Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Not feeling it with The sims 4 anymore..

Comments

• CeleSeraphymCeleSeraphym Posts: 2,316 Member
    I feel like I came to the point where I do not find TS4 so appealing any more...Someone else?

I feel you all the way, right here. I'm a long-time simmer who first started playing when Livin' Large came out for TS1. You couldn't pull me away from it, the entire run of the game. Same with TS2.

When I got immersed in TS2, going back to Sims 1 felt lacking because of the build controls and CAS. I still enjoyed my TS1 sims and stories that I'd made, but it was hard to really go back and PLAY. With TS3, I adored the new CAS with the patterns you could put on anything, and the open world! Oh man, it was insane. Built a new system to handle it flawlessly, it ran like butter. I was hooked. But I continued to play TS2 for a long time, even downloading cc and writing stories.

With TS3 I didn't play as much. I became a little more focused on sim-creating, lot building, and making pictures (got into the picture competitions here for a while). It was a new element of fun, however. I carried over my favorite family from TS2 and evolved them; all the kids grew up and some had families of their own, moved them all to Bridgeport with some living in the city and some in the hills. I could see all of their homes at once, and they'd visit each other and have parties together and hang out with nieces and nephews and blah blah blah. In that game, the towns felt like communities. You'd see a relative or friend drive past, you'd walk to their house. It felt so open and free, I loved it.

I played those three iterations without much interruption. A long span of no-playing would be maybe a week or two.

TS4. I build. I make sims. I build some more. I try to make an interesting family, euthanize some annoying monster under my traumatized kid's bed. I build a little more. Curse the fact that I don't have Collections for buy mode like in TS2 and TS3. Search endlessly in a list of hundreds of items for one stupid little cc loaf of bread to decorate a kitchen when I would've found it in 5 seconds with a Collections file. Sigh. Admire another lot. Exit the game and play Witcher 3 and get lost in it for hours.

I have tried S O :s H A R D to love TS4 the way I did the others, but it's like realizing a relationship just isn't working out, despite both people being decent human beings and not really hating each other. Sometimes it just doesn't work for you. Your partner could be the next person's dream come true but for you? Meh. So be it. I have accepted the fact that TS4 will forever be just "alright" for me. For someone else it's paradise, it's life, it's everything. It's the way I feel about Witcher 3 lol.

Build mode in TS4 is pretty cool. I love the wall height adjustments, wish we'd had that in TS3. Other elements are neat, like the time-of-day lighting and sun rays thru tall stately windows. My Japanese restaurant is pretty sweet, and being a vet is...interesting. But sometimes it feels so...boxed in. Yes we can, for the most part, do what we want, but there's a feeling of claustrophobia that I didn't experience even with TS2, let alone 3. I agree that the danger/chaos/unpredictability element is missing. Also...I don't know, it just feels like the soul of the Sims series is lacking with this one, whatever sparkly faerie magic that made the others so unique. Not trying to look thru rose-colored glasses because they ALL had teeth-grinding flaws, but for me, TS4 feels like a plastic imitation of the "real thing". If the real thing was Sims past, something with weight and meat which was carefully and uniquely crafted, TS4 feels like the cheaper bootleg that LOOKS like the original but is plastic and off-colored and lightweight and has some words spelled wrong on it or something (Rolex watch vs Molex watch, and the "gold" rubs off... 0_0). It feels lacking in something else that I can't quite put my finger on (others here have expressed it very eloquently, though).

Writin_Reg wrote: »
    It is belittling and demeaning todays games with all their goals and rules - when I just want to do what I want to do - no goals - no requirements - just build, or grow a family or get any career I feel like it - with no demanding I do or have this or that first... Even if it has some requirements in skills you have ample choices of how to reach that level in the Sims. I have been spoiled and cannot enjoy myself when a silly game makes the rules.

Even the simplest games are demanding - says I have to have so many friends or buy some crazy thing or other to do something or worse earn more time to play. Are they nuts? People like this? I cannot imagine how I ever used to love stuff like that - now it's all so demeaning.

