Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do We Really Need Another Three Years? TS4 at Four Years Old

Comments

• OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    edited October 2018
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Personally, I want them to keep making TS4 for years. I like this game, there's still a lot they can add and I want to see what they do, and I don't want to start all over spending however much money it costs to get a new game and it's expansions when they can just keep building on this one. Especially since a lot of the things people are asking for in TS5 (open worlds, for example) don't interest me at all. I don't really get the people who complain about the price of this game and how much they've dropped on it and yet it's still "empty", but also want a new game they'll have to spend just as much on over time that will be just as empty (at least at the start), when they can continue filling this one up with things people want. Not that I'm passing judgement on those who do want to just move on to the next game already, obviously different people have different preferences and wants from the game, but I just... don't get it.

tl;dr - I like this game, it's fine with me if they keep it going for years to come.

It's still 'empty' after over $400 -$500? some have spent when Sims can't even face each other to dance, four years later, Simmers can't even remove a pink tree out on the sidewalk after four years later, Sims can't even have a car four years later, Sims can't even slow dance, four years later, Sims can't even understand why they are attracted to one Sim instead of another, four years later, all the EPs have had less game play than their counter parts of previous EPs, Sims don't even have higher education four years later, there are like two trillion missing emotions, whims/wants, traits, aspirations, and careers four years later, compared to the point of where the previous games were in this point in time. How much does anyone want to spend $1000 and still can't face each other to dance, or still a handful of traits and careers they keep reusing over and over? Really?
    I've played over 4000 hours and have all the packs. If I take $500 (not even sure if this was the actual cost, I'm just taking your highest estimate because I'm too lazy to look it up lol) divided by 4000 hours, I've spent 12.5 cents per hour of entertainment, which is reasonable to me. I think TS4 is fine and that it will only get better; they're still giving us more great content (imo), including free updates. I don't personally think TS4 is empty and am okay with what I've paid for it. I said that I didn't understand why other people would want a new game if they find it empty when the next game is likely to be just as "empty" if they're rushing to push out the next game, especially at the beginning, and will likely cost just as much. Part of the problem with this game not having so many features at it's release that had to be patched in later is that it was rushed to release. I'm not really sure what else to say, clearly we just expect different things of the game, and that's ok.

What is this mindset that it matters how many hours anyone has played. Is that the goal to play more hours than anyone else? I know you are trying to say how cheap it's been costwise for the hours you have played. But I find it odd TS4 players are always keeping up with the actual total of how many hours they have played. Is that the actual goal to some? Because I read it everywhere. (It's almost like those folks who love RPGs more than sandbox and need to keep up with their totals).

Non-Real Simmer (TM) here. No, the goal is not to keep track of how many hours and relate that cost incurred. It is, rather, a case of wondering on occasion just how many hours you spent playing a particular video game. It is also not limited to The Sims 4. For example, I currently have logged 895 hours in Overwatch, 1233 hours in Street Fighter 5, 1702 hours in Pillars of Eternity, in addition to the exactly 4600 hours I have in The Sims 4. The information is also not difficult or arduous to obtain. Specifically, in the case of Origin, the information is obtainable by clicking the mouse exactly twice.

Again, there is no goal. It is simple curiosity. Have you not wondered just how many hours you spent playing The Sims 2? I think it would be a normal thing to consider, and certainly not something to be used as a stick with which to beat others should they contemplate such things.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    Personally, I want them to keep making TS4 for years. I like this game, there's still a lot they can add and I want to see what they do, and I don't want to start all over spending however much money it costs to get a new game and it's expansions when they can just keep building on this one. Especially since a lot of the things people are asking for in TS5 (open worlds, for example) don't interest me at all. I don't really get the people who complain about the price of this game and how much they've dropped on it and yet it's still "empty", but also want a new game they'll have to spend just as much on over time that will be just as empty (at least at the start), when they can continue filling this one up with things people want. Not that I'm passing judgement on those who do want to just move on to the next game already, obviously different people have different preferences and wants from the game, but I just... don't get it.

tl;dr - I like this game, it's fine with me if they keep it going for years to come.

It's still 'empty' after over $400 -$500? some have spent when Sims can't even face each other to dance, four years later, Simmers can't even remove a pink tree out on the sidewalk after four years later, Sims can't even have a car four years later, Sims can't even slow dance, four years later, Sims can't even understand why they are attracted to one Sim instead of another, four years later, all the EPs have had less game play than their counter parts of previous EPs, Sims don't even have higher education four years later, there are like two trillion missing emotions, whims/wants, traits, aspirations, and careers four years later, compared to the point of where the previous games were in this point in time. How much does anyone want to spend $1000 and still can't face each other to dance, or still a handful of traits and careers they keep reusing over and over? Really?
    I've played over 4000 hours and have all the packs. If I take $500 (not even sure if this was the actual cost, I'm just taking your highest estimate because I'm too lazy to look it up lol) divided by 4000 hours, I've spent 12.5 cents per hour of entertainment, which is reasonable to me. I think TS4 is fine and that it will only get better; they're still giving us more great content (imo), including free updates. I don't personally think TS4 is empty and am okay with what I've paid for it. I said that I didn't understand why other people would want a new game if they find it empty when the next game is likely to be just as "empty" if they're rushing to push out the next game, especially at the beginning, and will likely cost just as much. Part of the problem with this game not having so many features at it's release that had to be patched in later is that it was rushed to release. I'm not really sure what else to say, clearly we just expect different things of the game, and that's ok.

