Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Beware of the Nov patch if you have script mods....ugh

That light at the end of the tunnel? It's a train.
The five-second rule does not apply when you have a two-second dog.

Comments

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    It's unlikely to be much worse than any other typical big patch except for what remains of unsupported mods (most of those, I think, died over the year anyway). Modders have at least a month's notice plus the support of Maxis staff to adjust to the new Python version, and they've already been hard at work dealing with the issues. At the moment, there's lots of confidence that everything will be sorted out for updating and making new mods before that patch comes out. And those of us who run broken/updated mod info pages, both here on the forums and elsewhere, are prepared to help people understand what's broken and what isn't (not everyone knows which are "script" mods, plus I believe they're hoping this will be the same patch as the Terrain/Career patch) and to help them find updated or replacement mods.

EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    ClaimingTheFifthClaimingTheFifth Posts: 417 Member
    @luthienrising It's really wonderful what you've done in the past...and are ready to do in the future. I just get so...TIRED of deleting old mods and replacing and hunting for updates. It just seems like it never ends! I'm very close to dumping all the "mods" (those that affect our simmie's behavior) and keeping the CAS and build stuff. I generally build more than I play anyway...one of these days.......
    That light at the end of the tunnel? It's a train.
    The five-second rule does not apply when you have a two-second dog.
  • Options
    MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    I have so much respect for modders who continue to update and fix their mods in the face of things like this! I salute you guys.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Yep. Sooooo what you gonna do OP? Not update or update and say a prayer?
  • Options
    Okto84Okto84 Posts: 198 Member
    Patches tend to affect script mods sooner or later anyway, I find any unsupported older mods have started to develop problems or stopped working already.
  • Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    I'm excited for the change. Anything that will help the game run better/smoother is good right? I'm grateful to the modders who will work so hard to get our favorite mods back online, and I'm sorry for their extra work, but this python upgrade should make the quality of the game over-all better from what I understand.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Options
    bionicdessertsbionicdesserts Posts: 320 Member
    edited October 2018
    I'm always mystified by people who get upset that mods have to be updated. Yes ea is a trash company who stays doing shady stuff but modders are playing on their field not the other way around. They have no obligation to take any mods continued function into consideration when they are working on their product. Maybe modders themselves can get tired of the maintenance involved but it's not an unexpected price of being a modder. If you're a player who doesn't mod it's not even that hard to keep up to date. Copy and paste the name of the mod into google and if updated download the new one/delete the old one. If not updated delete it or you can play the odds that the update didn't effect it and let it ride for a while to test it out. It's even easier if you know about this board because luthienrising always makes a thread so all you have to do is check for the mods you have and if something you have isn't mentioned in the first posts just ask. Of all the things to be mad at ea about mods having to be updated seems so weird. It's not like they're messing up the mods for giggles, either they're fixing bugs or upgrading the game somehow.
  • Options
    SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    As a player who doesn't create any mods but uses them, I am sad that this upcoming patch is likely to break EVERY. SINGLE. SCRIPT. MOD.
    This includes ALL custom careers, ALL custom traits, and MCCC. The scope is more extensive in what will be broken than ANY single past patch. I think if they don't leave open a door to the modders, there will be a mass player exodus, which means sales will drop substantially. Yes, custom content that doesn't involve script mods will likely keep working, BUT there is no guarantee: past patches have broken custom content before. And Sims4Studio, a program that I use for batch fixes to update custom content I have already downloaded, will have to be updated or discontinued entirely. Some example of Sims 4 Studio batch fixes: update bookcases for Toddlers (adds the toddler books to custom content bookcases and adds the option to "read story to..." to cc bookcases), general CAS update for Seasons, Lighting fix (yes, custom content lights were broken in one past patch). Other batch fixes I have used: Disable CAS cc for random, Enable or Disable CAS cc for vampires, Enable or disable CAS cc for aliens.
    Disabling CAS cc is useful in say, preventing townies from showing up to restaurants, pools, or other community lots with wings (which are typically worn as rings or hats), horror face paint, or unusual skin colors, along with the usual clashing/fashion crime townie wear.