I will simply start a different kind of game in my Sims - believe me most games do not cut it now a days no matter how much we pay for them. Even Fallout 4 quickly went down the tubes for me - and that had a degree of freedom - but not enough to make me who owns the darn game to feel I am in charge and I make the rules. ONLY the Sims games do that - and that's a fact......I am glad I realize myself Sim by and large is the kind of game I prefer. Other games are inferior period because they control us

You definitely have a specific type of game you enjoy, which is really cool. :) When I got heavily involved in TCGs (trading card mobile games), the people I played with pretty much ONLY played those mobile games - not even console or pc games, no Fallout, no Mass Effect or Sims or Civ or FPS's, nada. Barely knew what they were and felt they were all a waste of time. To each his own, for sure. For me...I'm hard pressed to think of very many games in the last...I don't know how many years, a thousand?...that didn't have structure and rules to some degree. PC, console, mobile, sports, board games, VR...it just seems fairly common that games have rules to follow or a goal or quest or challenge or something. Sandbox games can be relaxing, hella fun, creative, and free from all of that, but even Sims isn't unlimited in freedom. My sim kids have to go to school or else. Babies need supervising. They all need to eat, most need to work. Don't pay them bills? Hah, no lights for you, sucker! It's funny because people have so often complained about all of the micromanaging of sims, saying it's too constricting and restrictive. You can't live just anywhere you want if you don't have the money. Without funds, regardless of how badly you want it, you can't buy just anything, not if you don't use a cheat code or mod. You can't be at any level you want in a career if you don't work towards the goal of moving up, and so on. I can build on X number of lots and then kaplooey, no more free lot space, even though I need want them. No expandable town that has a different area to build more lots, or a way to expand your current lot just a liiiiittle bit outside of the boundary, like buying extra tiles in Civilization. No multi-venue lots. I'd like my building to be a museum AND a shop! Haha, you want what now? Please, that's ridiculous, no multi-use lot for you buddy. I can't arrange my cc the way I want in Collection files which would make things soooo muuuuuch better.

I appreciate your passion for Sims, Writin_Reg (you've been around a long time, I remember you from back in the day lol), though I respectfully disagree that all other games are inferior to Sims because of control. In my universe, Witcher, Mass Effect (even Andromeda), Cities Skylines, Civ 6, Skyrim, Legend of Heroes, South Park, Stellaris, Destiny (even Destiny 2), Alice: Madness Returns, Dragon Age (Origins), Diablo 3, Subnautica, Scattergories and Taboo are more fun than TS4, just to name ones off the top of my head that I own. And I'll add TS2 and TS3 to that list. TS1 would be fairly hard to play because of the build limitations, for me.

All that said, it's GOOD that people can get lost in Sims and get so much out of it. The series has been one of the best games I've played in my life and hopefully I'll never get completely tired of it, even with flaws and burnout breaks and even some rage.
    vLDcu1q.png
    "If you don't talk to your cat about catnip... who will?"

"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
  • Punkcandy900Punkcandy900 Posts: 3 New Member
    Everyone goes through a sort of lull in a game even hardcore action games and RPGs sometimes start to get repetitive. In the case of sims though it can happen more often because a lot of stuff is just repeated from older games. Personally I think There should be something that sets the others apart from each other.
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    Perhaps the new pack will pique your interest back into the game? It's certainly taken my interest again...
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    Perhaps the new pack will pique your interest back into the game? It's certainly taken my interest again...

Just came to the forum after some days and missed about this new pack.. I think i red somewhere 'celebrities'? Hmm.. usually this subject is not really a favourite of mine, but i will read into it now :) Unfortunately I think not any pack will fix the main system of The sims 4 that i have a problem with.
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member

Just came to the forum after some days and missed about this new pack.. I think i red somewhere 'celebrities'? Hmm.. usually this subject is not really a favourite of mine, but i will read into it now :) Unfortunately I think not any pack will fix the main system of The sims 4 that i have a problem with.

