Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Seasons: I'm still torn

Comments

• mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    edited October 2018
    I was really excited about the holiday system in the beginning, but now I just mostly enjoy the weather. I tried to give my sims some of their own holidays, but it was difficult to create something out of the box with the existing traditions. I think if you followed traditional holidays, you would have a good amount to choose from.

I play with two week seasons because I feel like that rhythm is the best for my rotation, but with that the holidays feel a little bit too frequent (I have seven, evenly spaced out). I don't know if I should change the holidays or try four week seasons.

While smelly leaf piles are annoying, the bugs don't bother me much overall. Would still pay the full price for the pack, but since you already waited this long it's definitely smart to get a good discount for it :)
  • 06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    I got it yesterday. Going to play today. I will get back to you and tell you how it looks. :) I haven't gotten it before now because I wasn't too impressed.
  • PastelMermaidPastelMermaid Posts: 1,298 Member
    06Bon06 wrote: »
    I got it yesterday. Going to play today. I will get back to you and tell you how it looks. :) I haven't gotten it before now because I wasn't too impressed.

Oh yeah for sure! Please let me know your first impressions, how you find it and what you like/dislike about it :)
    tumblr_nvqukkenkr1udwsc5o7_250.gif

"wahoo" - aquaman
  • doedeardoedear Posts: 303 Member
    edited October 2018
    I'd definitely consider Seasons over Get Famous since it actually has enough activities for it to be considered an EP.
    Hi
    I have returned after playing to near fall.

I decided to stop by and ask you if there are any specifics you are wondering about.

Overall I'll say it is pretty enjoyable and adds a new dynamic to the game.
  • EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    edited October 2018
    Thanks for this thread. This is one EP I haven't bought yet. I was wondering how the holidays and traditions worked in the game. I think I may get this one next time an Origin BYB (Build Your Bundle) comes around. Nice to know some of them can be deleted (Neighborhood Brawl Day doesn't sound like too much fun LOL).
    Thanks for this thread. This is one EP I haven't bought yet. I was wondering how the holidays and traditions worked in the game. I think I may get this one next time an Origin BYB (Build Your Bundle) comes around. Nice to know some of them can be deleted (Neighborhood Brawl Day doesn't sound like too much fun LOL).

Anything specific you want to know about them?

They are quite fun and I can upload pictures later. In short the game has 4 holidays it ships with and with the holiday you have tasks to complete like being romantic and that is your tradition.

What I found really nice is the amount of different decorations to put on the house and all your neighbors decorate. Some sims silk also not enjoy certain traditions due to their skills or relationships and I guess will be happier not doing them.

It's also super easy to use the holiday system to create a holiday for something like a birthday and add gifts as a tradition. I'm about to test that out when I play again.

The weird holidays like brawl day can be cancelled.
  • kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    as has been mentioned several times before, in this thread and others, the neighborhood brawl day isn't actually anywhere near as bad as people think from the name. yes, sims get into fights. but after each fight, they hug and get a positive relationship boost out of it. (the only drawback is if you have the parenthood pack and a parent sees their kid or teen get into a fight with another kid or teen...even if it 's a friendly fight, the parent gets angry about it. this also happens with vampire teens and sparring)

and the random holidays (neighborhood brawl, prank day, new skill day, night on the town, rebate day, talk like a pirate day) are...well, random. there is a chance for one to show up each week, as long as there's not already a holiday scheduled for a specific day. my test year (with a vampire hibernating through it) had some holidays show up twice in the full 28 day season years, but all of them showed up at least once in the year (shorter seasons, of course, mean less likely to see all in one year). and they can be cancelled if you catch them in time, but there's nothing actually bad to any of them, so no need to cancel if you didn't get it in time. and if you do want to cancel them, you have to check every sim week to see what pops up... (if you do cancel one, i'm pretty sure it still has a chance to come up again later. but i don't cancel any, so haven't tested that out)
  • SamadamsPlayerSamadamsPlayer Posts: 583 Member
    I’ve recently brought it on sale on origin would have liked the box but can’t compline
    I love the weather so far I have it on 28 days and long life span
    I’m a family player , I’m still on spring Ive added a few holidays of my own I do have some bugs but that was with the last patch
    I feel we need more icons for our holidays maybe some more traditions I can’t wait for sim Xmas I’ve had a few surprise holidays pop up which was nice I won’t be able to give my full opinion till I have done a sim year
    Happy simming everyone
    Hi

I decided to stop by and ask you if there are any specifics you are wondering about.

Just the general vibe it presents to your game, do you feel it adds a lot? a little? - like your opinion on general game play?
    Holiday frequency was the main thing I noticed but because I watch LPs - they might play off camera which made it seem like they were a lot closer together than they actually are? Do you feel like the holidays are spaced enough that enough time has passed before you experience another holiday?
    What season length and life span are you playing with?
    The roller rink/ice skating rink?... opinions?

