Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

As an Expansion Pack, does "Get Famous" look overpriced?

Comments

• RustyCicuitRustyCicuit Posts: 49 Member
    I am not sure why OP chose not to include "too early to tell" option. As is right now this thread was started too early, it would have made more sense to post it after first expansion related stream, when there is significantly more information to make assessment. To be honest, the trailer did not reveal much besides "Yeah, this is a celebrity themed expansion".
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    I am not sure why OP chose not to include "too early to tell" option. As is right now this thread was started too early, it would have made more sense to post it after first expansion related stream, when there is significantly more information to make assessment. To be honest, the trailer did not reveal much besides "Yeah, this is a celebrity themed expansion".

Agree. I can't remember if I votef but I think its better to have this down the road. I am also waiting for more information to come
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    No, Get Famous does not look overpriced
    I mean, I think all the packs are probably overpriced. But, it’s no more overpriced than the other EPs. I think it will have the same amount of content.
  • ahoychristieahoychristie Posts: 88 Member
    edited October 2018
    Nope. I personally don't think so.
    We've only seen a teaser. And there were surprises hinted at too.
    When you think about all the work that goes into them.. It's not just the "coding". Concept art and design, animations, voices, music, even the hours spent brainstorming.. those people all need to get paid. But this looks like a really good pack! New systems and apparently there's heaps you can do with the acting career. Plus when you think about how we're kiiinda getting terrain tools and another stylist career for free. $50 (aud) sounds good to me. I'm too much of a fan to care though. This is the only game I play so I don't think twice about that "add to cart" button when a new pack drops :lol:

If you didn't think $50 was too much for "get together" which a majority seem to LOVE, I don't see why you'd think $50 is too much for this pack unless you just didn't care for celebs. Seems like it's gonna be just as cool.
  • JeanJean Posts: 1,243 Member
    I am not going to add my vote. You can't say if it's overpriced if we literally just saw a small snippet and a reveal trailer. So no, I don't know if it's overpriced because we simply don't have all the information needed.
  • DarkSuperNinjaDarkSuperNinja Posts: 1,204 Member
    edited October 2018
    Yes, Get Famous currently looks overpriced
    Get Famous's content is roughly half of Sims 3 Late Night (the other half being City Living) for double the price.

If I've learnt anything from TS4, it's that what we see in the trailer is what we're getting; it's extremely rare that there's anything else other than what's in the trailer. It's nothing like TS3, where there was usually a load of hidden stuff or background content that you find for yourself 3 months after release and go "wow, THAT was a feature?! Cool!".

So yeah, I think it's overpriced, but every game pack for TS4 is, so by comparison to other S4 packs it's not; TS4 has been overpriced since day 1, when comparing it to the volume of content to any other game in the series, at least.

That's just my opinion anyways; if I do end up buying it, it will 100% be when it's on a massive discount, as I have with most of TS4's expansions.

And yes I'm super cynical about TS4 nowadays; I feel like it's just got so much wasted potential, hidden behind layers of overpriced packs and lackluster content!
  • momahl114momahl114 Posts: 14 New Member
    I think it’s too early to tell but it really is the world that will make or break it for me. From the information I gathered, there are 2 residential areas, a park, and starlight boulevard. If there are 2 nightlife areas (1 exclusive for celebrities and 1 not exclusive for example) then it will make it more worth it for me. Even if one of those is starlight blvd and the other is a name unknown.

I’m surprised about the lack of concern form the sims community. I’m starting to run out of room for my builds and do not want to create a new save. I’m not alone in that.

The OG worlds each have 21 lots, Windenburg has 23 lots, but Brindleton Bay only has 16. That’s only one more lot than Newcrest. (Not including San myshuno because that is a different type of world) If the new world is 20+ lots then I will definitely vote no it is not overpriced.
  • julienrob2004julienrob2004 Posts: 4,173 Member
    edited October 2018
    To me it is overpriced , simply because there are brand new games coming out for the pc around that time and they are all cheaper than this expansion , and expansions for other games are all cheaper than this
    The other reason is because if it has the same amount of content in it that the others have then it will feel like a lot has been left out to be added later at extra cost

My big fear with this pack is everyone on the neighbourhood suddenly having a star rating or needing a star rating to get into clubs . IN TS3 as soon as your sim spoke to a celebrity they then became celebs as well
  • ManakoHimeManakoHime Posts: 285 Member
    I can't really say at the moment I will have to wait and see a little more about the EP before I can really say but I still preordered at cdkeys as it was 50% off so I'm happy lol
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Compared to Superstar, which was $29.00 it is over priced.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Compared to Superstar, which was $29.00 it is over priced.

Inflation Results
    $29 in 2003 equals $39.52 in 2018.

https://www.saving.org/inflation/inflation.php?amount=29&year=2003
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,862 Member
    I selected no and not just based on what we know about the pack thus far but because I think $39.99 is not asking too much for a pack developed and released in 2018. The following article is 3 years old and maybe the cost of developing a game has increased even more since then. I'm just surprised expansion packs haven't increased to $49.99

Video Games Should Be More Expensive

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2015/04/24/video-games-should-be-more-expensive/#66d92b316eb9
  • phantom121294phantom121294 Posts: 151 Member
    edited October 2018

Yea...no

In fact the main reason why this is not the case is in the bottom of the article under the update section. The video game market has greatly expanded thanks to consoles and huge marketing campaigns. The fact that destiny 1 had a 500 million dollar budge and still made a profit day ones says it all. The article listed fails to actually justify its claim with any data other than the authors opinion. His response to the growing market and the reduced cost of distribution is "I don't think so". The fact that a game with a 500 million dollar development cost made a profit on day one and the fact that GTA V made 1 billion dollars in sales in 3 days (against its 265 million dollar budget) and has made 6 billion since launch simply proves this false. Furthermore EA (the company that owns this title) even admitted they didn't need micro-transactions or anything other than base game sales to make a profit in their finance briefings.

www.polygon.com/2015/2/9/8006373/destiny-hit-activision
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto_V
    ign.com/articles/2018/04/09/gta-5-has-made-more-money-than-any-film-book-or-game-says-analyst

Ohh yea that last link actually states that GTA has the most sales out of any media in history so....that too. There is more proof that I can provide that generalizes this across the board but I'm not going to go around and collect sales data from base games. Micro-transactions and other predatory anti-consumer practices (special editions and season passes included) are absolutely not necessary and only harm the gaming medium as a whole.

