Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

**TS3* Build-n-Share Challenge #236 **Empty Nest** **Due 31st March 2021**

Comments

• suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM #206 - We Need Some Space

NAME: suzses
    LINK TO LOT: Not yet uploaded - not sure if it will be later
    LINK TO MEDIA: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmjohwn5

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: Not this time. Since I built three habitats, I didn't have any time left over for the actual crew. I did, however, make some indications in the staff quarters decor of probable roles, interests, etc.

LEVEL: Advanced
    LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 30x30 custom placed lot on the outskirts of the Area 52 side of Lucky Palms; cost is $349,016.

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: As already mentioned, this was my third stab at building a Mars colony prototype. I started with the premise that, as practice, the crew would actually build it from plans and materials that would be available to them once they head for Mars. So, as I went along, I began to think I was overdoing some things and my third attempt, while it incorporates some of what I like about the first two, is considerably scaled back.

Other considerations were to provide comfortable surroundings for the crew with private spaces and earth-like, soothing colors; to provide well-defined, convenient work spaces, and to divide the structure(s) in a way that certain areas could be closed off in case of system failures or other emergencies. There is one entry from the outside with security access panel controls (thinking they more likely need to worry about intruders in Lucky Palms than on Mars, but you never know ;) ). Inside that area is storage space for surface gear, a clean-up area for crew returning to the base, and from it, access to all other areas of the habitat. It also acts as an airlock to preserve the interior atmosphere.

I've made a lot more comments along with my pictures than is my usual habit. I've found that on my Flickr display I can never see the comments no matter where I set my zoom level unless I scroll down. This is just to let you know to please scroll to see the comments.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes, please.
    CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: None.
    TWITTER TAG: (entirely optional but makes it easier for us to tag you)
    FACEBOOK PROFILE: (entirely optional but makes it easier for us to tag you)
    TUMBLR LINK: (entirely optional but makes it easier for us to tag you)

SPACE FOR PICTURES: (limit 2)

My favorite two shots . . .

44304442054_92a273aa3b_c.jpgParting Shot - A Nighttime view of the habitat by Sue H, on Flickr

44963175742_137f495ff7_c.jpgGreenhouse - Water filtration system by Sue H, on Flickr

Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    Thanks so much for the time extension :) I did have this finished last night, or maybe I should say very early this morning since it was past midnight my time, but I guess I was too tired to hit the post button. At least I saved the draft. It was still sitting unposted at the bottom of my screen when I got up this morning. :D
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    @suzses So glad you got it done!!
  • KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    @MeestorMark and @suzses Wow! I only have one word for both - Amazing! So glad to see them both.
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    edited October 2018
    Great write up and awesome build @MeestorMark! I love the gray and white contrast on the buildings and the way you basically connected three separate buildings into one. I like the way a solar panel will lie down to power the rovers too. Great high-contrast color scheme! And, those glass roof pieces are really the way to go! Nice job!
    @suzses - oops, sorry, missed your post somehow earlier! I absolutely LOVE the shape of the glass roof top! Great color scheme too! And, you seem to have thought of everything! I love that you included small animal cases, gems, and a scrap heap!!! Too awesome!
  • missroxormissroxor Posts: 392 Member
    Just discovered (possibly rediscovered, I don’t remember) this thread and I’m gutted I missed the mars challenge, that sounds right up my street! But I’m in awe of all the entries. I LOVE when simmers get really imaginative and use objects and effects to represent things that don’t exist in game, there were some really brilliant ideas in that round 😃

I might try to join in this round but we’ll see, my farms always turn out very samey and predictable 😒
    @missroxor well, what a great opportunity to try something different and unpredictable!