What is this mindset that it matters how many hours anyone has played. Is that the goal to play more hours than anyone else? I know you are trying to say how cheap it's been costwise for the hours you have played. But I find it odd TS4 players are always keeping up with the actual total of how many hours they have played. Is that the actual goal to some? Because I read it everywhere. (It's almost like those folks who love RPGs more than sandbox and need to keep up with their totals).

Non-Real Simmer (TM) here. No, the goal is not to keep track of how many hours and relate that cost incurred. It is, rather, a case of wondering on occasion just how many hours you spent playing a particular video game. It is also not limited to The Sims 4. For example, I currently have logged 895 hours in Overwatch, 1233 hours in Street Fighter 5, 1702 hours in Pillars of Eternity, in addition to the exactly 4600 hours I have in The Sims 4. The information is also not difficult or arduous to obtain. Specifically, in the case of Origin, the information is obtainable by clicking the mouse exactly twice.

Again, there is no goal. It is simple curiosity. Have you not wondered just how many hours you spent playing The Sims 2? I think it would be a normal thing to consider, and certainly not something to be used as a stick with which to beat others should they contemplate such things.

No, because that would severely depress me that I had wasted a good amount of my time on earth (no matter if I was unable to get out or whatever) with my nose in game when so much needs to be done elsewhere. It might prove I'm selfish with my time, or self absorbed or uncaring, or sloughtful. I would rather not know the exact amount of time I have wasted on the internet and or in games when I come to the end of my journey. But that's my own guilt trip. :)
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    edited October 2018

I can't speak for others, but I don't really keep track of it nor is it the goal for me, it just is what it is. It literally took only 5 seconds for me to check in Origin for this post.

But why did you? I have never looked at it, that is the difference, I think Origin may have registered one hundred for me, a few times when I had to start over, until I figured out how to play offline, it's none of their business. But if we want to stack up costs of the other games and their content of the base, and their EPs, TS4 is overcharging and with less to offer per pack. Yes, some things may be more fleshed out such as Vampires, but that's an exception compared to all other stuff that has been added to this game per cost per pack. TS3 by four years was so big the average player couldn't actually install it all as I said before without building a pc and stop using one off the shelf. The lack of simulation, activities, lack of careers, emotions, traits, aspirations, and interactions is still pretty astonishing after some have spent probably well over $500 if they bought it all.
    What do you mean? I looked it up to estimate the cost, like I said. I thought it was relevant to my post.

I've actually been buying things I don't have yet in TS3 recently and it's hurt my bank account more than this game and I get less satisfaction out of it and play it less. Sure there was more stuff in some of the packs, but many features felt half done or rushed to me, and I get bored of playing them quickly so I'd move on to the next pack pretty fast. Not that it isn't worth it, I'll keep buying them because I want them and I'd like a complete collection lol. Most recently I got Into The Future and it's been able to keep my attention longer than most packs, but from what I've heard on the forums it's been a lot of people's least favorite, so I might just have different taste than a lot of the fanbase. For me personally TS4 isn't perfect (what is?) but it checks more boxes for things I want in the game. I really just think we have different gameplay preferences and that's where we're disagreeing here.

Genuinely curious here: How can you compare the two when you're buying the sims 3 only to have a complete collection not necessarily to enjoy it?

Writin_Reg wrote: »

In other words, you're done. :p

I'm glad I don't feel like that - I am rather enjoying the ride. LOL. Nothing negative here anyway - keeps me sane and smiling. Look forward to see what else they have planned over the coming three years and hope I am here to enjoy it.

But you did feel that way in past posts before we finally got toddlers. You wouldn't buy anything else until they delieverd toddlers or at least that is what I read, I think. I think you said (correct me if I'm wrong) you went on a spending spree as soon as toddlers were patched in and purchased all the packs you had refused to buy. I'm not doing anything any differently than you did before toddlers. I'm pointing out we should have never had to wait for toddlers but that's old water under the bridge, and we shouldn't be waiting four more years for a fuller, more fleshed out game, either.

I find it amusing how those who used to dislike the game come down on people who currently have issues with the game. It's like just because you got what you wanted and now you're in love with the game doesn't mean you have a right to discredit someone who is still searching for the thing they want in the game. Everyone has their likes and dislikes of each iteration. And we all have a right to say that because we are all paying customers of said products. I've personally spent just as much money as the next person on this game and I shouldn't be discredited for my issues with the bugs or my distaste for certain things in the game no should anyone else. Everyone's opinion should be respected. Good and bad.
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    edited October 2018

No, because that would severely depress me that I had wasted a good amount of my time on earth (no matter if I was unable to get out or whatever) with my nose in game when so much needs to be done elsewhere. It might prove I'm selfish with my time, or self absorbed or uncaring, or sloughtful. I would rather not know the exact amount of time I have wasted on the internet and or in games when I come to the end of my journey. But that's my own guilt trip. :)

I don't consider time spent pursuing my own personal hobbies to be wasted time. I certainly don't consider myself to be selfish, self-absorbed, uncaring or slothful. I think that one can pour time into things they enjoy and still be a good person.