You're right, it won't. And might never will be fixed.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • GarethlexGarethlex Posts: 159 Member
    Everyone goes through a sort of lull in a game even hardcore action games and RPGs sometimes start to get repetitive. In the case of sims though it can happen more often because a lot of stuff is just repeated from older games. Personally I think There should be something that sets the others apart from each other.

A lull you call it... why sugar coat it the game has nothing much to offer the people buying into it ... from day one at most it had a good days worth of game play .... if it wasn’t for mods and simmer creativity this game would of stayed on the shelves ... point blank period !
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member

Sims 4 is the only game I have ever had a lull as you call it. I was able to play the The Sims (first base game only) for 15 years without mods and cc. Never had a lull with it. I am also able to play my other favorite franchise Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons without ever becoming bored. I see it as a problem with this iteration. This iteration is all about a social media and being online. The sims themselves gravitate to electronic devices as if they are addicts to them.
  • DesertSimmer1971DesertSimmer1971 Posts: 498 Member
    I understand how you feel OP. I have not played since about July. Granted, some of the reason's I haven't are due to personal life issues of taking care of my 92-year-old father-in-law since January and my own health issues. My husband and I had to find him a home about a month ago because of him being basically deaf, blind, and mobility issues, and my health issues, it became impossible to take care of him at this time.

But, even now, I just can't seem to want to play the game. I do have all of the packs except season's and for me, I just can't seem to have a desire to play. My husband just rebuilt my computer a week ago, and I haven't even re-installed origin yet, lol.

For me, I just feel that every sim is the same. I don't personally "care" about these sims in the sims 4 because they seem to lack personality. In my opinion, maybe that is just how this game was designed compared to the previous Sims games. I never felt like that playing sims 2 or 3. In those games, my sims felt like they had individual personalities, but when I play Sims 4, they just all seem the same regardless of traits. I miss the randomness of the previous games, consequences, in the previous games where I didn't dare leave my sims alone and walk away from my computer because they could possibly die, get robbed, etc. That randomness IDK, made me care about my sims, but in this version, it is too safe and predictable. The game plays itself, and even if I left the game running day and night, the sims would be fine (maybe not go to work), but they certainly still be alive constantly getting water and playing on their cell phones.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    soko37 wrote: »
    I do get disappointed pretty much every time I play because of lack of detail, lack of interactions with objects, some things being cartoony and ridiculous looking like the machine they use now to pull weeds, and lack of connection with the outside world like how we don't even have to gather flowers to arrange them at the table etc...I hate how everything just appears out of thin air and how so many tasks are completed without much or any visible interactions.

Overall the game is in fact watered down and you can tell corners were cut to get things out faster. I play sims 4 way less than I played sims 2 and 3. Lately I only seem to play sims 4 after new content comes out just hoping it will help but the same lack of everything I spoke about above seems to be maintained throughout every expansion and pack, except vampires.

There are things I enjoy, the storms and snow are beautiful, the multitasking is essential, I love the photography, the restaurants run great both owning them and eating out with others, love the food stalls and learning new cuisine, love the yoga, I like how the sims themselves look like the graphics for them, love the toddlers, love the drag aspect of cas and build mode.

So, There are things I love about sims 4 but lack of detail and interactions, as stated above, make me feel disconnected from the game. Immersion is missing that I had with previous sims.
    @soko37 Since I literally agree with 99,9% of what you’re saying, you make me curious for that 0,1 ;) Why do you consider multitasking essential? (I ask because for me multitasking actually can be added to that feeling of being disconnected, everything takes way too long and seeing sims doing two things in turns looks too unrealistic for me to make a difference; I get triggered by the use of the word ‘essential’, what aspect would you miss so much that it would be a dealbreaker)

P.s. I doubt if the fact developers worked on previous games is very telling to be honest, because I could imagine it matters who’s in charge. People who were just helping to develop back then, seeing things/having to do things they perhaps didn’t like, might be in charge now and making decisions they consider good (and obviously a part of the fanbase does too), but another part of the fanbase was happier with the old point of view, of the people in charge back then.

Brilliant, it matters who throws you out of the office and why (Will Wright) when you pitch an idea and he said no, get out, it doesn't belong in this genre. lol Or which producers were in charge at the time of when we think the best game ever was produced. Those people are no longer around in Maxis.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    I feel like I came to the point where I do not find TS4 so appealing any more...Someone else?