Sorry for all the questions but you put it out there and I full on ran with it :)

"wahoo" - aquaman
  • slamondaslamonda Posts: 1,357 Member
    I set to 28 days I so think it rains a lot but I love winter and the celebration the tree decorating is neat
    Hi

Just the general vibe it presents to your game, do you feel it adds a lot? a little? - like your opinion on general game play?
    Holiday frequency was the main thing I noticed but because I watch LPs - they might play off camera which made it seem like they were a lot closer together than they actually are? Do you feel like the holidays are spaced enough that enough time has passed before you experience another holiday?
    What season length and life span are you playing with?
    The roller rink/ice skating rink?... opinions?

Sorry for all the questions but you put it out there and I full on ran with it :)

Haha it's fine! I'm the same :)

I think it adds a lot in a lot of ways. For instance I have a washing line and do you know what kind of dirty clothes backup there is. It's been storming since summer started XD or definitely adds something to the game that I wouldn't play without again although I haven't really seen sims react to light rain and some of the affects look off like no splash on the ground. But if you ignore what isn't there and focus on what is there I think the general atmosphere is pretty enjoyable. If you're into gardening I can't recommend the pack more, the sprinklers and rain are a blessing.

There is about one holiday a season. I've only gotten one random holiday and that was lotto day. I also added spooky day and leisure day. I also created a holiday to celebrate the babies birthdays so they can receive gifts when they become toddlers. So it is useful but there could be more traditions but these are pretty flexible. I play with 7 days and normal lifespan and it feels fine to me. I definitely feel there is enough time between holidays so they don't feel annoying.

Adding to this what it adds to the environment is gorgeous. Seeing the lighting be brighter in summer or all the plants flower during spring.

I love the settings. The skates don't take forever to appear like in sims 3 but I wish they could do the hand holding and twirling like in 3. They can't actually skate together in that way.

I hope that helps. Anything else? Something you want me to look at specifically?
  • Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    @PastelMermaid - I play on season length of 14 days. My life span is normal. I tried to play on 7 days, which is too short & 28 days is way too long. I really like 14 days. Green houses are so fun....I added a greenhouse to my Sims Legacy House and I love it. The plants that are in season are outside (as they grow faster) and I keep all plants not in season in the greenhouse and rotate them each season.

Here's a picture of the house I built....decorated for Spooky Day (greenhouse attached):
    gF4MkJe.png

Yep, weather is completely different in all worlds for each season. I play in Willow Creek, and it's currently winter...so I might send them over to Oasis Springs....where it doesn't snow, and the weather is warmer in winter season. The only downside, is that we don't get a forecast of all the worlds (just the world you're currently in). I usually travel to the world I want to plan an event in & take a quick peek at the calendar and then travel home & plan the event. I can't tell you how many times I've pre-planned a vacation in Selvadorada or an outdoor wedding in Brindleton, for it only to be raining upon arrival.

But I'll also share another perk to Seasons that I like. The weather is never the same per calendar year. I'm playing Legacy Challenge, in the same home/same lot....and I'm in Gen 4. So each Fall, or each Winter, I notice the weather is different. Last Winter, it snowed tons in Willow Creek....blizzard after blizzard. Currently, it's Winter and it's cold/freezing....but there's been no blizzards so far. & it's only snowed once and I believe I'm on day 7 of 14. So I find that super cool....where the weather isn't redundant, when the next Winter or Fall rolls around again. It keeps my game fresh and interesting. I sent my Sims on holiday to Selvadorada (where it doesn't snow) when I had all those blizzards. This Winter, seems like it'll be pretty mild.
    @Sha2520032003 your house is stunning! is this on one of the larger lots? the green house attached is also beautiful and I'm loving the new glass roofs (I've not played with those yet)

Thank you for your comment and @06Bon06 for yours - both have been really helpful and telling.. definitely think I've been brought over on the idea, it sounds like it does actually add a lot to the game, in both design aesthetic and actual content. The fact the weather isn't like "on loop" is so nice to hear! I have a couple different games going on (1 family generations vibe, the other a IRL kinda vibe and I wanna do a alphabet legacy). I like that, like IRL, you could be having winter and head to another world and its like summer? > that's pretty cool.

I think I play with a long life span.. so would the shorter season span be better? or go for the longer one?

"wahoo" - aquaman
    @Sha2520032003 your house is stunning! is this on one of the larger lots? the green house attached is also beautiful and I'm loving the new glass roofs (I've not played with those yet)

Thank you for your comment and @06Bon06 for yours - both have been really helpful and telling.. definitely think I've been brought over on the idea, it sounds like it does actually add a lot to the game, in both design aesthetic and actual content. The fact the weather isn't like "on loop" is so nice to hear! I have a couple different games going on (1 family generations vibe, the other a IRL kinda vibe and I wanna do a alphabet legacy). I like that, like IRL, you could be having winter and head to another world and its like summer? > that's pretty cool.

I think I play with a long life span.. so would the shorter season span be better? or go for the longer one?