However, to the point of your previous assertion, it is entirely normal for people to track such things, especially now that proprietary DRM servers track that information automatically. As I stated before, Origin has the information readily available with a few mouse clicks. On Steam and GOG's Galaxy the information is displayed automatically, and by default.
  • thatsnotswegthatsnotsweg Posts: 697 Member
    edited October 2018

I can't speak for others, but I don't really keep track of it nor is it the goal for me, it just is what it is. It literally took only 5 seconds for me to check in Origin for this post.

But why did you? I have never looked at it, that is the difference, I think Origin may have registered one hundred for me, a few times when I had to start over, until I figured out how to play offline, it's none of their business. But if we want to stack up costs of the other games and their content of the base, and their EPs, TS4 is overcharging and with less to offer per pack. Yes, some things may be more fleshed out such as Vampires, but that's an exception compared to all other stuff that has been added to this game per cost per pack. TS3 by four years was so big the average player couldn't actually install it all as I said before without building a pc and stop using one off the shelf. The lack of simulation, activities, lack of careers, emotions, traits, aspirations, and interactions is still pretty astonishing after some have spent probably well over $500 if they bought it all.
    What do you mean? I looked it up to estimate the cost, like I said. I thought it was relevant to my post.

I've actually been buying things I don't have yet in TS3 recently and it's hurt my bank account more than this game and I get less satisfaction out of it and play it less. Sure there was more stuff in some of the packs, but many features felt half done or rushed to me, and I get bored of playing them quickly so I'd move on to the next pack pretty fast. Not that it isn't worth it, I'll keep buying them because I want them and I'd like a complete collection lol. Most recently I got Into The Future and it's been able to keep my attention longer than most packs, but from what I've heard on the forums it's been a lot of people's least favorite, so I might just have different taste than a lot of the fanbase. For me personally TS4 isn't perfect (what is?) but it checks more boxes for things I want in the game. I really just think we have different gameplay preferences and that's where we're disagreeing here.

Genuinely curious here: How can you compare the two when you're buying the sims 3 only to have a complete collection not necessarily to enjoy it?
    People buy the Sims 4, don't enjoy it, and hardly play but still compare the two. It's not like I'm not trying to enjoy it while I play, and I do enjoy quite a bit or I wouldn't want to keep building my collection, but I get bored really quickly with most of the content. It actually all started so I could better compare the games, starting with buying Seasons a month before it was released on TS4 so I could see how the new version stood up since so many people here were talking about TS3 Seasons at the time and what they'd like to see return. And for a month leading up to the release that's all that I played, so like, it's not that I'm not playing or trying to have fun with them. I just get bored so quickly with TS3 pretty consistently.
    Post edited by thatsnotsweg on
    gallery ID: thatsnotsweg

vYCrjvm.png
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    filipomel wrote: »
    At this point I feel the game is very complete, anything after now are just bonuses, I mean we now have pets, seasons, and a bunch of creative game play tools to further customize our own game and ways of playing. You mention in your post that by the end of The Sims 2's life it had all this content that Sims 4 still doesn't have, but what about all the content that Sims 4 has that the other games don't? Sims 4 is onto it's 6th expansion now (surprisingly might I add, as we've gotten 3 expansions within the past 1.5 years compared to the 1 a year we've been getting.) and that's not counting the game packs that also further flesh out parts of the game. When I look at The Sims 4 now with all of its packs, I see a pretty big game with tons to do and explore, and we've still got another (at least!) three more years. I hope they continue The Sims 4 until it has mostly everything that players want.

Let's talk about new aspirations and careers. Compared to the other games I'm going to bet most are still reusing the painter or writer career, and if you play rotationaly then you know there isn't really any new career or aspiratons comprared to TS2 or no way even a third of what TS3 had offered by year four. Then let's look at new emotions? I can't think of any new emotions they have added in the last four years. If they did add any then it only had to be one or two or I would remember that we got a bucket full of new emotions. TS3 offered tons of new aspirations and careers with each new EP, I think we can count on one hand or less how many have been added per EP. What does it offer the other games don't? I don't know, other than a broken group system, which my groups in TS2 work better than this game's buggy group system, and sure it has some active careers but they are linear, and what object does this game use most? The good ol' Sim computer. One of the most boring and over used objects of all time for careers, activities, or tasks. It seems it's use helps cut cost for simulation or animations and just use the same animations for every job or every aspiration requirement and make a cheap object have more uses and no need to add anything new out of the box as long as they can use the handy dandy, Sim computer to shoe horn in more tasks and more chores to do on the pc, for almost every career in this game, or every aspiration almost.