I feel you all the way, right here. I'm a long-time simmer who first started playing when Livin' Large came out for TS1. You couldn't pull me away from it, the entire run of the game. Same with TS2.

When I got immersed in TS2, going back to Sims 1 felt lacking because of the build controls and CAS. I still enjoyed my TS1 sims and stories that I'd made, but it was hard to really go back and PLAY. With TS3, I adored the new CAS with the patterns you could put on anything, and the open world! Oh man, it was insane. Built a new system to handle it flawlessly, it ran like butter. I was hooked. But I continued to play TS2 for a long time, even downloading cc and writing stories.

With TS3 I didn't play as much. I became a little more focused on sim-creating, lot building, and making pictures (got into the picture competitions here for a while). It was a new element of fun, however. I carried over my favorite family from TS2 and evolved them; all the kids grew up and some had families of their own, moved them all to Bridgeport with some living in the city and some in the hills. I could see all of their homes at once, and they'd visit each other and have parties together and hang out with nieces and nephews and blah blah blah. In that game, the towns felt like communities. You'd see a relative or friend drive past, you'd walk to their house. It felt so open and free, I loved it.

I played those three iterations without much interruption. A long span of no-playing would be maybe a week or two.

TS4. I build. I make sims. I build some more. I try to make an interesting family, euthanize some annoying monster under my traumatized kid's bed. I build a little more. Curse the fact that I don't have Collections for buy mode like in TS2 and TS3. Search endlessly in a list of hundreds of items for one stupid little cc loaf of bread to decorate a kitchen when I would've found it in 5 seconds with a Collections file. Sigh. Admire another lot. Exit the game and play Witcher 3 and get lost in it for hours.

I have tried S O :s H A R D to love TS4 the way I did the others, but it's like realizing a relationship just isn't working out, despite both people being decent human beings and not really hating each other. Sometimes it just doesn't work for you. Your partner could be the next person's dream come true but for you? Meh. So be it. I have accepted the fact that TS4 will forever be just "alright" for me. For someone else it's paradise, it's life, it's everything. It's the way I feel about Witcher 3 lol.

Build mode in TS4 is pretty cool. I love the wall height adjustments, wish we'd had that in TS3. Other elements are neat, like the time-of-day lighting and sun rays thru tall stately windows. My Japanese restaurant is pretty sweet, and being a vet is...interesting. But sometimes it feels so...boxed in. Yes we can, for the most part, do what we want, but there's a feeling of claustrophobia that I didn't experience even with TS2, let alone 3. I agree that the danger/chaos/unpredictability element is missing. Also...I don't know, it just feels like the soul of the Sims series is lacking with this one, whatever sparkly faerie magic that made the others so unique. Not trying to look thru rose-colored glasses because they ALL had teeth-grinding flaws, but for me, TS4 feels like a plastic imitation of the "real thing". If the real thing was Sims past, something with weight and meat which was carefully and uniquely crafted, TS4 feels like the cheaper bootleg that LOOKS like the original but is plastic and off-colored and lightweight and has some words spelled wrong on it or something (Rolex watch vs Molex watch, and the "gold" rubs off... 0_0). It feels lacking in something else that I can't quite put my finger on (others here have expressed it very eloquently, though).

It is belittling and demeaning todays games with all their goals and rules - when I just want to do what I want to do - no goals - no requirements - just build, or grow a family or get any career I feel like it - with no demanding I do or have this or that first... Even if it has some requirements in skills you have ample choices of how to reach that level in the Sims. I have been spoiled and cannot enjoy myself when a silly game makes the rules.

Even the simplest games are demanding - says I have to have so many friends or buy some crazy thing or other to do something or worse earn more time to play. Are they nuts? People like this? I cannot imagine how I ever used to love stuff like that - now it's all so demeaning.

