Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do We Really Need Another Three Years? TS4 at Four Years Old

Comments

• StormsviewStormsview Posts: 2,603 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Personally, I want them to keep making TS4 for years. I like this game, there's still a lot they can add and I want to see what they do, and I don't want to start all over spending however much money it costs to get a new game and it's expansions when they can just keep building on this one. Especially since a lot of the things people are asking for in TS5 (open worlds, for example) don't interest me at all. I don't really get the people who complain about the price of this game and how much they've dropped on it and yet it's still "empty", but also want a new game they'll have to spend just as much on over time that will be just as empty (at least at the start), when they can continue filling this one up with things people want. Not that I'm passing judgement on those who do want to just move on to the next game already, obviously different people have different preferences and wants from the game, but I just... don't get it.

tl;dr - I like this game, it's fine with me if they keep it going for years to come.

It's still 'empty' after over $400 -$500? some have spent when Sims can't even face each other to dance, four years later, Simmers can't even remove a pink tree out on the sidewalk after four years later, Sims can't even have a car four years later, Sims can't even slow dance, four years later, Sims can't even understand why they are attracted to one Sim instead of another, four years later, all the EPs have had less game play than their counter parts of previous EPs, Sims don't even have higher education four years later, there are like two trillion missing emotions, whims/wants, traits, aspirations, and careers four years later, compared to the point of where the previous games were in this point in time. How much does anyone want to spend $1000 and still can't face each other to dance, or still a handful of traits and careers they keep reusing over and over? Really?
    I've played over 4000 hours and have all the packs. If I take $500 (not even sure if this was the actual cost, I'm just taking your highest estimate because I'm too lazy to look it up lol) divided by 4000 hours, I've spent 12.5 cents per hour of entertainment, which is reasonable to me. I think TS4 is fine and that it will only get better; they're still giving us more great content (imo), including free updates. I don't personally think TS4 is empty and am okay with what I've paid for it. I said that I didn't understand why other people would want a new game if they find it empty when the next game is likely to be just as "empty" if they're rushing to push out the next game, especially at the beginning, and will likely cost just as much. Part of the problem with this game not having so many features at it's release that had to be patched in later is that it was rushed to release. I'm not really sure what else to say, clearly we just expect different things of the game, and that's ok.

What is this mindset that it matters how many hours anyone has played. Is that the goal to play more hours than anyone else? I know you are trying to say how cheap it's been costwise for the hours you have played. But I find it odd TS4 players are always keeping up with the actual total of how many hours they have played. Is that the actual goal to some? Because I read it everywhere. (It's almost like those folks who love RPGs more than sandbox and need to keep up with their totals).
    I can't speak for others, but I don't really keep track of it nor is it the goal for me, it just is what it is. It literally took only 5 seconds for me to check in Origin for this post.

But why did you? I have never looked at it, that is the difference, I think Origin may have registered one hundred for me, a few times when I had to start over, until I figured out how to play offline, it's none of their business. But if we want to stack up costs of the other games and their content of the base, and their EPs, TS4 is overcharging and with less to offer per pack. Yes, some things may be more fleshed out such as Vampires, but that's an exception compared to all other stuff that has been added to this game per cost per pack. TS3 by four years was so big the average player couldn't actually install it all as I said before without building a pc and stop using one off the shelf. The lack of simulation, activities, lack of careers, emotions, traits, aspirations, and interactions is still pretty astonishing after some have spent probably well over $500 if they bought it all.
    What do you mean? I looked it up to estimate the cost, like I said. I thought it was relevant to my post.

I've actually been buying things I don't have yet in TS3 recently and it's hurt my bank account more than this game and I get less satisfaction out of it and play it less. Sure there was more stuff in some of the packs, but many features felt half done or rushed to me, and I get bored of playing them quickly so I'd move on to the next pack pretty fast. Not that it isn't worth it, I'll keep buying them because I want them and I'd like a complete collection lol. Most recently I got Into The Future and it's been able to keep my attention longer than most packs, but from what I've heard on the forums it's been a lot of people's least favorite, so I might just have different taste than a lot of the fanbase. For me personally TS4 isn't perfect (what is?) but it checks more boxes for things I want in the game. I really just think we have different gameplay preferences and that's where we're disagreeing here.

Genuinely curious here: How can you compare the two when you're buying the sims 3 only to have a complete collection not necessarily to enjoy it?

Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Personally, I want them to keep making TS4 for years. I like this game, there's still a lot they can add and I want to see what they do, and I don't want to start all over spending however much money it costs to get a new game and it's expansions when they can just keep building on this one. Especially since a lot of the things people are asking for in TS5 (open worlds, for example) don't interest me at all. I don't really get the people who complain about the price of this game and how much they've dropped on it and yet it's still "empty", but also want a new game they'll have to spend just as much on over time that will be just as empty (at least at the start), when they can continue filling this one up with things people want. Not that I'm passing judgement on those who do want to just move on to the next game already, obviously different people have different preferences and wants from the game, but I just... don't get it.

tl;dr - I like this game, it's fine with me if they keep it going for years to come.

It's still 'empty' after over $400 -$500? some have spent when Sims can't even face each other to dance, four years later, Simmers can't even remove a pink tree out on the sidewalk after four years later, Sims can't even have a car four years later, Sims can't even slow dance, four years later, Sims can't even understand why they are attracted to one Sim instead of another, four years later, all the EPs have had less game play than their counter parts of previous EPs, Sims don't even have higher education four years later, there are like two trillion missing emotions, whims/wants, traits, aspirations, and careers four years later, compared to the point of where the previous games were in this point in time. How much does anyone want to spend $1000 and still can't face each other to dance, or still a handful of traits and careers they keep reusing over and over? Really?

In other words, you're done. :p

I'm glad I don't feel like that - I am rather enjoying the ride. LOL. Nothing negative here anyway - keeps me sane and smiling. Look forward to see what else they have planned over the coming three years and hope I am here to enjoy it.