And four years later and kids are still mini mes, they still can't play tag, hopscotch, toss a ball, or anything else.
    This. I regret this topic constantly wanders off the actual subject. Of course one will prefer one game and the other will prefer the other, that’s personal (and often comes down to graphics, looks, smoothness, mechanics one likes and the other does not). But there are some factual differences, exactly like you mention here, that are worth considering. And one won’t mind (because the sims look so good and their animations are the best and the toddlers are cute or whatever totally valid though subjective reason) and the other can’t help wondering: why is this. And do I accept it and keep buying (yes, it most definitely is over 500 bucks by now and I can completely relate to the feeling of that money being worth it - Sims 3 wasn’t exactly cheap either - but still acknowledge in comparison to other franchises and in relation to what you actually get, it’s a lot of money) or do I say enough is enough. Which indeed, in other words, means you could be done, but if there’s one place to express that feeling and bring it up for discussion, it’s the feedback section of this game. And being done with the game (this version), if that indeed is the final conclusion, I’ve said it before, is not the solution some confuse it for. It’s the problem.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited October 2018
    As long as this game exists and is still being made nothing changes that. As long as they produce content people want and enjoy - they have every reason to keep that boat floating especially when that boat has proven to keep this game the 2nd most selling game EA has- year over year, and quarter over quarter.Only Fifa outsells it. It has the sells so they'd be foolish not to keep providing the content people are still constantly buying no matter how tired of it some are, others are not - those some are not in the least affecting the games constantly topping sells. No company in their right mind would shut off their top selling games and that is a fact. Especially if there is nothing to take it's place to do as well. You don't bite off your nose to spite your face.

You only have to attend the Earnings call meeting every quarter to see how big Sims 4 is and is steadily on top.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    At this point I feel the game is very complete, anything after now are just bonuses, I mean we now have pets, seasons, and a bunch of creative game play tools to further customize our own game and ways of playing. You mention in your post that by the end of The Sims 2's life it had all this content that Sims 4 still doesn't have, but what about all the content that Sims 4 has that the other games don't? Sims 4 is onto it's 6th expansion now (surprisingly might I add, as we've gotten 3 expansions within the past 1.5 years compared to the 1 a year we've been getting.) and that's not counting the game packs that also further flesh out parts of the game. When I look at The Sims 4 now with all of its packs, I see a pretty big game with tons to do and explore, and we've still got another (at least!) three more years. I hope they continue The Sims 4 until it has mostly everything that players want.

Let's talk about new aspirations and careers. Compared to the other games I'm going to bet most are still reusing the painter or writer career, and if you play rotationaly then you know there isn't really any new career or aspiratons comprared to TS2 or no way even a third of what TS3 had offered by year four. Then let's look at new emotions? I can't think of any new emotions they have added in the last four years. If they did add any then it only had to be one or two or I would remember that we got a bucket full of new emotions. TS3 offered tons of new aspirations and careers with each new EP, I think we can count on one hand or less how many have been added per EP. What does it offer the other games don't? I don't know, other than a broken group system, which my groups in TS2 work better than this game's buggy group system, and sure it has some active careers but they are linear, and what object does this game use most? The good ol' Sim computer. One of the most boring and over used objects of all time for careers, activities, or tasks. It seems it's use helps cut cost for simulation or animations and just use the same animations for every job or every aspiration requirement and make a cheap object have more uses and no need to add anything new out of the box as long as they can use the handy dandy, Sim computer to shoe horn in more tasks and more chores to do on the pc, for almost every career in this game, or every aspiration almost.

And four years later and kids are still mini mes, they still can't play tag, hopscotch, toss a ball, or anything else.

You seem to forget that aspirations and careers in the Sims 4 are a lot different than they were in Sims 3. Aspirations in Sims 4 are a process to complete, while Sims 3's aspirations (Lifetime Wishes I believe they were called) was just one goal that you tried to reach. I understand that some may prefer Sims 3's Lifetime Wishes over Sims 4's aspirations, as the wishes gave the player a long term goal to work towards to, and it was up to the player on how to achieve it, while Sims 4 guides the player through various stages of the aspiration in a typically linear way. Bottom line is, Sims 4's aspirations are a different mechanic than Sims 3's Lifetime Wishes. I will agree though, I really wish we had more Aspirations in Sims 4.

As for careers, all the careers in Sims 4 have two branches (except the active careers from Get to Work), while only some of the careers in Sims 3 had multiple branches, so in a way, each career in 4 is really two careers. I too also wish to have more careers, but it seems this time around with careers, they try and make them in a way where they are distinct from one another, specifically with the 'Work from Home' approach they are taking with the new careers they make, instead of just making each new career a rabbit hole career, the way most were in Sims 3.

New emotions haven't been introduced to the game as of now, but I don't see why not adding new emotions is a bad thing, don't get me wrong I would love new emotions, but I fail to see how the lack of new emotions since launch is a negative thing.

Sims 4 has a ton of things that the other games don't have, but to refrain from leading this thread off topic (as I've done so already, hopefully in a respectful manner) I'd rather not start on that topic.