I will simply start a different kind of game in my Sims - believe me most games do not cut it now a days no matter how much we pay for them. Even Fallout 4 quickly went down the tubes for me - and that had a degree of freedom - but not enough to make me who owns the darn game to feel I am in charge and I make the rules. ONLY the Sims games do that - and that's a fact......I am glad I realize myself Sim by and large is the kind of game I prefer. Other games are inferior period because they control us

You definitely have a specific type of game you enjoy, which is really cool. :) When I got heavily involved in TCGs (trading card mobile games), the people I played with pretty much ONLY played those mobile games - not even console or pc games, no Fallout, no Mass Effect or Sims or Civ or FPS's, nada. Barely knew what they were and felt they were all a waste of time. To each his own, for sure. For me...I'm hard pressed to think of very many games in the last...I don't know how many years, a thousand?...that didn't have structure and rules to some degree. PC, console, mobile, sports, board games, VR...it just seems fairly common that games have rules to follow or a goal or quest or challenge or something. Sandbox games can be relaxing, hella fun, creative, and free from all of that, but even Sims isn't unlimited in freedom. My sim kids have to go to school or else. Babies need supervising. They all need to eat, most need to work. Don't pay them bills? Hah, no lights for you, sucker! It's funny because people have so often complained about all of the micromanaging of sims, saying it's too constricting and restrictive. You can't live just anywhere you want if you don't have the money. Without funds, regardless of how badly you want it, you can't buy just anything, not if you don't use a cheat code or mod. You can't be at any level you want in a career if you don't work towards the goal of moving up, and so on. I can build on X number of lots and then kaplooey, no more free lot space, even though I need want them. No expandable town that has a different area to build more lots, or a way to expand your current lot just a liiiiittle bit outside of the boundary, like buying extra tiles in Civilization. No multi-venue lots. I'd like my building to be a museum AND a shop! Haha, you want what now? Please, that's ridiculous, no multi-use lot for you buddy. I can't arrange my cc the way I want in Collection files which would make things soooo muuuuuch better.

I appreciate your passion for Sims, Writin_Reg (you've been around a long time, I remember you from back in the day lol), though I respectfully disagree that all other games are inferior to Sims because of control. In my universe, Witcher, Mass Effect (even Andromeda), Cities Skylines, Civ 6, Skyrim, Legend of Heroes, South Park, Stellaris, Destiny (even Destiny 2), Alice: Madness Returns, Dragon Age (Origins), Diablo 3, Subnautica, Scattergories and Taboo are more fun than TS4, just to name ones off the top of my head that I own. And I'll add TS2 and TS3 to that list. TS1 would be fairly hard to play because of the build limitations, for me.

All that said, it's GOOD that people can get lost in Sims and get so much out of it. The series has been one of the best games I've played in my life and hopefully I'll never get completely tired of it, even with flaws and burnout breaks and even some rage.

THIS!! :smiley:

"Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    If the game was as solid in gameplay as its predecessors we wouldn't care if there was never going to be new packs again. The first three games are never going to see new packs again, yet they all have their passionate players that love, play, and find new things in them. Strong, solid gameplay is the core, the key; all else is just window dressing.
  • GarethlexGarethlex Posts: 159 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    soko37 wrote: »
    I do get disappointed pretty much every time I play because of lack of detail, lack of interactions with objects, some things being cartoony and ridiculous looking like the machine they use now to pull weeds, and lack of connection with the outside world like how we don't even have to gather flowers to arrange them at the table etc...I hate how everything just appears out of thin air and how so many tasks are completed without much or any visible interactions.

Overall the game is in fact watered down and you can tell corners were cut to get things out faster. I play sims 4 way less than I played sims 2 and 3. Lately I only seem to play sims 4 after new content comes out just hoping it will help but the same lack of everything I spoke about above seems to be maintained throughout every expansion and pack, except vampires.

There are things I enjoy, the storms and snow are beautiful, the multitasking is essential, I love the photography, the restaurants run great both owning them and eating out with others, love the food stalls and learning new cuisine, love the yoga, I like how the sims themselves look like the graphics for them, love the toddlers, love the drag aspect of cas and build mode.