But you did feel that way in past posts before we finally got toddlers. You wouldn't buy anything else until they delieverd toddlers or at least that is what I read, I think. I think you said (correct me if I'm wrong) you went on a spending spree as soon as toddlers were patched in and purchased all the packs you had refused to buy. I'm not doing anything any differently than you did before toddlers. I'm pointing out we should have never had to wait for toddlers but that's old water under the bridge, and we shouldn't be waiting four more years for a fuller, more fleshed out game, either.

I find it amusing how those who used to dislike the game come down on people who currently have issues with the game. It's like just because you got what you wanted and now you're in love with the game doesn't mean you have a right to discredit someone who is still searching for the thing they want in the game. Everyone has their likes and dislikes of each iteration. And we all have a right to say that because we are all paying customers of said products. I've personally spent just as much money as the next person on this game and I shouldn't be discredited for my issues with the bugs or my distaste for certain things in the game no should anyone else. Everyone's opinion should be respected. Good and bad.

I agree with your comments.
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
    Who said EA doesn't have a sense of humor
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    filipomel wrote: »
    At this point I feel the game is very complete, anything after now are just bonuses, I mean we now have pets, seasons, and a bunch of creative game play tools to further customize our own game and ways of playing. You mention in your post that by the end of The Sims 2's life it had all this content that Sims 4 still doesn't have, but what about all the content that Sims 4 has that the other games don't? Sims 4 is onto it's 6th expansion now (surprisingly might I add, as we've gotten 3 expansions within the past 1.5 years compared to the 1 a year we've been getting.) and that's not counting the game packs that also further flesh out parts of the game. When I look at The Sims 4 now with all of its packs, I see a pretty big game with tons to do and explore, and we've still got another (at least!) three more years. I hope they continue The Sims 4 until it has mostly everything that players want.

Let's talk about new aspirations and careers. Compared to the other games I'm going to bet most are still reusing the painter or writer career, and if you play rotationaly then you know there isn't really any new career or aspiratons comprared to TS2 or no way even a third of what TS3 had offered by year four. Then let's look at new emotions? I can't think of any new emotions they have added in the last four years. If they did add any then it only had to be one or two or I would remember that we got a bucket full of new emotions. TS3 offered tons of new aspirations and careers with each new EP, I think we can count on one hand or less how many have been added per EP. What does it offer the other games don't? I don't know, other than a broken group system, which my groups in TS2 work better than this game's buggy group system, and sure it has some active careers but they are linear, and what object does this game use most? The good ol' Sim computer. One of the most boring and over used objects of all time for careers, activities, or tasks. It seems it's use helps cut cost for simulation or animations and just use the same animations for every job or every aspiration requirement and make a cheap object have more uses and no need to add anything new out of the box as long as they can use the handy dandy, Sim computer to shoe horn in more tasks and more chores to do on the pc, for almost every career in this game, or every aspiration almost.

And four years later and kids are still mini mes, they still can't play tag, hopscotch, toss a ball, or anything else.

You seem to forget that aspirations and careers in the Sims 4 are a lot different than they were in Sims 3. Aspirations in Sims 4 are a process to complete, while Sims 3's aspirations (Lifetime Wishes I believe they were called) was just one goal that you tried to reach. I understand that some may prefer Sims 3's Lifetime Wishes over Sims 4's aspirations, as the wishes gave the player a long term goal to work towards to, and it was up to the player on how to achieve it, while Sims 4 guides the player through various stages of the aspiration in a typically linear way. Bottom line is, Sims 4's aspirations are a different mechanic than Sims 3's Lifetime Wishes. I will agree though, I really wish we had more Aspirations in Sims 4.

As for careers, all the careers in Sims 4 have two branches (except the active careers from Get to Work), while only some of the careers in Sims 3 had multiple branches, so in a way, each career in 4 is really two careers. I too also wish to have more careers, but it seems this time around with careers, they try and make them in a way where they are distinct from one another, specifically with the 'Work from Home' approach they are taking with the new careers they make, instead of just making each new career a rabbit hole career, the way most were in Sims 3.

New emotions haven't been introduced to the game as of now, but I don't see why not adding new emotions is a bad thing, don't get me wrong I would love new emotions, but I fail to see how the lack of new emotions since launch is a negative thing.

Sims 4 has a ton of things that the other games don't have, but to refrain from leading this thread off topic (as I've done so already, hopefully in a respectful manner) I'd rather not start on that topic.

I agree the computer gets a lot of use in Sims 4, but I don't see how that's typically a bad thing since the computer this time around is just another really in depth object, but also I find that there is variety for completing tasks and doing activities beyond just using the computer.

I actually find the kids in Sims 4 to be the best kids in the series, they have their own set of skills and aspirations and I like that, it's a unique feature for them that makes them a unique life stage, I wish they would do the same with teens though.

Four years later I find that the developers expanded the game in a very meaningful way to me. I really like the Sims 4's approach with new content. It's very clear that with every piece of content they release, the developers learn a lot on what and how to further improve future content. I think many will agree when I say this, with each new packs release, it proves to be better and better with its quality and content when comparing it to older content. The developers do listen, it's very obvious that they do, and that excites me for what the future holds. So I am very excited for the next three years (possibly more) of content.

No, aspirations are NOT the equivalent to Sims 3's lifetime wish. They're far more like the additional tasks attached to Sims 3 skills -- paint so many pictures and you can then paint more quickly, make so many friends and you skip directly to the "good friend" stage, etc. etc. etc. There's a ton of stuff to do in Sims 3 for goal oriented players -- but what's nice about Sims 3 is there's so much more than those goals.

I like both Sims 3 and Sims 4, don't get me wrong. I find Sims 3 far more engaging but it is dated at this point. But a thought about emotions -- Sims 2 and Sims 3 both seemed to have more emotions than Sims 4, which is odd given that that's the basic hook of Sims 4. Sims 4 should at the very least add fear, and it would be nice if the romantic and the mean interactions weren't so sterilized given that those are very basic emotions for humans.