I agree the computer gets a lot of use in Sims 4, but I don't see how that's typically a bad thing since the computer this time around is just another really in depth object, but also I find that there is variety for completing tasks and doing activities beyond just using the computer.

I actually find the kids in Sims 4 to be the best kids in the series, they have their own set of skills and aspirations and I like that, it's a unique feature for them that makes them a unique life stage, I wish they would do the same with teens though.

Four years later I find that the developers expanded the game in a very meaningful way to me. I really like the Sims 4's approach with new content. It's very clear that with every piece of content they release, the developers learn a lot on what and how to further improve future content. I think many will agree when I say this, with each new packs release, it proves to be better and better with its quality and content when comparing it to older content. The developers do listen, it's very obvious that they do, and that excites me for what the future holds. So I am very excited for the next three years (possibly more) of content.

You seem to forget that aspirations and careers in the Sims 4 are a lot different than they were in Sims 3. Aspirations in Sims 4 are a process to complete, while Sims 3's aspirations (Lifetime Wishes I believe they were called) was just one goal that you tried to reach. I understand that some may prefer Sims 3's Lifetime Wishes over Sims 4's aspirations, as the wishes gave the player a long term goal to work towards to, and it was up to the player on how to achieve it, while Sims 4 guides the player through various stages of the aspiration in a typically linear way. Bottom line is, Sims 4's aspirations are a different mechanic than Sims 3's Lifetime Wishes. I will agree though, I really wish we had more Aspirations in Sims 4.

As for careers, all the careers in Sims 4 have two branches (except the active careers from Get to Work), while only some of the careers in Sims 3 had multiple branches, so in a way, each career in 4 is really two careers. I too also wish to have more careers, but it seems this time around with careers, they try and make them in a way where they are distinct from one another, specifically with the 'Work from Home' approach they are taking with the new careers they make, instead of just making each new career a rabbit hole career, the way most were in Sims 3.

New emotions haven't been introduced to the game as of now, but I don't see why not adding new emotions is a bad thing, don't get me wrong I would love new emotions, but I fail to see how the lack of new emotions since launch is a negative thing.

Sims 4 has a ton of things that the other games don't have, but to refrain from leading this thread off topic (as I've done so already, hopefully in a respectful manner) I'd rather not start on that topic.

I agree the computer gets a lot of use in Sims 4, but I don't see how that's typically a bad thing since the computer this time around is just another really in depth object, but also I find that there is variety for completing tasks and doing activities beyond just using the computer.

I actually find the kids in Sims 4 to be the best kids in the series, they have their own set of skills and aspirations and I like that, it's a unique feature for them that makes them a unique life stage, I wish they would do the same with teens though.

Four years later I find that the developers expanded the game in a very meaningful way to me. I really like the Sims 4's approach with new content. It's very clear that with every piece of content they release, the developers learn a lot on what and how to further improve future content. I think many will agree when I say this, with each new packs release, it proves to be better and better with its quality and content when comparing it to older content. The developers do listen, it's very obvious that they do, and that excites me for what the future holds. So I am very excited for the next three years (possibly more) of content.

So agree.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member

The point is that if someone has played 500, 1000, 2000, 4000 hours... they have clearly been enjoying the game, and it's had enough content to keep them happily occupied. It means that up to this point, it's been enough and not empty. I personally would never play something for hours on end just because it "might" get better in the future. For a new game, yes, I might play a few hours to see if how it plays and if gets better, but we're talking a few hours, not hundreds or thousands.

I do agree sometimes someone can get to a point and feel "done." That's okay, and I've definitely felt that way. I want to like Sims 2 again, because I used to love it, but I can't really play it anymore, because I burnt out on it. I got to a similar point with Sims 3. But I did enjoy the vast majority of hours playing those games (that was mostly pre-Origin, so I have no idea how many hours I spent on those).

Being pretty unfamiliar with many of Sims 4's careers I depend on Wiki there, so if I confuse things please correct me.
    As for careers, all the careers in Sims 4 have two branches (except the active careers from Get to Work), while only some of the careers in Sims 3 had multiple branches, so in a way, each career in 4 is really two careers.

Sims 3
    28 RH careers (9 with 2 branches, 10 with a single branch)
    10 open careers
    13 self-employed careers (which is completely open as well)

Sims 4
    28 RH careers (14 with 2 branches)
    4 open careers (bit confused here, counting the GTW careers but I don't see the vet career mentioned in the Wiki so I might miss more open careers?)
    No self-employment

So the claim "instead of just making each new career a rabbit hole career, the way most were in Sims 3" is a rather coloured observation I'd say. There indeed are a lot of RH careers (that often come with none RH gameplay by the way, like the politician who has to organize fundraising parties for instance), but so does TS4. And Sims 3 has a fairly substantial amount of open careers, plus the opportunity to be self-employed.