So, There are things I love about sims 4 but lack of detail and interactions, as stated above, make me feel disconnected from the game. Immersion is missing that I had with previous sims.
    @soko37 Since I literally agree with 99,9% of what you’re saying, you make me curious for that 0,1 ;) Why do you consider multitasking essential? (I ask because for me multitasking actually can be added to that feeling of being disconnected, everything takes way too long and seeing sims doing two things in turns looks too unrealistic for me to make a difference; I get triggered by the use of the word ‘essential’, what aspect would you miss so much that it would be a dealbreaker)

P.s. I doubt if the fact developers worked on previous games is very telling to be honest, because I could imagine it matters who’s in charge. People who were just helping to develop back then, seeing things/having to do things they perhaps didn’t like, might be in charge now and making decisions they consider good (and obviously a part of the fanbase does too), but another part of the fanbase was happier with the old point of view, of the people in charge back then.

Brilliant, it matters who throws you out of the office and why (Will Wright) when you pitch an idea and he said no, get out, it doesn't belong in this genre. lol Or which producers were in charge at the time of when we think the best game ever was produced. Those people are no longer around in Maxis.

Yeah they are no longer around because they probably didn’t like the pitch for where the game was heading ... that’s usually what happens especially with members of staff that actually like to see change and innovation ! It’s such a sad story !
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    I'm hoping that what they are going to do will make sims4 better. But through most of this, I'm marking time till sims5 hoping it will be better.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    edited October 2018
    I cannot wait to start building again after losing interest for several weeks.

I was impressed with Greg's enthusiasm on the Terrain building livestream. So much so that he had to be reined in a bit to keep to time and not reveal too much. He should be given a stream time of his own, without a controlling guru when the Patch comes out to show how much you can do with it. I love such people who are experts at their job. The option to place stairs from the top floor down to the lower one is a great one for me and the four basement tiers coming with the Patch.
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    I cannot wait to start building again after losing interest for several weeks.

I was impressed with Greg's enthusiasm on the Terrain building livestream. So much so that he had to be reined in a bit to keep to time and not reveal too much. He should be given a stream time of his own, without a controlling guru when the Patch comes out to show how much you can do with it. I love such people who are experts at their job. The option to place stairs from the top floor down to the lower one is a great one for me and the four basement tiers coming with the Patch.

Yes Greg stole the show :D I also got some nice ideas in mind for builds and creating mountains and tropical caves etc. If i can get myself to play the game, I can at least build some new builds in town.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited October 2018
    Well I do hope to try. LOL. I may be good with pcs and my games play pretty flawlessly - but building fancy - not my forte. I do admire amazing builds though - and envy the talent.

Oddly I can draw it, paint it, imagine it even make scale models on graph paper to scale even - it's the doing I skewer - Lord knows why as I certainly don't but hats off to you and those like you that create the brilliance and it all actually works. LOL.

I will for enjoy seeing what you and others like you do and quietly try - It is nice to see you a bit happier today Fur Sim Official. Nice .

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    Well I do hope to try. LOL. I may be good with pcs and my games play pretty flawlessly - but building fancy - not my forte. I do admire amazing builds though - and envy the talent.

Oddly I can draw it, paint it, imagine it even make scale models on graph paper to scale even - it's the doing I skewer - Lord knows why as I certainly don't but hats off to you and those like you that create the brilliance and it all actually works. LOL.

I will for enjoy seeing what you and others like you do and quietly try - It is nice to see you a bit happier today Fur Sim Official. Nice .

@Writin_Reg I don't try to build fantastic houses to get Maxis Favs but admire those who do. I have noticed that the Sims themselves don't worry about fancy homes, all they want to do is to get around them ok with plenty of double spaced floor tiles around and a bed each.

These new tools might make building easier for you especially the one that lets you place the stairs down from the place upstairs you want. Stair placing is an annoyance at the moment, especially in basements and now we'll have four levels of those. You could always have a bunker on top and your Sims live below ground in a wood or forest! I'd have a go if I were you. I tend to start off with the Hallway and go on from there.
    Simburian wrote: »

@Writin_Reg I don't try to build fantastic houses to get Maxis Favs but admire those who do. I have noticed that the Sims themselves don't worry about fancy homes, all they want to do is to get around them ok with plenty of double spaced floor tiles around and a bed each.