I am excited about the upcoming patch with terrain tools. I do see them working to improve the game.

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited October 2018
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    At this point I feel the game is very complete, anything after now are just bonuses, I mean we now have pets, seasons, and a bunch of creative game play tools to further customize our own game and ways of playing. You mention in your post that by the end of The Sims 2's life it had all this content that Sims 4 still doesn't have, but what about all the content that Sims 4 has that the other games don't? Sims 4 is onto it's 6th expansion now (surprisingly might I add, as we've gotten 3 expansions within the past 1.5 years compared to the 1 a year we've been getting.) and that's not counting the game packs that also further flesh out parts of the game. When I look at The Sims 4 now with all of its packs, I see a pretty big game with tons to do and explore, and we've still got another (at least!) three more years. I hope they continue The Sims 4 until it has mostly everything that players want.

Let's talk about new aspirations and careers. Compared to the other games I'm going to bet most are still reusing the painter or writer career, and if you play rotationaly then you know there isn't really any new career or aspiratons comprared to TS2 or no way even a third of what TS3 had offered by year four. Then let's look at new emotions? I can't think of any new emotions they have added in the last four years. If they did add any then it only had to be one or two or I would remember that we got a bucket full of new emotions. TS3 offered tons of new aspirations and careers with each new EP, I think we can count on one hand or less how many have been added per EP. What does it offer the other games don't? I don't know, other than a broken group system, which my groups in TS2 work better than this game's buggy group system, and sure it has some active careers but they are linear, and what object does this game use most? The good ol' Sim computer. One of the most boring and over used objects of all time for careers, activities, or tasks. It seems it's use helps cut cost for simulation or animations and just use the same animations for every job or every aspiration requirement and make a cheap object have more uses and no need to add anything new out of the box as long as they can use the handy dandy, Sim computer to shoe horn in more tasks and more chores to do on the pc, for almost every career in this game, or every aspiration almost.

And four years later and kids are still mini mes, they still can't play tag, hopscotch, toss a ball, or anything else.

You seem to forget that aspirations and careers in the Sims 4 are a lot different than they were in Sims 3. Aspirations in Sims 4 are a process to complete, while Sims 3's aspirations (Lifetime Wishes I believe they were called) was just one goal that you tried to reach. I understand that some may prefer Sims 3's Lifetime Wishes over Sims 4's aspirations, as the wishes gave the player a long term goal to work towards to, and it was up to the player on how to achieve it, while Sims 4 guides the player through various stages of the aspiration in a typically linear way. Bottom line is, Sims 4's aspirations are a different mechanic than Sims 3's Lifetime Wishes. I will agree though, I really wish we had more Aspirations in Sims 4.

As for careers, all the careers in Sims 4 have two branches (except the active careers from Get to Work), while only some of the careers in Sims 3 had multiple branches, so in a way, each career in 4 is really two careers. I too also wish to have more careers, but it seems this time around with careers, they try and make them in a way where they are distinct from one another, specifically with the 'Work from Home' approach they are taking with the new careers they make, instead of just making each new career a rabbit hole career, the way most were in Sims 3.

New emotions haven't been introduced to the game as of now, but I don't see why not adding new emotions is a bad thing, don't get me wrong I would love new emotions, but I fail to see how the lack of new emotions since launch is a negative thing.

Sims 4 has a ton of things that the other games don't have, but to refrain from leading this thread off topic (as I've done so already, hopefully in a respectful manner) I'd rather not start on that topic.

I agree the computer gets a lot of use in Sims 4, but I don't see how that's typically a bad thing since the computer this time around is just another really in depth object, but also I find that there is variety for completing tasks and doing activities beyond just using the computer.

I actually find the kids in Sims 4 to be the best kids in the series, they have their own set of skills and aspirations and I like that, it's a unique feature for them that makes them a unique life stage, I wish they would do the same with teens though.

Four years later I find that the developers expanded the game in a very meaningful way to me. I really like the Sims 4's approach with new content. It's very clear that with every piece of content they release, the developers learn a lot on what and how to further improve future content. I think many will agree when I say this, with each new packs release, it proves to be better and better with its quality and content when comparing it to older content. The developers do listen, it's very obvious that they do, and that excites me for what the future holds. So I am very excited for the next three years (possibly more) of content.
    Being pretty unfamiliar with many of Sims 4's careers I depend on Wiki there, so if I confuse things please correct me.
    As for careers, all the careers in Sims 4 have two branches (except the active careers from Get to Work), while only some of the careers in Sims 3 had multiple branches, so in a way, each career in 4 is really two careers.

Sims 3
    28 RH careers (9 with 2 branches, 10 with a single branch)
    10 open careers
    13 self-employed careers (which is completely open as well)

Sims 4
    28 RH careers (14 with 2 branches)
    4 open careers (bit confused here, counting the GTW careers but I don't see the vet career mentioned in the Wiki so I might miss more open careers?)
    No self-employment

So the claim "instead of just making each new career a rabbit hole career, the way most were in Sims 3" is a rather coloured observation I'd say. There indeed are a lot of RH careers (that often come with none RH gameplay by the way, like the politician who has to organize fundraising parties for instance), but so does TS4. And Sims 3 has a fairly substantial amount of open careers, plus the opportunity to be self-employed.

I'll leave it at that because I think it's best for now to stick to facts. "The best kids in the series" and "better and better with its quality" pulls it back to opinions. That's not what this topic is about. Some will prefer kids in 4, some in 3, some in 2. Not the subject. Some favour GTW, some GT, so if you feel with each new pack's release it proves to be better and better with its quality that's how you feel about that. Others apparently don't.

