not just some.

No it's not. It is newly created technology for this game - just like Sims 2 weather was created for that game and engine, and then created anew for the updated changed engine and language for Sims 3. Each one took the work of creating from scratch for the language and design and engine of the game.

That's like saying ten years ago you baked a cake. If today you bake the same kind of cake it is not from anything you did 10 years ago just because you baked that kind of cake before. It's all new each rendition - even programming has vastly changed in things like that in the last 7-8 years. It is far from the same and nothing carries over from a different game.

I take your meaning, but your analogy doesn't hold up. If I baked a cake 10 years ago, I understand the general idea of baking a cake and the general requirements to get the expected result. There may be some things that require changing -- perhaps, I have a new oven or a dark baking pan instead of light, so some adjustments need to be made. Yet, the general concept of making the cake remains the same. After ten years, shouldn't EA know what is needed in order to code the intended result of providing the paying customers with the option to control weather on the fly in the game that we paid for?

Also, the fact that there is a weather machine proves that it is possible to control the weather. It's been built into the game already. For those who want the game play option of the weather machine, I find no fault with that whatsoever. More power to you. However, for those of us who want to control the weather for story purposes, a machine that requires a skill and has failure built in is not an expedient option.

We all love playing Sims games, however, we don't all play the same way. In my case, I don't "play" in the conventional way. I pose Sims and I write stories. So, I don't want to waste time bringing a Sim to a lot, cheating up a skill, fussing with the machine to get the result that I want, then hoping that the outcome sticks around for a while (snow melting too quickly in certain areas or not sticking at all).

It would be nice to provide options for the many, not simply the lucky few who happened to win the feature lottery, so to speak. TS4 isn't a win-win game. It always seems as if someone has to be on the losing end, in every situation.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited October 2018
    I make my sim learn everything - I use no cheats at all - no mods or CC. I play like I would learn as a real person. No shorcuts - no getting anything you didn't earn with hard work, and no story I have to fabricate in my head. If I have a picture of my sims it is not posed or full of fake stories - it's a picture of my sim in action in the game.

But technology is a whole other ball game - it is not transferable and changes constantly. There is no easy out for programming and there is no difference in the work needed done to build a game from scratch - everytime the game start a new. So technology we had in 2009 barely resembles tech in 2014 and has even changed again in between 2014 to 2018 - that is why they keep overhauling what was done before and why tech did not allow some things in 2014 they can now add in 2018.

They did not even use the same tools and software making weather in 2017 they used when they were making Sims 2 or 3 was my point. How one plays is similiar because that is your playstyle - but how the game works is not. Believe me I can do all sort of things to previous Sims games - that I do not have a clue how to do in Sims 4. It is that different.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    edited October 2018
    I do appreciate that it can be frustrating when they game limits you. But you know, a more positive way of looking at this would be, instead of thinking Seasons ruined my game because it didn’t introduce settling snow in Oasis Springs, to say: Before seasons, we had no snow at all. But hey, now we have snow which settles in most of the worlds! Ok, I would have liked snow to settle in Oasis Springs, but I can always play in or visit those other worlds. It’s still better than nothing - an improvement in what we had before seasons and certainly not something which makes the game worse.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I do appreciate that it can be frustrating when they game limits you. But you know, a more positive way of looking at this would be, instead of thinking Seasons ruined my game because it didn’t introduce settling snow in Oasis Springs, to say: Before seasons, we had no snow at all. But hey, now we have snow which settles in most of the worlds! Ok, I would have liked snow to settle in Oasis Springs, but I can always play in or visit those other worlds. It’s still better than nothing - an improvement in what we had before seasons and certainly not something which makes the game worse.

I see nothing wrong with OP’s wording. He’s disappointed there’s no legit snow in Oasis Springs and now not in the world we’re about to get either.

Are you in disagreement that the solution to all of this would have been for the game to include in Settings or somewhere a way we can choose the kind of weather we actually want for each world instead of being stuck with what the game developers decided or having to resort to a mod? Because it sounds like the OP is advocating for more options for the players which I am in full support of.
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »

I see nothing wrong with OP’s wording. He’s disappointed there’s no legit snow in Oasis Springs and now not in the world we’re about to get either.

Are you in disagreement that the solution to all of this would have been for the game to include in Settings or somewhere a way we can choose the kind of weather we actually want for each world instead of being stuck with what the game developers decided or having to resort to a mod? Because it sounds like the OP is advocating for more options for the players which I am in full support of.
    No, I agree. But, before the OP edited their post it sounded as though they were saying that the lack of snow in one world had made their game worse which is silly. Anyway, I’m not here to argue. I just wanted to spread some positivity :)

Happy simming.
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited October 2018
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    I make my sim learn everything - I use no cheats at all - no mods or CC. I play like I would learn as a real person. No shorcuts - no getting anything you didn't earn with hard work, and no story I have to fabricate in my head. If I have a picture of my sims it is not posed or full of fake stories - it's a picture of my sim in action in the game.

