Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do We Really Need Another Three Years? TS4 at Four Years Old

Comments

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    I'm so old I played "Pong" on my black and white TV. This is getting into one of those arguments. (I actually did but never managed to "Learn QBasic in 21 days" - but I still have the book). Please calm down. I'm thinking that there is not such an age gap between you.

Talking about Python is derailing my thread. It has little to do with why we have to wait three more years to maybe see a neighborhood tool to allow us to remove or add trees, decorations etc. Or why it's taken four years for TS4 to play catch up. Then again, it may be the actual reason.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • StormsviewStormsview Posts: 2,603 Member

If the game engine can not do anything, then why do we need to wait 4 more years, Why delay a broken game. Leve it, and move on. So the plan? they will just sit and cry over Sims 4 broken incapable engine, and drag us simmers alone with them, giving us whatever they find on the cutting room floor, I pray Not.
    If you have a car that can not be fixed do you sit around 3 or 4 more years putting bandaids on it, No you get a New car, and get on with your life? I say we move on to SIms 5. I do not feel sims 4 was a failed I feel that the engine was the fail. Money is Money, but I would rather pay for a game that's on a well-built engine that can give us whatever we wanted on this one and more.

I know EA/Maxis can build great games, and I am tired of reading the chat about how poor the engine is. Why do they want to throw good money after bad money? that's a loss, not a win-win, I understand that it's not ready and that's what the wait is probably about, getting sims 5 ready. Just not knowing what we will get or if or when makes us argumentive and makes you uncomfortable. With buying, We are not children, I would just rather know, so I can make the choice to buy the next how many packs. We can handle that more then you think.

I would be happy to buy the new EP if I just knew if we were getting University, and groundwater of a sort, and some kind of car pack, No it does not have to ride on the streets. we have been through that, Cars are fun even not driving, we could wash our cars, pack them for outings and vacations, kids can get in a play drive or hide in the cars, they would go well as teleports from one area or another and taking the pets along same as in sims 2. We just want some type of cars, nice ones I hope garage doors is a must have. Maybe a pool slide, with some pool floats.
    Shutting off the light to us after simmers have followed you for years was unfair. We know Sims 4 is ending and that's cool we will play sims 4 while 5 is out just like they play sims 3 now. So why so secret?
    The Simmers has never been your enemy.
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
    Who said EA doesn't have a sense of humor
  • everyfan3417everyfan3417 Posts: 8 New Member
    I would have agreed with y'all that The Sims 4 is a big disappointment even a few months ago. But I really feel everything they've added to the game since the Toddlers update is *really* good. I don't know if they got in new development staff, or if they got new producers who let them do more of what they wanted, or what. But I am *very* interested in seeing what they can do next. I can't wait to see what The Sims 4 will be like a year or two from now. The whole state of the game's development is far away from what is was pre-Toddlers.
    I would have agreed with y'all that The Sims 4 is a big disappointment even a few months ago. But I really feel everything they've added to the game since the Toddlers update is *really* good. I don't know if they got in new development staff, or if they got new producers who let them do more of what they wanted, or what. But I am *very* interested in seeing what they can do next. I can't wait to see what The Sims 4 will be like a year or two from now. The whole state of the game's development is far away from what is was pre-Toddlers.

Aren't you worn out by now? It's four years later and here we are still saying, TS4 has 'potential'. The hare has crossed the finish line and this turtle isn't even methodical in how it attempts to reach the finish line. :(
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    Yeaaaahhh, but it's only since the Toddlers update that the game's really gotten good, and that was relatively recently. I'm also not at all convinced a Sims 5 is currently in development; if it was I don't think they'd be doing so much good work for TS4.

[="everyfan3417;c-16777999"]Yeaaaahhh, but it's only since the Toddlers update that the game's really gotten good, and that was relatively recently. I'm also not at all convinced a Sims 5 is currently in development; if it was I don't think they'd be doing so much good work for TS4.[/quote]

They may think they owe it to us. Also, they like a good reputation, so of course they want sims 4 to stop as a winner, not as a fail, I would do the same. Whatever their plans, they are working on them now. It's just a small team I think that's working on Sims 4. pc, we always wish them the best. Even when we are upset. :s:)
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
  • IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    Stormsview wrote: »
    They keep giving us uncompleted projects now our new Terrain tools have this and that , how silly to not to add water over the complete land just below the surface ...<snip>

He addressed this point by saying that if they waited until they had completed everything they could we'd be waiting years. He said (and I agree) that they thought it was better for us to have what they had completed so far, and get other things as they go along.