For open careers, I'd consider the businesses to fall under that category, so Detective, Doctor, Scientist, Retailer, Restaurant Manager, Vet, and now Actor, so that would make 7 open careers (that's saying if you count the businesses to be a career). There is no self employment in Sims 4, but the function of being self employed still exists, your sim can still make money doing a variety of activities in the game, that's all self employment was in 3, the only purpose self employment served in 3 was giving your self employed sim a job title. As for me mentioning the kids and the whole "getting better and better statement," did I not talk about those topics in a subjective/opinionated manner? "I actually find the kids in Sims 4 to be the best kids in the series", "I think many will agree when I say this, with each new packs release, it proves to be better and better with its quality and content when comparing it to older content", I wasn't trying to be factual with those statements, I was just giving my own personal input on the topic.
    No, it also involves leveling up, just like in the other careers. Up to ten levels. And I get the last part of your post, but it's not the subject of this topic.

All leveling up does as a self employed sim is give your sim a job title that matches their current level of success, and sometimes some bonus cash. So a job title, I’m not wrong.
    And higher payment.
    The only way a self-employed Sim can make money is when they sell their creations - as they do not do any work for the community and they do not get a weekly stipend. The exception is the writer, who will receive weekly royalties on Sundays at 12pm. Upon receiving a promotion, the Sim will get a bonus; the amount of the bonus will depend on the career and the Sim's new position in it.
    You can make a living out of them (I always sell through the consignment store because that’s more rewarding and more fun). It doesn’t unlock new skills if that’s what you mean, but that automatically happens when your sim gets better and better in that particular skill (which is the (open) fun part). One of my favourite careers played in the game was my painter, who could truely live a painter’s life (working at strange hours) and a luxurious one at that in the end. And there are 16 even, according to this source. It most definitely is more than a job title because there was a huge difference between my sim at the start of that painting career and at the end. And I don’t even really know what title he got in the end, I never pay much attention to things like that. I do know how his paintings were selling though.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited October 2018

Being pretty unfamiliar with many of Sims 4's careers I depend on Wiki there, so if I confuse things please correct me.
    As for careers, all the careers in Sims 4 have two branches (except the active careers from Get to Work), while only some of the careers in Sims 3 had multiple branches, so in a way, each career in 4 is really two careers.

Sims 3
    28 RH careers (9 with 2 branches, 10 with a single branch)
    10 open careers
    13 self-employed careers (which is completely open as well)

Sims 4
    28 RH careers (14 with 2 branches)
    4 open careers (bit confused here, counting the GTW careers but I don't see the vet career mentioned in the Wiki so I might miss more open careers?)
    No self-employment

So the claim "instead of just making each new career a rabbit hole career, the way most were in Sims 3" is a rather coloured observation I'd say. There indeed are a lot of RH careers (that often come with none RH gameplay by the way, like the politician who has to organize fundraising parties for instance), but so does TS4. And Sims 3 has a fairly substantial amount of open careers, plus the opportunity to be self-employed.

I'll leave it at that because I think it's best for now to stick to facts. "The best kids in the series" and "better and better with its quality" pulls it back to opinions. That's not what this topic is about. Some will prefer kids in 4, some in 3, some in 2. Not the subject. Some favour GTW, some GT, so if you feel with each new pack's release it proves to be better and better with its quality that's how you feel about that. Others apparently don't.

If that was the case of most not feeling that way then explain how Sims 4 is the 2nd best selling game year over year of all the games EA has So apparently MOST disagree with you - and the fact they extended the game because it continues to make huge amounts of money. Even the wall st investors remark about how well this Sims 4 game is and does every single meeting. You see if the investors see something doesn't make money and sell well - well that's when we hear a studio get closed a game gets ended - as all they care about is the bottom line. You can read first hand for yourself the transcripts in the Q & A's of meeting where the investors talk to the heads of EA. You can hear it yourself if you go to the meeting and call in. It's not just people guessing or assuming - it's talked about and from what I hear and see - this game is not going away any too fast. The investors like it - obviously - as only Fifa does better than Sims 4.

You can say what you want but the truth is out there and the truth does not agree with what you say about the majority of players.

The next Earning call is October 30th I believe. Tune in yourself.
    How and where exactly did my "Some favour GTW, some GT, so if you feel with each new pack's release it proves to be better and better with its quality that's how you feel about that. Others apparently don't" suddenly turn into "If that was the case of most not feeling that way"? I never said anything about 'most' so please don't put that claim in my mouth. And again, this is not the topic. Apart from the fact I'm really not interested in sales figures when it comes to enjoying something. Though I must confess you made me curious where to find this data. I did some googling and all I could find was them referring to 'The Sims Community'. Including Sims 2 and 3 (still being played by many through Origin) plus Mobile.

No - see you don't get it Fifa is EA's biggest selling game of all their games and Sims 4 comes in second out of all EA's games period... and has been doing this it said quarter over quarter and year over year. It is why it is important to the big investors and they are very happy with these games and EA's live service as well. A few years ago they rarely mention the Sims games - now they mentioned The Sims 4 ALL the time. They seem very happy the game was extended and sells better than ever. Fifa and the Sims 4 make investors very happy - so we keep getting investors and EA keep the games coming. As Happy as they seem to be I have a feeling Sims 4 could go even longer at this rate. No investor has even once queried EA on the next series at all. They seem totally overjoyed with 4 and it's continuing to do so well.
    Oh I’m convinced the game is doing much better now than it did in the beginning, but that in fact confirms what the OP is saying. It’s taking them years now to get to a certain quality point and if you ask players why, they’ll list all kind of added features that weren’t there in the beginning. People are screaming now apparently when they hear they get terrain tools, I was ‘screaming’ (in an introverted way) when I heard guruninja mentioning backgrounds in Selvadorado made actual sense (never made me scream in Sims 3, I took it for granted; did ‘scream’ when I witnessed it in Sims 2 because I played the game after playing Sims 4 and I was baffled the game did that), you yourself only stepped in when toddlers were added in 2017. That was 2,5 years in! From their point of view they tapped into a goldmine, marketing wise. Making something rare and unexpected and amazing out of something we took for granted before. That’s not my point of view as a fan though (and I’m not a stockholder, just a player), I expect a game that is great at a much faster speed than 4 years and still not complete (people mention tons of features but though of course Sims 4 does have features that are new to the franchise, it’s not a ton). We just welcomed back a player over in the TS3 section who declares he’s back till TS4 gets University. Is that a good sign? People abandoning the game (even if it’s temporarily) because they feel they are missing out on something they do have in the old games that lasted just as long as Sims 4 does now?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • EA_CianEA_Cian Posts: 1,359 EA Staff (retired)
    Sul sul!