But technology is a whole other ball game - it is not transferable and changes constantly. There is no easy out for programming and there is no difference in the work needed done to build a game from scratch - everytime the game start a new. So technology we had in 2009 barely resembles tech in 2014 and has even changed again in between 2014 to 2018 - that is why they keep overhauling what was done before and why tech did not allow some things in 2014 they can now add in 2018.

They did not even use the same tools and software making weather in 2017 they used when they were making Sims 2 or 3 was my point. How one plays is similiar because that is your playstyle - but how the game works is not. Believe me I can do all sort of things to previous Sims games - that I do not have a clue how to do in Sims 4. It is that different.

The thing with technology is that it is always getting better and more powerful. Can we agree on that? Technology changes in order to make improvements and to make things possible that were impossible before.

In your own comment, you state that technology has made it possible to code things now that weren't possible even four years ago. Then, why is it so much harder for EA to code things that were possible over a decade ago. Even if it requires a different route to get the same result, by your comment, the same result should be possible and more, no?

I just wish that EA would take advantage of the technology at hand to provide players with the freedoms that we had before and more. It seems counterintuitive that modern technology is incapable of accomplishing what was possible years ago.

My brain can't wrap itself around that notion. To me, that's like saying a caveman could start a fire, but us -- with our matches, butane lighters, gas stoves, and battery lighters -- can't achieve the same result (much easier, at that) because those technologies are more complicated and/or different than the method that the caveman used to start a fire.

ETA: Sorry, OP. It's not my intention to hijack the thread. I just felt that you should be able to have snow in the desert if you want to. That's what playing the Sims used to be about.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Amistri2016Amistri2016 Posts: 65 Member
    QueenMercy wrote: »
    Do we already have confirmation that it won’t snow in the new world?

No. But it's being assumed it's based on Los Angeles, which is urban, not a desert, and which doesn't snow.

Also honestly, a desert world where snow stays probably isn't going to interest enough Simmers to ever get developed. The OP should look into the weather control device in the Seasons pack.

In the real world it does indeed snow in the Sahara Desert so snowing in a desert is not abnormal. Deserts can get extremely cold in the evenings.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

No, I agree. But, before the OP edited their post it sounded as though they were saying that the lack of snow in one world had made their game worse which is silly. Anyway, I’m not here to argue. I just wanted to spread some positivity :)

Happy simming.

Worse is subjective, so no, it's not silly they may actually feel that way. It would be better if we didn't dismiss their frustration but support more choices (at least that is what I'm told sometimes) or tell them to go play in a different world. Nope, maybe someone likes the hills and valley or the mounds and ditches, and it's not about the terrain but the drawing of the land and they wanted snow on it. :)
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • ehaught58ehaught58 Posts: 2,765 Member
    To be fair to the OP, I have been in snow in the deserts of New Mexico. Maybe it was only an inch or two, but everything was completely covered. It was very beautiful! I liked it a lot better than 6 feet of snow in Iowa. And not near as cold, too!
    But, I totally agree with those of you that have said we should have been given the option to control the weather ourselves in each world. You know, “You Rule!” and all of that, that was initially promised to us from the get go.
    fkgck4xkargo.png
    "If you build it, they will come." - Movie: Field of Dreams
  • IdontrcallIdontrcall Posts: 19,349 Member
    It really should have been up to the player to decide what worlds get what weather. That was disappointing.

And I think the OP said that when he uses the weather machine, the snow will still not accumulate in Oasis Springs. I've actually not used the weather machine yet. Just let nature take its course.
    Check out my cooking Youtube channel: Living with Leigh
  • thatsnotswegthatsnotsweg Posts: 697 Member
    edited October 2018
    Cynna wrote: »
    In your own comment, you state that technology has made it possible to code things now that weren't possible even four years ago. Then, why is it so much harder for EA to code things that were possible over a decade ago. Even if it requires a different route to get the same result, by your comment, the same result should be possible and more, no?
    No, not necessarily. Progress isn't always linear, whether in tech or any other aspect of life. It's possible that we may still get things from previous games in the future, but just because they've been done before doesn't mean they will be possible in this game. It's a completely different engine with different constraints.
    Post edited by thatsnotsweg on
    gallery ID: thatsnotsweg