I'll leave it at that because I think it's best for now to stick to facts. "The best kids in the series" and "better and better with its quality" pulls it back to opinions. That's not what this topic is about. Some will prefer kids in 4, some in 3, some in 2. Not the subject. Some favour GTW, some GT, so if you feel with each new pack's release it proves to be better and better with its quality that's how you feel about that. Others apparently don't.
    5JZ57S6.png
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

Being pretty unfamiliar with many of Sims 4's careers I depend on Wiki there, so if I confuse things please correct me.
    As for careers, all the careers in Sims 4 have two branches (except the active careers from Get to Work), while only some of the careers in Sims 3 had multiple branches, so in a way, each career in 4 is really two careers.

Sims 3
    10 open careers

Sims 4
    4 open careers (bit confused here, counting the GTW careers but I don't see the vet career mentioned in the Wiki so I might miss more open careers?)
    No self-employment

So the claim "instead of just making each new career a rabbit hole career, the way most were in Sims 3" is a rather coloured observation I'd say. There indeed are a lot of RH careers (that often come with none RH gameplay by the way, like the politician who has to organize fundraising parties for instance), but so does TS4. And Sims 3 has a fairly substantial amount of open careers, plus the opportunity to be self-employed.

I'll leave it at that because I think it's best for now to stick to facts. "The best kids in the series" and "better and better with its quality" pulls it back to opinions. That's not what this topic is about. Some will prefer kids in 4, some in 3, some in 2. Not the subject. Some favour GTW, some GT, so if you feel with each new pack's release it proves to be better and better with its quality that's how you feel about that. Others apparently don't.

For open careers, I'd consider the businesses to fall under that category, so Detective, Doctor, Scientist, Retailer, Restaurant Manager, Vet, and now Actor, so that would make 7 open careers (that's saying if you count the businesses to be a career). There is no self employment in Sims 4, but the function of being self employed still exists, your sim can still make money doing a variety of activities in the game, that's all self employment was in 3, the only purpose self employment served in 3 was giving your self employed sim a job title. As for me mentioning the kids and the whole "getting better and better statement," did I not talk about those topics in a subjective/opinionated manner? "I actually find the kids in Sims 4 to be the best kids in the series", "I think many will agree when I say this, with each new packs release, it proves to be better and better with its quality and content when comparing it to older content", I wasn't trying to be factual with those statements, I was just giving my own personal input on the topic.
    edited October 2018

Sims 3
    10 open careers

Sims 4
    No self-employment

If that was the case of most not feeling that way then explain how Sims 4 is the 2nd best selling game year over year of all the games EA has So apparently MOST disagree with you - and the fact they extended the game because it continues to make huge amounts of money. Even the wall st investors remark about how well this Sims 4 game is and does every single meeting. You see if the investors see something doesn't make money and sell well - well that's when we hear a studio get closed a game gets ended - as all they care about is the bottom line. You can read first hand for yourself the transcripts in the Q & A's of meeting where the investors talk to the heads of EA. You can hear it yourself if you go to the meeting and call in. It's not just people guessing or assuming - it's talked about and from what I hear and see - this game is not going away any too fast. The investors like it - obviously - as only Fifa does better than Sims 4.

You can say what you want but the truth is out there and the truth does not agree with what you say about the majority of players.

The next Earning call is October 30th I believe. Tune in yourself.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Pegasys wrote: »

The point is that if someone has played 500, 1000, 2000, 4000 hours... they have clearly been enjoying the game, and it's had enough content to keep them happily occupied. It means that up to this point, it's been enough and not empty. I personally would never play something for hours on end just because it "might" get better in the future. For a new game, yes, I might play a few hours to see if how it plays and if gets better, but we're talking a few hours, not hundreds or thousands.

I do agree sometimes someone can get to a point and feel "done." That's okay, and I've definitely felt that way. I want to like Sims 2 again, because I used to love it, but I can't really play it anymore, because I burnt out on it. I got to a similar point with Sims 3. But I did enjoy the vast majority of hours playing those games (that was mostly pre-Origin, so I have no idea how many hours I spent on those).

Not really, the amount of hours tracked as played via origin is only counting how long the game was left open while orgin is logged on. I play offline 99.9% offline. The play time it shows is not correct, because it only tracks if I stay logged in. Oh, and some people could leave there game running with orginal logged in 24/7.
    I told you where to find it. If you can't be bothered to g read the Q & A in the Earning call transcripts for all the world to see - then not my problem. They discuss it in Questions and answers section with investors. It's a big deal even fuels wall st you could say.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    C
    I told you where to find it. If you can't be bothered to g read the Q & A in the Earning call transcripts for all the world to see - then not my problem. They discuss it in Questions and answers section with investors. It's a big deal even fuels wall st you could say.

Actually I did be bothered, I couldn’t find it because It’s not there. I even showed my source which doesn’t indicate that at all. But thank you so much for your help. Pleasure as always.
    Can I please ask where the evidence is that the sims 4 is the second biggest selling game? I can’t find any reference to that and I know EA don’t release sales information for the sims 4. No mention of it even here

JoAnne isn’t referring to the player base, she’s referring to the game itself. One could also argue if the game was doing so well, why so many lay offs of senior devs? That’s not a good sign for any franchise. Just saying. All this is irrelevant anyhow and going off topic (Sorry Cinebar) but I wonder what the forum is coming to when the answer to a discussion about in game careers turns to: “But it sells really well so you are wrong!”

