Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 1 won't start

2...Next

Comments

• InvaderSonicInvaderSonic Posts: 1 New Member
    I have Windows 10 and I installed Sims 1 Deluxe and Hot Date and it worked fine but today I installed Sims Unleashed and now I can't get Sims 1 to launch no matter what I do. I've tried compatibility mode, running in administer, using all my CDs to attempt to launch it from them. Everything. Is there a way to fix this?
  • WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    @InvaderSonic The Sims doesn't work on Windows 10 because the game uses SafeDisc which is not compatible on Windows 10. If you have a PC with Windows 8.1 and earlier, you could use that PC to play The Sims provided you either remove the KB3086255 update or unblock the driver. If you don't have a computer without Windows 10, I'm afraid you're out of luck.
    Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
  • NewbieSimmerNewbieSimmer Posts: 32 Member
    It has to do with the disc copyright protection, and when everything went to Windows 10, it pretty much made the game inoperable. However, I have a patch for it meant for either The Sims: Complete Collection or The Sims 1 with all 7 expansions installed. I have a video of how to do it, but you install the patch at your own risk and results may vary. I still can't post links yet, but look up "The Sims 1- Windows 10 Patch."

And for added bonus, with the patch installed and a shortcut added to your computer, no disc is required to play. My video has a link in its description to the patch.
    Tired, hungry, or bored? Wave at the sky and yell "Foogitsnat!"
    Pic%2B15.PNG

YouTube channel: youtube.com/user/SariaFan93/about
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    edited January 2017
    Andy251991 wrote: »
    Here it is ,was looking for this thread, I got a xp laptop, it plays sims 1 just fine but when I add the expansion makin magic, sims wont even start loading it pops the picture makin magic but it stays on the desktop and never loads, whats the deal here lol so freaky, if anyone has suggestions plz help. Thanks

Newer versions of Windows typically do not allow applications, even applications run as administrator, to load other applications with administrator privileges. A security patch to Windows XP also makes this the case for Windows XP (though I do not remember which update for certain.) I was only able to install the Sims Complete Collection on my Windows 10 PC because there is only one installer program. But although I still have individual CD's of each of the Sims 1 games and EP's, I would not have been able to load any of the games beyond the first one if I had installed The Sims, then tried to install each of the EP's from their collective CD's (like the Livin Large that came out in 2002), because the installer for each of the EP's tries to load and run (as admin) a program from the first Sims disk to validate that the Sims is installed and update the game. I hope this makes sense to you. If you have a Windows XP computer however, you may be able to try running the installer in compatibility mode with administrative privileges for a previous version of Windows, like XP Service Pack 2 or Windows 98/ME. By the way, if you do succeed in installing from the individual CD's rather than having to get a package deal like Sims Double Deluxe or Sims Complete Collection, be sure to save the loadloop.wav file between installs with separate names (copy it to another folder, then rename it) - each one has different music from Sims 1, to Sims LL, to Sims HP, to Sims HD, to Sims Vacation, to Sims Unleashed, to Sims Superstar, to Sims Makin Magic. They also have to be installed in that order, or you will not be able to install all the expansion packs.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    edited January 2017
    Honestely they are plum to don't let us playing our old games without having troubles with vista and up.
    I have vista sp2 my game doesn't work, it even doesn't launch none of my cd. However the installation is right and happens well.
    Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)
  • Rolosim85Rolosim85 Posts: 14 New Member
    Even after the SecuRom troubleshooting, that you can just enable by the way with 2 command lines and the reverse after playing - no need for uninstalling updates. Anyone still having the game crash every 10 minutes?
  • thesimmer77thesimmer77 Posts: 33 Member
    Sorry to bring this thread back, but I am having the same problem, I am using Windows 7 64-bit professional, and trying to play the sims complete collection. I know the solution is to undo a windows update, but first of all I can't click windows update without my computer freezing (I think I found a way to solve that too, here...........Oh, I can't post links yet..............

You'll see there are still some problems people have in that thread and it isn't a permanent fix, it reappears with your next windows update. It's happening for me still, here and now, so MS hasn't fixed it with any update I've ever gotten.

Anyway, about removing a windows update, is this the only way? Because I would rather not undo a windows update. Although, it would let me play the Sims, I don't want it to fix what/if the update fixes (security issues, bugs, etc) unless perhaps there is another update I've gotten since then that fixes it without the problem that update caused. I'm also using a few items a modder has created from oddsim dot com

Also, do you know a program that can create an ISO/disc image of the sims complete collection discs? I don't like dealing with CD's/DVD's since they get scratched/damaged easily, and like inserting a virtual CD/DVD. However, I've tried a few different programs to do this and none of them have worked. Not Gizmo, not IMGburn, not WinCDEmu.
  • thesimmer77thesimmer77 Posts: 33 Member
    I found this, a link I can't post, which worked, turning off something......how many posts do I need to post links?

I did all these commands at the run prompt, except the last one since I need the driver turned on.

fter you install this security update, some programs may not run. (For example, some video games may not run.) To work around this issue, you can temporarily turn on the service for the secdrv.sys driver by running certain commands, or by editing the registry.

Note When you no longer require the service to be running, we recommend that you turn off the service again.

Warning This workaround may make a computer or a network more vulnerable to attack by malicious users or by malicious software such as viruses. We do not recommend this workaround but are providing this information so that you can implement this workaround at your own discretion. Use this workaround at your own risk.

To do this, type the following commands at an elevated command prompt. You should press Enter after you type each command.

To disable the driver's service, type the following command:

sc config secdrv start= disabled

To set the driver's service to manual, type the following command:

sc config secdrv start= demand

To enable the driver's service (and to set it to automatic), type the following command:

sc config secdrv start=auto

To manually start the driver's service, type the following command:

sc start secdrv

To manually stop the driver's service, type the following command:

sc stop secdrv
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    Honestely they are plum to don't let us playing our old games without having troubles with vista and up.
    I have vista sp2 my game doesn't work, it even doesn't launch none of my cd. However the installation is right and happens well.

I got my game to work with a modified .exe file. It is a single file with an .exe extension, and it won't work if the rest of the game is not installed from a legitimate source. To be on the safe side, I renamed my original .exe file to extension .old then copied the .exe file into my program files sims directory in the same place the old one was. The modified .exe file does not require any CD to run the game - it is able to use the rest of the files that were installed from the CD, including the Windows registry entry, to run the game. You have to make sure you have the right version of the .exe file.

Some people call it a "crack" but really it is just a means of running a pre-existing game that was legitimately acquired, without using the CDs. If Maxis was so concerned about security with what is now an abandonware game, they would release it on Origin Access and add it to the vault for paid subscribers to use, or release it on GOG games or Steam and make money off of it. While they are at it, they should add Sims 2 Ultimate Collection to the Origin Access vault too.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.