We're getting a bit away from the OP's topic here. This topic isn't focused on financial results and reporting, the sales of The Sims 4 year over year compared to other EA titles, the implications of quality vs sales, and so on. This is about whether or not folks want to see another three years of content, if they'd like to see a new Sims game, or something else. Let's also be mindful of how we phrase our comments, there are a few comments in this thread that can be taken in a dismissive way - and that's not cool! Whenever you click/tap that post button, read through your post and ask, "How might this come across?"

If you think it might be a bit mean sounding, save a draft and rework it a bit. :smile:

That in mind, if we continue going off-topic like this, we may have to close the thread or consider other action so I'd ask us all to please remain on topic and be respectful, thanks!
    ~my hair color is frequently changing, so my Sim reflects that~

Have questions about necroposting? Check out our Necroposting thread.

Bugs/Issues should be posted on Answers HQ, learn more over on Update on The Sims 4 Help Center.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited October 2018
    I agree if terrain detailing shows up all of an sudden I would be scratching my head something is not right here. Are the features that many want so bad being used to string along it's customers and by doing so it can expand the years that way. I am now thinking things with this game is not the way one may have thought in the beginning. No matter how much time it would have taken since it's beginning those terrain tools should have been done and not four years later as it was the case with the Toddlers debacle. Some things are not adding up with what is being told.But it is what it is and as said once and it can be said Sims 4 will not be known for it's merits but it will be known for it's controversy.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    @filipomel, I'll have to disagree with you that most of the careers in TS4 offer two tracks, when we all know some of those careers don't allow the player to switch to the different track, IIRC, and the player was forced to quit and start the other track or something like that. So, no, it doesn't actually do what it is supposed to do in some of those two track careers. I was glad to see they offered two tracks to some of them because it was a suggestion of mine when the game was released, so I'm always happy when something I wanted somehow also winds up in the games, and of course I know others also wanted those features, too. But, they don't actually work like they were intended so it's no win there.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member

I've played over 4000 hours and have all the packs. If I take $500 (not even sure if this was the actual cost, I'm just taking your highest estimate because I'm too lazy to look it up lol) divided by 4000 hours, I've spent 12.5 cents per hour of entertainment, which is reasonable to me. I think TS4 is fine and that it will only get better; they're still giving us more great content (imo), including free updates. I don't personally think TS4 is empty and am okay with what I've paid for it. I said that I didn't understand why other people would want a new game if they find it empty when the next game is likely to be just as "empty" if they're rushing to push out the next game, especially at the beginning, and will likely cost just as much. Part of the problem with this game not having so many features at it's release that had to be patched in later is that it was rushed to release. I'm not really sure what else to say, clearly we just expect different things of the game, and that's ok.

What is this mindset that it matters how many hours anyone has played. Is that the goal to play more hours than anyone else? I know you are trying to say how cheap it's been costwise for the hours you have played. But I find it odd TS4 players are always keeping up with the actual total of how many hours they have played. Is that the actual goal to some? Because I read it everywhere. (It's almost like those folks who love RPGs more than sandbox and need to keep up with their totals).
    I can't speak for others, but I don't really keep track of it nor is it the goal for me, it just is what it is. It literally took only 5 seconds for me to check in Origin for this post.

But why did you? I have never looked at it, that is the difference, I think Origin may have registered one hundred for me, a few times when I had to start over, until I figured out how to play offline, it's none of their business. But if we want to stack up costs of the other games and their content of the base, and their EPs, TS4 is overcharging and with less to offer per pack. Yes, some things may be more fleshed out such as Vampires, but that's an exception compared to all other stuff that has been added to this game per cost per pack. TS3 by four years was so big the average player couldn't actually install it all as I said before without building a pc and stop using one off the shelf. The lack of simulation, activities, lack of careers, emotions, traits, aspirations, and interactions is still pretty astonishing after some have spent probably well over $500 if they bought it all.
    What do you mean? I looked it up to estimate the cost, like I said. I thought it was relevant to my post.

I've actually been buying things I don't have yet in TS3 recently and it's hurt my bank account more than this game and I get less satisfaction out of it and play it less. Sure there was more stuff in some of the packs, but many features felt half done or rushed to me, and I get bored of playing them quickly so I'd move on to the next pack pretty fast. Not that it isn't worth it, I'll keep buying them because I want them and I'd like a complete collection lol. Most recently I got Into The Future and it's been able to keep my attention longer than most packs, but from what I've heard on the forums it's been a lot of people's least favorite, so I might just have different taste than a lot of the fanbase. For me personally TS4 isn't perfect (what is?) but it checks more boxes for things I want in the game. I really just think we have different gameplay preferences and that's where we're disagreeing here.

Genuinely curious here: How can you compare the two when you're buying the sims 3 only to have a complete collection not necessarily to enjoy it?
    People buy the Sims 4, don't enjoy it, and hardly play but still compare the two. It's not like I'm not trying to enjoy it while I play, and I do enjoy quite a bit or I wouldn't want to keep building my collection, but I get bored really quickly with most of the content. It actually all started so I could better compare the games, starting with buying Seasons a month before it was released on TS4 so I could see how the new version stood up since so many people here were talking about TS3 Seasons at the time and what they'd like to see return. And for a month leading up to the release that's all that I played, so like, it's not that I'm not playing or trying to have fun with them. I just get bored so quickly with TS3 pretty consistently.