My Husband has worked on many games, one of which consistently features in the top three most profitable games list. But just because it’s sold over sixty million copies doesn’t mean it’s beyond criticism. It’s not perfect. No game is.

From the last Earning call (The next will be Oct 30th I believe -

Operator

And your next question comes from Chris Merwin with Goldman Sachs.

Christopher Merwin -- Goldman Sachs -- Analyst

Okay, great. Thank you. I just have a couple. First for Blake, even with the backdrop of Fortnite, you had another very strong quarter on live service, up about 30% year-on-year. Was it FIFA Ultimate Team and competitive gaming that were the main driving force behind that, or was there anything else that you would call out, like Star Wars and MTX, which I think you brought back late in the quarter?

Blake Jorgensen -- Chief Financial Officer and Chief Executive Officer

So, on the live service piece, it was Ultimate Team across FIFA, Madden, and Hockey, and to a smaller extent, NBA, but really, Ultimate Team, number one driver. Sims 4, number two driver, and that's been consistent through the year. It's been extremely strong as we continue to add extra content to that game. And Battlefield 1, we're at the tail end of extra content along Battlefield 1. Battlefront was not a major addition since, as you mentioned, the MTX came in very late in the quarter.

But the other thing to remember is the breadth of our extra content subscription, advertising, all the other components continue to add up and help us build that base that we've been able to build, now over $2.2 billion, is what's so great about that live service business, because it continues to maintain a fairly large consistency year-over-year.

In dreams - I LIVE!

Sims 3
    10 open careers

Sims 4
    No self-employment

For open careers, I'd consider the businesses to fall under that category, so Detective, Doctor, Scientist, Retailer, Restaurant Manager, Vet, and now Actor, so that would make 7 open careers (that's saying if you count the businesses to be a career). There is no self employment in Sims 4, but the function of being self employed still exists, your sim can still make money doing a variety of activities in the game, that's all self employment was in 3, the only purpose self employment served in 3 was giving your self employed sim a job title. As for me mentioning the kids and the whole "getting better and better statement," did I not talk about those topics in a subjective/opinionated manner? "I actually find the kids in Sims 4 to be the best kids in the series", "I think many will agree when I say this, with each new packs release, it proves to be better and better with its quality and content when comparing it to older content", I wasn't trying to be factual with those statements, I was just giving my own personal input on the topic.
    No, it also involves leveling up, just like in the other careers. Up to ten levels. And I get the last part of your post, but it's not the subject of this topic.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    edited October 2018
    Can I please ask where the evidence is that the sims 4 is the second biggest selling game? I can’t find any reference to that and I know EA don’t release sales information for the sims 4. No mention of it even here

JoAnne isn’t referring to the player base, she’s referring to the game itself. One could also argue if the game was doing so well, why so many lay offs of senior devs? That’s not a good sign for any franchise. Just saying. All this is irrelevant anyhow and going off topic (Sorry Cinebar) but I wonder what the forum is coming to when the answer to a discussion about in game careers turns to: “But it sells really well so you are wrong!”

My Husband has worked on many games, one of which consistently features in the top three most profitable games list. But just because it’s sold over sixty million copies doesn’t mean it’s beyond criticism. It’s not perfect. No game is.

From the last Earning call (The next will be Oct 30th I believe -

Operator

And your next question comes from Chris Merwin with Goldman Sachs.

Christopher Merwin -- Goldman Sachs -- Analyst

Okay, great. Thank you. I just have a couple. First for Blake, even with the backdrop of Fortnite, you had another very strong quarter on live service, up about 30% year-on-year. Was it FIFA Ultimate Team and competitive gaming that were the main driving force behind that, or was there anything else that you would call out, like Star Wars and MTX, which I think you brought back late in the quarter?

Blake Jorgensen -- Chief Financial Officer and Chief Executive Officer

So, on the live service piece, it was Ultimate Team across FIFA, Madden, and Hockey, and to a smaller extent, NBA, but really, Ultimate Team, number one driver. Sims 4, number two driver, and that's been consistent through the year. It's been extremely strong as we continue to add extra content to that game. And Battlefield 1, we're at the tail end of extra content along Battlefield 1. Battlefront was not a major addition since, as you mentioned, the MTX came in very late in the quarter.

But the other thing to remember is the breadth of our extra content subscription, advertising, all the other components continue to add up and help us build that base that we've been able to build, now over $2.2 billion, is what's so great about that live service business, because it continues to maintain a fairly large consistency year-over-year.

Thank you!