Specs: i9-9900k, SLI 2080ti MSI SeaHawk EK X, 32g 3000hz Corsair RAM, 2TB M.2 Samsung SSD, EVGA 1600W. Custom loop done by myself with dual 560mm radiators.
    JOVa2Sn.jpg

• WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,381 Member
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »
    People who voted "No", may you iterate? Currently, what's diffirentiating it from a normal game pack is a normal-sized world which doesn't justify the extra $20 slapped on the product. I am getting it either-way since sales are often 2 weeks after launch :P but can't justify spending $40.

Movie sets and a reputation system aren't that impressive. More complex systems have been introduced in game packs such as Parenthood & Dine Out.

lmao at me thinking it would be "normal-sized" 15 days ago. Oh boy, was I wrong
    Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Rae357Rae357 Posts: 922 Member
    I mostly like build/buy. Some issues I've seen are thing like fences with no matching gates, no kitchen stuff(but 4 bars?). I really think it would have felt better if they'd added one or two more careers. Not even interactive, but maybe like City Living with work from home options?
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited October 2018
    Yes. From what I've seen so far, Get Famous wasn't even supposed to be an EP.

For example, with an EP, I would have also expected a makeup artist/stylist career. A career that allows the player-created characters to man the makeup and wardrobe stations on the movie studio lot. Those stations could have also been used with other packs in order to create a beauty salon or to add a stylist area to clothing stores.

Instead, it seems as if those stations are filled by inactive characters or NPCs (just like Dine out or GTW).

I would have thrown money at EA for a genuine career that made use of those objects, rather than, say, the silly fish pond or the out of place, stalkerish drone that follows Sims around. (Which they neither notice or react to, btw).

In addition, I would have expected to see movie theaters revived in the series. Or tours of the movie studio lot, so that player Sims didn't have to belong to the acting career in order to visit. (I really dislike those career exclusive lots, to tell the truth.)

At this time, GF just doesn't feel or look like an EP to me.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • VittaVitta Posts: 26 Member
    I haven't seen any cons except the lots of Del Sol Valley to consider Get Famous as an overpriced pack. DSV has a stunning view from the Pinnacles, buy and build mode objects look rich and absolutely in love the new clothes.

Get to Work established an amazing ground for the future careers and Acting just fits there perfectly. My only concern is, it probably would be a bit boring after a while as usual. I can't wait to try out Media and Music Production, too.
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    I think it does, but maybe for a weird reason. Both Vampires and Parenthood developed new systems that were absolutely amazing. But that's the thing -- they had to build the new systems. It looks like Get Famous is using those plus GTW's active careers, which is fine (they're great systems), but they have already been developed so the bulk of that work is already done.

I guess I still measure Sims 4 EPs to Sims 3 EPs so I often walk away from a purchase feeling slightly ripped off.
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited October 2018
    With more new information and from what I've seen I still more than see it as an expansion pack. I mean, if one doesn't feel it's not worth the value then it's best to wait for when the pack will more than likely go on sale a week or two after it launches. Target for one always seems to have some sort of deal with sims game in being on sale or just waiting for origin to launch a 50% sale. I'll take any sales, since I just like saving money in general less I'm just really eager to get my hands on the pack right off, which I have with a couple of select packs.

-New Acting Career
    -Free lance as a streamer or sims can mix their own music to gain royalties
    -Many game play objects
    -A vast catalog in build/buy
    -New skills
    -Extensive CAS items for male and females
    -A new world (Whether one thinks it's too small or not)
    -Fame and reputation system that extends outside of acting and the new world
    -Able to make exclusive lounges/VIP areas on lots for just famous sims
    -New lot traits, aspirations
    -New interactions, new walk cycles

Feel like it all this qualifies as a EP being bigger than a GP
    5vJrxmT.png
  • MarnettiMarnetti Posts: 1,047 Member
    It’s currently 50/ 50. Whew...
    ~I just like lifestates. Is that too much to ask for?~
    tumblr_p4xbgrS3wO1tltr42o1_500.gif
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Yes, it looks overpriced, just all all the packs look overpriced. It's why I wait for sales.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited October 2018
    Now that we're getting more information, more people seem to think it's overpriced.

Why didn't I ask "Too early to tell?" Well, because you wouldn't be able to change your mind later with more information anyway. If you thought it was too early to tell, you could just not choose a poll for a while. Or at all.

As for the idea of too early, well that's an opinion really.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    edited October 2018
    Every EP in TS4 (apart from Get Together) was overpriced in my opinion. This one is no different, but I don't think it has less than the others. So I am not sure what to vote for. It is overpriced, yes, but they all are so this one is no different for the standard we have been getting so far EP wise.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    Every EP in TS4 (apart from Get Together) was overpriced in my opinion. This one is no different, but I don't think it has less than the others. So I am not sure what to vote for. It is overpriced, yes, but they all are so this one is no different for the standard we have been getting so far EP wise.

Well, you say it's overpriced. It's not like the poll is asking you to compare it to other overpriced packs.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.