• alexandreaalexandrea Posts: 2,432 Member
    TS4 is just getting started. I'm glad we're getting more content.
    p6tqefj
    alexandrea wrote: »
    TS4 is just getting started. I'm glad we're getting more content.

Is that like telling one of my teens (back in the day) to clean their room, and four years pass before they get around to it? Someone gave me an actual 'round to it' it was made of wood, circular like a wooden coin and Round To It was engraved on it ;)
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    If after four years the game is just getting started; what the heck have the first four years of content been? Filler? An experiment? An extended alpha state they forgot to tell us about?

It shouldn’t take four years and hundreds of dollars worth of content to make a game. To be frank to say after four years the game is just getting started is almost insulting to every player that has sank hundreds of dollars or whatever their currency is.

But as I always say potential isn’t a word you use after four years.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited October 2018
    I would not give up on a person who was trying their level best to succeed and tell them they had no potential. As long as they are trying their hardest in my eyes they will have potential until they stop trying.

Again I have to differ as there really is no time line for having potential if you are still working to get there.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

[quote="MidnightAura;c-16778448"]If after four years the game is just getting started; what the heck have the first four years of content been? Filler? An experiment? An extended alpha state they forgot to tell us about?

It shouldn’t take four years and hundreds of dollars worth of content to make a game. To be frank to say after four years the game is just getting started is almost insulting to every player that has sank hundreds of dollars or whatever their currency is.

But as I always say potential isn’t a word you use after four years.[/quote]

Yes! Most of the first four years the game absolutely sucked, and then pretty recently it's suddenly started getting really good. Therefore, I'm excited to see where they go next
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    No one is saying to a person you have no potential. World of difference between saying it’s a bit late to still be saying after four years the game has potential to saying to an individual you have no potential. It’s not personal.
  • Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    edited October 2018
    Cinebar wrote: »

Aren't you worn out by now? It's four years later and here we are still saying, TS4 has 'potential'. The hare has crossed the finish line and this turtle isn't even methodical in how it attempts to reach the finish line. :(

I know I'm worn out...Been worn out for some time now saying it has potential. Those days for me are over. This game is what it is and, for me, it might always be that way. I've come to terms with it and the fact that I was drawn into the shininess of it, put a lot of money into it, and now I play to try and get my money's worth. I'll be plummed if I spent over 400 USD on a game and just leave it to collect dust. But I mean I have good days where I can play for some time and bad days where I get so frustrated I cut the game off and uninstall or stop playing for some time. Maybe that's just me. But I see it for what it is now. It is flawed and its flaws are quite visible. I don't see things changing no matter how upset simmers get. That's been clear since the start. They do things on their own terms. The question is, do they do things on their terms in a way that gives the idea to some simmers that they actually are listening? Hmm, sometimes I wonder...

Anyway, these are just my opinions and I'm sure people will disagree with me. I don't really care though. At the end of the day, We all love this franchise whether we have good or bad to speak about whichever iteration. If we didn't all love it would we all even be here? I think not.

If after four years the game is just getting started; what the heck have the first four years of content been? Filler? An experiment? An extended alpha state they forgot to tell us about?

This!
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

I know I'm worn out...Been worn out for some time now saying it has potential. Those days for me are over. This game is what it is and, for me, it might always be that way. I've come to terms with it and the fact that I was drawn into the shininess of it, put a lot of money into it, and now I play to try and get my money's worth. I'll be plummed if I spent over 400 USD on a game and just leave it to collect dust. But I mean I have good days where I can play for some time and bad days where I get so frustrated I cut the game off and uninstall or stop playing for some time. Maybe that's just me. But I see it for what it is now. It is flawed and its flaws are quite visible. I don't see things changing no matter how upset simmers get. That's been clear since the start. They do things on their own terms. The question is, do they do things on their terms in a way that gives the idea to some simmers that they actually are listening? Hmm, sometimes I wonder...