You can also still build a Mars habitat, even if not for a challenge. :)
  • iampes23iampes23 Posts: 704 Member
    Is anyone going to post, or is it just way too early? I am done and just loaded my pics. lol I don't want to be the first one...
    LOL Someone has to be first. :) Usually someone posts on the early side. As for me, I haven't even started anything yet, so it won't be me this time.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    Way too early for me. I'm with @suzses - I haven't even started anything either!
  • KesminlixKesminlix Posts: 252 Member
    I'm done with building the shell... just need to decorate, take pictures, and upload :D
    Alright, alright...let me label the pictures and I will be first. rofl I was going to enter the family this time, but the fireplace kept catching fire. I think it best they just keep to themselves, the little pyros!
    edited October 2018
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM #207 - Back to Their Roots
    NAME: iampes23
    LINK TO LOT: https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9259153
    just a shell of the house and garage: https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9259152#
    LINK TO MEDIA: https://imgur.com/gallery/L9T1OCJ
    OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: na
    LEVEL: advanced
    LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 2400 Pinochle Point, 40x30, $64,828
    LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: Since the Chens wanted a simpler life, no major electronics were used in this build, aside from a washing machine. I modified an antique floor plan for a real farmhouse, which I found on the internet (included in the slideshow).
    CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: yes, please
    CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: my own patterns

SPACE FOR PICTURES: (limit 2)
    Z4infos.jpg
    RVAQWda.jpg
    Post edited by iampes23 on
    Maybe you need to move the rug and logs a bit further away from the flames?! Great family. Loved looking at all the pics of the fires too! Perfect home and house plan you found! Nice job.
    ciane wrote: »
    Maybe you need to move the rug and logs a bit further away from the flames?! Great family. Loved looking at all the pics of the fires too! Perfect home and house plan you found! Nice job.

Thanks very much! The rug is not a rug--just the wooden floor repatterned. But those darn Faux Logs need to be moved, yes! lol Luckily the cats were not near the flames at all!

@iampes23 Awesome! I usually post faster, but this month I'm totally dedicated to other projects. Which means I won't get it posted until late. :D I have a start, but I think I need to reduce it some.
    @iampes23 Awesome! I usually post faster, but this month I'm totally dedicated to other projects. Which means I won't get it posted until late. :D I have a start, but I think I need to reduce it some.

So I am not the only one who likes space in their builds..a little too much? rofl I totally understand the reduction part :( When it is me designing for me, my houses are huge and grand. These challenges are a little tough with such tiny budgets and small lots, but there has to be a challenge in the challenge. :D

iampes23 wrote: »

So I am not the only one who likes space in their builds..a little too much? rofl I totally understand the reduction part :( When it is me designing for me, my houses are huge and grand.

lol Actually I'm usually the opposite! I tend to try to build to more realistic proportions which seems to always been very tight for Sims, but this time around I just ended up with a bit larger build than I was going for so want to reduce it down. But yes, the budget definitely adds to the challenges ;)
    I did find a farm house I plan to sim, but I've been working on something more Halloween related lately.
    ciane wrote: »
    I did find a farm house I plan to sim, but I've been working on something more Halloween related lately.
    I was hoping for a Halloween-ish challenge here, but it did not happen. I might build something and share anyway, since we have 20 more days on this challenge. :D
    Well, I did build the house and put stuff in it. I spent exactly 65k buying lots of cheap stuff; but... I thought I'd make the house a bit smaller so I could buy a few more things (like real lights, some flowers, a bench, and coverings for all the windows). It took me all day to basically make one side of the house one tile less and the other side of the house two tiles less! I like the symmetry much better and the smaller footprint, but I didn't gain that much extra money to play with. Still... I'm liking it. I just have to CAS everything now and finish spending the extra money.
    @ciane This sounds somewhat familiar! I decided I'd better get with it and started my house, actually completely finished my house at $64,990 (after I gave up on a couple things). I knew it was a little too big, most of its lights aren't "real" ;) and the windows are bare. But, I have no intention of building more than one again this month, and I decided bare windows go fine with this one. :D So, if I can motivate myself with the picture taking, I may just have the second submission this month.

Oh, and I just had a nap and dreamed I accidentally reformatted my computer and lost much of my sims stuff. It was so real to me that I woke up depressed that my farmhouse was gone. teehee Maybe there's some motivation in there to get that submission rolling . . .
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    It's the garden stuff that is expensive! And it wouldn't let me sell stuff back or delete. I have to put a sim in there to harvest everything if I want some more money. I sold some stuff I wanted to keep, but it wasn't essential; so... I have a bare bones kind of place.
    The garden stuff is indeed more expensive than I realized! I found some way around that problem with not being able to delete the plants, but I can't really remember what it was at the moment. Maybe I was only able to do it if it was at the same time I was putting the plant in - not sure - will try to figure it out for you.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top