I just changed mine to long and I kind of like the 7 day seasons because then toddlers and can experience every season and all the other ages too.
  • kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    just chiming in to say that i play with aging off and because of that absolutely love the 28 day seasons. like to play at my own pace and all the lifespans seem too short for that and make me feel like i need to hurry up and do things. but now sims get aged up when i feel like they need it (...i've had some who have been teenagers for real life years now. one only got aged up when city living dropped. she's now a vampire, so aging doesn't bother her anymore, anyway)

the longer season lengths the more likely you are to see each hidden holiday per in-game year, but that doesn't really matter much because it appears they try to rotate through all, or at least most, of them before you see a duplicate again, even on the shortest season setting (i actually approve of that, even if some may think it's weird that you don't get the lottery every year with 7 day seasons)
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    kalaksed wrote: »
    just chiming in to say that i play with aging off and because of that absolutely love the 28 day seasons. like to play at my own pace and all the lifespans seem too short for that and make me feel like i need to hurry up and do things. but now sims get aged up when i feel like they need it (...i've had some who have been teenagers for real life years now. one only got aged up when city living dropped. she's now a vampire, so aging doesn't bother her anymore, anyway)

the longer season lengths the more likely you are to see each hidden holiday per in-game year, but that doesn't really matter much because it appears they try to rotate through all, or at least most, of them before you see a duplicate again, even on the shortest season setting (i actually approve of that, even if some may think it's weird that you don't get the lottery every year with 7 day seasons)

I also play with aging off and the 28 day season span! I feel like I get to immerse myself completely in each season that way. I do agree that the holidays seems spaced out well on these settings. As a reminder, for those who don't have Seasons, you can easily delete the holidays you don't want! It's extremely customizable!

I just changed mine to long and I kind of like the 7 day seasons because then toddlers and can experience every season and all the other ages too.

I didn't think about that... so you're playing with long life span and short seasons? does that make the seasons then feel rushed? because you experience them so quickly. like it's no time to enjoy that season? I know it's all personal preference at the end of the day but I'm just curious

"wahoo" - aquaman
    alan650111 wrote: »
    kalaksed wrote: »

I also play with aging off and the 28 day season span! I feel like I get to immerse myself completely in each season that way. I do agree that the holidays seems spaced out well on these settings. As a reminder, for those who don't have Seasons, you can easily delete the holidays you don't want! It's extremely customizable!

Yeah, I know the calendar is a really cool element of the seasons pack, both with keeping track of birthdays (I recently missed one and she was NOT happy about it). And I feel like having the holidays and traditions really add to the vibe (making your own traditions and such for the household) .

I like the fact everyone commenting on my thread is saying that the seasons don't feel rushed, like moving from one to the next.. that's the one thing that I was apprehensive about.. but I know (again) that if you tweak the settings and aging and stuff this can also work out in every simmers favour dependent on their game play styles.

"wahoo" - aquaman
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    I play long life span & long season.... And I have 2/3 times of lottery events in a Sim year.. :D I prefer long season, because I don't want to feel so rushed to play my Sims... plus, times moving so fast IRL.. :p So, I want my Sims to take times enjoying the season transition and works on their skills, careers and the kids characters value..
    OID:- x4m1r4
    @xamira99 thank you for the comment and input to my thread :) that's my main thing, I wouldn't wanna rush to experience the season/weather changes and still have a wholesome feel throughout my household, each sim having the seasonal fun (without feeling stuck in school/work/being a toddler)

"wahoo" - aquaman

I didn't think about that... so you're playing with long life span and short seasons? does that make the seasons then feel rushed? because you experience them so quickly. like it's no time to enjoy that season? I know it's all personal preference at the end of the day but I'm just curious

Im. Not sure I can answer this. Mine does feel like I don't get a lot of time to do stuff but it also makes me not experience everything immediately and fully.

My game feels rushed because my sims had twins that are now toddlers, one clingy and one fussy and a dog that constantly wants walks. So my sims are getting next to no time to do anything.
    @xamira99 thank you for the comment and input to my thread :) that's my main thing, I wouldn't wanna rush to experience the season/weather changes and still have a wholesome feel throughout my household, each sim having the seasonal fun (without feeling stuck in school/work/being a toddler)

Yeah... I prefer not to stress my Sims out.. lol.. Every time the Sims kids bring back the projects.. I will let them take time to build it instead of doing it in one go... same goes for the careers... My Sims need a life too! :D

Hope that you'll enjoy this pack as much as I do..
  • LuckySimmer10LuckySimmer10 Posts: 116 Member
    xamira99 wrote: »
    I set my seasons to 28 days and the lifespan to long... I pretty much enjoy the season transition... slowly... :D I personally believe that Seasons enhance your gameplay a lot.. :) You can always delete the events/holidays if you want.. and add it according to your needs...

I actually do this as well too! I thought I was the only one!
    xamira99 wrote: »
    I set my seasons to 28 days and the lifespan to long... I pretty much enjoy the season transition... slowly... :D I personally believe that Seasons enhance your gameplay a lot.. :) You can always delete the events/holidays if you want.. and add it according to your needs...

I actually do this as well too! I thought I was the only one!

Cool! :D Although I must admit, having the toddler with a long life span is a 'nightmare'... the mess is everywhere, but I always keep them busy dancing. I turn on the radio whenever they woke up! :D