Right now, one modder has created a "make your own career" website, but the whole thing is dependent on a career commons .ts4script file. (The site can be found here: simneia.fr/home.html) Unless Maxis creates a similar tool, many custom careers will be gone...leaving all Sim progress in custom careers in the dust. The tool of course, is currently only available for creating rabbithole careers, and cannot be used to introduce new game features as part of a career. As a non-modder, the site is simple enough even I could use it, if I had enough ideas for each job level to put into one career, and a new career idea that hadn't already been done before. (I remember someone did this in TS1 as well...and I created an Elder/Retirement career back then with that tool (since Sims 1 had no elders in it), but don't remember all the jobs in that career I made now.)

I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • Options
    Bananas_45Bananas_45 Posts: 6,778 Member
    As a player who doesn't create any mods but uses them, I am sad that this upcoming patch is likely to break EVERY. SINGLE. SCRIPT. MOD.
    This includes ALL custom careers, ALL custom traits, and MCCC. The scope is more extensive in what will be broken than ANY single past patch. I think if they don't leave open a door to the modders, there will be a mass player exodus, which means sales will drop substantially. Yes, custom content that doesn't involve script mods will likely keep working, BUT there is no guarantee: past patches have broken custom content before. And Sims4Studio, a program that I use for batch fixes to update custom content I have already downloaded, will have to be updated or discontinued entirely. Some example of Sims 4 Studio batch fixes: update bookcases for Toddlers (adds the toddler books to custom content bookcases and adds the option to "read story to..." to cc bookcases), general CAS update for Seasons, Lighting fix (yes, custom content lights were broken in one past patch). Other batch fixes I have used: Disable CAS cc for random, Enable or Disable CAS cc for vampires, Enable or disable CAS cc for aliens.
    Disabling CAS cc is useful in say, preventing townies from showing up to restaurants, pools, or other community lots with wings (which are typically worn as rings or hats), horror face paint, or unusual skin colors, along with the usual clashing/fashion crime townie wear.

Right now, one modder has created a "make your own career" website, but the whole thing is dependent on a career commons .ts4script file. (The site can be found here: simneia.fr/home.html) Unless Maxis creates a similar tool, many custom careers will be gone...leaving all Sim progress in custom careers in the dust. The tool of course, is currently only available for creating rabbithole careers, and cannot be used to introduce new game features as part of a career. As a non-modder, the site is simple enough even I could use it, if I had enough ideas for each job level to put into one career, and a new career idea that hadn't already been done before. (I remember someone did this in TS1 as well...and I created an Elder/Retirement career back then with that tool (since Sims 1 had no elders in it), but don't remember all the jobs in that career I made now.)

@SimGuruModSquad made this post regarding CC:

Hi all,

CC will not be affected. Only mods that contain files with the .ts4script extension are affected. CC typically only contain .package files.

I am going to close this thread as it has served its purpose. We have a month to get this sorted out, so recommend that everyone hold tight and let the technical folks work through it. If you are interested in the nitty gritty then check out the the Deaderpool discord, where some promising discussions are happening.

I will post updates to this thread as things develop, along with updates about timing of the patch. So keep an eye out here for further announcements.

Thanks,
    SGMS

Link to the original post:
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16762026/#Comment_16762026