These new tools might make building easier for you especially the one that lets you place the stairs down from the place upstairs you want. Stair placing is an annoyance at the moment, especially in basements and now we'll have four levels of those. You could always have a bunker on top and your Sims live below ground in a wood or forest! I'd have a go if I were you. I tend to start off with the Hallway and go on from there.

Oh goodness yes stair placement in basement - I end up with them in the yard not even going into the house - so I really agree on that and 4 basements - that can come in handy. So looking forward to see what I can do with it - hopefully.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• alexandreaalexandrea Posts: 2,432 Member
    Take a break and come back.
    p6tqefj
    edited October 2018
    alexandrea wrote: »
    Take a break and come back.

When I find it getting a bit humdrum - I take and totally change directions from the way I was playing to new ways or way I have not considered prior. I tend not to get hung up on the humdrum - as technically The Sims is one game you are not stuck playing a specific way and should be an endless challenge if you let it. I like that about the Sims games - which I rarely see in other games.

I do say I do not go into deviate play as that is not the kind of person I am and I really could never get into mean or evil play - but I may change direction and play Sims I wouldn't have otherwise tended to play or careers I didn't dabble in much etc.

But perhaps that is just me - lol.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Will Wright thought the deviant and failure was much more interesting than the happy/successful side of these games. I'm glad they added a lot of stuff to the older games such as failure states and what would happen if a Sim isn't fed, or what would happen if no, they don't get that promotion they wanted, or what would happen if I didn't add a smoke alarm. Would I be able to rescue my Sim, or if I didn't would I feel bad? He liked to explore how this affected players and what moral choices they would make, and I have to say it was a lot more fun when mysery and hardship was more interesting and I could explore what if.
  • hevkerhevker Posts: 84 Member
    I run into TS4 burnout sometimes and I find if i've been playing the game alot then I get sick of it, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy the game. It's just a personal thing for me, I get the exact same when playing games on my xbox that I get bored of after a while. Don't get me wrong I understand that TS4 isn't for anyone but I do really enjoy the time I spend playing.

HOWEVER. I can't play without MC command center anymore it just adds so much more excitement and if I ever want to change something up I tweak the settings and find myself having fun again. I also play with mods alot such as new careers, traits ect. At this point i'm less interested in terrain tools (even though I do see the want/need for them) but I would love a personality system where traits and emotions actually matter. Also more supernaturals as vampires is amazing!
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Will Wright thought the deviant and failure was much more interesting than the happy/successful side of these games. I'm glad they added a lot of stuff to the older games such as failure states and what would happen if a Sim isn't fed, or what would happen if no, they don't get that promotion they wanted, or what would happen if I didn't add a smoke alarm. Would I be able to rescue my Sim, or if I didn't would I feel bad? He liked to explore how this affected players and what moral choices they would make, and I have to say it was a lot more fun when mysery and hardship was more interesting and I could explore what if.

I agree. Will wright also recognised that players preferred to explore failure states. Which makes sense. I do miss that aspect in the sims 4, it makes the game feel shallow. If my sim doesnt care he just lost his job or his child or spouse why should i?
    edited October 2018

I agree. Will wright also recognized that players preferred to explore failure states. Which makes sense. I do miss that aspect in the sims 4, it makes the game feel shallow. If my sim doesn't care he just lost his job or his child or spouse why should i?

Well I would care - as I would ask myself how would I feel if that was me. That's the difference - even if the sims seems oblivious to something - it may still bother me and I strive to not let those things happen - just because. I do play the other Sims games and well know the failure states in Sims 2 - I don't happen to enjoy it so I purposely try to avoid those kind of things happening. I scrambled probably harder than I have to just to not see the stress and avoid it happening. I get no joy from pain of anyone even Sims. Sorry I can't enjoy those kind of things - I just can't.

I mean when I say I am not a deviate player - I am not kidding - at all.

In dreams - I LIVE!