vYCrjvm.png
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    edited October 2018
    The only way I'd support this possibility is if it were absolutely and completely optional... and I wouldn't be using that option. I'm also not for them backtracking for an unpopular request if this is what it is (and I pretty much think this is the case). I personally don't want to have snow in a desert or an arid region. I've lived in a semi arid area before for some time and in that area I only saw snow once. It blanketed the ground very lightly in the middle of the night and was gone very quickly after the sun rose. It was pretty exciting considering no one could remember it happening before in that area (I had elderly aunts and uncles there).
    I can see wanting it for stories made possible by the weather machine but that's about it.. never tried it but I understand through posts that it doesn't stick that way and that is disappointing.
    I've actually been moving more sims to Oasis Springs since Seasons because it's the only area without snow. I look forward to the new world also not having snow. Hopefully..
    I'm very happy with the format they made for weather.. every area has a different climate and the weather that happens in those areas make sense.
    egTcBMc.png
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    They can’t please everyone is the first answer you get. Is that true? I don’t think so, I know another Sims game where you can have snow in each and every world you want to. Or not. Every single player can have it the way they want it.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Rasia SilverRasia Silver Posts: 101 Member
    The reason Oasis has no snow is because of the aliens :p . Maybe that's why Del Sol Valley has no snow ;) .
  • BusufuBusufu Posts: 1,966 Member
    The reason Oasis has no snow is because of the aliens :p . Maybe that's why Del Sol Valley has no snow ;) .

What have Aliens to do with snow?

Sul Sul!
    On my blog (German) you'll find two completed vampire stories 🦇 and an ongoing ghost story 👻.
    I'm also posting about my I'm surrounded by idi🤪ts! - challenge, in which I've now reached gen 9.
    Thanks for stopping by! 👋
    edited October 2018
    Like I said in the other post:
    ]Not going to buy it number second thread (neighorhood)[/url] after I decided I was going to stick to the rules they said in the beginning of the series and on the site, I don't care the weather expanded worlds, but Oasis Springs is one of the worlds that is part of the base game that should not have got discounted with snow layer because it has mountains it has dinosaur museum, we have that here and we are at elevation 4200=4500 feet above sea level. The most common phrase is create your own stories you rule, Seasons broke that because its like saying only 2 of the original worlds would get snow but the 3rd one won't.
    Post edited by Sid1701D9 on

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2018
    They can’t please everyone 🤷‍♀️
    {EA_Lanna: Quote removed]

well it is a fact it would be nice if they could though

They absolutely can by giving control to the player instead of their idea of what is fun. Players tell strange and funny stories, sometimes absurd stories but if they can't make snow or rain in a particular area of the game, then those types of play or even a normal desert gets snow sometimes, is taken away from them. I think TS4 has forgotten the root of The Sims is to let players go in any direction they want to go, and keep the devs hands off which way they go, that is why TS was so successful. And the ones that followed because players even stumped devs with how they did that and or why. TS4 seems to be the developers' game rather than the player's game.

ETA: And my two cents, if the reason is because the graphics would look horrible for some reason with snow on the ground like OS or the new world, then all I can say about this new techno and engine is it ain't all that and a bag of chips if they can't make it look nice and work correctly if that is the reason. Or is the reason because they didn't want snow in those areas. Either way, it's not what this series is about, but what the player wants to do and enjoy.
    Post edited by EA_Lanna on
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    If Maxis cannot let us control the weather perhaps they could have the occasional "out of place" freak snowstorm that lasts a while in places it doesn't snow now.

(It snowed in Lebanon, Jordan, Turkey, Israel and the Palestinian Territories in 2013 and you don't think of those places as cold ones). So unusual it killed a lot of people not used to it.
  • smurfy77smurfy77 Posts: 1,250 Member
    You can use a weather machine to try to make snow if you are really that bothered with it. I am very excited for this pack as I think it will add some more fun to the game. I am actually really sorry that so many seem to be bummed by it, I think it was a very nice surprise.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    smurfy77 wrote: »
    You can use a weather machine to try to make snow if you are really that bothered with it. I am very excited for this pack as I think it will add some more fun to the game. I am actually really sorry that so many seem to be bummed by it, I think it was a very nice surprise.

It's already been said that using the weather machine allows snow to fall but it does not accumulate in certain worlds that wouldn't naturally have snow, like in Oasis Springs. So in these worlds, you cannot build snowpals, have snow ball fights, make snow angels, etc which is what OP wants to be able to do.

Therefore, the weather machine is not the solution.
    edited October 2018
    I am currently occupied right now I will resume committing on or after 0ct 24, until then keep posting I will post when I get back or have some time.

• cyberlinabluecyberlinablue Posts: 4 New Member
    I wish I had so much more time to play sims and get as advanced as some of you guys! Great info.
  • smurfy77smurfy77 Posts: 1,250 Member
    smurfy77 wrote: »

It's already been said that using the weather machine allows snow to fall but it does not accumulate in certain worlds that wouldn't naturally have snow, like in Oasis Springs. So in these worlds, you cannot build snowpals, have snow ball fights, make snow angels, etc which is what OP wants to be able to do.

Therefore, the weather machine is not the solution.

Yeah but there i the ability to travel, I know it may not be what they want but that is available and they can do all of those things in a place where it does accumulate.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top