Sims 4 Studio should NOT be affected. Neia has yet to weigh in as to whether she will be updating her career tool but, anyone interested can watch her thread for her response: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/921946/create-a-career-looking-for-beta-testers#latest
  • Options
    FlamingoKicker1FlamingoKicker1 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Without mods I'd have stopped playing the sims years ago. Well, except it's always the same. Each base game fails to deliver and then the modders make the game come alive so I suppose I never would have played beyond Sims 1 to be truthful. Luckily they will update their mods cause they are addicted as everyone else. I do wonder why EA just wouldn't wait until Sims 5 to make such a big change. We all know Sims 5 is right around the corner. What is left to milk out of Sims 4? A University pack or a Time Travel pack or a Magic pack?
  • Options
    tanakakitanakaki Posts: 240 Member
    I know my mods are more important to me than whatever the patch may bring. So I wont be updating my game until I know what mods have been updated as well. My sims just do so many annoying things that I think I'd end up quitting the game if I didnt have mods to weed out certain behaviors. I REALLY appreciate the hard work modders do to this game, so I can wait until things get fixed.
  • Options
    littlemissgogolittlemissgogo Posts: 1,808 Member
    Without mods I'd have stopped playing the sims years ago. Well, except it's always the same. Each base game fails to deliver and then the modders make the game come alive so I suppose I never would have played beyond Sims 1 to be truthful. Luckily they will update their mods cause they are addicted as everyone else. I do wonder why EA just wouldn't wait until Sims 5 to make such a big change. We all know Sims 5 is right around the corner. What is left to milk out of Sims 4? A University pack or a Time Travel pack or a Magic pack?

is at least three years more worth of TS4 technically right around the corner? why should they not update the coding for this game simply because they might be making TS5? there's also basically a ton of things left they could "milk" out of TS4. personally, TS4 to me is what TS2/TS3 is to other players; a game I'm going to play even when they stop releasing stuff for it. I'd rather the game be as updated, optimized, etc. as possible to help maintain its longevity.
    6riwm5.png
  • Options
    Bananas_45 wrote: »

@SimGuruModSquad made this post regarding CC:

Hi all,

CC will not be affected. Only mods that contain files with the .ts4script extension are affected. CC typically only contain .package files.

I am going to close this thread as it has served its purpose. We have a month to get this sorted out, so recommend that everyone hold tight and let the technical folks work through it. If you are interested in the nitty gritty then check out the the Deaderpool discord, where some promising discussions are happening.

I will post updates to this thread as things develop, along with updates about timing of the patch. So keep an eye out here for further announcements.

Thanks,
    SGMS

Link to the original post:
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16762026/#Comment_16762026

Sims 4 Studio should NOT be affected. Neia has yet to weigh in as to whether she will be updating her career tool but, anyone interested can watch her thread for her response: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/921946/create-a-career-looking-for-beta-testers#latest

Anything that changes the way any build-buy mode objects work, or any new categories of CAS content added to the game, will affect custom content. We DONT yet know what all will be in the next patch, other than the python upgrade, and if they meet the deadlines, terrain tool and the sketch tablet and new fashion career. Also, there is also the matter of "hacked objects" which are a hybrid of custom content and script mod. Sims 4 Studio WILL be affected, because it relies on a certain amount of knowledge of the way the internal code of the game works to do its batch fixes. Every patch to date has required an update to Sims 4 studio, so I believe it is a safe bet that this patch will be no exception. For one thing, Sims 4 studio also integrated the functionality of a certain script mod that permits the creation and use of custom umbrellas recently. Besides, THIS thread is for NON modders to discuss the upcoming patch. Most likely, CAS (create a sim) custom content will not be affected, but considering custom umbrellas are a form of CAS content....I"m not going to say NO CAS custom content will be affected.

Custom foods themselves do not have .ts4script files, but edible custom foods (as opposed to purely decorative foods) RELY on .ts4script files to show up in game on the refrigerator and restaurant menus. So that is another form of custom content that will be affected. And the last patch broke most of Leniad's custom food and harvestable mods: the next one is likely to break icemunmun's custom food and harvestable mods.