Understandable. I was just geniunelty curious. I know there are things I don't like in 4 but I still play because of things I do enjoy. But I think there are people who want to see them do better with this game and not make the same mistakes they did in the past whether they still play or not. But I completely understand where you're coming from 😊
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
    I'll just make this observation since yes, I did buy a lot of packs for TS4, played them, enjoyed some of them, found some lack luster, and some maybe better than in previous games, such as Vampires or the new toddlers and I said so at the time. I actually loved Dine Out and didn't have many problems with it at all. Until one day the game got rid of all my trained employees and replaced them in my own owned restaurant. :s That happened after one of the packs installed or one of the patches. Seems TS4 has many reasons to get upset. lol

But, even those who think TS4 is one of the better games and love it for what it is, are always looking for the next thing, get bored easy, and are always wanting to know what comes next. To be blunt, after years of being on all these Sim forums and very active in them all, I don't recall (and I'm being bluntly honest) that sort of need for something new as soon as a pack was released ,like a week later, wanting to know or needing a new pack, again. There is something different about TS4 which makes people feel and hunger for more to be added just about as soon as they have tried a new pack a few days later. What is that? I've done it myself, when in the older games I was still playing a new pack and connecting it to the other stuff in game and expanding my gameplay all working together, and was quite content to not see another pack or content for another six months or even nine months in some cases. But TS4 seems to spur on the boredom of needing to know what is the nex thing and how fast can we get it? Is that on purpose? Or is that because the core of the game is still lacking in personality, quirkiness, consequences, and lack of challenge of how easy and boring it is to take care of these Sims, and or just turn loose and just sit and watch them?

As far as sandbox, it has very little to find in the excitement department. Yes, it has plenty of goals, but even those can't sate the player who wants a deeper game. So, it has become a merry-go-round and three more years of that won't help those who feel the core is lack luster. Nor, those who buy a new pack, then throw it down and ask what is next? over and over.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited October 2018
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    I agree if terrain detailing shows up all of an sudden I would be scratching my head something is not right here. Are the features that many want so bad being used to string along it's customers and by doing so it can expand the years that way. I am now thinking things with this game is not the way one may have thought in the beginning. No matter how much time it would have taken since it'sbeginning those terrain tools should have been done and not four years later as it was the case with the Toddlers debacle. Some things are not adding up with what is being told.But it is what it is and as said once and it can be said Sims 4 will not be known for it's merits but it will be known for it's controversy.

Grant posted a while back that they had been overhauling the game engine as technology became available. Don't forget this game engine was new technology called Smart Technology, and there really was not much info out there 4 years ago on an engine like this, other than it has the capacity to change while in use as tech advances- so I do think it made a big difference in what they can do now - from what they could do before. Just the fact the game was 32 bit when it came out and was overhauled for 64 bit drastically changed it's abilities and requirements. Then overhauling it again with other new advances makes a lot more possible than would have been stable earlier on. It vastly improves it capabilities I would gather. Used to be you were pretty much stuck with the engine you started with - but this engine has proved that is no longer the way it apparently works and engines as well as the base game be upgraded and changed as the game progresses and changes.

So yes I do believe it has much more abilities now than it had 4 years ago - and 4 years ago all we did know about this engine is it didn't have time and ep limits of past engines for the Sim series. They said even in the beginning this game would not be like the past games, and the game had no time limit that they could keep this game growing until it was no longer feasible to do so. That was even stated by Rachel the first year after the announcement of this game in an interview as it had many of us scratching our heads asking what all that meant - which they never answered of course. But she sure made it sound like it has no planned ending time ever.

I do think many Simmers just sort of ignored those statements and just assumed it would be the series as always and in 5 years they'd have another new rendition. But if you look at the facts as we see them now - well there was truth in those words - even if we choose not to believe it.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

edited November 2018

Do people buy an SP, GP, EP for Sims 4, play it for a while and throw it down? No way once Origin installs it into your game Its there forever., and it becomes one game with the base. So you always have it and can use it.

No Simmers are not at all unreasonable, Just they have been through a lot, And now their eyes have been covered and now they can not be allowed to know what's coming next or if anything promised is coming, that in itself will cause depression among the Simmers, and We also got the Mobile and console to compete with some feel we are not being treated all that fair, and worst if we do not jump in happy joy for every pack that we never asked for... some will come here to try to make us feel guilty of No appreciation. for our Gift that we will only get if we paid for it. One thing about Simmers they want to buy something fun for The sims 4. But it is their hard earn money and their choice.
    Post edited by Stormsview on
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I'll just make this observation since yes, I did buy a lot of packs for TS4, played them, enjoyed some of them, found some lack luster, and some maybe better than in previous games, such as Vampires or the new toddlers and I said so at the time. I actually loved Dine Out and didn't have many problems with it at all. Until one day the game got rid of all my trained employees and replaced them in my own owned restaurant. :s That happened after one of the packs installed or one of the patches. Seems TS4 has many reasons to get upset. lol

But, even those who think TS4 is one of the better games and love it for what it is, are always looking for the next thing, get bored easy, and are always wanting to know what comes next. To be blunt, after years of being on all these Sim forums and very active in them all, I don't recall (and I'm being bluntly honest) that sort of need for something new as soon as a pack was released ,like a week later, wanting to know or needing a new pack, again. There is something different about TS4 which makes people feel and hunger for more to be added just about as soon as they have tried a new pack a few days later. What is that? I've done it myself, when in the older games I was still playing a new pack and connecting it to the other stuff in game and expanding my gameplay all working together, and was quite content to not see another pack or content for another six months or even nine months in some cases. But TS4 seems to spur on the boredom of needing to know what is the nex thing and how fast can we get it? Is that on purpose? Or is that because the core of the game is still lacking in personality, quirkiness, consequences, and lack of challenge of how easy and boring it is to take care of these Sims, and or just turn loose and just sit and watch them?