Anyway, these are just my opinions and I'm sure people will disagree with me. I don't really care though. At the end of the day, We all love this franchise whether we have good or bad to speak about whichever iteration. If we didn't all love it would we all even be here? I think not.

This!

I can agree with that for sure - on all of them at one time or other - but I would not give them up for nothing. Most of the time they do take me away and give me a place to go where I feel pretty happy most times. Not a lot else can do that now a days - so for me it is money well spent and a smile I wouldn't have other wise.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    I'm sorry a lot of people just think Sims 4 is just about "potential" - I do think it has a lot of potential, and I'm eager to find out what's next, but I've spent the last couple of years playing the game -- over 2000 hours -- and fully enjoying it as it is. That wasn't me playing the game just hoping for the next thing to come along. I don't understand how people who play the game and then dismiss the enjoyment they had because it's not where they think it should be. Either you are enjoying yourself now, or you are not. If you are not, then it is not the game for you, or you might need to take a break. It is really that simple.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    edited October 2018
    It's futile to keep comparing the game to Sims 1, 2, and 3. Those games were completed in four years. This one won't be. And by complete I'm merely referring to the content people have come to expect in a sims game, not current enjoyment of the game. It doesn't matter that enough content was delivered within four years for 1, 2, and 3. This one is taking at least seven years to deliver all the content the developers have planned. They said in the beginning Sims 4 was going to be different. Am I having fun now? Yes. Do I need more content? No. Do I want more content? Yes.

ETA: @Pegasys I agree there's nothing wrong with saying the game has potential. I think it has the potential to deliver some never before seen gameplay in the sims franchise. That's what I'm most looking forward to.
    edited November 2018

I like your last line. It would look good posted on the wall of one of EA/Maxis Meetings. the truth, I really do like your last line. Its ok if it is your words, Wait? Did the send us a message, Would they.??
    Truth is I like your first too, the only thing I am afraid if you tell someone they have potential to be a singer knowing full well they will never sing well and even you yourself use earplugs when they sing. Anyone knows your not helping that person at all, and You could ruin their life with lies.
    I do not care how hard someone that cannot sing tries to, they will never be a superstar, just like sims 4 engine, I said before I do not pity buy anyone's product. ... Unless they were 4 years old and it was hot out and they had a little lemonade stand, I would buy a glass even if I saw them stirring it with half their little hands in the lemonade. because that's just cute. H6FYaOX.jpg
    Now everyone follow along, Oh, are they pc simmers? then they must do it with their eyes closed. :D:s
    do not push play
    https://youtu.be/5cNnf_7e92Q
    Post edited by Stormsview on
  • ScarletSimEaterScarletSimEater Posts: 126 Member
    If you're getting bored with sims 4, I 110% support your taking a break to play other games that you do enjoy. I'm okay waiting on sims 5 so that the sims team can get both their code and their ideas in order. I've just seen enough developers who were more upfront about what the process looks like, that I want to make sure that the team has actionable ideas.

So let me toss out a question about what players would want. On the one hand, we could go with a TS3 style. There are so many secrets hidden in the game, where you get something cool if you have the right things combine and interact, that you could be playing for years and still have one occasionally pop up and surprise you. There's also a huge toybox of things, that you can mix and match and combine in pretty much whatever way you want. The drawback is that every toy in that toybox only does what it says it does, and the combinations and surprises likewise always work the same way when the same bits are brought together.

The other option is the TS4 model. You have fewer discrete things, and packs are less likely to throw in some random cool idea just because. However, those things are designed to be flexible, and you can use the tools to change bits to your liking or to more successfully make the exact thing that you do want within the general theme of the mechanic. (E.G: A club that supports the rules that you want, a holiday with exactly the traditions you were expecting, etc.) You're less likely to find the specific cool thing that you wanted - or the cool thing that you never even knew that you wanted - than you would with the overflowing toychest. But you can tweak what you do find to your heart's content.