Truly, it is a shame Maxis doesn't/can't hire more people in the mod community as contractors to integrate their mods into an official part of the game.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • Options
    @SimsILikeSims I'm just sharing what the SimsGuruSquad said about CC as they know far more than I do because I am not a modder. As it says in their post, all .ts4script mods will be affected. That includes careers and the Umbrellas by LittleMsSam and Andrew's Accessories Mod.
    If I understood you correctly, you implied that Sims 4 Studio may be discontinued entirely because of the November update and that is an unfair assessment. The SimsGurus have given modders and mods users a heads up so that we can have a game plan and I have faith that those modders who wish to continue forward will. We just have to have a little patience and watch for @luthienrising's thread.
  • Options
    KaerralindKaerralind Posts: 8 New Member
    Note to self: keep an eye on specific .ts4script mods I have in my mods folder. I'm really happy I looked at this thread because I'm really excited for the new update and I would've freaked out if my mods just stopped working without reasoning. I'll definitely keep this in mind and watch for mod updates. :smiley:
  • Options
    Pipersfun2Pipersfun2 Posts: 710 Member
    @luthienrising It's really wonderful what you've done in the past...and are ready to do in the future. I just get so...TIRED of deleting old mods and replacing and hunting for updates. It just seems like it never ends! I'm very close to dumping all the "mods" (those that affect our simmie's behavior) and keeping the CAS and build stuff. I generally build more than I play anyway...one of these days.......

I hear you , buy one I can't give up is UI Cheats Extension, I won't play without it .
    while we are playing them,WHO IS PLAYING US?
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Agree with the be patient and wait for more info approach. We are still early in the announced cycle, so anything can happen. Maybe this Python thing will actually turn our current mess (which at the same time has enormous potential) into a decent game.
  • Options
    Chimp2678Chimp2678 Posts: 4,072 Member
    edited October 2018
    MaggieMarley, I agree! And, I especially love MCC and UI Cheats Extension, those are the ones I need in the game! :)
    The modders for those ones, usually update within a day or so.
  • Options
    loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,466 Member
    Pipersfun2 wrote: »

I hear you , buy one I can't give up is UI Cheats Extension, I won't play without it .

I'm pretty sure that one will be updated quickly - it normally is.
  • Options
    Bananas_45 wrote: »
    @SimsILikeSims I'm just sharing what the SimsGuruSquad said about CC as they know far more than I do because I am not a modder. As it says in their post, all .ts4script mods will be affected. That includes careers and the Umbrellas by LittleMsSam and Andrew's Accessories Mod.
    If I understood you correctly, you implied that Sims 4 Studio may be discontinued entirely because of the November update and that is an unfair assessment. The SimsGurus have given modders and mods users a heads up so that we can have a game plan and I have faith that those modders who wish to continue forward will. We just have to have a little patience and watch for @luthienrising's thread.

I didn't intend that meaning: I just meant there will need to be another version of Sims4Studio with MAJOR changes, including changes to its tutorials.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Pipersfun2 wrote: »

I'm pretty sure that one will be updated quickly - it normally is.

Usually within hours :)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    @Neia has made a post about her career tool! https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16768160/#Comment_16768160

"For the Python update, it won't have that much impact on the tool, Python is only used for the PTO interaction on the phone and most of the career content don't use Python at all. I'll update the help page on the site with the info on how to make .ts4script with the new Python. The tutorial on MTS is not by me, it's by Simmiller :)"
  • Options
    Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Agree with the be patient and wait for more info approach. We are still early in the announced cycle, so anything can happen. Maybe this Python thing will actually turn our current mess (which at the same time has enormous potential) into a decent game.

Most of the modding community believe this is a good thing, even though updating their mods isn't easy. I just turned my updates off so that I can play my game until a few core mods are updated that will completely ruin my game if I play without them.
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!
  • Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    I have teleport any sim. I hope it gets updated. I'm sure we will get a new MC Commander, which does most of what I want to do.
  • Options
    FogityFogity Posts: 122 Member
    Most script mods that are not abandoned can just be updated without any work needed by the modder. But with mods that are affected by the changes in the patch it is more complicated (this includes mccc and possibly other large mods). The issue right now is that we won't be able to properly look at the new code in order to fix any broken mods (or make mods for the new features) until we get a decompiler up and running. I am personally working hard on making a new decompiler (and making good progress), and I know of at least one other modder working on updating another decompiler. We will probably be done before the patch hits, or at least have something that can be used by DP and others to update their mods.
    Played since The Sims 1 and now makes mods for The Sims 4:
    Gender Less - Gender neutral pronouns and titles
    Hidden Highlight - Removes the white outline
    Unlocked CAS Parts - Unlocks hidden CAS items