As far as sandbox, it has very little to find in the excitement department. Yes, it has plenty of goals, but even those can't sate the player who wants a deeper game. So, it has become a merry-go-round and three more years of that won't help those who feel the core is lack luster. Nor, those who buy a new pack, then throw it down and ask what is next? over and over.

I'm speaking to this. I don't get bored easy .. you are making a lumping statement here that isn't true. I'm not on the forums a few days later wanting more right after a pack is released.
    Do I want more.. yes. I want everything that can make a full life simulation. I want things that we never had in the sims before even. I've got some of those things already and I can't wait for more. That doesn't make my game boring or lackluster to me. You want to turn it around though and make it seem like a bad thing for having anticipation, hope and expectation into feeling "bored" even for the fans of the iteration. You are reaching here. Am I in the forums the next week asking for it? Well it depends if someone presents an idea that I think is great or I still want something that isn't in the game and I'm thinking about it .. like Witches.
    Do other folks feel bored.. well of course some do. People are different. Even the times are different and that adds to it. Some people want and demand things yesterday and since we have a history with the sims we know what is possible.. some people have favorite things they seem to need to make the game fun for them. Witches is a low grade need for me. I can still play the game without them.. and enjoy it. Doesn't stop me from wanting or asking for them and it doesn't make me bored because I don't have them.
    egTcBMc.png
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,701 Member
    edited October 2018
    Get Famous hasn't even come out and I want to know and am excited about what's next. :D
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited October 2018
    Hermitgirl wrote: »

I'm speaking to this. I don't get bored easy .. you are making a lumping statement here that isn't true. I'm not on the forums a few days later wanting more right after a pack is released.
    Do I want more.. yes. I want everything that can make a full life simulation. I want things that we never had in the sims before even. I've got some of those things already and I can't wait for more. That doesn't make my game boring or lackluster to me. You want to turn it around though and make it seem like a bad thing for having anticipation, hope and expectation into feeling "bored" even for the fans of the iteration. You are reaching here. Am I in the forums the next week asking for it? Well it depends if someone presents an idea that I think is great or I still want something that isn't in the game and I'm thinking about it .. like Witches.
    Do other folks feel bored.. well of course some do. People are different. Even the times are different and that adds to it. Some people want and demand things yesterday and since we have a history with the sims we know what is possible.. some people have favorite things they seem to need to make the game fun for them. Witches is a low grade need for me. I can still play the game without them.. and enjoy it. Doesn't stop me from wanting or asking for them and it doesn't make me bored because I don't have them.

EXACTLY my feelings too. I want Witches and University - but it has not affected my present game play at all - and I more or less assume one or the other, hopefully both will eventually be in game - I still enjoy playing with what I have as often as I can play and looking forward to what I know is coming - which I did not expect and now am excited for.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member

This!

I don’t think everyone has this need for the next thing but I do see it. Visit the forums a week or two after and there is an element of “I’m bored now, what’s next?” And I’ve been on all the sims forums and I don’t remember this was a constant thing. Heck with the last two expansions before seasons and Jungle adventure I was one of them. And I have never been like that with a sims expansion. There’s still things I find from previous games I’ve never seen despite playing the heck out of them, in ten years time will I say that about the sims 4? I don’t know. The game and I have a love hate relationship. If I give up the first three games I could maybe enjoy it but because I play the older games I find it difficult to play 4. And that’s not about content. I like seasons for example. My problem with 4 is not just the content or lack of, the game is just missing a spark, for me it’s become like bumping into a family member you only see at weddings and funerals; you don’t see them very often, you have grown apart but you can take them in small doses.

I think it’s deliberate, always keep fans hungry and many fans will bite. A quick glance in the forums in quiet spells when people are complaining they will get no paid content for that month or quarter. I’ve never seen so many fans desperate to buy anything for their game. I don’t see that in other communities for other games. There’s excitement and anticipation of any future content but there’s never desperate hunger shortly after a game release.
    edited October 2018
    First of all, let us not judge it by this time because seems a lot are not blowing trumpets over this one in comparison to the atmosphere of Seasons and Cats & Dogs, They seem to be more laid back and waiting to see if they like it or not.

It's not wrong to not like everything. Why do we feel guilty? Is it because when we log in to play sims 4 we can see our missing packs staring back at us?

So if lots decide not to buy this one and hope something will come alone that they do like, should we point our finger at them and say So you are the one that complaints soon as we get something new.

Well, they did not get anything new because they did not buy it. No one really tells you know.

I feel we should leave the door open so that all can feel free on this forum to speak on either side of I wish for something more at any time. If you wanted University and did not get it you just might say two weeks after I wish we get University. ? It is no right or wrong here. Its no they are good people and point the finger at someone else choice to ask for something else. Do that make them bad NO.

Lots are board because they have not bought the new pack and someone else has.
    Let us do not start judging each other so early, and
    Whose Money is it anyway? Your money Your choice, And Yes they can ask for what they want too.

I will not be a Stepford Wife on this Forum.
    I will not be afraid to say what I think, just because another person bought the pack, then good for that person, remember we all have different taste.

EA/Maxis Can ask for 4 more years and We plan to judge after the two weeks, No not fair. I retain my right to ask for what I think may be fun for me in the game of Sims 4.
    Post edited by Stormsview on
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member

Preach, fellow Simmer, preach!

I understand that Sims 4 has some nice, innovative improvements. Yet, it's hard to enjoy those things when basic, fundamental interactions and options are still missing.

Right now, EA is so busy trying to break the mold, it's seems like the "life simulator" part has been forgotten. Get the basics right and the rest is gravy.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,701 Member
    I think the majority of the players who are always clamoring for more content are those who were never initially on board with a particular pack. They think the next pack is going to solve all their problems with sims 4 and when it doesn't they're back on the forum, in mere days or weeks, speculating about and wanting the next release.