I'm not defending the current direction of TS4, nor saying that they haven't had some really meh packs. I just want people to share their high level, actionable thoughts to help shape the direction that TS5 winds up going in.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Pegasys wrote: »
    I'm sorry a lot of people just think Sims 4 is just about "potential" - I do think it has a lot of potential, and I'm eager to find out what's next, but I've spent the last couple of years playing the game -- over 2000 hours -- and fully enjoying it as it is. That wasn't me playing the game just hoping for the next thing to come along. I don't understand how people who play the game and then dismiss the enjoyment they had because it's not where they think it should be. Either you are enjoying yourself now, or you are not. If you are not, then it is not the game for you, or you might need to take a break. It is really that simple.

Many have different thoughts on what Sims 4 potential is and that is okay, If you enjoy the the game. Yes, some played the game and that is how they come up with on how the game is. This is nothing new for this happens in almost every game that is released. There is really nothing for you to understand because you cannot play for all players and tell them what to like and what not to like. No, Sims 4 is not where it should be for some and that is their prerogative to think how they think. Again, if you enjoy your game, enjoy and it is that simple.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    It's futile to keep comparing the game to Sims 1, 2, and 3. Those games were completed in four years. This one won't be. And by complete I'm merely referring to the content people have come to expect in a sims game, not current enjoyment of the game. It doesn't matter that enough content was delivered within four years for 1, 2, and 3. This one is taking at least seven years to deliver all the content the developers have planned. They said in the beginning Sims 4 was going to be different. Am I having fun now? Yes. Do I need more content? No. Do I want more content? Yes.

ETA: @Pegasys I agree there's nothing wrong with saying the game has potential. I think it has the potential to deliver some never before seen gameplay in the sims franchise. That's what I'm most looking forward to.

It's o.k. you want to hang out four more years, I would like to see a new game engine. Nothing wrong with that, either. By the fourth year of TS3, I was also asking Maxis to go ahead and announce the next game. :D This time it's more like I'm sitting in the great pumpkin patch waiting on the Great Pumpkin who Linus has promised would show up every year, and to Sally's chagrin, he never showed up, because he wasn't real. And in the meantime while Sally is waiting in that pumpkin patch, the others are having fun with all the festivites and she misses the 'fun' year after year waiting on the Great Pumpkin.
    If after four years the game is just getting started; what the heck have the first four years of content been? [/b]Filler? An experiment? An extended alpha state they forgot to tell us about?

You win the internet today. :D
  • DreamaDoveDreamaDove Posts: 393 Member
    edited October 2018
    Not to go back to talking about python, but gosh, I'm in a programming course at my uni and we just spent a whole class period talking about why python is bad. Like, it's easy to use, learn, and understand, but it's a resource hog and runs incredibly slow when compared to all the C languages or even Fortran. Also, changes between different versions of python are mostly bug fixes, so that might help. Though I suspect the vast majority of the bugs in ts4 are due to faulty programming by the 'gurus.'

Great.

As for does ts4 need another 3 years... I don't think it *should* need more years, but it does.

Like, I think that ts4 should have had a larger budget to accommodate a larger team to produce at least 2 expansions a year, 5 gamep1acks, and several stuffpacks (or no stuffpacks and dedicate all resources to gamepacks) a year as well as a lead producer who is well in tune with what the community wants. So that, by now, the game would have been FULL of relevant packs and we could move on to ts5. However, since EA gives the team a tiny budget and we're stuck with people who prioritize odd features, then we have a game that still feels empty and lacks many basic features.

It sucks.
  • GarethlexGarethlex Posts: 159 Member
    edited October 2018
    @MidnightAura

Yasssssss!!!!
    Your so right something or someone has potential at the very beginning not 4 years down the line and they still haven’t delivered !
    I enjoy the game to an extent it has room for my ideas and projects the potential is no longer in the base game it’s in what EP, GP or SP comes out next which in turn costs us as consumers a wod of cash to fulfill our expectations of the game !
    You would fire someone that cost you crap loads of money and never delivered!
    Listen, The Sims 5 would probably be even worse on launch than TS4 was at its. I guarentee you EA is gonna mandate they make it like a mobile game, with most of the features missing, essentially a beefed up version of The Sims Mobile.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top