I just found that on page 9. So it’s the second biggest selling behind all the sports titles. That’s not surprising considering the sports games do well but I figured the sporting games would outsell the sims which it does so it’s not just FIFA outselling the sims, it’s the other EA sport titles too.
    edited October 2018

Sims 3
    10 open careers

Sims 4
    No self-employment

If that was the case of most not feeling that way then explain how Sims 4 is the 2nd best selling game year over year of all the games EA has So apparently MOST disagree with you - and the fact they extended the game because it continues to make huge amounts of money. Even the wall st investors remark about how well this Sims 4 game is and does every single meeting. You see if the investors see something doesn't make money and sell well - well that's when we hear a studio get closed a game gets ended - as all they care about is the bottom line. You can read first hand for yourself the transcripts in the Q & A's of meeting where the investors talk to the heads of EA. You can hear it yourself if you go to the meeting and call in. It's not just people guessing or assuming - it's talked about and from what I hear and see - this game is not going away any too fast. The investors like it - obviously - as only Fifa does better than Sims 4.

You can say what you want but the truth is out there and the truth does not agree with what you say about the majority of players.

How and where exactly did my "Some favour GTW, some GT, so if you feel with each new pack's release it proves to be better and better with its quality that's how you feel about that. Others apparently don't" suddenly turn into "If that was the case of most not feeling that way"? I never said anything about 'most' so please don't put that claim in my mouth. And again, this is not the topic. Apart from the fact I'm really not interested in sales figures when it comes to enjoying something. Though I must confess you made me curious where to find this data. I did some googling and all I could find was them referring to 'The Sims Community'. Including Sims 2 and 3 (still being played by many through Origin) plus Mobile.
    5JZ57S6.png
    edited October 2018

Sims 3
    10 open careers

Sims 4
    No self-employment

No, it also involves leveling up, just like in the other careers. Up to ten levels. And I get the last part of your post, but it's not the subject of this topic.

All leveling up does as a self employed sim is give your sim a job title that matches their current level of success, and sometimes some bonus cash. So a job title, I’m not wrong.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    There is also the semi-active careers. I just recently found out how fun they are. Two came with City Living, and one with Seasons. They allow for work at home or rabbithole. Well the active ones can be rabbit hole also if you chose it as long as you advance your sim to where they need to be now and then.
    We are getting another semi-active career in the next patch and of course the Actor active career is in the next pack which has me very excited. It might bump my favorite career (scientist) down a notch. There maybe more no clue as of yet. I'm still hoping we get some sort of self-employment one day because most of my sims "work" from home. Like I don't put my writer in the writer career normally. They are just a writer or a painter or a gardener ect...
    We also have things like being a street vendor ect.. busking.. playing for tips ect but I'm sure some of those were in the past versions. I don't remember them from the versions I played though.
    Not really sure why the convo went there but okay.

I love this iteration. What I know about the length of time its run is that when new themes come out and are revisited they are broader in scope and more user friendly than in the past to me. At least the past games I played. That allows me to tell stories that are more detailed. I don't mind waiting because when it comes for the most part I'm well pleased. I'm even enjoying some aspects and themes in gameplay with the current version that I didn't enjoy in the past for many reasons including those areas not being broad enough to cater to my gameplay, or not interesting enough to pull me in. People will wince that can't take the thought of it but I hope it has more than three years left..
    egTcBMc.png

Sims 3
    10 open careers

Sims 4
    No self-employment

How and where exactly did my "Some favour GTW, some GT, so if you feel with each new pack's release it proves to be better and better with its quality that's how you feel about that. Others apparently don't" suddenly turn into "If that was the case of most not feeling that way"? I never said anything about 'most' so please don't put that claim in my mouth. And again, this is not the topic. Apart from the fact I'm really not interested in sales figures when it comes to enjoying something. Though I must confess you made me curious where to find this data. I did some googling and all I could find was them referring to 'The Sims Community'. Including Sims 2 and 3 (still being played by many through Origin) plus Mobile.

No - see you don't get it Fifa is EA's biggest selling game of all their games and Sims 4 comes in second out of all EA's games period... and has been doing this it said quarter over quarter and year over year. It is why it is important to the big investors and they are very happy with these games and EA's live service as well. A few years ago they rarely mention the Sims games - now they mentioned The Sims 4 ALL the time. They seem very happy the game was extended and sells better than ever. Fifa and the Sims 4 make investors very happy - so we keep getting investors and EA keep the games coming. As Happy as they seem to be I have a feeling Sims 4 could go even longer at this rate. No investor has even once queried EA on the next series at all. They seem totally overjoyed with 4 and it's continuing to do so well.

In dreams - I LIVE!

edited October 2018

I don't consider time spent pursuing my own personal hobbies to be wasted time. I certainly don't consider myself to be selfish, self-absorbed, uncaring or slothful. I think that one can pour time into things they enjoy and still be a good person.

However, to the point of your previous assertion, it is entirely normal for people to track such things, especially now that proprietary DRM servers track that information automatically. As I stated before, Origin has the information readily available with a few mouse clicks. On Steam and GOG's Galaxy the information is displayed automatically, and by default.

Actually have a hobby is healthy and not considered wasted energy or time. It is healthy to find an escape to the humdrum and all that living life entails. Having a hobby or even several hobbies that helps one obtain balance in life and mind is actually a well earned goal and generally keeps people from pursuing less healthy outlets and depressions, etc. Hobbies are known to keep the mind and body in mental balance. So never wasted if you achieve that goal and feel contentment of sorts.

In dreams - I LIVE!

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top