I've already seen people commenting how Get Famous is not what they wanted, or they promised not to buy another pack until a specific one they wanted was released or they just flat out said they're not buying. Yet here they are. "I'm going to buy it anyway." "Maybe it will have this or maybe it will have that." "I'm not interested in the gameplay but I want the new CAS, or Build/Buy." Or "I didn't really want it but my mother, cousin, best friend, boyfriend, husband bought it for me and I didn't want to hurt their feelings by returning it." Those are the players who will be back on the forum before the end of the year claiming boredom with Get Famous.
  • PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    I think the majority of the players who are always clamoring for more content are those who were never initially on board with a particular pack. They think the next pack is going to solve all their problems with sims 4 and when it doesn't they're back on the forum, in mere days or weeks, speculating about and wanting the next release.

I've already seen people commenting how Get Famous is not what they wanted, or they promised not to buy another pack until a specific one they wanted was released or they just flat out said they're not buying. Yet here they are. "I'm going to buy it anyway." "Maybe it will have this or maybe it will have that." "I'm not interested in the gameplay but I want the new CAS, or Build/Buy." Or "I didn't really want it but my mother, cousin, best friend, boyfriend, husband bought it for me and I didn't want to hurt their feelings by returning it." Those are the players who will be back on the forum before the end of the year claiming boredom with Get Famous.

Exactly. I suspect the ones who aren't bored, aren't posting... or are posting in Sims 4 Creative Corner instead.

No judging Lets just not ok.
    And yes lots buy a pack because of build buy objects.
    I will not judge anyone right to make their own choice on this forum.
    We do not believe in that anymore.

If Simmers did not have a backbone, We would not have pools, we would not have our cute toddlers, And if our builders were not persistent we would not have builder tools.
    edited October 2018

I don't know about that, I have seen you post many, many wish lists and solutions to player control and all sorts of things you felt TS4 needed. The point is, after four years we still don't have half of what I might have wanted, or you or anyone else who is still waiting around for the magic to start. And I don't mean actual magic pack.

ETA: TS4 seems to me it works like this, Oh yay! new EP or GP! But.....
    Every pack has come with a regret, such as but....it would have been better if....or it would have been more if....etc. Take GTW, I really liked that pack because I ignored the to do lists, but....there is a lot about it that needed to be redesigned and filled out more..like the employees at the hospital who are there as fluff and no substance. No need for them to be there at all. Take GT, it would have been better...if....they hadn't added the feature to throw out Sims who are cooking as a visitor while in their 'club'....or if all the dancing was synced together...but it's not. We all know that. Those are just two mild examples, TS4 always has a but and what if... ETA: Here's another oh yay CL...but it would have been better if..we could have built our own apartments and festivals hadn't used the base game objects (cheap) and didn't spawn over each other.
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member

This!

I don’t think everyone has this need for the next thing but I do see it. Visit the forums a week or two after and there is an element of “I’m bored now, what’s next?” And I’ve been on all the sims forums and I don’t remember this was a constant thing. Heck with the last two expansions before seasons and Jungle adventure I was one of them. And I have never been like that with a sims expansion. There’s still things I find from previous games I’ve never seen despite playing the heck out of them, in ten years time will I say that about the sims 4? I don’t know. The game and I have a love hate relationship. If I give up the first three games I could maybe enjoy it but because I play the older games I find it difficult to play 4. And that’s not about content. I like seasons for example. My problem with 4 is not just the content or lack of, the game is just missing a spark, for me it’s become like bumping into a family member you only see at weddings and funerals; you don’t see them very often, you have grown apart but you can take them in small doses.

I think it’s deliberate, always keep fans hungry and many fans will bite. A quick glance in the forums in quiet spells when people are complaining they will get no paid content for that month or quarter. I’ve never seen so many fans desperate to buy anything for their game. I don’t see that in other communities for other games. There’s excitement and anticipation of any future content but there’s never desperate hunger shortly after a game release.

But that's such a small representation of the community, heck, active simmers on these forums are such a small representation of the community. You can't take the statements of a few individuals and generalize an entire player base, or in the very least make it seem like the number of people who are complaining of boredom is a bigger number than it actually is.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    All I need is personalities. And I have the feeling with the new reputation system our sims will be more different and it's amazing.
    Lu4ERme.gif
    All I need is personalities. And I have the feeling with the new reputation system our sims will be more different and it's amazing.

What you said is cute and so true to how people truly feel we all have some little thing we want.

I want better fashion and better-looking avatars with eyelashes and fingernails, and new base game animations. I mean the way we move in CAS and move our eyes could be improved on and auto poses.

But the Simplest thing is just a supermarket so that sims can go shopping for groceries, and little carts for our toddlers to ride while we shop.
    I plan to ask for that soon after I add new earrings and new Toddler toys, like paint easels, and water toys they can float boats in. lol.
    I like the game as it is, I just want it to come alive for us.

Reminds me of my childhood, my mom seems to think as long she bought the most expensive Dollie it was the right one, or the most expensive dollhouse when No I just wanted a doll that was like a real baby.
    We like Sims 4 Just want it to get more detail to come alive. That could be so many ways to so many people.
    edited October 2018

This!

But that's such a small representation of the community, heck, active simmers on these forums are such a small representation of the community. You can't take the statements of a few individuals and generalize an entire player base, or in the very least make it seem like the number of people who are complaining of boredom is a bigger number than it actually is.

I disagree, I have spent a lot of time in feedback these past four years, in Ideas and in Speculation, and it's not the same old posters who are complaining if you take a look at their numbers those other 'invisible' people who never posts sure give them a lot of likes for posting what they also feel about this game. Take a look at my numbers, I didn't get those by being kind to TS4 but being very critical of it, and pointing out what was lacking as far as part of the series. I don't know who gave me all those numbers (individuals) but that's more than a handful of Simmers, and they can only hit it once.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top